Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 12:43:58 PM EDT
Had a discussion with a few buddies on whether or not using straps for dead lifts counts or not? (By "counts", I mean your overall weight for those three lifts).

I'm torn, but if we're being strict I have to say no, because I think the baseline over the years has always been no straps. But, I totally acknowledge that I could be mistaken or in the minority.

Opinons?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
In powerlifting straps are not allowed so it doesn't count. In strong man events they are allowed so it does count.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No, doesn't count in a comp, shouldn't as a PR either.

Straps are to save your hands, it shouldn't be crutch to get over bad positions or a weak grip.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you a contestant in an actual competition?  No?  Then what difference does it make?  

Go until your grip fails.  Then use straps to go a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're not competing in a powerlifting meet, who cares?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#5]
Maybe I read that wrong, what do you mean, "counts?"

A set of 10 with straps is a set of 10 with straps, great, of course it counts, but who cares.

But a max single with straps 50lbs over your best mixed or clean grip isn't a PR, just like that 1,000lbs multi-ply squat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Part of the lift is physically being able to hang on to the weight you want to lift.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
Maybe I read that wrong, what do you mean, "counts?"

A set of 10 with straps is a set of 10 with straps, great, of course it counts, but who cares.

But a max single with straps 50lbs over your best mixed or clean grip isn't a PR, just like that 1,000lbs multi-ply squat.
View Quote

I mean, you're talking with a gym bro, and they ask, what is your big 3 weight, and the guy responds with 1500, but mentions he used straps for the DL. Is that number valid, or for a PR combine to be a "level" playing field, does it have to be without straps.

Also, this is a completely and utterly unserious gym bro conversation. There is literally no importance to it one way or another, nor does it have to do with getting the best training or whatever. Since straps get used pretty frequently for DL, that's how it came about. Basically one person called out another that their weight wasn't as they said (jokingly) because of using straps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I use straps.  I don't use a belt.  The powerlifters can try to figure that one out.

I can pull the weight, but my grip goes before anything else when doing 4 sets of 10.  My goals don't include building stamina in my hand muscles.  

But I'm not trying to compete.  I'm trying to be healthy, be strong, and look good naked.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really care what people do but I don't consider a deadlift done with straps to count.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I don't really care what people do but I don't consider a deadlift done with straps to count.
View Quote

I don't care either.  I only care about the results.

Purely out of curiosity, but do you consider a bench rep a real rep with a bench shirt?  

How about a weight belt for squats and deadlifts?

Both make the movement much easier in my experience.

FWIW, I don't begrudge the powerlifters...everybody has their own goals.  That said, I dont recognize a bench with extremely arched back.  I don't think a squat with legs spread as far as the cage allows, is a real squat.  Reducing the range of motion to move weight makes it much easier.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#12]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Purely out of curiosity, but do you consider a bench rep a real rep with a bench shirt?  

FWIW, I don't begrudge the powerlifters...everybody has their own goals.  That said, I dont recognize a bench with extremely arched back.  I don't think a squat with legs spread as far as the cage allows, is a real squat.  Reducing the range of motion to move weight makes it much easier.
View Quote

Hell no, or a squat suit.

You really think a belt gives as much assistance as multi-ply?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

Hell no, or a squat suit.

You really think a belt gives as much assistance as multi-ply?
View Quote

No, but I do think it provides more help than the single ply.  

If I'm being honest, I've only tried a multi-ply once and it absolutely aids the lifter...substantially IME.  I was surprised at how easy it was to maintain form (bar path) and to get the first couple inches of movement off the chest.    

I've tried the belt several times going heavy.  It absolutely makes squats and DLs easier for me.  I spent less energy bracing my core and it undeniably helps stability when coming up out of the squat.  

At the end of the day, I wanted to build a strong trunk and lower back.  I felt that a belt detracted from that (the bench shirt was never considered) so I stopped trying them out.  

I don't get wrapped around the axle about this stuff.  I've got a mix at my gym, from the bodybuilders, powerlifters, half-repping newbs.  We're all there for similar reasons at 4AM so it's all good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]

No, but I do think it provides more help than the single ply.  

If I'm being honest, I've only tried a multi-ply once and it absolutely aids the lifter...substantially IME.  I was surprised at how easy it was to maintain form (bar path) and to get the first couple inches of movement off the chest.    

I've tried the belt several times going heavy.  It absolutely makes squats and DLs easier for me.  I spent less energy bracing my core and it undeniably helps stability when coming up out of the squat.  

At the end of the day, I wanted to build a strong trunk and lower back.  I felt that a belt detracted from that (the bench shirt was never considered) so I stopped trying them out.  

I don't get wrapped around the axle about this stuff.  I've got a mix at my gym, from the bodybuilders, powerlifters, half-repping newbs.  We're all there for similar reasons at 4AM so it's all good.
View Quote

There's no cheating a snatch or C&J (barring press out, which should be changed anyway).  

Guys want to use gear, that's there thing.  But bragging up a cut depth multi-ply squat like it's raw, lol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

No for suits/shirts

Yes for a belt. A belt doesn't hinder core strength. It just gives you something to brace against.

Top Top