Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/3/2024 11:54:13 PM EDT
Army LTC charged with smuggling firearms parts

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A U.S. Army lieutenant colonel was arrested Thursday on charges that he illegally imported firearms parts from foreign countries including Russia and dealt weapons without a license, federal prosecutors said.

Frank Ross Talbert, 40, has been indicted on 21 charges including importing defense articles without a license, smuggling firearms parts into the U.S., firearms trafficking, possession of unregistered machine guns, transporting a machine gun without a license and dealing in firearms without a license, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee said in a news release.

Talbert pleaded not guilty during a Thursday hearing in federal court in Nashville, records showed. He was released from custody on certain conditions, including that he submit to supervision by a court officer, surrender his passport and restrict his travel only to Tennessee and Fort Campbell, Kentucky, records showed.

Talbert, a lieutenant colonel with the Army’s Explosives Ordinance Disposal at Fort Campbell, was arrested after federal law enforcement agents executed multiple search warrants during their investigation, prosecutors said.

The indictment said Talbert illegally imported parts for AK-style firearms without the proper license and authorization, in violation of the Arms Export Control Act. The parts include pistol grips, hand guards, buttstocks, sights, gas tubes and muzzle devices, the indictment said.

Talbert was also accused of illegally importing 55 inert rifle grenades, illegally possessing AK-47 machine guns, and illegally selling a partially destroyed AK-47 kit, which prosecutors said was transported from Tennessee to Kentucky.

The imported parts came from Russia, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic, the indictment said. If convicted, Talbert faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Fort Campbell is a sprawling base that straddles the Kentucky-Tennessee line, about 60 miles northwest of Nashville.

View Quote

Screen name?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Would that I were on his jury.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a cool guy. Not guilty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A U.S. Army lieutenant colonel was arrested Thursday on charges that he illegally imported firearms parts from foreign countries including Russia and dealt weapons without a license, federal prosecutors said.

Frank Ross Talbert, 40, has been indicted on 21 charges including importing defense articles without a license, smuggling firearms parts into the U.S., firearms trafficking, possession of unregistered machine guns, transporting a machine gun without a license and dealing in firearms without a license, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee said in a news release.

Talbert pleaded not guilty during a Thursday hearing in federal court in Nashville, records showed. He was released from custody on certain conditions, including that he submit to supervision by a court officer, surrender his passport and restrict his travel only to Tennessee and Fort Campbell, Kentucky, records showed.

Talbert, a lieutenant colonel with the Army’s Explosives Ordinance Disposal at Fort Campbell, was arrested after federal law enforcement agents executed multiple search warrants during their investigation, prosecutors said.

The indictment said Talbert illegally imported parts for AK-style firearms without the proper license and authorization, in violation of the Arms Export Control Act. The parts include pistol grips, hand guards, buttstocks, sights, gas tubes and muzzle devices, the indictment said.

Talbert was also accused of illegally importing 55 inert rifle grenades, illegally possessing AK-47 machine guns, and illegally selling a partially destroyed AK-47 kit, which prosecutors said was transported from Tennessee to Kentucky.

The imported parts came from Russia, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic, the indictment said. If convicted, Talbert faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Fort Campbell is a sprawling base that straddles the Kentucky-Tennessee line, about 60 miles northwest of Nashville.

View Quote

Screen name?
View Quote

Inert nades are an issue?

Who was hurt? No one? Then not guilty!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Deployed military personnel should be able to bring home war trophies without repercussions.  

Spoils of war (small arms) should be one of the benefits of service in a combat zone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d like to know exactly what items he had.

Not guilty
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
None of those things are actually crimes.

He will probably be convicted though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Yet Pookie in Chicago can have a Glock switch with impunity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, Frank, what have you done?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Timbo:
View Quote

…Oh that’s different.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m so comforted to hear our law enforcement resources are sweeping the streets for dangerous and highly illegal pistol grips and hand guards.  I feel so much safer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
I’m so comforted to hear our law enforcement resources are sweeping the streets for dangerous and highly illegal pistol grips and hand guards.  I feel so much safer.
View Quote

Violating 922R is a threat to democracy
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
King's Man thought he was more equal than others and he might have found out he's not.

But hey, as long as he is employed by tax money and obtaining everything while on the clock and using tax paid government expenses to ship, store, and maintain his "Side Hustle" why do we care.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:01:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#15]
Originally Posted By kozaki:
Would that I were on his jury.

View Quote

Thing is, if you “decided” he was not guilty and stood your ground, the Federal Government would be after your ass. You’d probably get audited, they would probably find some ex to say you were a nut, etc.

I’m not kidding, I wouldn’t want to sit of a Federal jury unless the guy was without a doubt guilty AF and I don’t mean something that came down to perspective.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KnightStick:
King's Man thought he was more equal than others and he might have found out he's not.

But hey, as long as he is employed by tax money and obtaining everything while on the clock and using tax paid government expenses to ship, store, and maintain his "Side Hustle" why do we care.
View Quote

Where are you reading that he used government resources to do any of this?  The article posted here said nothing of that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:00:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bagofcrabs65] [#18]
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:
Deployed military personnel should be able to bring home war trophies without repercussions.  

Spoils of war (small arms) should be one of the benefits of service in a combat zone.
View Quote

Customs confiscated a knife from me on my way out of Afghanistan.

It was a knife I bought state side and brought to Afghanistan..

Fuck be upon them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:

Fuck be upon them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fuck be upon them.

Those assholes confiscated probably millions of ISSUED knives unless you had a letter signed by your commander. Talk about fraud waste and abuse.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I didn't know the US was fighting in CZ and PL.  MIL view of war trophies is warped on many levels - this isn't 1940s Germany.  I see no problem obtaining certain items, doing the paperwork, and EVERYONE treated the same - regardless of rank, service, or MOS.  It's unfortunate that officers were/are allowed to bring back things that enlisted can't.

Being federally charged for firearms parts is overreach IMO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Fuck be upon them.
View Quote

AFG customs?  Did you have to go through customs when entering the country and declare the knife?  If an item is illegal in the country I could see this happening (outside being in military/diplomatic containers).
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:11:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fishing_cabin] [#23]
From the way the article reads, probably ATF not an Army CID arrest.

That said his scrambled eggs seem to be fried
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:15:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#24]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

View Quote

Screen name?
View Quote

frtalbert on AKFiles and a few other sites
https://www.akfiles.com/forums/members/frtalbert.179226/

If you are a hardcore AK collector you may have crossed paths with him or known others that did.

Also ATF is gay... most of this shit is stuff you can buy online or in a gun store or military surplus store without a background check to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:17:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PoppinFresh] [#25]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Where are you reading that he used government resources to do any of this?  The article posted here said nothing of that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

@1Andy2
From long-time member to other long-time member; just disregard this cat.

He pulled this same weird schtick in another thread just recently.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tboy:

AFG customs?  Did you have to go through customs when entering the country and declare the knife?  If an item is illegal in the country I could see this happening (outside being in military/diplomatic containers).
View All Quotes

Fuck be upon them.

I don't know all the details on his story BUT -

We have to clear US customs when leaving the battlefield. Fuck, that sounds so stupid when I typed it out.
When I left Iraq, I had to clear through US Navy dudes to get home. I caught a lot of shit for the bags of pills (takes less room than bottles) I had in my Aid bag...

Weird war stories that everyone forgets...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PoppinFresh:

I don't know all the details on his story BUT -

We have to clear US customs when leaving the battlefield. Fuck, that sounds so stupid when I typed it out.
When I left Iraq, I had to clear through US Navy dudes to get home. I caught a lot of shit for the bags of pills (takes less room than bottles) I had in my Aid bag...

Weird war stories that everyone forgets...
View Quote

Yeah I forgot about that. Everyone had to clear customs when the submarine I rode for deployment pulled back in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
View Quote

Don't forget the inert rifle grenades. I, for one, will sleep sounder now that this heinous criminal is behind bars.

Also, journalism is dead. All the articles seem to be regurgitations of the press release with not a single one linking to the actual indictment.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#30]
What about all the stuff Biden left for the Taliban, now thats a crime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Those assholes confiscated probably millions of ISSUED knives unless you had a letter signed by your commander. Talk about fraud waste and abuse.
View All Quotes

Fuck be upon them.

i think I still have a memo floating around here with a whole bunch of names and 'close enough' NSNs so dudes(and me) could keep their knives.

Me and the commander were like this is the dumbest thing ever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FDC:

i think I still have a memo floating around here with a whole bunch of names and 'close enough' NSNs so dudes(and me) could keep their knives.

View All Quotes

Fuck be upon them.

Every single person thought it was dumb. These guys had crates of confiscated knives paid for by the US taxpayer. Who knows what they did with all that stuff but I bet they weren't destroyed.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:59:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gettysburg30] [#33]

View All Quotes

Fuck be upon them.

its probably US customs they are overseas where troops redeploy or their lackys and yes I've seen them confiscate anything over 3in in blade that was not government property or excepted in a commanders letter.

Fun fact there was a time bayonets like the iraqi ones for AKs were considered weapon parts and an illegal war trophies, they eventually allowed them but i remember the stupid discussions about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Fuck be upon them.

LOL so true joe can shlep around with destructive devices like grenades or fully automatic weapons all day long but oh noes he has a knife he might hurt someone.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By gettysburg30:

LOL so true joe can shlep around with destructive devices like grenades or fully automatic weapons all day long but oh noes he has a knife he might hurt someone.

View Quote

They took my knife, but I kept my M4 and M9.

As to the guy who was arrested…

He is a victim of unconstitutional laws and his 2A right is being trampled by the feds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I bet he only had some parts kits and they charged him with this because of the full auto parts in the kits and the fact he had some semi auto AKs that were “readily” convertible to full auto. Complete BS. Probably just a collector.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Not sure about machine guns, but the parts listed are not firearms, but accessories. Doesn't sound guilty just based on that...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Why wasn't he shot in the head, in his P.J.'s, at 0600?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#39]

They took my knife, but I kept my M4 and M9.

As to the guy who was arrested…

He is a victim of unconstitutional laws and his 2A right is being trampled by the feds.
View Quote

You have to see some irony in a career of service to the same goons that put him in a cage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I sent back a bunch of Snyders and Matini-Henrys early in the war. I got the OK from the jag department and had documentation stating i was within regs. I also was very careful not to send anything back that might not pass muster: I had a Russian contract 95 Winchester in my hands I probably could have sent back but didn’t risk it. Regs tightened up significantly after I rotated out and it was nearly impossible to send stuff like that home.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Timbo:
View Quote
"Glawk swich" + stolen Kia = ghetto technical
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:21:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tallahasseezz] [#43]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
I bet he only had some parts kits and they charged him with this because of the full auto parts in the kits and the fact he had some semi auto AKs that were “readily” convertible to full auto. Complete BS. Probably just a collector.
View Quote

This sounds likely. Or maybe a receiver wasn't demilled enough. Probably heaped on so they can get him to plead out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#44]
The hope I have, is that every house built in the 40's/50's has, stashed away in the attic, atleast one FA Thompson in it and maybe a luger
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I expect more of our military men and women.

I don't expect that much. Not guilty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Bringing parts back might get you in trouble.
Bringing parts back for resale seems to get people in trouble every time.

BS charges IMHO but serious for the person charged.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Bringing parts back might get you in trouble.
Bringing parts back for resale seems to get people in trouble every time.

BS charges IMHO but serious for the person charged.

View Quote

I wonder if he brought back any of that, or if he was an AK bro looking for that ultra rare configuration ala Larry Vickers in search of the prime rib dinner at SHOT.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Not guilty
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#49]
So things like furniture and magazines are illegal to bring back. So if you went to Germany or Poland you couldn't bring back a mag or some wood furniture?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Bullshit.  

Not guilty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top