Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/3/2024 10:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701]
Plumbers get a pass for charging $4000 to replace a $900 water heater.

General contractors get a pass for charging $87,000 for a simple bathroom remodel.

Why do mechanics get shit on when they charge $500 for brake jobs?

That shop bill isn't cheap.  The shop equipment is insanely expensive.  It costs a shop many $1000's per month, just in subscription fees for spotty "OE  support" with multiple scan tools to enable programming, etc.

The parts mark-up isn't anything close to the HVAC guy's 900% mark-up on a compressor capacitor.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I do my own mechanic work.

I do my own remodels.

I do my own plumbing.

I do my own HVAC.

Thread fail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The other trades don't get a pass. people expect them to do free shit too. I've never understood it either. We usually get the "I can do it myself" or I know a guy who can do it cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure about free, but they are used a lot more often.    some of them all of the sudden doubled or tripled their rates.  also many try to rip people off by lying about what the car needs. So I guess people want to rip them off back? or warranties that never cover what's busted.

I know I have been charged to fix something that was not broken, and other times brought it in and told its fine when its not.  that was the dealer both times, aside from them tearing a six inch hole in my leather seats.

I think people also forget new car prices have gotten crazy, so do the shops follow.

I mean 500 for all 4 brakes is reasonable.  For just front or rear its a bit much, except maybe for the oddball car with crazy rare parts.

Brakes can be done in 20-30 minutes for disc if no cutting rotors or calipers need replacing.   might be why some places just try to do brakes and tires.  faster turn around.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
hhhaahaahaaa! Try spending 13-14 years being a gunsmith! "Wow, that much? I saw a youtube video and it looks easy." Glad I left the biz. No one, and I mean no fucking one is a bigger squeak than the average gun owner.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I would throw up if I had to pay $500 for someone to change my brakes!

With that said, I'm willing to pay someone to do something I know is above my skill set. I do my research or course. I'm not willing to over pay.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By usmcdean:
hhhaahaahaaa! Try spending 13-14 years being a gunsmith! "Wow, that much? I saw a youtube video and it looks easy." Glad I left the biz. No one, and I mean no fucking one is a bigger squeak than the average gun owner.
View Quote

I will admit, you have it rough.  That's a hell of nitch to make a living in.

Not many people willing to pay big money to fix a gun when you can literally buy a functioning gun or rifle for a few hundo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By somedude:
not sure about free, but they are used a lot more often.    some of them all of the sudden doubled or tripled their rates.  also many try to rip people off by lying about what the car needs. So I guess people want to rip them off back? or warranties that never cover what's busted.

I know I have been charged to fix something that was not broken, and other times brought it in and told its fine when its not.  that was the dealer both times, aside from them tearing a six inch hole in my leather seats.

I think people also forget new car prices have gotten crazy, so do the shops follow.

I mean 500 for all 4 brakes is reasonable.  For just front or rear its a bit much, except maybe for the oddball car with crazy rare parts.

Brakes can be done in 20-30 minutes for disc if no cutting rotors or calipers need replacing.   might be why some places just try to do brakes and tires.  faster turn around.
View Quote
I don't think an auto shop will just do a pad slap which is all they need sometimes. Turning modern rotors is a death sentence for them though. All the more reason 2 DIY.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
HVAC $800 dollars in labor for 2 hours of work replacing a slide in evaporator coil. I got robbed. They didn't even top off the refrigerant because he ran out and when I had them come out to refill it they tried said the EVAP coil was leaking again and wanted to schedule a replacement. Thieves! They got fired. AC is still running strong 2 years later.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone is expected to work for free.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
$500 for a legit brake job? That’s a deal. Unfortunately, I’d wager at most shops, you’re getting a pad-slap for that rate. 30 minutes worth of labor with questionable parts… and oh by the way, they recommend another $1-2k worth of repairs while they are in there.

Good shops that do honest work at fair rates are hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If you’re a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, or in the trades, you’re ALWAYS going to have people coming at you for discounted or free work or advice.

It got so bad for me having people wanting me to work on their cars for a few beers (I don’t drink) or a lousy pizza on my time off, that I just started handing people my business card and said “make an appointment at work.” I’ve had friends and family that would call at all hours, even as late as midnight on a work night for free advice or “could you possibly come over and look at it?”

It’s just something you get used to, which reminds me I need to get the parts ready to work on my granddaughters car this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

I do my own remodels.

I do my own plumbing.

I do my own HVAC.

Thread fail.
View Quote

Absolutely.  And welding.  And dirt work. And electrical.  Not to mention tractor and truck mechanic.  Then grow
thousands of tons of food for ungrateful simps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

General contractors get a pass for charging $87,000 for a simple bathroom remodel.

That shop bill isn't cheap.  The shop equipment is insanely expensive.  It costs a shop many $1000's per month, just in subscription fees for spotty "OE  support" with multiple scan tools to enable programming, etc.

The parts mark-up isn't anything close to the HVAC guy's 900% mark-up on a compressor capacitor.

View Quote

I love my mechanics and I don’t question the price on anything.  They present the choices on how to approach a problem and let me decide.

The Subaru dealership on the other hand fucked a brake job and I lost my brakes when all the fluid leaked out and just barely avoided an accident.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]

I do my own remodels.

I do my own plumbing.

I do my own HVAC.

Thread fail.
View Quote

It's always this fucking guy.  Lol.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Staggunner:

Absolutely.  And welding.  And dirt work. And electrical.  Not to mention tractor and truck mechanic.  Then grow
View Quote

And this guy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#17]
I only get upset when the labor hour estimate clearly does not align with what is advised by the repair manual.

Anyone with half a brain can look that shit up in 2024.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I do my own remodels.

I do my own plumbing.

I do my own HVAC.

Thread fail.

Ha ha. Truth is, I have to. I don’t have the money to pay to have it done.

I do my own remodels.

I do my own plumbing.

I do my own HVAC.

Thread fail.

Electric good, welding is very meh but I’m pretty bad at dirt work. I promise I’ll end up raking it if it has to be smooth.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#19]
*laughs in graphic designer*

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I dunno about Auto's
I charge $100 per hour (Labor) while working on Harley Davidson's and other bikes + Parts and Brake Fluid cost
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Because the p0446 is still on even after I paid to swap the solenoid, vent, pressure sensor, charcoal cannister, and gas cap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Why do mechanics replace my spark plugs when I came in to have my tires balanced?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By somedude:

View Quote

$500 is just decent parts to do pads and rotors for my 21 year old German. German mechanic labor is $180+/hr. $500 would be a fantastic price to have someone else do the work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Same reason people expect medical professionals to work for cheap?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]

And this guy.
View Quote

You guys in the trades charge plenty.  I'm okay with that.  Us guys in Ag can't afford youse guys.  
If we sit in a dentist chair for 40 minutes it's $1200.  That's rape.
Ag gets no say in prices.  You do.  Don't like your situation?  Get a different job.  You don't have a few million invested.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly62:
Why do mechanics replace my spark plugs when I came in to have my tires balanced?
View Quote

We don't unless you approve the work.  Generally it's based on the  schedule provided by the manufacture; which we show you up front.  Yes, you have to change your spark plugs.  We go by the manufactures suggested interval.  We're all just working.  I'm not going to pull a coil and plug to try and sell you plugs. Stop taking your car to Jiffylube.  Really.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By macman37:
*laughs in graphic designer*

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I replaced the brakes and rotors on my 01 Tundra today and now my sciatica is absolutely killing me. $500 seems like a bargain now!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Same reason people expect medical professionals to work for cheap?
View Quote

You mean the $349 office visits just to have you come back in a month. Health care is the biggest ripoff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#30]
It's the same with us computer guys who run our own business.
I thought when I was younger I was in the right business but as time has gone on it just pays the bills.

I should have gone into HVAC or a specific type of construction and started my own business as it seems people are OK with dropping $10k-$20k on that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Leaving something out of the equation, quality of work, speed of work, warranty of work
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#32]
Originally Posted By BoiseG:
I replaced the brakes and rotors on my 01 Tundra today and now my sciatica is absolutely killing me. $500 seems like a bargain now!  
View Quote

"You changed my oil and now my daughter's pregnant!"
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HurtzDoughnut:
If you’re a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, or in the trades, you’re ALWAYS going to have people coming at you for discounted or free work or advice.

It got so bad for me having people wanting me to work on their cars for a few beers (I don’t drink) or a lousy pizza on my time off, that I just started handing people my business card and said “make an appointment at work.” I’ve had friends and family that would call at all hours, even as late as midnight on a work night for free advice or “could you possibly come over and look at it?”

It’s just something you get used to, which reminds me I need to get the parts ready to work on my granddaughters car this weekend.
View Quote
yep

I get the "can you look at this?" At every family function.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#34]

We don't unless you approve the work.  Generally it's based on the  schedule provided by the manufacture; which we show you up front.  Yes, you have to change your spark plugs.  We go by the manufactures suggested interval.  We're all just working.  I'm not going to pull a coil and plug to try and sell you plugs. Stop taking your car to Jiffylube.  Really.
View Quote

Sorry but Chevy said they warranted the tires so they do the work, didn’t say shit about plugs…yet they felt the need to replace them. At least Jiffy lube wipes the oil plug off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#35]

You guys in the trades charge plenty.  I'm okay with that.  Us guys in Ag can't afford youse guys.  
If we sit in a dentist chair for 40 minutes it's $1200.  That's rape.
Ag gets no say in prices.  You do.  Don't like your situation?  Get a different job.  You don't have a few million invested.
View Quote

Done a lot of ag concrete work, as well as building containment systems for fertilizer. My first jobs were working on seed farms detasseling corn & hoeing soybean rows.
If you want to play, you've got to pay. Don't like it? do it yourself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

$500 for a brake job? Is that labor only? Is that for all four? If that is parts and labor for all four with quality parts, I'd pay that all day long. Around here, all four is twice that plus, and the parts may or may not be junk. Last Sunday I r&r'ed the front rotors and pads in the truck in 30 min of my time plus $200 in quality parts.

What home mechanics get pissed about is the fact that every shop job has a pre-determined job time/duration when, in fact, they are quite inflated. That's not even taking into account the inflated rate which is more than most people make "per hour". And I understand overhead and hidden labor costs, but when we see a half hour job billed out at 3 hours and an inflated rate, we're not happy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll tell you why, because your line of work has a history of ripping customers off, which is not uncommon in the trades industry, generally speaking. I would guess 80-90% of your customers come in with their guard up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
$500 for a legit brake job? That’s a deal. Unfortunately, I’d wager at most shops, you’re getting a pad-slap for that rate. 30 minutes worth of labor with questionable parts… and oh by the way, they recommend another $1-2k worth of repairs while they are in there.

Good shops that do honest work at fair rates are hard to find.
View Quote

The last time my wife's car was in the shop, they said she needed rear pads and rotors. I didn't know when I could get around to it. I thought ok it'll be $200-350, $400 at the absolute highest.

I didn't really feel like doing it and at this point in my life I've got more $$$ than I have time.

I picked up the car and when they said $600 just for the rear brakes and rotors on a Honda Odyssey, I felt like I had gotten anally penetrated. $600 for some damn rear brakes.

I can do brakes all the way around in my garage with no lift in about 20 minutes/wheel.

I can goto napa and buy rear brakes and rotors for $210. I can buy front and rear for $450ish so $600 is reasonable. $600 just for the rear, made me never want to do business with that place again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I find it funny that some people think they are special for being asked for help.  It literally happens to everyone who has a job that pays more than minimum wage.

I am happy to help friends and family when they have a problem related to what I do as an occupation.  My sister actually called me a few hours ago with a problem related to my desk job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By StarJumper:

The last time my wife's car was in the shop, they said she needed rear pads and rotors. I didn't know when I could get around to it. I thought ok it'll be $200-350, $400 at the absolute highest.

I didn't really feel like doing it and at this point in my life I've got more $$$ than I have time.

I picked up the car and when they said $600 just for the rear brakes and rotors on a Honda Odyssey, I felt like I had gotten anally penetrated. $600 for some damn rear brakes.

I can do brakes all the way around in my garage with no lift in about 20 minutes/wheel.

I can goto napa and buy rear brakes and rotors for $210. I can buy front and rear for $450ish so $600 is reasonable. $600 just for the rear, made me never want to do business with that place again.
View Quote

Don’t talk bad about auto shops, you’ll be accused of going to Jiffy Lube.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly62:

Sorry but Chevy said they warranted the tires so they do the work, didn’t say shit about plugs…yet they felt the need to replace them. At least Jiffy lube wipes the oil plug off.
View Quote

That's a bum deal.  You brought in your truck for tires and they changed your plugs without authorization?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:00:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillbilly62] [#42]

That's a bum deal.  You brought in your truck for tires and they changed your plugs without authorization?
View Quote

I haven’t told you about Ford doing a recall on my Explorers wiper motor then disconnecting the cruise control cable due to a recall that had yet to be issued. Right before I go on an 1600 mile trip on the interstate to Indiana.

ETA: they had to order the cable so I had to wait 2 weeks after the trip. Fucking losers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By usmcdean:
View Quote

I work for the man

because working for myself as a gunsmith id be poor. and broke
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Everybody in the trades think they should get paid like doctors.  And they do.  

You can't blame them.  Idiots and the hapless abound.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
I only get upset when the labor hour estimate clearly does not align with what is advised by the repair manual.

Anyone with half a brain can look that shit up in 2024.
View Quote

There has been a trend the last few years of the labor guide times being manipulated down due to auto insurance basically owning the collision industry, which trickles down to the same labor guide independent shops use.

I look up jobs billed 6 years ago and now that same job pays .3 less. Plus those guidelines are also based on new cars and do not account for corrosion.

Every industry operates on profit margin. But everyone complains when the automotive repair industry attempts to make the same margin.

The "fix this car that is driven at 80mph as cheap as possible" bullshit does not fly in other repair industries, like plumbing, HVAC, electrical repair, or aircraft maintenance and repair. Makes no sense to me why people want us to repair things in a way that would put countless people at risk and get pissed when we refuse to do so.

Also parts cost has inflated 30 to 50 % in some cases from what they cost us just 3 years ago and labor costs have increased by at least 30% in the same timeframe.

Tools also have gone up tremendously. 13k for a fully functional scanner, I have 4 of them. 12k per lift, got 6 of those. 9k for that 1234yf ac machine. 85k for an alignment rack. The same set of sockets that cost $125 10 years ago now cost 3-400 dollars for one rail.

Taxes have increased, as have business license fees, utilities and insurance.

People come in and tell me YouTube says it takes 11 minutes and that's all it should cost, oh and you better fucking give me the part for that online price that's below my actual cost.

Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#46]
No problem paying whatever my mechanic charges. He's not cheap but he's a pro and I trust him.

thats worth something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#47]
A lot of my friends are specialized mechanics some just do Corvette's, some modifying engines, superchargers, turbo's,tuning, Other Transmission's. Pre Blue Def Diesel rebuilds.
They love busting contractor's and skilled trades customers ball's when it comes to price of service's.

The Diesel people that haul Generators to cell phone towers during power outages, snow plows, charter buses are the only people that don't whine about the prices as long as the vehicle doesn't have to comeback.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Same goes for my boat dude
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:07:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#49]
Originally Posted By MeanTime:

$500 for a brake job? Is that labor only? Is that for all four? If that is parts and labor for all four with quality parts, I'd pay that all day long. Around here, all four is twice that plus, and the parts may or may not be junk. Last Sunday I r&r'ed the front rotors and pads in the truck in 30 min of my time plus $200 in quality parts.

What home mechanics get pissed about is the fact that every shop job has a pre-determined job time/duration when, in fact, they are quite inflated. That's not even taking into account the inflated rate which is more than most people make "per hour". And I understand overhead and hidden labor costs, but when we see a half hour job billed out at 3 hours and an inflated rate, we're not happy.
View Quote

But you're good with the $3000 water heater job that you could install yourself for $900 all in?  Fuck it. Go get some jack stands and a jack from harbor freight.  

Oh, you're doing rear pads?  That requires at least some kind of scan tool that can retract the calipers. What's that cost?  Say Autel?  The cheapest of the cheap.  $1500, min.  Oh, we can get it done for you in a few hours because we have a $14,000 hoist so we don't have to drag a harbor freight floor jack across the shop.  

I thought it would be easier to use an air compressor...that requires a plumber to run the air lines from the compressor to the shop.  Oh, I had to pay the electrician another few thou to wire up that air compressor and the rest of the shop.  

I loves telling clients like you to DIY and good luck.

You drive a 70 Camaro or 2014 Camry?  Then why are you commenting in the post?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top