BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2024 11:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The phrase, "you can't get blood from a stone" comes to mind.

Then I have the mental image of a homicidal tax collector picking up a rock and squeezing it so hard that he breaks his own skin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Lol so "greener workforce" is now the new slang for incompetent DEI hires?

Either way wouldn't want to be on that sub
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:

View Quote

Hollywood new writers and directors deja Vu
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

The Yards and the Unions have been screaming for years that the workforce was getting older and they weren't getting enough new workers.

Nobody cared.

Now we're there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
And then there's the Aussi Virginia Class boats that need to be built. Are we building them here or are they being built upside down in Aussiland?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#10]
We're seeing the same thing in every manual labor industry. It's been happening for the last 20 years.  The pandemic just put it into overdrive as people got fed up with the bull shit in the work force.

Young kids don't want to do the manual labor thing, or at least not enough of them any way.

The Federal Government shot itself in the foot when it laid off workers across the economy for no reason other than political ones.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Special-K:
And then there's the Aussi Virginia Class boats that need to be built. Are we building them here or are they being built upside down in Aussiland?
View Quote

The original
Plan was this but there’s been delays and so changes to that plan. https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2023/11/13/heres-when-the-us-navy-plans-to-sell-subs-to-australia-under-aukus/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Spade:

The Yards and the Unions have been screaming for years that the workforce was getting older and they weren't getting enough new workers.

Nobody cared.

Now we're there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nobody cared.

Now we're there.

IDK what anyone can do about it. Welding in the bowels of a boat probably totally sucks dick. Old timers that started in the 70s had to do it to survive.  Now kids can get a job fucking with their computer at their house in the AC or get paid to stay in school until they are 30 then have the debt forgiven.

There are just 1000% less rugged individuals that can perform those jobs anymore in the US. We are too soft.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#13]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/subnetfavoritelol-1033.gif
View Quote

Put a chick in it and make her gay (4k ultra HD)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#14]
Originally Posted By TLD05:

IDK what anyone can do about it. Welding in the bowels of a boat probably totally sucks dick. Old timers that started in the 70s had to do it to survive.  Now kids can get a job fucking with their computer at their house in the AC or get paid to stay in school until they are 30 then have the debt forgiven.

There are just 1000% less rugged individuals that can perform those jobs anymore in the US. We are too soft.

View Quote

Wut we just need more black lesbians

South Park New Exclusive Event | Official Teaser | Paramount+

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

We're going to have to start importing workers willing to do the shitty manual labor jobs. We need a second, or even third class of workers to do the shit jobs that us well educated and soft American can't do any more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Lol.  If only it were just DEI - unfortunately, there's just a bunch of worthless dumbfucks available.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

Lol.  If only it were just DEI - unfortunately, there's just a bunch of worthless dumbfucks available.
View Quote

I love how we all have to interpret what "Greener workforce" means with the only clue being that they are grossly less competent than the previous crew
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I love how we all have to interpret what "Greener workforce" means with the only clue being that they are grossly less competent than the previous crew
View Quote

In labor, "green" usually means new, inexperienced, novice, or still in training etc... It's not a code word for minorities, women, homosexuals etc...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

For me, it's firsthand knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:49:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#20]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

In labor, "green" usually means new, inexperienced, novice, or still in training etc... It's not a code word for minorities, women, homosexuals etc...
View Quote

I assumed the hiring practices had changed a bit in the last decade or so

I was also under the impression gov leaned in heavy on these initiatives
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#21]

For me, it's firsthand knowledge.
View Quote

Roger that
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#22]

I assumed the hiring practices had changed a bit in the last decade or so

I was also under the impression gov leaned in heavy on these initiatives
View Quote

https://www.buildsubmarines.com/career-paths/welding

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Well that didn't take long
View Quote

https://www.instagram.com/buildsubmarines/reel/Cw8AiQFPQKE/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:36:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#25]
I think they are correct but it’s corporate wide policy in every industry to push women, especially women of color, if only in marketing and ads

I see it with surfing gear - wetsuits, swimswear etc. and I can’t recall ever seeing fat black lesbians surfing in the lineup.

I’ve also heard from subcontractors how shitty their under 30 male hires have been so I’d agree DEI isn’t the only issue but it is an issue - in practically ever industry

I’ve seen numerous hiking gear ads / commercials featuring fat black women - 30 second ad

Wherever You Go, We Go. | The North Face

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:42:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#26]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
I think they are correct but it’s corporate wide policy in every industry to push women, especially women of color, if only in marketing and ads

I see it with surfing gear - wetsuits, swimswear etc. and I can’t recall ever seeing fat black lesbians surfing in the lineup.

I’ve also heard from subcontractors how shitty their under 30 male hires have been so I’d agree DEI isn’t the only issue but it is an issue - in practically ever industry

I’ve seen numerous hiking gear ads / commercials featuring fat black women - 30 second ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVhCBVQDiac

View Quote

DEI hit the West Coast pretty hard circa 2020

When manager bonuses became tied to diversity hiring practices you stopped seeing white men being hired for anything outside of niche fields

Def feel like a push back is on the way. We'll have to see
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762xIAN] [#27]

View Quote

From I previous thread, I knew several very skilled trades guys (welders and millwrights) that went and checked on these "jobs" the pay was pathetic compared to the cost of living for the area. They passed and passed hard.

I am sure there is no shortage of so called managers and bosses making well over 6 figures on these projects.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:49:13 AM EDT
[#28]
One of my buddies gf is a welder, she left electric boat to be an ironworker.

Said it wasn’t a good work environment at all
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

International Women's Day - The Female Shipbuilders of BIW
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#30]

Can't wait to read quote below before the sub implosion

It's very important for me as a woman and an engineer to be able to promote that to my daughter, because I think women have a different perspective. We're able to put in an artistic touch and we're able to build, too,"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

DEI subs.

doors gonna fall off, just like on Boeing airplanes.

what was that OceanGate Titan sub, didn't want old white people on the design team.  Well, that's what they got now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#32]
As a guy who sees who works on a particular submarine in a particular shipyard for my day job…

Old timer white guy “SME”s  followed around by younger black guys who don't come across nearly as attentive or focused. Shipyard “fire watches” who are kicked off the boat due to falling asleep or being drunk on watch. Its not the old timers…

Now, completely separate from the labor issue-

Logistics associated with bridging responsibilities between who owns what on the boat, meaning is it the crew (servicemen) or shipyard?

Oh, you want extra ventilation in a space to do some painting, as required by naval instruction? Yeah shipyard will get someone down here to move it in the next few days.

Shipyard fucks up the maintenance on staged casualty response gear, and as a result, casualty response is in a diminished state? Better get the crew to route extra hoses and gear, even though SY fucked up and they're “responsible”.

Its like if you brought your car to a shop where they simultaneously build newer models while working to repair your car, except you have to stay and babysit your car because the employees of said shop are just as likely to “accidentally” *cough*Miami*cough* burn your car down as they are to repair it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#33]

The STEM initiative won't bear fruit until another 5 -10 years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I always thought that the sub program was one of the more efficient ones running. Good to see that they fucked it up too.
View Quote

The Virginia class was.  Now they are building those plus the new Columbia class, which will replace the Ohio class.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Its not uncommon to have to teach new hires to sign their name in cursive instead of printing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

From I previous thread, I knew several very skilled trades guys (welders and millwrights) that went and checked on these "jobs" the pay was pathetic compared to the cost of living for the area. They passed and passed hard.

I am sure there is no shortage of so called managers and bosses making well over 6 figures on these projects.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

Yeah, this gets brought up every time the subject comes up; are there talented tradesmen? Yes.  But your idea of what constitutes talent that deserves compensation, and mine probably differs by quite a bit.  These days, true talent will get noticed, and companies will do what it takes to retain or hire them away from their current positions.  Unfortunately, many tradesmen don't really have exceptional skills, they just want the higher pay.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#38]
"Rickover" as a sub name?  let me guess, he's some DEI nobody who had nothing to do with the navy or sub program
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:04:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quintin] [#39]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Quintin:

I'm all about the skilled trades, really I am.  But if employers want employees, they need to come up with the money.
View Quote

you're going to inflame the paper pushers and feather merchants here...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tct1000:
"Rickover" as a sub name?  let me guess, he's some DEI nobody who had nothing to do with the navy or sub program
View Quote

Wut??????
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Nobody cared.

Now we're there.
View Quote

I dont know too many young people that want anything to do with a union.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#43]

We're going to have to start importing workers willing to do the shitty manual labor jobs. We need a second, or even third class of workers to do the shit jobs that us well educated and soft American can't do any more.
View Quote

Lol they're not sending their best
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Really shows that should the USA go to war with China, our combat losses of ships, subs, etc cannot be replaced on any useful time line for combat/ war fighting, vs China easily able to crank out replacements 100x faster than the USA, partly because…

1. They have much fewer regulations.

2. They won’t have union / labor / congressional or anything else fucking with getting shit done.

3. Have much more manufacturing capacity / capability / and most importantly lots of factories / ports / yards etc, one gets destroyed there’s plenty still left to build shit.

How many factories did the USA have in the 1960s-1980s doing heavy factory build shit, which were easily able to switch to building war materials, tanks, apcs, missiles, etc?   Whatever those numbers, 80% or more is gone now, shut down and those jobs gone to China. Same for the skilled workers, tool and die, and numbers of skilled people who would be needed to switch to war materials / operate facilities/ build shit, there’s simply not enough.

Extremely short sighted to allow USA manufacturing to move overseas, it partly happened because peace happened and everyone started thinking we could relax and not stress over such, which was bullshit. Government should have imposed / devised various ways to keep that capacity / jobs here.

Because we get into a “ real war” where massive amounts of war equipment is needed quickly, or even massive numbers of troops and we simply can do it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#45]

View All Quotes

lol, no, government just needs to stop paying people to do nothing, cut back welfare, food stamps and everything else 90% and suddenly there will be hordes of people desperate for a decent paying job, because starving sucks.

Humans have NEVER worked shitty jobs throughout history because they WANTED TOO, they did so because otherwise they would literally starve to death / die from exposure as they wouldn’t have shelter, and society greatly looked down on laziness.

Vs today…When you can just sit around and do nothing, and get provided free rent, food, and various other benefits in various ways,  people don’t need to work, or barely work, as they will still get fed, housed, and society even tolerates laziness, there are entire anti work movements, fuck employer / fuck landlord movements, organized free shit / ways to get free shit movements. Fuck, even our homeless assholes in the USA now have 3 meals a day, housing, medical, gov provided booze / drugs / weed / tents / catered too, allowed to not be harassed , protected by court rulings etc.

Cut out 95% of benefits and every trade school / vegetable picking area / truck driving / manual labor job will be packed to the gills with new recruits desperately looking for jobs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Meanwhile China is cranking them out like candy, and the Russians are beating us and Europe at ship production.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_2704_jpeg-3204911.JPG

"WE AIN'T DO IT"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#48]
GD electric boat has been running TV ads for people to apply for jobs there.    
Thats like Ford or GM running TV ads looking for workers.    
Twenty, or even 8 years ago that would have never had to happen.   They would have a thousand more applicants than they needed to even fill six jobs.  

But yet people can live comfortably enough on whatever flrm of welfare, plus selling their exxtra weed, or their bodies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Racial Equity will surely fix this...gimme more more unqualified minorities..
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Well that didn't take long

https://www.instagram.com/buildsubmarines/reel/Cw8AiQFPQKE/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_3915_jpeg-3204933.JPG

Dude that's agoraislamahomotransaphobic - women fucking love to weld. If your welding site isn't at least 75% black female lesbians, then it's off to the re-education camps with you, you, you, BREEDER!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top