Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boostinjdm:

How's that ban work? FFL's can't sell them?  Surely they can't ban private ownership. Maybe somebody owns one and moves into the state with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobP:

I have a Traditions Rawhide Rancher .22. I paid $120 for it. It's similar to the Rough Rider, but without the goofy side safety. I like the rancher. It's pretty accurate for a fixed site single action revolver. It's a fun plinker, and I've used to to dispatch a possum messing with my cats.

Just realize that revolvers in this price range are somewhat disposable guns.
While it's possible, it's not likely you'll wear them out. A .22 isn't exactly a powerhouse round which stresses the gun.

I really wanted a Ruger Wrangler, which was $200, but I live in Minnesota.
Yes, that's right, Minnesota is 1 of 2 states banning the Ruger Rangler .22 revolver. The frame's melting point makes it a Saturday Night Special in Minnesota.

How's that ban work? FFL's can't sell them?  Surely they can't ban private ownership. Maybe somebody owns one and moves into the state with it.

They can't be sold in the state. Basically anyone with a Minnesota ID can't buy one. When I found out about the ban, I looked at several online retailers. All of them stated they couldn't ship to Minnesota. I just checked the Ruger Wrangler product page. They only list Mn as a prohibited state for the Wrangler. "The Wrangler® is not available for sale in Minnesota."

I suppose if a Minnesotan went to another state, bought the gun from an FFL there and had it shipped to a Mn FFL, they might get away with it. That's assuming both FFLs don't realize the gun is banned, which isn't likely. Who would think a Ruger .22 revolver would be banned?

There's nothing preventing someone who owns one and then moves into Minnesota from possessing it. The law apparently is aimed at FFL transfer, not possession.

It's a law from 1975:
Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol.

"Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By shotar:

Having a colt action, the heritage does not use a transfer bar. The hammer directly hits the firing pin. It is thus unsafe to carry on a loaded chamber. The safety operates as a hammer block, preventing the hammer from reaching the firing pin. Up for safe, down for fire. With safety on, it's now safe to carry fully loaded rather than resting the hammer on an empty chamber.

I would venture this is a whole lot cheaper to make than a transfer bar system like the Ruger, which oddly being about otherwise equal, sells for $100 more.

A single six is now a $600 to $800 gun new. If you found a used one, it's gonna be about $400 .22lr only or $500 with both cylinders.  The wrangler with both cylinders is about $280ish.

I paid $107 otd in Nov 2022 for my RR with both cylinders after rebate. Not disappointed.
View Quote

The wrangler is $99 and comes with the 22mag cylinder for free with the rebate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one for like $80 total after rebate a year and a half ago.  At first, I didn't like it because the hammer would catch/bind when cocking every few rounds.  I noticed several screws were VERY loose and snugged everything up.  Since then, no catching/binding and it runs great.  The gun also shot way off to one side since the front sight was visibly bent.  After some torch heat and some slow bending, it is mostly zeroed  They are fun but just understand what you are buying.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they are worth $100 if you don't have something like it already.
I have a couple and they shoot pretty well actually. I did bend the front sight with a crescent wrench to zero it. Can now hit clays at 50yds regularly.
I have a couple Super Wranglers also and for sure they are better made but don't shoot any better.

Its nice to shoot low cost ammo and slow down with the single action revolver and plink stuff for fun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
FP Does Not NI.

I love my birdshead model. My teenaged granddaughter loves her's too.

In time and hits to point of aim. Fun little gun and even has 4 clicks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Don’t do it.

Junk
View Quote

Only if it has the 22wmr cylinder with it.

If you get it, take out all the screws and locktite them in.

It's a fun gun, but it is a POS...  But fun just the same.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one with the $20 rebate, $80 out the door, and I have the Wrangler too.

Both of mine are good shooters. I'd buy a couple more at $80ea just for disposable guns. I bought the .22wmr cylinder just to shoot some wmr I had laying around
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
once you do this ,, they are good shooters

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife bought me one as a gift many years ago.  Now it's my 13 year old daughter's favorite gun to shoot.  

It's not super high quality fit and finish, but it's a lot of fun for the cost of 4 trips to McDonalds for the family.  We don't get to go to the range often so it will probably easily outlast me.

I am surprised the pot metal frame has held up as well as it has.  They are fun little guns.  The safety is pretty goofy but it's a good feature to have on a gun your kids will shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By imq707s:

View All Quotes

Having a colt action, the heritage does not use a transfer bar. The hammer directly hits the firing pin. It is thus unsafe to carry on a loaded chamber. The safety operates as a hammer block, preventing the hammer from reaching the firing pin. Up for safe, down for fire. With safety on, it's now safe to carry fully loaded rather than resting the hammer on an empty chamber.

I would venture this is a whole lot cheaper to make than a transfer bar system like the Ruger, which oddly being about otherwise equal, sells for $100 more.

A single six is now a $600 to $800 gun new. If you found a used one, it's gonna be about $400 .22lr only or $500 with both cylinders.  The wrangler with both cylinders is about $280ish.

I paid $107 otd in Nov 2022 for my RR with both cylinders after rebate. Not disappointed.

@imq707s

Where are you seeing the Wrangler for $99 w/the .22 WMR cylinder? Cheapest I've found was $180.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a few with the extra cylinders for about 100 otd. Also have a birds head. Not disappointed and they do what I bought them for.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Op is an asshole. (Not being pejorative)

Bought the fucking thing as soon as I clicked on the link.

Have the J guy with an unusual name call me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Don’t do it.

Junk
View Quote

Mostly junk
But I bought two for probably $225 total
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Brand new, my rough rider wasn't reliable.  It would only fire three of six 22lr and no 22 mag.

First I thought the hammer was dragging on the frame.  The hammer wasn't centered.  I shimmed my hammer and trigger since I was there.  That didn't improve anything.  I tried my cylinders in a friend's rough rider to rule out problems.  I replaced my hammer spring, along with polishing parts of it.  The spring restored the reliability of my rough rider.

It is a fun pistol to shoot.  You might have problems.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the 6" model with target adjustable sights and 22 wmr cylinder

Shoots good until it gets really dirty then not so good

$99 buy it
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:00:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#17]
I have one that I bought over twenty years ago which was fine.

It came with a extra mag cylinder and has a seven and a half inch barrel as well.

The magnum cylinder loaded with .22 mag is not accurate but the long rifle cylinder is.

IMO they on average they are not as good and reliable as they used to be.

For what reason I really don't know.

I would buy something else like a Ruger Wrangler or something like that.

On the new ones the cocking mechanism feels weak and unreliable.

Don't be mad at the player babe.

They are junk now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:10:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#19]

Funny because my experience is the exact opposite.  My 2022 model is better than the one I had in the early 2000s in every way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SAE:

Funny because my experience is the exact opposite.  My 2022 model is better than the one I had in the early 2000s in every way.

And that could very well be that there are quality control issues that need to be ironed out then.

My early 2000's revolver was as good as gold. I mean, I just flat shot it out over the period of about ten years or so.

A few thousand rounds at least.

I bought another one about three years ago and it isn't the same.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#21]
We all know OP bought two last night and stopped caring about us.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#22]
OP - for $10 - 20 more PSA has a lot of Heritage 22 versions on sale now.  I’ll suggest this 9-shot version:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/heritage-rough-rider-6-5-22-lr-revolver-cocobolo-rr22999ch6.html
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Just to put things back in perspective . The revolver on top is often found on sale for about $100 with both cylinders. The one on bottom is about $700 with both cylinders.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10063/1000000867-3216231.jpg
View Quote

I ended up picking up an Uberti Cattleman a couple of years ago when a distributor was blowing them out at $229. My dad has one of the rough riders and the difference is night and day.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Get it, why not?

$99 is barely lunch for a family of four.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Cheap guns are the best guns.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:46:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARKAR] [#26]
I have one that I bought over 20 years ago. It’s pretty accurate and I just leave it in a leather holster in a case on my Honda Foreman that is almost the same age. If I’m down in one of my fields working, I always have a .22 if needed. They are cheap but decent guns that are fun to shoot and you won’t stress if something happens to it. Mine is the 4.75” version but I’ve been thinking about buying another in 6.5” for some time now. Not sure why, I sure as hell don’t need another .22….
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I have owned two, one would misfire one has been rock solid.  Honestly it’s been one of my favorite revolvers.

I can easily hit a 8 inch steel gong from 30 yards no problem.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 917-30:

@imq707s

Where are you seeing the Wrangler for $99 w/the .22 WMR cylinder? Cheapest I've found was $180.
View All Quotes

@imq707s

Palmetto State Armory.  You have to mail in the rebate form to get the free .22 WMR cylinder.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/heritage-rough-rider-22lr-6-5-revolver-blued-rr22b6.html?avad=234121_e39b249e5&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:01:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#31]
You don’t need permission from the forum to buy a revolver that is presumably less than a single day’s wages.  

It’s fine, the safety sucks but it’s tactile in the hand and let’s be honest most of what we all do with single action revolvers is fiddle with the action like it’s a fidget spinner.  

Call it a solid 6/10 gun.  It’s not the best but you can probably pay for it by searching through couch cushions so there’s no reason not to.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Slow to load.   Quick to foul. Pain to unload.

I wouldn’t pay $50 unless you could easily mount some glass for shooting squirrels.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmmm........so far there is everything from "total junk, don't buy one".......to "great deal, I would buy it!!".

Hoping for more replies 😁
View Quote

I got one from PSA on a similar sale last year. It's kind of a fun and interesting departure from what I usually shoot but the fixed sights aren't even close to being on for any ammo I've tried and the situation gets worse if you go with 22 WMR. It also seems to have about a 25-50% failure to fire rate, so I find myself having to run the whole cylinder two or three times to make sure they all lit off.

So, not bad looking and pretty fun but not something I'd use for anything beyond a conversation piece and occasional range toy. Wouldn't even consider it for new folks as the misaligned sights would be discouraging and the high FTF rate would be a safety concern.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Palmetto State Armory.  You have to mail in the rebate form to get the free .22 WMR cylinder.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/heritage-rough-rider-22lr-6-5-revolver-blued-rr22b6.html?avad=234121_e39b249e5&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl
View All Quotes

@imq707s

That is NOT a Ruger Wrangler for $99 with a free .22 WMR Cylinder, that is a Heritage Craprider.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

That's pretty much how it works.  My FFL won't transfer one but told me to go to any gun show in the area and they'll be all over the place.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SAE:

It came with a extra mag cylinder and has a seven and a half inch barrel as well.

The magnum cylinder loaded with .22 mag is not accurate but the long rifle cylinder is.

They are junk now.
View Quote

Mt 22wmr is dead on at 50m, fairly good at 100m.  The 22lr sucks by comparison.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I enjoy mine. it is a fun plinker. It wouldn't be the 1st gun I grab for TIOTWAWKI but if there are some beer cans that need shooting.... go for it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:02:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chaingun] [#38]
Just to put things back in perspective . The revolver on top is often found on sale for about $100 with both cylinders. The one on bottom is about $700 with both cylinders.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10063/1000000867-3216231.jpg
View Quote
and there you have it, a junk collector

Just get one, you could not build one for $100
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I’d rock the birdhead….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#40]
They are shit.

Get a Ruger single six.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I paid 80 bucks for mine in 96. Heritage put a new barrel and mainspring in it about 2005 or so.  It didn't cost me anything except shipping to FL.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Fixed sights would be a deal breaker on a target plinker for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Don’t do it.

Junk
View Quote

Horse hockey, if you want a little low budget revolver.

My SIL bought one for his birthday. He shot the crap out of it, i put at least 100 through it and me and he had a shooting contest that day. We probably used a brick between his .22 revolver and my Charter. We both got more than $100 of fun out of it that day. My daughter told me he has shot it a lot since.

I cannot think of a better cheap gun for a tackle box or truck beater.

I'd buy one if i didn't already have a little Charter.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

Lol!  I have had one for going on close to 20 years.  It has gone bang everytime.  

It was cheap.  It hasn't been junk.
View All Quotes

Don’t do it.

Junk

Lol!  I have had one for going on close to 20 years.  It has gone bang everytime.  

Cheap does not mean bad in all cases. My favorite backyard plinker for over a decade was a "pot metal" Phoenix HP22. No telling how many bricks of bulk .22 that thing ate. I only noticed the crack in it's slide after a shooting sesssion. It was getting it's annual hose out with WD40. Lifetime warranty with Phoenix is solid. Sent it in on their dime via an RMA. A brand new one showed up in my mailbox about a week after they got the old one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:50:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pawcatch] [#45]
I have three Heritage .22s, a Ruger Wrangler, and a single six. While the Heritages are not anywhere near the same league as the single six, I would choose them over the wrangler any day. Far better trigger on the Rough Riders.
Literally killed over two hundred animals with my rough rider with the Betsy Ross grips.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Just buy it. I promise you that you, me, and everyone else in this thread has spent $100 on dumber stuff.
View Quote

Impossible to argue with this gun salesman's logic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1776:
Spend a bit more and get a Ruger Wrangler

https://i.ibb.co/C5kCY2r/Screenshot-20240516-181336-347.png
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:10:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#48]
lol..... always wondered whatever happened to those $49 "Saturday night specials" made out of pot belly steel that I use to see in the 1970's traveling through the south when stopping off at pawn & jewelry shops along the way just out of curiosity. I guess those $49 "specials" are now $99 specials. Back in the 1970's in my early 20's I was buying S&W 27's, 29's, 17's that I saved up for. Those kind of stop & rob cast metal guns were just so trailer trashy to me. Don't mean to be a snob yoall, but seriously??? .....$99 fucking dollars?? lol.  Get...outta...here.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#49]

Don’t do it.

Junk
View Quote

Buy something interesting and fun to tinker with.
Not pot metal toys with a single round loading ports.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Don’t do it.

Junk

Nothing has been reduced in quality in the past 20 years. Everything is made at least as well as it always was.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top