Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

HUB Tri Lug (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The only difference between the traditional tri-lug and this “Bixler” type is that a traditional uses a spring for tension and the Bixler uses a locking collar?

The Bixler will work on any standard tri-lug muzzle device I currently have installed?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:
I emailed Joe at Shaw yesterday for an update.  He said that they are finishing up all the hub thread pattern this week and then moving on to the next thread patterns.  Once all all thread patterns are complete, they will send all of them out for DLC which takes another 2 weeks.  He said that if anyone doesn't want to wait on the DLC, you can have it cerakoted instead which will cut down a couple weeks.  No price difference.  
So he is estimating another 3 weeks.  I'm in no hurry myself.
I don't own any Bixler mounts that have the DLC treatment yet so curious to see how that turns out.
View Quote

Appreciate the update. I have no problem waiting but it’s nice to know a rough timeline.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
The only difference between the traditional tri-lug and this "Bixler" type is that a traditional uses a spring for tension and the Bixler uses a locking collar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
The only difference between the traditional tri-lug and this "Bixler" type is that a traditional uses a spring for tension and the Bixler uses a locking collar?
Pretty much.  I really need to do a video one day...but it is super simple.  You don't need to remove the nut from the mount.  Just loose enough to clear the lugs then rotate and pull forward so you feel the lugs engage the nut.  Tighten suppressor while pulling forward till snug.
The Bixler will work on any standard tri-lug muzzle device I currently have installed?
Yes, and I think it is more forgiving on the tolerances than some of the push/turn mounts as well and again it will lock up rock solid unlike a typical push/turn mount.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much.  I really need to do a video one day...but it is super simple.  You don't need to remove the nut from the mount.  Just loose enough to clear the lugs then rotate and pull forward so you feel the lugs engage the nut.  Tighten suppressor while pulling forward till snug.
Yes, and I think it is more forgiving on the tolerances than some of the push/turn mounts as well and again it will lock up rock solid unlike a typical push/turn mount.
View Quote

How much difference in sound suppression would you say it makes vs the traditional 3 lug? Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlackbirdRider:

How much difference in sound suppression would you say it makes vs the traditional 3 lug? Is the juice worth the squeeze?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackbirdRider:

You can read other people posting that they didn't like the Ca$h9K with the push / turn 3 lug mount.  So there is that.  I have not seen anyone else post about using a Bixler mount on the Ca$h9k.  I may be the first as I also made my own mount but will still buy one from Shaw when they get them completed.  
Back in the day even the push / turn mounts were all external and I recall I think Matt Pallet (previously of SWR) posting something to the effect that they didn't want to do an internal due to degraded performance but you can see it appears to be the norm these days.   My point is I can tell the difference but it is all relative.
However, my main thing is that it is way more secure than a push / turn 3 lug mount with nothing to get fouled or wear out.  I have even put these Bixler mounts on full auto .308's.  You would melt the o-ring and kill the spring of a typical push / turn 3 lug mount doing that.
I have way more confidence in a Bixler mount than a push / turn 3 lug mount.  Yes some work and I have some push / turn 3 lug mounts that do work fine....but I do have some that are all gummed up.  I have zero Bixler 3 lug mounts that have given me issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BlackbirdRider: How much difference in sound suppression would you say it makes vs the traditional 3 lug? Is the juice worth the squeeze?
View Quote
The smaller the can, the more volume percentage consumed with an internal 3 lug. For reference, DA posted 3-4db difference for an Omega 9k DT vs internal 3 lug at post 49 here…
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Omega9k-vs-Wolfman/20-521554/?page=1
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Can the bixler work if the suppressor is covered by the handguards?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:58:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#8]
Originally Posted By costanza:
Can the bixler work if the suppressor is covered by the handguards?
View Quote
Yes....Joe made the SS Bixler nut pictured below back when he was Curtis Tactical and just cerakoted it.  I made the stainless Bixler 'male' part that threads to the nut w/ Alpha threads for the Cash9k.  
The production ones from Shaw will have a SS nut and Titanium male side.
In the setup below, you can see that I machined notches to use the same wrenches that you see for Silencerco and GA cans.  I torque it down pretty snug so that the nut comes loose instead of it unscrewing from the can body.
If I really wanted to, I could use a thread sealant or loctite on the can side.  If it unscrewed from the can body, you would have to remove the handguard to get the mount off.

Note also that the Bixler 'nut' has a smaller diameter than push/turn 3 lug mounts as well so you can do things like this:

I thread all my 3 lugged barrels this way.

Otherwise, you get crap like this:

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
The smaller the can, the more volume percentage consumed with an internal 3 lug. For reference, DA posted 3-4db difference for an Omega 9k DT vs internal 3 lug at post 49 here…
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Omega9k-vs-Wolfman/20-521554/?page=1
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got a shipping notification for my Bixler 3 Lug. We will see when it hits the mail stream.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:

View Quote
You lost me...
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just saying there may or may not be another manufacturer coming out with these this year.
View All Quotes
You lost me..
I'm just saying there may or may not be another manufacturer coming out with these this year.
Interesting....maybe with you guys making and selling them you can give more perspective vs just my own on how robust the Bixler mount is.  I don't think there are any caliber restrictions with it as long as you can get an adapter that threads on the respective barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Will they have a better website to order from?  With fast cheap shipping?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Our website, our free shipping.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
After reading your website, researching the patent and talking with those that have experience with the system, I figured it's worth it to bring these out.
View Quote

Timeframe?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:22:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#20]
After reading your website, researching the patent and talking with those that have experience with the system, I figured it's worth it to bring these out.
View All Quotes
Interesting....maybe with you guys making and selling them you can give more perspective vs just my own on how robust the Bixler mount is.  I don't think there are any caliber restrictions with it as long as you can get an adapter that threads on the respective barrel.
Also, on one of the early Q podcasts, Kevin said that the Bixler 3 lug mount was the best and if they came out with a 9mm can they would use the Bixler mount....interesting as I don't think AAC ever sold Bixler mounts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaFish] [#21]
Our website, our free shipping.
View Quote

Can you make it so it doesn't look goofy on a MP5 with a YHM R9?

To me one of these looks much better than the other.

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
You lost me..

Well, now I’m interested.  Any guestimation of when they will be available?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:00:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#23]
Originally Posted By VaFish:

Can you make it so it doesn't look goofy on a MP5 with a YHM R9?

To me one of these looks much better than the other.

https://i.postimg.cc/kXNPXXKx/mp5w-R9-Trilug.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8z1QFQmx/mp5w-R9-Direct-Thread.jpg
View Quote
It should look like mine below.

Some old school pics of AWC cans w/ Bixler mounts on MP5's.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/88/1365/flemingheckler-koch-mp5-with-awc-silencer-class-iiinfa
https://www.silencertalk.com/tests/5-06-05-MP5/MP5.htm
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody get their Shaw HUB adapter yet?

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine showed up but when I put my Wolfman on it on my MPX barrel with ILWT 3 lug it is no longer concentric as it was with the Dead Air OEM 3 lug.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Mine showed up but when I put my Wolfman on it on my MPX barrel with ILWT 3 lug it is no longer concentric as it was with the Dead Air OEM 3 lug.
View Quote
Does your MPX 3 lug barrel have threads w/ a knurled protector?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

No it doesn’t.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Does it lockup tight when screwed down?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By peachy:

View Quote

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Yes it does.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By peachy:

Yes it does.
I have several 'Bixler' mounts from Joe back when he was Curtis Tactical and have zero issues with all of them.  I am still waiting for some from him now that he is at Shaw Armament.  Do you have another 3 lug barrel to try?  Sorry to hear you are having issues but I'm sure they will take care of you.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Another positive for the YHM

Been in use solely on Scorpion SBR for couple years with no cleaning and only taken off a couple times

Retains zero, good enough for 9, holds tight and retains spring to hold it on

I'd buy another if I needed
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I have several 'Bixler' mounts from Joe back when he was Curtis Tactical and have zero issues with all of them.  I am still waiting for some from him now that he is at Shaw Armament.  Do you have another 3 lug barrel to try?  Sorry to hear you are having issues but I'm sure they will take care of you.  
View Quote

I bought another 3 lug for my barrel along with one for a different barrel, gonna see how those do with the mount before I contact Shaw.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
HUB Tri Lug (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top