Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 11:14:41 PM EDT
Alright, now hear me out.  I've got a wild hair to get a Ruger American Ranch, chop it to 8", and suppress it.  Then I saw the CZ 600 Trail, and thought it was cool as hell.  The only thing I didn't like was the proprietary nature of it (HGs and stock).  Then I remembered the Lantac Raven...

While an AR SBR in .300 is sweet, my lame-assed state still has length limits for SBRs so a 10.5" barrel is as short as I can go on a semi-auto...BUT a bolt/manual doesn't have those restrictions.  An 8" straight pull with a LAW folder could be a really fun little package.  Lantac can sell me the BCG, and I found a Lantac upper for sale.  The only thing I could see being difficult is sourcing an 8" .300 barrel with no gas port.  Otherwise I have the SBR lowers ready to go.  SO, any reason to NOT build an upper like this?  Recommendations for sourcing an 8" blk barrel with no gas port drilled?

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just use something like a cali-key in a regular upper?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
But the Kalikey is gross.  The Raven is sexy
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You have literally described the solo 300
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They're cool too, but I want the right side charging.  Don't think the Solo uses the buffer spring either like the Lantac.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe find a carbine has length barrel and have it chopped, if such thing exist because I think pistol is the standard gas tube length for 300blk.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you a lefty or something? Why would you prefer right side charging for something like this?

Also nothing is keeping you from modifying a buffer spring to jam behind a solo 300 bcg to have a spring loaded straight pull if you feel like that's really a priority.

Either way, solo 300 is where you could go to look for a barrel.

Here's a 6" barrel solo300.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:31:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Are you a lefty or something? Why would you prefer right side charging for something like this?

Also nothing is keeping you from modifying a buffer spring to jam behind a solo 300 bcg to have a spring loaded straight pull if you feel like that's really a priority.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200612_172403_jpg-3089727.JPG

View Quote

For the same reason right handed bolt guns have it on the right.  Look at the gif above, and you'll see it's faster/more stable to move the dominant hand instead of the support hand (which is supporting more weight of the rifle)

ETA: Nice build!  What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Another question; I don't think the Solo is compatible with the buffer spring since it's a shortened BCG.  That being the case would using a Young or Gibbz or QC10 etc side charging setup without a gasblock/tube/system accomplish the same thing?  Or would there be some issue preventing me from doing that?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

@Daggert

Is the Solo upper "plugged"?  What kind of spring do you think might work in there?  The Solo is looking more and more like a viable option if I could do that.  Then I could also have a folder without going the LAW folder route.  What kind of accuracy are you getting out of yours?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#10]
the upper isn't plugged or anything. It's just a chopped bcg in a more or less standard upper. You can put a plug or picatinny adapter or whatever you want in the rear stock portion of your lower.

You could probably fit some kind of spring into it, but i'm still not clear why you'd want to. It's like a 2" pull and push.

I jsut shoot mine at steel reallly quiet with subs. I've never shot for groups.

Honestly, when I was looking to build a sbr bolt action for maximum quiet subsonic performance, I looked at all the available options at the time to make a compact, quiet, folding stock 300 blk host, and realized that keeping AR15 ergos and handling was optimal. Creating a barrel without gas port looked complicated, especially a few years ago, and other bolt action AR uppers were like $1000. Then I saw the guy putting these solo 300 things together like a han solo pistol and realized that with a folding stock and a handguard, it would be exactly what I was looking for with all the features I wanted, so I was one of the first adopters of the platform. And it works as advertised. It's as quiet as my remington 700 300blk that I sold, but weighs a lot less and is a lot more convenient.

You can also buy 6 or 9" barrels without gas ports and other parts from the website.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

One more question; what's the can/rail combo?  Is that a Spikes BAR?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

One more question; what's the can/rail combo?  Is that a Spikes BAR?
View Quote
Yeah it's the spikes bar picatinny rail. Mlok mounts require hardware inside the diameter of the handguard
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
X-Caliber will make one, just choose the “no gas port” under the drop down

https://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jandbj] [#14]
Here’s what I did.

Details on how I did mine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Upper is done just waiting on form 1 to clear
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Form 1 cleared.  23 days!

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks great, I like how yours came out.  I built a couple of the configurations mentioned/pictured here, plus a couple that weren't.  Ultimately, I gave up on straight pull and just SBRd a Mini Fix, and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Looks great, I like how yours came out.  I built a couple of the configurations mentioned/pictured here, plus a couple that weren't.  Ultimately, I gave up on straight pull and just SBRd a Mini Fix, and couldn't be happier.
View Quote
Interesting feedback.

Out of curiosity, what were the issues that left you dissatisfied and what does the minifix do better to address them?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I think this demilled FN carrier has just found a new purpose in life…
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Check this out!

Best option I've seen yet. Going to get one myself.

Why Is FBI HRT ELITE So Interested?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmmmm very interdasting.jpeg

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Interesting feedback.

Out of curiosity, what were the issues that left you dissatisfied and what does the minifix do better to address them?
View Quote
The AR based options are all going to have to deal with the receiver extension in some way whether it uses the buffer and spring or not.  The stock options aren't my favorite, especially for folders.  In most cases you'll have to deal with the remnants of the gas system on some level.  

The ergos of the Kali Key just don't work at all, right side charger was way more cumbersome than I expected, standard charging was even worse.  Fast twist barrels weren't available for the Solo or any of the other options at the time, might be different now.  I used a Q Honey Badger barrel with mine, and that worked fine.

Ultimately, the way the stock folds tight on the bolt knob side, the ergos, fast twist, and other options of the Mini Fix were what sold me, and now a few years in I'm still happy.  The short throw on the bolt is more than fast, and the rest of the system just works like you'd expect from a commercial gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523616/IMG_0417_jpeg-3251766.JPG

I think this demilled FN carrier has just found a new purpose in life…
View Quote

Definitely wanna see where this goes!  I had hoped to see if there was a way to work out the Solo 300 system, but with a spring so the bolt would return to battery on it's own (so I could use a folder), but no-joy.  That being said, the Lantac is NICE kit
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:25:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#24]
The AR based options are all going to have to deal with the receiver extension in some way whether it uses the buffer and spring or not.  The stock options aren't my favorite, especially for folders.  In most cases you'll have to deal with the remnants of the gas system on some level.  

The ergos of the Kali Key just don't work at all, right side charger was way more cumbersome than I expected, standard charging was even worse.  Fast twist barrels weren't available for the Solo or any of the other options at the time, might be different now.  I used a Q Honey Badger barrel with mine, and that worked fine.

Ultimately, the way the stock folds tight on the bolt knob side, the ergos, fast twist, and other options of the Mini Fix were what sold me, and now a few years in I'm still happy.  The short throw on the bolt is more than fast, and the rest of the system just works like you'd expect from a commercial gun.
View Quote

Awesome. Glad you found something that worked for you.

I've never heard of the Kali Key before. I looked at it, and it's just a bcg without a gas key? I can see why that would be underwhelming.

Attachment Attached File

What I liked about the Solo 300 project from the beginning was that there was no gas system to "turn off" or mess with and no receiver extension. They had 1:7 twist from the beginning, which is typically considered fast twist, but if by fast you mean 1:5, yeah they didn't have that originally. They also didn't have a precision folding stock back then.

For someone with similar requirements to you these days, Solo 300 might be worth another look these days.

They make a 1:5 twist 6" barrel now.

You could also use a Sig Cross precision stock. I hadn't even considered that. I might have to look into it. They make a 1913 interface version.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Well, I walked into a local shop and they had this….

My build has started
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By campower:
Check this out!

Best option I've seen yet. Going to get one myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZQxX_UxpU
View Quote

I’m going back and forth between this and the solo 300. I know solo 300 has been around longer, but the bolt handle being on the right side is appealing.

@Daggert, does the left side bolt knob on the solo 300 seem less optimized than if it was on the right side? I see how it makes sense in a pistol configuration, but with a stock I feel like the right side makes more sense.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 5:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#27]
Originally Posted By Three0h8:

I'm going back and forth between this and the solo 300. I know solo 300 has been around longer, but the bolt handle being on the right side is appealing.

@Daggert, does the left side bolt knob on the solo 300 seem less optimized than if it was on the right side? I see how it makes sense in a pistol configuration, but with a stock I feel like the right side makes more sense.
View Quote
I prefer not having to use my firing hand to operate it.

Like a FAL.

I've never liked right side charging, like on an AK.

That said, there are lots of right-side charging uppers. If you wanted that, you could just get one of those uppers/bcg + solo 300 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer not having to use my firing hand to operate it.

Like a FAL.

I've never liked right side charging, like on an AK.

That said, there are lots of right-side charging uppers. If you wanted that, you could just get one of those uppers/bcg + solo 300 barrel.
View Quote

I did prefer left side charging on my FAL and on my scar 17, and disliked my ak. I do feel like the bolt handle being right above/behind the FCG on the CD5 is a bit different and ergonomic than an ak though. I may just have to try both. I do like that 6” solo 300 barrel though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Forgot one...

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:22:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I have done a really bad job of taking pictures of rifles over the years.  This is one of the SBR configurations I tried in 300blk.  This was with the left side charger, I tried this upper on a standard AR lower, then with a regular upper with both standard charging handle and Kali Key.  The ergos just didn't quite work for me in any configuration.  This was with a Q Honey Badger 7.5" barrel that had the gas turned off.  

Attachment Attached File

I ended up with a Mini Fix SBR and the same AAC 762-sdn6 that Ecco converted to hub.  I repurposed the Fightlite lower into a 22 with a right side charger, its pretty close in size to the 300blk upper before, so you can see what the Fix gets you for size.  The two are lined up together at the front of their cans, its tough to tell in the pictures.  I think if Q would sell them for a more reasonable price, there would be many, many of these out there in enthusiast's hands, its a seriously fun and capable rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I have done a really bad job of taking pictures of rifles over the years.  This is one of the SBR configurations I tried in 300blk.  This was with the left side charger, I tried this upper on a standard AR lower, then with a regular upper with both standard charging handle and Kali Key.  The ergos just didn't quite work for me in any configuration.  This was with a Q Honey Badger 7.5" barrel that had the gas turned off.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/straightpull_jpeg-3255019.JPG

I ended up with a Mini Fix SBR and the same AAC 762-sdn6 that Ecco converted to hub.  I repurposed the Fightlite lower into a 22 with a right side charger, its pretty close in size to the 300blk upper before, so you can see what the Fix gets you for size.  The two are lined up together at the front of their cans, its tough to tell in the pictures.  I think if Q would sell them for a more reasonable price, there would be many, many of these out there in enthusiast's hands, its a seriously fun and capable rifle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/minifix1_jpeg-3255016.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/minifix2_jpeg-3255017.JPG

View Quote
dat mini fix "SD" is awesome
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 1:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#32]
Attachment Attached File

I have to move my charging handle placement on the boat carrier and I have a different rail coming in but my solo 300 barrel and handle arrived today. Also I’ve decided on a Zhukov stock with pic. adapter for the stock after I stamp this one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Any AR can be a straight pull.   Just remove the gas tube.

Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

View Quote

Thanks, dad!

We know

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

View Quote

Hate to be that guy but 9mm
Top Top