Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2024 5:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Twitchy]
I currently have a 10+ year old L3 PVS14 that has an SNR of 26.3 and a Center Resolution of 64.  (1683 FOM if the internet is correct )

I've read up on all of these numbers just enough to make myself more confused.

I've been looking at a few dual setups and came across a set of duels with 24, 24.3 / 64, 64 / 1536,1555.

Would these "new" duals have a perceived reduction in image quality?  

The other set has 28.5, 28.7 / 64, 64 / 1824, 1836.  

Obviously the numbers seem worse for the first set and better for the second, but what I don't know is how significant these numbers related to practical image quality.

Any experts have any input?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:
I currently have a 10+ year old L3 PVS14 that has an SNR of 26.3 and a Center Resolution of 64.  (1683 FOM if the internet is correct )

I've read up on all of these numbers just enough to make myself more confused.

I've been looking at a few dual setups and came across a set of duels with 24, 24.3 / 64, 64 / 1536,1555.

Would these "new" duals have a perceived reduction in image quality?  

The other set has 28.5, 28.7 / 64, 64 / 1824, 1836.  

Obviously the numbers seem worse for the first set and better for the second, but what I don't know is how significant these numbers related to practical image quality.

Any experts have any input?
View Quote

I don't know your budget, but Id look for better if possible within your budget.

As to better or worse, binos of equal quality and spec will produce a better image than a pvs14, due to how the brain and eyes work. Id say the lesser binos would produce a more pleasing image than your pvs14, as they're very close to begin.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:16:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunpilot20] [#3]
I can definitely tell the difference between 25 and under SNR and closer to 30+. I even had my wife Pepsi challenge an Elbit 25 SNR tube vs a L3 Omni 7 tube, and she could instantly tell the difference.

SNR matters more the darker the environment. It barely matters at all once you blast an IR illuminator.

For those specific tubes you posted, the higher spec ones will have around 15% less "popcorn" or "snow" in dark environments.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
I can definitely tell the difference between 25 and under SNR and closer to 30+. I even had my wife Pepsi challenge an Elbit 25 SNR tube vs a L3 Omni 7 tube, and she could instantly tell the difference.

SNR matters more the darker the environment. It barely matters at all once you blast an IR illuminator.

For those specific tubes you posted, the higher spec ones will have around 15% less "popcorn" or "snow" in dark environments.
View Quote

This is solid advice. Especially in thin film tubes the static will appear when the tube is struggling in low light conditions. You can mitigate this by backing off your gain (brightness) to a degree but too dim and you won't have a useful image. A higher snr will allow you to run it a little brighter while having manageable static.

In your case I would also pay attention to the ebi number. This helps have more definition in low gain/light situations. Imo low ebi also helps in high heat/humidity. These conditions are generally thought to effect thermals but It's been my experience that it effects the sharpness of the NV image to a degree and a lower ebi helps mitigate this. I would imagine that living in Florida that low light and high temp/humidity will be a fairly common condition for you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys.  I pulled the trigger on the better set of duals.  I don't have the budget for the latest and greatest, but I'm sure the duals will be a very nice upgrade from my 14.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#6]
Unpopular opinion, but I think people get a little too obsessed with the numbers

I have a handful of gen 3 devices and honestly, it's pretty hard to tell some of them apart even though the specs vary. I have a 25 snr tube I run with a 30 snr on bridge for a loaner set, and I can't tell any difference between the two.

I know there is a difference. I'm just saying the percieved difference isn't very big. Especially when your actually using it.

The specs are pretty killer on my personal set of WP binos, but honestly I think most people would do fine with anything over ~25snr.
Top Top