Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 11:07:34 PM EDT
Okay.  I understand packing the joint and boot with grease during the initial installation.  But, the first time I engage 4WD, and the front CV-joints start spinning, doesn't most of the grease sling out into the boot, never to touch the joint again?  Is there something I'm missing?

This seems a lot different from a wheel bearing where the grease is mostly captured in the bearing-races.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t have any useful device for you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It slings back in wen you're in reverse.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Enough of the grease stays in the joint for it to be fine.  As long as the boot is intact and sealed its fine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tacocat:
Enough of the grease stays in the joint for it to be fine.  As long as the boot is intact and sealed its fine.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tacocat:
View Quote

I've never seen a bad CV joint with an intact boot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:32:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FGracing] [#6]
Originally Posted By VikingPanels:
Okay.  I understand packing the joint and boot with grease during the initial installation.  But, the first time I engage 4WD, and the front CV-joints start spinning, doesn't most of the grease sling out into the boot, never to touch the joint again?  Is there something I'm missing?

This seems a lot different from a wheel bearing where the grease is mostly captured in the bearing-races.
View Quote

FWD cars have had CV joints for decades. They are not just on 4WD trucks.  As long as you have the proper amount of grease, you'll be fine. Also, unless you have free wheeling hubs, the axles are always spinning.
The 4WD engages the drive shaft to the front differential.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
As the vehicle moves it warms the grease up so it flows easier.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Just make sure to use an appropriate grease with solid lubricants like moly and graphite.  You should still get some churn to bring the grease back into the working surfaces of your CV.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The actual rollers and load bearing surfaces are towards the outside so centrifugal force keeps the grease right where it’s needed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Ever have one apart? They are a greasy mess.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FGracing:

FWD cars have had CV joints for decades. They are not just on 4WD trucks.  As long as you have the proper amount of grease, you'll be fine. Also, unless you have free wheeling hubs, the axles are always spinning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FGracing:

Some rear wheel drive cars have CV joints for decades before FWD cars
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
When properly packed there is enough grease so that even though it does go to the surface of the boot (the outside of the joint) there is enough to still be touching the joint as it is spinning. The result is the grease slowly circulates inside the boot, lubricating the joint.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

View Quote

Although constant velocity joints were around for other applications before this, As far as I can tell the first automobile with a cv joint was the 1926 Tracta, a french front wheel drive car.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FJB247:

View Quote
To be fair when you break it and it comes apart or spins, it will tear the boot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FJB247:

View Quote

It's kinda astonishing.

Just three of our Hondas reached almost 700K miles (combined), never replaced a boot, never replaced a half shaft.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:

Although constant velocity joints were around for other applications before this, As far as I can tell the first automobile with a cv joint was the 1926 Tracta, a french front wheel drive car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

Wow I thought CV was more modern. I was talking about the IRS 69 beetle. I stand corrected.
Top Top