Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:44:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#1]
I don't know how much MORE my son made after getting his masters [chem] but it did open up employment quite a bit as far as offers go.

He makes pretty good money, he has turned down offers I'd probably kill for financially.

He decided against a doctorate, he said it really didn't look like it was worth it UNLESS you wanted to get into the education field.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
There are a lot of dumbasses with Master's degrees. That's your problem along with 87 different online degree mills.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Got mine in ‘79. A degree back then was ridiculously cheap compared to today.

It is an agriculture business degree.  It served me wonderfully.
View Quote

State school, by chance? The Ag school at Cornell is on the state side, not the endowed private side; anything on the state side still gets you a Cornell degree for a fraction of what the students on the endowed side are paying.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What matters more is why you do it.  I am assuming that the vast majority of people who do not gain a positive ROI on higher education blaze right through their masters right after completing their bachelors and never gained real world practical experience.  How do these people prove that they will provide an employer with more benefit for the extra education over someone with a bachelors?  

Most of the people I know who are successful with their advanced degrees got them because they wanted to take the next step in their careers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
It's amazing how this place is full of statistical outliers.

Everybody's a millionaire.

Everybody has a hot wife.

Everybody is a hard body who works out 8 times a week.

Everybody shoots cloverleaf groups offhand at 100 yards.

Everybody who drinks/uses substances excessively doesn't have a problem, can quit anytime cold turkey with no ill effects, and their substance use doesn't negatively affect their lives in any way.

Everybody pays off their credit card every month and their credit card companies are actually losing money by having them as customers.

Everybody sends their kid to their local public school because THEIR school is run by good conservatives and isn't "woke."

Everybody's education and other life choices were all correct and totally worth every penny spent.

Sure, the country is falling apart because it's full of fat alcoholics with failed relationships mired in debt with useless degrees whose kids are being indoctrinated by leftist teachers who are propping up a failed education system. But there's nobody with any of those issues here. No sir!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a masters (about 60k) to get into med school, cuz my undergraduate years were screwy.  

Yeah, I got my money out of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:49:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#8]
the lab I work at is littered with young people with Masters Degree's working for $17 an hour.

during Covid and its aftermath, it seems that half of the graduating classes stayed in college for Masters Programs because they disliked the job market and pay situation and everyone at the Universities told them how much more marketable they would be with a MS.

now they are done and working in the same jobs they turned down with $120K in debt.

but....

here is a listing of 3 that I know really well.

1- got herself an ACS Chemistry BS but really didn't want to enter the job market because of a "few" reasons. she decided that she was really interested in Forensic Science and got a MS in FS but then found out that there were no jobs in FS and it didn't pay anything.

now she is getting paid $20 an hour to run a Gas Chromatograph at our lab without a medical laboratory certification.

2- got himself a BS in molecular biology and a MS in Microbiology, works in a specimen problem area of the lab for around $20 an hour, 20 feet away from the Microbiology section where he has never applied for any of their job openings. which could end up paying him $30 an hour in 1 year.

3-got himself a BS in Petroleum Engineering from University of Tulsa with a MS in Chemistry, going to MLT school at a JUCO now to be a MLT in a lab.

these kids are not taking jobs they originally went to school for. they are smart kids. I have no idea what their malfunctions are. Its like they are phobic of the world or thought a Masters would automatically get them to bypass entry level jobs.

the Universities made a BS damned near useless and now they are working on doing the same to a Masters by flooding the market with them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:

the Universities made a BS damned near useless and now they are working on doing the same to a Masters by flooding the market with them.
View Quote

Gotta drive enrollment numbers. That's what the unis are fundamentally about.

Getting government guarantees out of student loans would be a huge boon to the system. Not issuing loans for programs with no ROI makes all the sense in the world.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By P400:
So we're saying it's only a negative ROI if you don't get someone else to pay for it.
View Quote

I had a professor in college (poly sci, but I was an engineer) tell us that (outside of professional schools like medicine) if you can't get someone else to pay for your graduate degree, you don't deserve to be there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:48:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#11]
This is why you get bachelors degree, get a job, then have the company you work for pay for the masters degree, but only if it’s going to result in a pay raise. Other wise don’t waste your time or money.

My wife and I are both engineers. She has her masters degree, I only have my bachelors degree. I make more money than she does.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
High school diploma, made just over 200k last year thanks to overtime.  I think I got a positive return on my investment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
This has been an issue for a long time now, thus why I label them “Masters Receipts.”
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

For 99% of students, its foolish to get a masters until they get hired and can have their emoloyer pay for it - or at least as mush as they cover.   Probably few do 100% anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
Employer paid for mine. I think I was $550 out of pocket for a masters in mfg systems mgmt from SMU.

The degree cost the company ~$40k. I don’t believe I leaned $40k worth of knowledge but whatever.

Edited to add that the degree has helped me progress within the company though so my $550 was well worth the investment!

For 99% of students, its foolish to get a masters until they get hired and can have their emoloyer pay for it - or at least as mush as they cover.   Probably few do 100% anymore.

This is the right way to do it. My company has 100% Master's degree support. They even encourage engineering disciplines for mechanical or Ag to get a degree in Electrical Engineering. Might be a bit of a fallout due to running a lean ship for many years, but it benefits both parties.

There are those employed here who go get their MBA and end up never even cracking middle management. They get tossed into the mix for program planning or cost reductions and become stuck. If anything, stick with STEM for the graduate degree.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By norseman1:
Lesbian studies only does you good if you are going for a masters in OnlyFans.

Otherwise, learn to code coal
View Quote

I've done extensive lesbian studies and have pretty solid understanding of tending to wrist injuries.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mkboog:
Yes. Hire whoever you like as far as I am concerned. That is your choice. I have met many people over the years with higher education degrees from any number of traditional universities, some Ivy League, who were absolutely worthless in a work environment. Hate to tell you this but no University has a corner on the market for idiots.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mkboog:
Originally Posted By Echd:

In both government and private industry any time I see UoP on a linkedin, which I will typically check when anticipating meeting a new person, it is a red flag which is rarely not borne out.

Would you have gone there if it wasn't massively discounted?
Yes. Hire whoever you like as far as I am concerned. That is your choice. I have met many people over the years with higher education degrees from any number of traditional universities, some Ivy League, who were absolutely worthless in a work environment. Hate to tell you this but no University has a corner on the market for idiots.

Idiots abound, but you're not going to get an engineering degree from Georgia Tech, MIT, or CMU and be an idiot.  UOP degrees are almost universally considered negative signal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Wife got her masters and subsequent licensure landed her a job just over $60k a year. One year ROI for that. And her current employer pays for 9 credit hours per year…so she’s going to start her doctorate soon. That will bump her pay into the $90k-100k range.

Just gotta be smart about the degree and have an end state in mind. If you’re getting the masters “just because” and it’s not the part of a logical path to an end goal then you’ll end up with a bunch of debt and a fancy diploma on your wall with nothing else to show for it.
View Quote

The payoff needs to be an increase in pay.  So if say your wife was making 40k before the degree, it would actually be a 3 year pay off.  That being said, under 100k for a PhD???  

I knew someone that had the company pay for their BS in engineering.  They kept him in his current position at the same pay.  He applied for at least one other position within the company but didn't get it.  He got a nice raise after he left and went to work elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

Everybody who drinks/uses substances excessively doesn't have a problem, can quit anytime cold turkey with no ill effects, and their substance use doesn't negatively affect their lives in any way.

Everybody pays off their credit card every month and their credit card companies are actually losing money by having them as customers.

Everybody sends their kid to their local public school because THEIR school is run by good conservatives and isn't "woke."

Everybody's education and other life choices were all correct and totally worth every penny spent.

Sure, the country is falling apart because it's full of fat alcoholics with failed relationships mired in debt with useless degrees whose kids are being indoctrinated by leftist teachers who are propping up a failed education system. But there's nobody with any of those issues here. No sir!
View Quote

Underrated post, right here
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By greyninja:

As thousands of new graduates toss their caps this month, research shows more than 40 percent of master’s degrees aren’t financially worth obtaining, the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity found.

Looking at career earnings at graduation and a decade later, while accounting for factors such as dropout rate, the study found that bachelor’s degrees are much more likely to be financially worth it for students than graduate degrees.

More than three-quarters, 77 percent, of four-year bachelor degrees have a positive return on investment, the study found, compared to just 57 percent of master’s degrees.

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4659444-nearly-half-of-masters-degrees-have-a-negative-roi/
View Quote

Full article.
A graduate degree in liberal arts or drama isn’t worth as much as a biochemistry degree. Shocking news. Thankfully Generation X told us all to go to college.

https://freopp.org/does-college-pay-off-a-comprehensive-return-on-investment-analysis-563b9cb6ddc5
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sirensong:
who pays their own money for a master's degree?  

View Quote

If you want to finish schooling as soon as possible or don’t want to owe a company years of service in exchange for it..
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
I paid roughly $50 for my masters.  I’m not sure if it’s made a difference yet though.  
View Quote

I paid $0.

It was also a worthless bullshit online masters, but hey.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

You forgot penis size and forklift certified but otherwise, well, ya.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K2QB3] [#23]
The bottom half of any cohort are mostly useless. Price/Pareto.

People who pay sticker for graduate degrees probably aren't going to benefit.

Seems like every idiot I know is getting an education master's at taxpayer expense.

The percentage of degrees of any kind earned by students who had a 1400+SAT score that have a negative ROI is probably close to zero.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Master's in education is worth it to teachers, as it gives them a bump in pay over a bachelor's.
MBA's are worth it if you are promoted to a team lead position as it will be required to move up into management. If you stay at the team member level then it's worthless.
In science fields Master's are just the next step to the Phd that you need to get a good job.
Some of the big engineering companies (IBM, GE etc) like to brag how many Phd's they have working for them, so again a Master's is just the next step you need to get on the way to your Phd. Other smaller engineering companies don't care if you have a BS or a Phd and will pay them the same.
Most any other field I don't think a Master's is worth getting unless it's the next step to the required Phd to get a job teaching at a college/university or to do a Psychology practice etc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Full article.
A graduate degree in liberal arts or drama isn’t worth as much as a biochemistry degree. Shocking news. Thankfully Generation X told us all to go to college.

https://freopp.org/does-college-pay-off-a-comprehensive-return-on-investment-analysis-563b9cb6ddc5
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Originally Posted By greyninja:

As thousands of new graduates toss their caps this month, research shows more than 40 percent of master’s degrees aren’t financially worth obtaining, the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity found.

Looking at career earnings at graduation and a decade later, while accounting for factors such as dropout rate, the study found that bachelor’s degrees are much more likely to be financially worth it for students than graduate degrees.

More than three-quarters, 77 percent, of four-year bachelor degrees have a positive return on investment, the study found, compared to just 57 percent of master’s degrees.

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4659444-nearly-half-of-masters-degrees-have-a-negative-roi/

Full article.

I am early Gen X.  We were all told to go to college.  I did engineering which has worked out.  I suspect most degrees that involve the word "studies" are in the "not so much" category.

If you are just getting out of HS today, you have 3 decent options, and they are the 3 ones that we had.  

Military
Skilled trades
Useful degree, mostly STEM and accounting.

And BTW, the military can teach you skilled trades and provide funding for a useful degree.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

If you want to finish schooling as soon as possible or don’t want to owe a company years of service in exchange for it..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
who pays their own money for a master's degree?  

a typical master's program is 2 years, during which you get paid by the university.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

The payoff needs to be an increase in pay.  So if say your wife was making 40k before the degree, it would actually be a 3 year pay off.  That being said, under 100k for a PhD???  

I knew someone that had the company pay for their BS in engineering.  They kept him in his current position at the same pay.  He applied for at least one other position within the company but didn't get it.  He got a nice raise after he left and went to work elsewhere.
View Quote

She was a stay at home prior to that…so it’s a genuine $60k 1 year ROI. Doctorates in her field pay okay if you’re willing to run yourself ragged. A steady 9-5 type job is $95k-$110k.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: not_sure] [#28]

She was a stay at home prior to that…so it’s a genuine $60k 1 year ROI. Doctorates in her field pay okay if you’re willing to run yourself ragged. A steady 9-5 type job is $95k-$110k.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By not_sure:

So how much does child care cost? How much is it worth for someone other than there mother taking care of them?  

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#29]
It's not fraud...it IS poor decision making...

If you decide to pay $90,000 for an unreliable Land Rover or a big tricked out Dodge Ram pickup, and moments later it's lost half it value because there are 000012 miles on the odometer, that's not fraud.  It was a poor decision.

If you opt to pay $90,000 for a Master of Arts in Underwater Basket weaving, or Women's Studies, or Sociology, and moments after graduation discover your degree doesn't get you a job, or pay, or any real benefit, it's not fraud.  It's poor decision making.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ricky_45:
I have reaped dividends after getting a grad degree.  I needed the hours to hit 150 for the CPA license.  The material was tax law, something I'm in day after day.  It was well worth it in my case.
View Quote

Similar, but did accounting & finance along with Becker.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:57:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WoolRug] [#32]

View Quote

I joined the Marine Corps in the late 90s. The Marines attract a certain type of individual. I chose a good MOS: choose your rate, choose your fate...
I had a technical job with Lockheed Martin before I EASed.
I then joined the Army National Guard.

I earned a M.S. from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University @ 31 years old and took a position in Afghanistan a few months after graduation.
The G.I. Bill, Army education program, and Lockheed Martin paid for my degrees; the Master's degree paid for itself within 6 months since it allowed me to promote to a higher level than my peers in Afghanistan.

I'm still in shape because the military gave me a solid foundation in physical fitness. I do pay off my credit cards every month because I live under my means.

Most people choose the easy path, if you put in less you get less.

I shot rifle expert every year in the military.

I've never bought a new car, my oldest Honda Accord has 300,000 miles on it because I seriously maintain it like the jets I worked on in the military.

I'm a MGTOW.

Most folks here are like minded.

If you followed a similar path you would have similar results: it's not complicated.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#33]

a typical master's program is 2 years, during which you get paid by the university.
View Quote

I went straight through so I wouldn’t have to endure any more university schooling, while I was still young and had the energy and focus.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
I'm a teacher, so my pay automatically went up when I got mine. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money. An MFA is Poetry isn't super lucrative.
View Quote

I hope you aren’t teaching grammar.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:56:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stlrain0341] [#35]
Pretty sure I could find the 43%

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:05:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#37]
Depends on the field.

My daughter went straight thru ( undergrad / grad degrees ) from OSU and when she finished she walked into a really good job / salary starting out.
Some employers will pay for the degree while others want the title but someone that has experience in the field / can really do the work they need.

Any degree means little if you cannot apply it or have zero experience.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#38]
After changing master bath to ensuite, master bedroom to primary bedroom because those previous terms were "racisss" the master's degree needs to be changed to something also not "racisss".  Maybe Pwned Degree.  That will result in the degree being totally worth the cost and effort.  Look what changing the names of the master bedroom and bathroom did for the prices of real estate.  Since the change in terminology, the price of real estate has skyrocketed.  The same would happen to Pwned Degreed people's salaries.  I guarantee it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
There are a lot of dumbasses with Master's degrees. That's your problem along with 87 different online degree mills.
View Quote

I,spent 29 years working at a University.  I worked with a woman that had 7 Masters she acquired while working there as well.  She was dumber than a box of rocks.  She literally called in late because she locked herself in her 2nd story bedroom.  Her neighbor had to get her out with an extension ladder.

My wife on the other hand went from a BSN-RN degree to a Masters in CRNA. Tripled her salary making 1/4 mil a year and working three days.  As an RN it was 5 days a week.  
It’s now a Phd requirement to become a CRNA.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
You are correct.  That is why GD will be the core that lifts our destroyed nation from the ashes like a phoenix.  When the time is right.  We are just waiting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

I paid $0.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
I paid roughly $50 for my masters.  I’m not sure if it’s made a difference yet though.  

I paid $0.

I had to buy a couple of books for the thesis classes in my ACSC program.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

I got forklift certified back in the early 1970s at a pre-college job.  We watched a film, took a 20-question quiz, and graded our own tests.  That one certification was the keystone to my later successful career in IT.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 545days] [#43]
I have a BS in mechanical engineering.  My wife has a PhD in civil and environmental engineering.  I make close to triple what she does.

That doesn't mean that she made a poor choice to pursue a PhD.  We made different choices based on what we wanted to do.  I work in the private sector and was willing to travel to 3rd world and depressed industrial areas.  I have changed employers several times, work 60 hour weeks and answer my work cell 24/7.

She took a federal job with better child care flexibility and works 40 hours a week.  No one from her work has ever called her in the middle of the night.  When one of our kids was sick, she stayed home to care for them.  She didn't apply for certain positions because they required travel.  She has never changed employers and will take a federal retirement.  Her career suffered because she chose to be the primary caretaker of our children.

Frankly I would have been even better off if I had gotten an MBA after I had 7-8 years on the job.  I didn't do it, and that decision delayed my climb up the corporate ladder.  Likewise, had my wife chosen to work in the private sector and make similar sacrifices she would likely gave been the primary earner in our family.

Our choices and abilities have a bigger impact on our earnings than our chosen degrees.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Nit everyone, but hobby boards that require thousands of dollars to get into generally leans towards, rather significantly, towards the wealthier end of the spectrum.

Bias in reporting is also a big one. The guy who barely afforded his PSA isn't speaking up in financial conversations. Plenty of guys here talk about marital/family/social issues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#45]
EMBA from SMU about 10 years ago. Employer paid for 40% of the cost, I would say mine has paid off extremely well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 545days:
I have a BS in mechanical engineering.  My wife has a PhD in civil and environmental engineering.  I make close to triple what she does.

That doesn't mean that she made a poor choice to pursue a PhD.  We made different choices based on what we wanted to do.  I work in the private sector and was willing to travel to 3rd world and depressed industrial areas.  I have changed employers several times, work 60 hour weeks and answer my work cell 24/7.

She took a federal job with better child care flexibility and works 40 hours a week.  No one from her work has ever called her in the middle of the night.  When one of our kids was sick, she stayed home to care for them.  She didn't apply for certain positions because they required travel.  She has never changed employers and will take a federal retirement.  Her career suffered because she chose to be the primary caretaker of our children.

Frankly I would have been even better off if I had gotten an MBA after I had 7-8 years on the job.  I didn't do it, and that decision delayed my climb up the corporate ladder.  Likewise, had my wife chosen to work in the private sector and make similar sacrifices she would likely gave been the primary earner in our family.

Our choices and abilities have a bigger impact on our earnings than our chosen degrees.
View Quote
This 100%.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Wife got her masters and subsequent licensure landed her a job just over $60k a year. One year ROI for that. And her current employer pays for 9 credit hours per year…so she’s going to start her doctorate soon. That will bump her pay into the $90k-100k range.

Just gotta be smart about the degree and have an end state in mind. If you’re getting the masters “just because” and it’s not the part of a logical path to an end goal then you’ll end up with a bunch of debt and a fancy diploma on your wall with nothing else to show for it.
View Quote

I’m curious. Where has she applied for a doctoral program?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

I didn't know Kracker Jacks eventually got that high....they were cheap when I was a kid.

🤠
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

I’m curious. Where has she applied for a doctoral program?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 545days:

View Quote

The cast of The View just called. They all say you're a misogynist. And probably a racist.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top