Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2024 9:38:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun]
At age 35 most men take 1 of 2 paths in life to base their personality on.

On one hand, there's WW2 history. Dudes get really into it.

On the other, smoking meat. We all love that guy.

But me?

I want to get into welding so I can really put my shop to use with the goal of expanding into fabrication. There's some repairs on some vehicles in my shop that need welding.

Which one would be the best first welder to learn on with the possibility of future expansion? ?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have a HF credit card and get zero percent interest...so yeah, HF is where I normally go. Price doesn't matter too much.

Update: After reviewing a bunch of youtube videos the Titanium 125 looks like a perfect match.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The Vulcan is a much better machine.
I've got the titanium and use a Vulcan on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By inop:
The Vulcan is a much better machine.
I've got the titanium and use a Vulcan on a regular basis.
View Quote

Professionally or on a hobbyist/weekend/shade tree basis?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Step one: take welding classes, use other peoples equipment and learn welding processes and how to properly weld

Step two: use this knowledge to make a purchase

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

But me?

I want to get into welding so I can really put my shop to use with the goal of expanding into fabrication. There's some repairs on some vehicles in my shop that need welding.

Which one would be the best first welder to learn on with the possibility of future expansion? ?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/migmax_215_png-3219621.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/titanium_200_png-3219622.JPG

I have a HF credit card and get zero percent interest...so yeah, HF is where I normally go. Price doesn't matter too much.
View Quote

Good choice op, it’s a fun and useful hobby !

My suggestion is buy a Hobart 210 mvp or a miller 211.

Both operate on 110 or 220, for light metal and heavy, very good welders. Was my choice until I found this used monster commercial Hobart, which I couldn’t turn down after I researched it, and learned of its reputation for being very simple, super reliable and almost indestructible.

I bought these in the last week.  1990s Hobart beta mig 250 mig welder and 60 amp plasma cutter, really nice upgrades from my $100 Lincoln welder and an angle grinder with cut off wheel .

Got the plasma cutter for my birthday from my brother and traded some silver for the welder.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Hobart.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#6]
I dont like the vulcan as its settings dont translate very well to actual numbers.

It "calculates" the amperage and whatnot for the thickness of material you put in.

If you are going off of youtube videos to learn, this will not help very much.

Personally of these options I would go with the green harbor freight one over the vulcan just because of the values that you input for settings.

But for what its worth I go everlast.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Professionally or on a hobbyist/weekend/shade tree basis?
View Quote

Mine is farm
The Vulcan has been used in a fleet diesel repair shop for 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The Multiprocess machine will give you more things you can learn, but you won't be as in depth.  The dedicated machine will allow you to get much more into MIG/flux, but if you want to tig, etc, its a different machine.  It just depends on where you want to go with the hobby.  I started out with the cheapest machines I could find and burnt a couple up before I figured out what I was doing wrong.  I was Flux only for a long time until I decided I wanted to also weld Aluminum.  Thus I am in the camp of buy a cheap welder first, even used, and learn, then upgrade when you need the additional settings...
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Miller 210 or bigger, but thats me(I am/was a pro fabricator)....
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Narwhals] [#10]
I bought a Yeswelder mig205ds a few months ago and it has been solid. It's right around $300

It would definitely be a good starter welder as it's multiprocess but where it shines compared to the other china welders, it has a 60% duty cycle.

You'll eventually get into smoking meat since it's a really good and fun project to build a smoker.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Millermatic.  Takes most of the guess work out of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, neither.

Prime weld.

The customer service is pretty great.

If you've got $$ the Miller 211 is tough to beat
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Hobart 210
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]

But me?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/migmax_215_png-3219621.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/titanium_200_png-3219622.JPG

View Quote

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welders/mig-flux-welders/mig-170-professional-welder-with-120240v-input-57864.html

170 is MORE than enough machine. You would know if you needed 215 power.

You’ll need welding gas, cart, a nice hood (spend the difference right here), gloves, welding jacket, and a bunch of scrap metal.

Aaron not the Indian. I have a 180 amp machine and welded 1/4” plate and a lot of 3/16. You’re not welding 1/2 thick metal for professional use.  You’ll be just fine with this and a ton of practice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:04:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#15]
Originally Posted By Narwhals:
I bought a Yeswelder mig205ds a few months ago and it has been solid. It's right around $300

It would definitely be a good starter welder as it's multiprocess but where it shines compared to the other china welders, it has a 60% duty cycle.

You'll eventually get into smoking meat since it's a really good and fun project to build a smoker.
View Quote

Of the two the OP posted.. Vulcan.

I have a Yeswelder arc pro 165, its decent.. it really needs 220 though... it is very limited on 110.

If you can afford it though.. friggin Miller all day every day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heat762] [#16]
Lincoln mp210
Buddy has one it neat.
That said I've been able to get by with a hobart 210mvp and miller bobcat
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The current Hobart machines suck, quit recommending them.  The older ones with the miller guns are great.

I have the Vulcan and it welds great.  It uses tweko consumables which is a big deal.  No idea on the green machine.

Disclaimer:  I currently have a Hobart mig, Vulcan mig, and Lincoln tig.  I do most of my welding with the Vulcan.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By heat762:
Lincoln mp210
Buddy has one it neat.
View Quote

$2,000 welder.  No gas tank included.  For a starter welder. For a guy who wants to learn. Yeah. Great suggestion.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Miller 210 or bigger, but thats me(I am/was a pro fabricator)....
View Quote
Multimatic 255 in my garage.
Duty cycle with smaller welders gets annoying quick.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:51:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Step one: take welding classes, use other peoples equipment and learn welding processes and how to properly weld

View Quote

Psh thats gay.

Just buy a vulcan Flux core welder, I hear they weld it all

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

UPS dropped one of those off here yesterday.

Got it for 290 as they had a 70 dollar coupon on it.

Probably won't even take it out of the box until fall.  Just way too many priorities now.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]
you cant beat the Yeswelder 205 on amazon for 300ish bucks and lower if they happen to be running a coupon on it.  

You may as well get the yeswelder plasma cutter too :) both are great rigs. My dad started me cleaning his metal fab shop at 7 and I have been in the field for 50 years now and got to play with many nice toys.

For home use the Yeswelder stuff is great and if you hate it your not out much cash. Tons of youtube vid on the cheap china welders. So you can learn alot of the skills needed for free.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

$2,000 welder.  No gas tank included.  For a starter welder. For a guy who wants to learn. Yeah. Great suggestion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Lincoln mp210
Buddy has one it neat.

Buy once cry once.  Enjoy your psa freedom welder I guess...just as good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#24]
If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a cheaper welder and a better helmet (auto-darkening).  It makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy once cry once.  Enjoy your psa freedom welder I guess...just as good.
View Quote

If you think telling someone who just wants to learn and may not end up enjoying it to buy a 2k+ welder, GFY

For anyone starting out, sub 500 for all the start up parts is where they should be. They can run that for years and learn then move up to better stuff if they find things that they don't like about their current welder.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Steel-Driver-76:
If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a cheaper welder and a better helmet (auto-darkening).  It makes a huge difference.
View Quote

with the magnifying lens inserts makes a world of difference. you cant weld what you cant see
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Yeswelder 205ds multiprocess machine.

I enjoy putting around with it, and have used it to weld various things in the course of my business.

I have several guys on staff who were actually trained as welders who have used the machine for repairs as well and they have no complaints.

The settings are not user friendly, and are confusing to the actually trained people.

We have only used the machine for spot repairs on steel barges and such.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FDC:

Probably won't even take it out of the box until fall.  Just way too many priorities now.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDC:

I got one of those to replace my ancient Hobart that had a board failure.  It's a damn fine machine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I recently bought the Arccaptain MIG200 as a home hobbyist and as a machine for my son to practice on at home.

He's used it about every day with no problems. Primarily TIG, but some stick and wire feed as well.

Kit was about $700 from Arccaptain and it included the everything but the gas and regulator.

MIG200
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Get a Real Hobart or Miller, don't mess with that harbor freight junk!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I started out with a Campbell Hausfeld flux core 110 when I was a poor ass freshman in college. I knew I wanted to be able to weld as a hobby and possibly a job later on. I'd go around to local shops and get their drops for free then go home and weld 'em up on my back porch and try to break what I stuck together. I progressed from there and got better machines and equipment and turned it into a job later on. A cheap ass POS machine isn't a bad place to start IMO and it'll make you respect something decent once you get into it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Miller Blue for the win.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It's arfcom, you need something to weld 4 inch armor plate or you might as well be rolling with a hipoint in your pocket.

pfffttt....

Either of those machines will be fine for home use.

I'd stay away from the newer digital ones, they seem to shit the bed, Lincoln and Miller. The more computerized do-dads, the more issues. Circuit boards just aren't robust and there's silly shit like cables coming unplugged. Kinda unexcusable when you pay the premium they want for those machine.

I bought a Firepower FP200 and an Esab Rogue 180 a couple of years ago. My goal was to get lightweight, portable machines. I welded a shit ton with an old Lincoln 140 transformer machine, but my back got tired of lifting it. Newer machines with inverters are well worth it, especially with a portable machine.

And people will dog the shit out of you for welding 110V. Fuck them. You can string out 200 feet of cord and do lightweight repairs all day. How much stuff do you weld that's more than 3/16' thick anyway? But a machine that can do both (110/220) is well worth the upgrade.

I'm not a professional welder, I'm just a guy needing to fix things all the time.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#34]

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welders/mig-flux-welders/mig-170-professional-welder-with-120240v-input-57864.html

170 is MORE than enough machine. You would know if you needed 215 power.

You’ll need welding gas, cart, a nice hood (spend the difference right here), gloves, welding jacket, and a bunch of scrap metal.

Aaron not the Indian. I have a 180 amp machine and welded 1/4” plate and a lot of 3/16. You’re not welding 1/2 thick metal for professional use.  You’ll be just fine with this and a ton of practice.
View Quote

To be honest some of my future plans involve learning fabrication and I might need to weld 15mm steel which is a little bit over .5".

When I had electrical installed in my shop I specifically asked for 220v in case I ever decided to weld.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usp4u] [#35]
Forney is a superior machine.

NAPA recently started carrying them.  US company, Italian built.  90 years in the business.

Price points from mild to wild.  Ive used Lincoln, Miller, HTP, Hobart, Solar, Pro-Spot and ESAB, and my Forneys are my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Harbor Freight Welder: Titanium 125 Review, Setup, and Test

Harbor Freight Titanium Flux 125 Welder ....ZERO experience Review

Going to pick up a Titanium 125 flux core welder in the next few weeks and learn.

I already have some projects that need to be welded up, mainly antenna holes sloppily cut into the body of a project vehicle in the shop.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Miller or Lincoln.  Life is too short to skimp on important tools.  I also buy from HF
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Look for one of these.

Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Shut it all down men...he wants a trash can welder
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Happy with my Hobart 190.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#42]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskgKDCS75g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64R3YqeL84

Going to pick up a Titanium 125 flux core welder in the next few weeks and learn.

I already have some projects that need to be welded up, mainly antenna holes sloppily cut into the body of a project vehicle in the shop.

View Quote

i was going to recommend a cheap blue white or red  120v  mig off marketplace and then save for a 250 class machine. I have the hobart 210 and it is decent but I find I like to run dual shield on thick stuff and need a little more ooomph. Should have bought an ironman instead of the 210. But the spool gun is much cheaper for the 210 and that has been really handy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#43]
At your age and if you really have an interest, get a Miller.  Buy once, cry once.  I am speaking from experience.

Read up on the Millermatic 211.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#44]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
At your age and if you really have an interest, get a Miller.  Buy once, cry once.  I am speaking from experience.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/FBB754F0-189A-499F-A28C-7A4E79BEF495_jpe-3220389.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By livinfree:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/FBB754F0-189A-499F-A28C-7A4E79BEF495_jpe-3220389.JPG

Forget the welder.

Dude, nice tractor @livinfree

Another thing on my bucket list.

Originally Posted By theskuh:

i was going to recommend a cheap blue white or red  120v  mig off marketplace and then save for a 250 class machine. I have the hobart 210 and it is decent but I find I like to run dual shield on thick stuff and need a little more ooomph. Should have bought an ironman instead of the 210. But the spool gun is much cheaper for the 210 and that has been really handy.

I spent an hour watching youtube videos on setup, using, and controlling the machine. Seems to be easy.

It's only 150$ right now at my local HF.

I mentioned this to my wife and she already mentioned jobs she has for me to include welding up T posts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

First project.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Millers and hobarts are good. Seen nice welds come from Hobart 140 too.

My brother has a miller 211 it’s been great to him. As for me I had a Lincoln buzz box for years and while working on my sandrail neighbor bought a Lincoln 180hd so if he needed a repair I could weld it for him.he let me borrow it when I was doing engine swap and I liked it he got me a deal on 1 for 500. I already had a tank.

So far it’s been great for me but I don’t need to weld often I’m more a diy guy for myself so might get used twice a year unless I have a project.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Used Miller off CL or MP will serve you better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:
Esab Master race checking in.
View Quote

ESAB is great....but they are the Vortex of the welding world.

Excellent marketing.  Average product.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
Multimatic 255 in my garage.
Duty cycle with smaller welders gets annoying quick.
View Quote

I doubt most people learning how to weld frequently hit the duty cycle on any welder....
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#50]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskgKDCS75g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64R3YqeL84

View Quote

Awesome!  Have fun learning!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top