BCM
User Panel

Should I leave the US? (Page 3 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

"Turkey is actually pretty safe except for the eastern border" is poking you with a stick?

Stop and think for a minute that perhaps you've overreacted to someone just having a discussion about Turkey, the topic of this thread.
View Quote

Join the legion
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's for the girl, somehow I suspect she might be alot less enthusiastic about you coming to live in Turkey vs. you being her ticket to America.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
OP - Can you work remotely and maintain your high income? If so, go for it! You can always come back....

<--- Pointing at location flag.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you realize that vacationing in Turkey has given you virtually no actual information about living in Turkey.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#5]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30714/How_To-2482857.png

Join the legion
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"Turkey is actually pretty safe except for the eastern border" is poking you with a stick?

Stop and think for a minute that perhaps you've overreacted to someone just having a discussion about Turkey, the topic of this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30714/How_To-2482857.png

Join the legion

Jesus fucking christ

Not sure if I've ever met a more tender and sensitive fellow.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Jesus fucking christ

View Quote

Now there's no need to blaspheme
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#7]

View All Quotes

Jesus fucking christ

I thought you blocked me.

What a baby.

Why don't you shut the fuck up and talk about Turkey? Tell us about your time there. Nobody wants to listen to you whine about someone having the absolute gall to correct you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
If it's for the girl, somehow I suspect she might be alot less enthusiastic about you coming to live in Turkey vs. you being her ticket to America.
View Quote
Maybe,

I've met two girls from overseas and neither of which I could get to move or stay here in the US.

They might like an American income, but no one is jealous of our culture of endless strip malls, acres of pavement and cardboard houses.

Once the reality doesn't match what they see on TV, they're gone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#9]
Miley Cyrus - Party In The U.S.A. (Official Video)

Originally Posted By phillip42184:Should-I-leave-the-US
Turkey. Beautiful weather, kind people. Clean, safe.
View Quote

You will need to learn Turkey is spelled Türkiye.
You must prove you have in your bank at least €500 for each month you spend in Turkey, or present proof that you will receive that amount monthly, for residence permit application form.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]

What a baby.
View Quote

No, that's when I say click.  My picture was inviting you to block me.  Please reassess your comprehension skills before posting, and refrain from personal attacks.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:
Maybe,

I've met two girls from overseas and neither of which I could get to move or stay here in the US.

They might like an American income, but no one is jealous of our culture of endless strip malls, acres of pavement and cardboard houses.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
Maybe,

I disagree.   America as the land of the "great PX" has attracted women here since WWII. Just depends on where and when you are finding said women.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]

No, that's when I say click.  My picture was inviting you to block me.  Please reassess your comprehension skills before posting, and refrain from personal attacks.

Thanks!  
View All Quotes

What a baby.

Thanks!  

I'm good, I don't think I have anyone on block.

I'd like to have a normal conversation about Turkey, but you're not interested apparently.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By phillip42184:
I got a decent job, I’m 26 and make a little under 6 figures. But it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time. I took an overseas vacation with my dad last month and had an incredible time in a low cost of living country and met a beautiful girl who is just my type. What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. I’m thinking about quitting my job and moving overseas to live my life with an actual direction. Not spending $2000 a month on taxes, +$1000 a month in rent + a few hundred more for phone bill, electric, water, internet, etc.

I tried buying a house in 2020, 2021, and 2024, failed each time for different reasons. (Offer not accepted, insufficient income to get a loan, and the house failed inspection in 2024. I looked at buying a 30,000 house in the ghetto but there are shootings within a mile every week.

Anyway, it’s getting old now so I’m thinking of leaving.
View Quote

Quit?!  You want to quit your 6-figure (yeah, I know that ain't shit no more) job to be with this lady overseas?  Not take it with you (if that's possible)?  Why?  Are you going to be able to find the same or similar job there?  And if not...

This is going to come off as incredibly rude, for which I apologize in advance:  Why do you think she'll still be around you, sans 100K+ USD/year coming in?

I don't care if you leave the US.  I would, if I had a realistic bailout strategy.  Your idea sounds unwise.

Though, if you're going to be romantic and stupid, 26 is a great time to do it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
You are looking at the second country through the eyes and wallet you have now. If you move you wont be making the same money as the job you have now. Also....needs to be said....many foreign women like Americans cause they believe they are rich and want to travel to America. When you are just another dude living in their country ..ehhh.. not so much.
  If you bring her here you wont spend hundreds of dollars. You will spend THOUSANDS. I know
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]

I'd like to have a normal conversation about Turkey, but you're not interested apparently.
View Quote

Why would you like to have a normal conversation with me about Turkey?  Shouldn't you be having that with the OP?  I'm not interested in the slightest in moving to Turkey but OP seems to be.  You should quote one of HIS posts and tell him how amazing and safe it is.  I'm not buying your product.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:
26?  Yes definitely go! especially if the place has things you really like to do.
If you come back in 20 years you'll only be 46 for God's sake. Live your life with adventure you only have one .

Go op

View Quote
Absolutely this! You will be old all too soon and full of regret if you don't. Just don't get tied down. Wait till you're 40 at least.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Why would you like to have a normal conversation with me about Turkey?  Shouldn't you be having that with the OP?  I'm not interested in the slightest in moving to Turkey but OP seems to be.  You should quote one of HIS posts and tell him how amazing and safe it is.  I'm not buying your product.

View All Quotes

Perhaps you're confused about how discussion boards work. People also post things in reply to each other in threads on particular topics.

Yes, Turkey is safe. Maybe you don't like statistics, that's on you. I'm not selling anything, again, I was just discussing.

What the fuck is wrong with you? I don't recall you being like this over the last 20+ years, but maybe I've just been lucky.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes you should quit your job and leave the USA.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Try it.  You are young and it’s an opportunity you might not ever have again.

Sounds like an awesome experience!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m much older than OP but if the opportunity arose, sure I’d move to another country.

Spend some time on YouTube. There’s lots of channels dedicated to ex pats.

Not sure what you do for a living but I’d make sure those skills are transferable and you can either get a job in whatever country or work remote or start some sort of remote business.

You’re only young and responsibility free once in life. Go for it. Worst case scenario you hate it and come back after a year no worse off but with lots of memories and life experience
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Perhaps you're confused about how discussion boards work. People also post things in reply to each other in threads on particular topics.

Yes, Turkey is safe. Maybe you don't like statistics, that's on you. I'm not selling anything, again, I was just discussing.

What the fuck is wrong with you? I don't recall you being like this over the last 20+ years, but maybe I've just been lucky.
View Quote

That was my attempt at de-escalating this shitshow of a conversation because for some fucking reason the mods will ALWAYS take the other person's complaint against me as the gospel.

I don't have anything personal against you even though you've called me a baby and continue to poke me virtually.  I don't want to discuss this with you, I don't agree with you, and I have my reasons which I won't go into here.

As I said, go sell your wares to the OP who will be much more interested.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

I disagree.   America as the land of the "great PX" has attracted women here since WWII. Just depends on where and when you are finding said women.
View Quote
German and Turkish.

If you're talking some shithole in Asia, Africa.. sure.

You don't even have to step out of most airports abroad to see the US failing miserably. Most first world countries have better infrastructure than we do.

We have leftovers from the 80's, thinking it's "the best there is" when the rest of the world has been building new non-stop.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, go for it.

Next year, plan is already in the works to work remotely and reside fulltime in South America. I'm keeping my place in Houston for travel and visiting friends and family back home when I do make the trip.

But I say this, America is by far the greatest country on this planet. However, there's more to life than living the American 9-5 way of life during the week just to get two days off. Create avenues and passive income for yourself and enjoy what's left of your time on this earth.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

This.

Your attractiveness will drop with your pay decrease. Best bait you have are big bucks and USA citizenship, even fat ugly awkward dudes can score hot chicks. On the flip side, fewer bucks and no U.S. citizenship on the table / not gonna bring her here really reduces your attractiveness to foreign chicks massively. So, you better be hot, funny, and fit, and lucky.

Turkey..
View Quote

So no different than American girls?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
German and Turkish.

You don't even have to step out of most airports abroad to see the US failing miserably. Most first world countries have better infrastructure than we do.

We have leftovers from the 80's, thinking it's "the best there is" when the rest of the world has been building new non-stop.
View All Quotes

German and Turkish.

Fair enough, I was just pointing out that it’s not a universal theme.  Up into the 1980’s , German women marrying US GIs to get out of Germany was a thing. Once the 70’s hit, Germany was pretty much out of the postwar recovery and the desperate brides dried up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

You're fucking with us, right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mjhines3:
Where do you plan on moving? Spain?, Portugal? Somewhere in South America? Thailand? Philippines?

Awesome... you can go make Canik's.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#29]

That was my attempt at de-escalating this shitshow of a conversation because for some fucking reason the mods will ALWAYS take the other person's complaint against me as the gospel.

I don't have anything personal against you even though you've called me a baby and continue to poke me virtually.  I don't want to discuss this with you, I don't agree with you, and I have my reasons which I won't go into here.

View All Quotes

I called you a baby because you lost your shit for absolutely no reason. I was literally doing nothing more than discussing the topic of the thread with you and you decided to act like an asshole.
Maybe there's a reason the mods don't take your side.
Have a good weekend bro. I hope whatever is bothering you gets better
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
Go work abroad. You have plenty of time to figure out where you want to grow old and die.
If you can work remote, bounce around till you find a good place to stay for an extended period.
View Quote

Young, single, no kids.  I’d do that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#32]
All things considered the US is pretty damn cool. You can still vacation to other countries if you want. I also wouldn't want to give up guns and live in another country.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Im planning on retiring in the Phillipines. I love asia in general, and my wife is from Quezon, so it makes sense to have a home over there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, US citizens can live in Turkey, but they must obtain a residence permit after arriving in the country if they intend to stay for more than 90 days. This permit allows you to live in Turkey, study, get married, convert to Turkish drivers' license, get tax number, and open a bank account. The permit is issued for a maximum of two years, but can be extended.

Ok op go for 2 years then decide if you want to stay.

Take up hunting and go shoot an Ibex.

According to Anadolu Ajans , US citizens can own guns in Turkey if they meet the following requirements:
Be at least 21 years old
Have a medical report confirming their mental and physical health
Pay $1,600 for two permits: one for possession and one for carrying

View Quote
You can carry a gun in turkey as a US citizen, non Turkey resident?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#35]

I called you a baby because you lost your shit for absolutely no reason. I was literally doing nothing more than discussing the topic of the thread with you and you decided to act like an asshole.
Maybe there's a reason the mods don't take your side.
Have a good weekend bro. I hope whatever is bothering you gets better
View Quote

Next time leave the personal attacks and name calling in your brain and not on the keyboard.

I'm doing just fine.  Don't worry about me or mine.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
Go work abroad. You have plenty of time to figure out where you want to grow old and die.
If you can work remote, bounce around till you find a good place to stay for an extended period.
View Quote
Good advice.
Just make sure it's for the right reasons
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DubyaB] [#37]

View Quote

Depends where you bring them to live.   It's not 1950
A lot of out great cities are shit holes.  Where you bring them has to be better than where they are from.  Also you better be able to send them home to visit their family every year or so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
View All Quotes
Yes, US citizens can live in Turkey, but they must obtain a residence permit after arriving in the country if they intend to stay for more than 90 days. This permit allows you to live in Turkey, study, get married, convert to Turkish drivers' license, get tax number, and open a bank account. The permit is issued for a maximum of two years, but can be extended.

According to Anadolu Ajans , US citizens can own guns in Turkey if they meet the following requirements:
Be at least 21 years old

I think you have to have a residency permit. But I also think you only have to have a permit if it's full auto or a pistol/SBS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Be at least 21 years old

I dunno dude i just googled because I like spending time in Other countries.  That's what came up
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#40]

lol. Kind of a dumb question, but maybe you just don’t understand. In Detroit, where I can buy a house without debt, there are shootings every week. Where I live now there are bums and the kind of idiots who would shoot a pizza delivery driver for the cash they have. In Turkey the bums are promptly told to move on. And just laying down on a park bench can get some genuinely friendly, respectful cops to check out to make sure you’re not a drug addict or something.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

Are you sure about that?

lol. Kind of a dumb question, but maybe you just don’t understand. In Detroit, where I can buy a house without debt, there are shootings every week. Where I live now there are bums and the kind of idiots who would shoot a pizza delivery driver for the cash they have. In Turkey the bums are promptly told to move on. And just laying down on a park bench can get some genuinely friendly, respectful cops to check out to make sure you’re not a drug addict or something.

You are in the Detroit metro area...i can see how even a slave bazaar in Mauritania could look awesome. Frog, you've been raised in a boiling pot and know little else.

The majority of Turkey's shock troops are currently off on serious religious and real estate missions in North and Western Europastan. When they trickle home, they'll be eyeballing you with one of their home girls.

Seriously not discouraging you to fly off on foreign adventures. Hell, you are young, have some bank, transferable skills and are single....g-g-go for it!  

If in your shoes, I'd consider traveling more of your own country, too.

Detroit. One of my coworkers was born and raised there. He left for a stint in the Navy thirty years ago. He's lived in SE Asia, Europe , points all over the US and a few years married to a native in the Philippines. I asked if he ever goes back home.

"Hell, naw. Detroit is a shithole!" (delivered with a grin)

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#41]
How bazaar, how bazaar.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I have to LOL at the "travel more of your own country" guys.

The USA is full of fat feminists, sea to shining sea. If you've seen the average Euro chick (Turkey included), he's not going to find that here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Are you not gone yet?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Where do you plan on moving? Spain?, Portugal? Somewhere in South America? Thailand? Philippines?

Hahahhahahhahahahahahahah!!!!!

We found the low post shill of that was an attempt to convince us.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

Are you sure about that?

Ops from Detroit and wants to leave the U.S. because of Detroit?

How about moving out of fucking Michigan.

People in the south don’t even realize Michigan exists.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I got a decent job, I’m 26 and make a little under 6 figures. But it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time. I took an overseas vacation with my dad last month and had an incredible time in a low cost of living country and met a beautiful girl who is just my type. What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. I’m thinking about quitting my job and moving overseas to live my life with an actual direction. Not spending $2000 a month on taxes, +$1000 a month in rent + a few hundred more for phone bill, electric, water, internet, etc.
I tried buying a house in 2020, 2021, and 2024, failed each time for different reasons. (Offer not accepted, insufficient income to get a loan, and the house failed inspection in 2024. I looked at buying a 30,000 house in the ghetto but there are shootings within a mile every week.
Anyway, it’s getting old now so I’m thinking of leaving.
View Quote

I hear certain business outfits in Russia are hiring.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:20:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#47]
The grass is always greener in the other side of the fence.  Those foreing girls always love a rich American until they drain his bank account.   What are you going to be working at?  Do you have a work permit from Turmey.

FWIW I have been all over Turkey.  It is neither clean nor safe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Turkey?  Really?

Are you Muslim?  If not, are you willing to convert?  

That’s where I would start.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Dude. Don't work 20 more years in a job you hate and regret that you'd forgotten to live.

Go, assuming you be a productive member of society there.

If not the latter, go just to be sure.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Turkey?  Really?

That's where I would start.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

Turkey?  Really?

That's where I would start.
Why would he need to convert?
Page / 7
Should I leave the US? (Page 3 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top