Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Should I leave the US? (Page 5 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alex_F:  Good for you!  Here's a cookie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30714/How_To-2482857.png

Join the legion
View Quote

Damn bro, you're kind of on the edge today.

I'm staying out of it, but from the outside you seemed to get upset over nothing.

Hope you're ok and just having a bad day.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Where would be better than here? I know it sucks here currently, but it still beats the shit out of any other country.
View Quote

I think that entirely depends on what criteria you are looking at.

I'd say quite a few countries are better in some areas. It depends what is important to you.

Gun rights yes the USA is #1. If not for that,its debatable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mjhines3:
Where do you plan on moving? Spain?, Portugal? Somewhere in South America? Thailand? Philippines?

View Quote

That. Where is going to make a big difference.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Are you sure about that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phillip42184:

Turkey. Beautiful weather, kind people. Clean, safe.

Are you sure about that?

I was skeptical too but if you check statistics the murder rate is significantly less then the US.

So I guess it probably is safer.

Is it safer for a US citizen living there though ? I wonder if just being a foreigner will make you a target and you'll have more risk then the average Turk.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe you need to read "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey...
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#7]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

I was skeptical too but if you check statistics the murder rate is significantly less then the US.

Is it safer for a US citizen living there though ? I wonder if just being a foreigner will make you a target and you'll have more risk then the average Turk.

View All Quotes

Are you sure about that?

I have spent about a month there total, and while that's not a lot of experience it's at least some experience. I was on the west and south sides of the country.
I was treated exceptionally well. Tourism is big there and the service industry is excellent. I found Turks to be friendly.
I'm sure there are places to stay away from like any other, but generally I think it's fine.

I wouldn't live there permanently but if I had the opportunity to go for 6 months or a year to one of the nicer spots I wouldn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Wildfan99:
View Quote

He says he has saved enough to live for six years without working…
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a decent job, I’m 26 and make a little under 6 figures. But it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time. I took an overseas vacation with my dad last month and had an incredible time in a low cost of living country and met a beautiful girl who is just my type. What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. I’m thinking about quitting my job and moving overseas to live my life with an actual direction. Not spending $2000 a month on taxes, +$1000 a month in rent + a few hundred more for phone bill, electric, water, internet, etc.

I tried buying a house in 2020, 2021, and 2024, failed each time for different reasons. (Offer not accepted, insufficient income to get a loan, and the house failed inspection in 2024. I looked at buying a 30,000 house in the ghetto but there are shootings within a mile every week.

Anyway, it’s getting old now so I’m thinking of leaving.
View Quote

You actually need thousands of dollars and years for the immigration paperwork. Change of residency, work authorization and other stuff you'll need will be about $1600-2200 depending on what you need and it'll probably take between 3 and 7 years for the paperwork to be completed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I have spent about a month there total, and while that's not a lot of experience it's at least some experience. I was on the west and south sides of the country.
I was treated exceptionally well. Tourism is big there and the service industry is excellent. I found Turks to be friendly.
I'm sure there are places to stay away from like any other, but generally I think it's fine.

I wouldn't live there permanently but if I had the opportunity to go for 6 months or a year to one of the nicer spots I wouldn't hesitate.
View All Quotes

Are you sure about that?

I wouldn't mind visiting either.

How common is English speaking ? Can an American go to Turkey and be semi functional only knowing English ?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Buh-bye
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.  Go.  

You seem very familiar.  TWP?    SarahPlainandTall?  

Regardless, you should absolutely Go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:
ut it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time.

Same talking points repeated over and over again with little variance, over the course of years.

That's... interesting.

To get a fixer upper starter home,... and it would involve repairs

Another part of The Script

Interesting.
View Quote

That’s TWP’s MO.     He’s obviously good at it, ‘cause he suckers people in again and again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I never made $100,000 a year in my life. You're 26 and flirting with it already? You're going to quit your job, move to another country and start over because of a girl you met?

You know USA expats get taxed, even when they don't live inside our borders, right? The only way to avoid federal taxes if you move outside the USA is to annul your citizenship. Once annulled, you need a green card to work inside the USA and have to apply for citizenship all over again. That means you have to wait in line, just like any other "foreigner".

I'm glad my penis doesn't rule my decision-making processes any longer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I never made $100,000 a year in my life. You're 26 and flirting with it already? You're going to quit your job, move to another country and start over because of a girl you met?

You know USA expats get taxed, even when they don't live inside our borders, right? The only way to avoid federal taxes if you move outside the USA is to annul your citizenship. Once annulled, you need a green card to work inside the USA and have to apply for citizenship all over again. That means you have to wait in line, just like any other "foreigner".

View Quote

The first 100k or so is exempt and there are ways to deduct taxes paid to the host country so it's not necessarily double taxation.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

View Quote

Foreign earned income for U.S. citizens is exempt up to 120k a year or so, so unless he starts making more money in Turkey than he is making in the U.S., that's hardly worth worrying about.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Move - there are places in the US where you can live.
Or go overseas - I’m not one to care
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, you and I are the same age, very similar profession, similar income, and in the same boat with housing/work-life balance/etc, but I wouldn’t for a second think about moving outside the US.
As stated before, we live in a big country with more freedoms in general than any other country on the planet, even with all the attacks on every last one of them. Try a different state out. Move somewhere outside the shithole cities.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I have never made six figures, yet over my lifetime I bought three homes and built a retirement house in 2016 for under $200k

First house financed at 8.9%.

OP join the military and get you no down payment VA loan eligibility. I have never made a down payment on a home loan except on time when I had a rental and my house.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a decent job, I’m 26 and make a little under 6 figures. But it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time. I took an overseas vacation with my dad last month and had an incredible time in a low cost of living country and met a beautiful girl who is just my type. What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. I’m thinking about quitting my job and moving overseas to live my life with an actual direction. Not spending $2000 a month on taxes, +$1000 a month in rent + a few hundred more for phone bill, electric, water, internet, etc.

I tried buying a house in 2020, 2021, and 2024, failed each time for different reasons. (Offer not accepted, insufficient income to get a loan, and the house failed inspection in 2024. I looked at buying a 30,000 house in the ghetto but there are shootings within a mile every week.

Anyway, it’s getting old now so I’m thinking of leaving.
View Quote

My biggest takeaway is you created an account at 16 and barely posted? Good luck op!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#21]

How common is English speaking ? Can an American go to Turkey and be semi functional only knowing English ?
View All Quotes

Are you sure about that?

Very common, yes absolutely. I'm sure there are some rural areas where that's not the case, but English is very widespread in the cities.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
Originally Posted By Wildfan99:

Yet the only house he can afford is one in Detroit for 30k...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:31:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gamboolman] [#23]
phillip42184

You're making almost double what I was at age 26 (adjusted for inflation).  And I was married with a newborn son.

Your doing great.

Suggest you join the following two forums, read and study up.

Early Retirement

Bogleheads

Time is on your side.

ETA, we lived overseas as Married Accompanied Expats the last 20 year of my career with megaoil corp.  You can make more money working International but you must have the skillset.  I was 44 before I went International and that was after 26 year Oilfield experience.
But we lived and I worked in places no one goes to vacation at.  Just saying....
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By zukguy:

Damn bro, you're kind of on the edge today.

I'm staying out of it, but from the outside you seemed to get upset over nothing.

Hope you're ok and just having a bad day.
View Quote

I dislike people just gainsaying what I state and acting offended when I tell them I don't care about their opinion.  Sure, sure, I'm the bad guy because some dipshit comes along and tells me I'm wrong when I didn't ask them their opinion.

Yeah, he's not at fault at all.  Not. At. All.

I'm the one GETTING UPSET OVER NOTHING...  

ffs GD.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

Yet the only house he can afford is one in Detroit for 30k...
View Quote

Of course I could go 300,000 into debt to purchase a house far from work, in a safer but not ideal place, but that just doesn’t make sense financially. There are some 200,000 that would be ok, however I’m hesitant for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#26]
OP is making good money and because cost of living sucks in big cities, moving to a third world foreign land is the answer? Doesn’t compute. So for a single guy who is looking for a useless, overpriced house, a tiny apartment in Turkey is better? Doesn’t compute. With what you’re making you could save up to buy some cheap land way out in the sticks and a used airstream in cash. Not good enough, a nice cabin. I’m sure op could also work remotely in some capacity or just commute.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:57:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 999monkeys] [#27]
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:
OP is making good money and because cost of living sucks in big cities, moving to a third world foreign land is the answer? Doesn’t compute. So for a single guy who is looking for a useless, overpriced house, a tiny apartment in Turkey is better? Doesn’t compute. With what you’re making you could save up to buy some cheap land way out in the sticks and a used airstream in cash. Not good enough, a nice cabin. I’m sure op could also work remotely in some capacity or just commute.
View Quote

He’s young and has the freedom to go do something fun.

He has the rest of his life to be boring.

Travel and living abroad > owning a house.  Everyone owns a house.  It’s just a possession, not an accomplishment.

Everyone should travel in their 20s.  By the time you hit retirement you cannot do the fun things you can do in your 20s.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#29]

lol. Kind of a dumb question, but maybe you just don’t understand. In Detroit, where I can buy a house without debt, there are shootings every week. Where I live now there are bums and the kind of idiots who would shoot a pizza delivery driver for the cash they have. In Turkey the bums are promptly told to move on. And just laying down on a park bench can get some genuinely friendly, respectful cops to check out to make sure you’re not a drug addict or something.
View Quote

I’d try moving out of that shithole first for a better and cheaper part of the country. Take vacations to travel. The world has some neat places…but in the end there’s a reason they’re all trying to come here.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Turkey.  safe.
View Quote

Pick one of the above.  Turkey is a really cool place....until it suddenly isn't.

They've had regular coups (the most recent one may have actually been a false-flag to derail an actual coup), have an active insurgency, a "transitional democracy government" (where the Islamists have run the tables for the last 20 years), and might end up at war with either Israel, Greece, or the Russians on any given weekend.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#31]
When I was in my early 30's I left the US to see the world, travelled around for 5 months and ended up in Japan which had been my primary goal. I was open to any other opportunity along the way but didn't find anything special.

I planned to stay for 5 to 10 years to get experience and improve my ability to hold a professional job working in the local language. I had been stationed here for 2 years long before that so I had some idea what I was getting into.

I am still here 30+ years later.

I would say to make a plan to be there for two years to really get to know the place. Learn some of the language and culture. See if you can get work not so much to start a career (unless that becomes an option) but to work with and be around locals who you didn't choose to associate with - that kind of experience will show you a different side of any culture.

If you decide Turkey is not for you - you can try some other country (maybe one with an easier language to learn?) - or figure out a better place to live in the US.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Djibouti is ripe this time of year
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:45:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Xiden will fix it in his second term.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Turkey Woods or Turkey where they talk funny?  Nice troll.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:59:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#35]
OP
Do like I did.
Work all of the hours that you can.
Rent cheap, the smallest apartment that you can live in, because you only need it to sleep and cook meals, don't buy a home and have to take time doing maintenance, lawn mowing, etc.
Plus with a home you accumulate too much shit you don't really need.
Save your money, invest, compound interest is your friend and your money for retirement.
Retire early then travel.
Because if you leave work and travel now then you will at some time have to return to work, fuck that.
Plus you will have burned through your savings that could be earning compound interest.
I can live here in Thailand just off of dividends from my investments.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:18:56 AM EDT
[#36]
The beautiful girl will no longer be interested when you are unemployed......
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:21:31 AM EDT
[#37]
If I had gone to Patagonia when I was your age, I probably never would have come back.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:49:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#38]
Originally Posted By broncobisley1:
The beautiful girl will no longer be interested when you are unemployed......
View Quote

This would be the perfect test to see if she is interested in him, or only his income, or the green card. If she sticks with him she's probably a keeper. If she dumps him he learned a valuable lesson cheap and can find an upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#39]
OP - yes.  Leave the US and go live somewhere else.  See how it works out for you.  You will find that the opportunities and functionality of the US are difficult to beat.  Be honest with yourself whatever you do. Go figure it out.  

I lived in Costa Rica for two years when I was 19.  I had little desire to live abroad after that.  Since then, however, I have spent several more years living and working abroad.  Very rewarding, but I am tired, about to retire and am looking forward to being back in the US.  

Enjoy seeing the world, but there is no shame in returning to the US because it is an amazing country.  It’s why nearly the entire planet does all they can to come here.  It is that awesome.  Don’t forget that as you indulge your wanderlust.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Hey, I lived in Turkey for a few years, and it also has some very beautiful and fertile farmland, but calling it clean is a bit of a stretch.  
There was a lot of routine littering when I was there, and the one beach I tried to go to was disgusting.

The Turks are very hospitable people though.  Lots of cool history there as well.

I have heard a lot of good things about Portugal being very affordable and a nice place to live, as well as Thailand.

In my opinion, many countries have significantly more personal freedom than the over-regulated US.   (Usually that freedom won't include guns though.)  
Everything has it's pros and cons.

During previous decades Americans ridiculed many other countries for having a dysfunctional, inefficient government that made life frustrating.  
However, some of those countries have now improved somewhat, and anyway, the US government is now exceeding many of them in dysfunctionality, so do some research, because there are a lot of happy expats out there.

In some countries, the medical system is much, much more effective and affordable than in the US.    
It isn't too hard to find anecdotes where for the cost of the US insurance co-pay, you could instead pay to fly to another country, stay in a 5-star hotel for a week, and get the same treatment there, and still come out saving money.   Thailand is a good option for this.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#42]

In Turkey?
No he doesn't.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By mjhines3:
Where do you plan on moving? Spain?, Portugal? Somewhere in South America? Thailand? Philippines?

Turkey?  Really?

Are you Muslim?  If not, are you willing to convert?  

That's where I would start.
Why would he need to convert?

First he has to decide whether he will convert.  Then he still needs to figure out Sunni vs Shia.

In Turkey?
No he doesn't.

A large percentage of the membership here will never ever be convinced the world isn’t scary.

You’re wasting your time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#43]
What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. .
View Quote

No, you can file a K1 visa all by yourself, free (except for the fee).  Takes about a month.

The real danger is that your third-world person will quickly get acclimated and hang out with ****-Americans and start to demand more, and eventully turn into a full-blown American,  what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

So yes, moving to that country is a lot more logical. There is an overabundance of locals and it is unlikely she will leave you.

I went out on a date with an Ukrainian refugee.  Told her I am a single father and have been single for X number of years.

She told me "You are an idiot".
Basically turns out over there every married man also has a girlfriend #1 and a girlfriend #2 in addition to the primary wife. If the wife leaves, he will have GF #1 sitting in the living room the same evening or within 48 hours. They all more or less compete for his attention.

Finding a woman in these countries is as difficult as finding a tree in the forest.

I have been to some of these countries. Online dating sites result in about 100 more hits, too many hits to go through. Better still is meeting people in person. Met someone within 2 hours of landing.

The social scene in US is pure poison. Don't cite me 1980's, I mean right here and right now.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#44]

CNC programmer. I wouldn't have to work for another 6 years if I left. However I'd probably take the time to develop custom software to make extra money on the side.
View Quote
There is a huge disconnect in your story.  You can't buy a house and hundreds of dollars to bring the lady you found to the US bothers you yet you won't have to work for 6 years if you move?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#45]

lol. Kind of a dumb question, but maybe you just don't understand. In Detroit, where I can buy a house without debt, there are shootings every week. Where I live now there are bums and the kind of idiots who would shoot a pizza delivery driver for the cash they have. In Turkey the bums are promptly told to move on. And just laying down on a park bench can get some genuinely friendly, respectful cops to check out to make sure you're not a drug addict or something.
View Quote
Do you think that is everywhere in Turkey? Maybe, just maybe, it's just like here where when the final four or the World Series is in town miraculously the bum camps under downtown overpasses disappear.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:47:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VectorX] [#46]
Delete this post.  Due to double post.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Yes.  Go
View Quote

Love it or leave it.

You obviously don't love it.

If you're not willing to fight for it, you don't deserve to live in it.

Bye

Oh, and if you leave, don't look back. Lock the door from the inside, and close it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 351wsl:
Having traveled a fair bit, and lived overseas a little, I've only been to one other country I'd consider living in and that's Switzerland.

I'm sure there are others, but none that I've been to.

Belgium - nope
Germany - nope
France - nope
Italy - close, but nope
Austria - nope
Mexico - nope
Canada - nope
China - nope
Japan - nope
Vietnam - nope
Australia - nope

And although I've never been to one, I'm pretty sure I can say that no Muslim majority country would even come close to a yes.
View Quote

I've been around Europe a lot as well.   It would have been helpful if you gave a brief reason for disqualifying each country in that list.

As far as Switzerland, if someone can actually get over the relatively challenging hurdle of getting a permanent residency there, I concur that Switzerland is a GREAT option.

I can add that the French countryside to the west of Germany is incredibly beautiful.  Little villages with neatly-tended yards full of flowers and flower boxes in almost every window.  With a lush, fairy-tale countryside with beautiful farm fields separated by small forests.    What would worry me about France is future instability or civil war due to their large and growing moslem population.

Japan will ALWAYS treat you as an outsider, but if you can deal with that, I think there are lots of positives and few negatives to living there.  
Rural villages are being depopulated, and thus have very inexpensive houses available.  If you had some kind of remote work or location-independent income, that would be ideal.

I would be curious what the disqualifying issue was for Italy?    Not all of it is hot and dry like Tuscany or Sicily.   The northern areas of Italy in the foothills of the Alps are beautiful.   Generally the south has more chaos and crime than the north.

I think places like Hungary, Portugal, Italy, and Spain have good potential.   Maybe also other places in Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Slovenia) would be promising if you had a wife there with really solid ties in the local community.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Reason Define-Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Reason Define-Should I Stay Or Should I Go (The Clash/Cover)
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#50]
28, nothing keeping me in place, a stack of cash, and a remoteable job?   I'd be sailing around the Caribbean, then head across to the Azores and into the Med.  

At least get out of Detroit.
Page / 7
Should I leave the US? (Page 5 of 7)
Top Top