Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/2/2024 7:09:22 PM EDT
My Major Table Saw Accident - What You Need to Know! (Not Graphic)
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm eternally grateful for my 7th grade woodshop teacher for drilling power tool safety into me.

OTOH his assessment of the danger of a vertical bandsaw was a bit exaggerated.  I got out of that class thinking that it was called a "banned saw" because only the advanced 9th graders were allowed to use it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By California_Kid:"banned saw"
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
On two different days, my grandfather chopped off his left and then right thumb with a chainsaw.
Both times they were re-attached.
He would horrify us kids by sticking a sewing needle through one.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#5]
She should use that saw to trim those ears.  But they probably make for good hand holds. Kinda like pistol grips.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
On two different days, my grandfather chopped off his left and then right thumb with a chainsaw.
Both times they were re-attached.
He would horrify us kids by sticking a sewing needle through one.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
I'm eternally grateful for my 7th grade woodshop teacher for drilling power tool safety into me.

OTOH his assessment of the danger of a vertical bandsaw was a bit exaggerated.  I got out of that class thinking that it was called a "banned saw" because only the advanced 9th graders were allowed to use it.
View Quote

7th grade wood shop we were allowed to use everything, including the lathe, radial arm saw, and band saw, but the table saw was strictly for the teacher only.

We've had a Saw-Stop at work for years and I still treat it with the utmost respect.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#8]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

7th grade wood shop we were allowed to use everything, including the lathe, radial arm saw, and band saw, but the table saw was strictly for the teacher only.

We've had a Saw-Stop at work for years and I still treat it with the utmost respect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Getting a body part twisted up in a lathe is actually a bit more frightening then getting something cut off with a saw, to me at least.

That big 3 phase motor gives zero fucks that your arm is now part of the rotating mass.

eta:
I use this regularly now, and it is unforgiving. Zero safety stops, full torque all the time. Anything that goes in is
getting turned to mush. if your hand got caught in the dough hook ... oh fuck that would be bad.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: watgar] [#9]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-29-2015/y2JHH3.gif
View Quote

Yup, sawstop ftw

Been working in a cabinet shop for 10 years, and still got all my fingers...

*Knocks on wood*

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:36:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#10]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
She should use that saw to trim those ears.  But they probably make for good hand holds. Kinda like pistol grips.
View Quote

Shhh! Be quite or she'll hear us typing and fly over here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I lost my finger.. so I made a new one
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Getting a body part twisted up in a lathe is actually a bit more frightening then getting something cut off with a saw, to me at least.

That big 3 phase motor gives zero fucks that your arm is now part of the rotating mass.

eta:
I use this regularly now, and it is unforgiving. Zero safety stops, full torque all the time. Anything that goes in is
getting turned to mush. if your hand got caught in the dough hook ... oh fuck that would be bad.

https://i.postimg.cc/Cx5bjk5X/0.jpg
View Quote
What is this amazing thing
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#14]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
View Quote
Like a kitchen-aid stand mixer but bigger and more manly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I worked in a cabinet shop for a few years. This happened quite frequently. It was never fun following the blood trail with a gallon of bleach.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I was using a skill saw to rip some wood when it kicked back on me, the saw crawled up my arm putting indentations in my shirt, but never drew blood.   I had to sit down for a few minutes when that happened,
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I just dragged a table saw home.

Am I going to die?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#18]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#19]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
I just dragged a table saw home.

Am I going to die?
View Quote

Slowly, bleeding to death while you writhe on the floor calling feebly for help as the family dog runs off with the detached body parts...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
View Quote
Hobart mixer. The bigger brother commercial version of KitchenAid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

My seventh grade woodshop teacher did the same. Even today I'm extra scared of table saws. For demonstration day, he had the saw launch a 2x4, i still have nightmares about that. Same with the lathe, the old shirt sleeve and wig getting yanked gave me pause, and I had grown up using power tools at home with my dad!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was a firefighter, my station primarily covered a large retirement community and they had an amazing wood shop. It was a reasonably regular run for us to go to the wood shop because someone put a finger where they shouldn't. It was somewhat funny when guys would dig through the dust bin and find bits of flesh and nail and then bring it to us to take with the patient to the hospital. Ummm... my guy, put that back in the trash, please.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By watgar:

Yup, sawstop ftw

*Knocks on wood*

View All Quotes

Yup, sawstop ftw

*Knocks on wood*

Fuck Sawstop with a sideways cactus.
Those slimy commie fucks tried to lobby to make that shit a REQUIREMENT on ALL saws.
If you feel you need/want that feature, fine, go buy one, but don’t try to force your shit on everybody with unnecessary legal burden and increased cost particularly just to give yourself the market advantage.

I’d bet $50 that hotdog went straight in their asses after filming that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#24]
As an old guy who has been working with equipment for 50 years, I am happy that I still manage to have all my digits with me. It's the marbles that I could be missing.

When I worked in the lumber mill, there were lots of fellas missing body parts, quite amusing at times
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#25]
In 2005 or 2006, they came to show the school how cool it was. The blade cut the hotdog in half. The guy messed with it, and it cut another one as well.

Stupid school still bought one, and found out that the model couldn't cut conductive material, or damp wood, and promptly disabled it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
When I retire and build my shop, the first tool I’m buying is a Sawstop cabinet saw
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#27]
just watched a newer vid since that was from 2 years ago.  Looks like it dont bend no mo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kitwulfen] [#28]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
Hobart mixer. The bigger brother commercial version of KitchenAid.
View Quote

Wait till he sees daddy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#29]
If you cut one off with a miter saw they can put it back on Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
A lady at the deli in a nearby grocery store got her hair caught in a Hobart while making cookies. It pulled her in and tore her up. I no longer buy the bakery cookies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an old Craftsman cast iron table saw from the '60s.
Great saw, but I view it as a stray pit bull when I have to use it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVqa7j6jG0Q
View Quote

I’d love to have something similar that wasn’t cyberpunk. I looked at a prosthetic at one point but the cost was too stupid for what was offered
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By simplemitch:

Those slimy commie fucks tried to lobby to make that shit a REQUIREMENT on ALL saws.
If you feel you need/want that feature, fine, go buy one, but don't try to force your shit on everybody with unnecessary legal burden and increased cost particularly just to give yourself the market advantage.

I'd bet $50 that hotdog went straight in their asses after filming that.
View Quote
They would do a lot better if they started making retrofit kits for other saws.  I'd buy one for my Unisaw, but I can't justify spending $4K on a saw to replace the saw that I already have and works great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#36]

eta:

https://i.postimg.cc/Cx5bjk5X/0.jpg
View Quote

I grew up using a floor model that was that tall.  It was impressive, and demanded respect.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kitwulfen:

Wait till he sees daddy.
View Quote

I grew around these things as my dad was a baker.  Never realized how dangerous they were  

I used to scrape the bowls when I was a kid.  Sometimes it was even running.

I wonder how we all lived.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#40]

If you feel you need/want that feature, fine, go buy one, but don’t try to force your shit on everybody with unnecessary legal burden and increased cost particularly just to give yourself the market advantage.

View All Quotes

Yup, sawstop ftw

*Knocks on wood*

Oh no! A business wants to sell their product! Capitalism = Communism!!!  I hate profits!!!  America!!

Are you this angry over airbags and antilock brakes?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I'm ready to cut me foot off if that makes anyone feel any better.
Not really kidding either.
View Quote

Ummm, ok.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
View Quote

Damn, those ears.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Watched a guy reach into a mixer (to pull out part of a Portland bag) and withdrew his hand 2 fingers less…pulled the tendons out and everything…we retrieved them but the Portland destroyed any chance of reattachment…
Pissed hot at the hospital too…
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

LOL my shop teacher must have moved to your AO or something.  Same emphasis on safety (well, and also hand sanding ), same distrust of band saws.  Took me years as a 'serious hobbyist' woodworker to confront the beast head on, and came away with digits intact.  Now mine's got a 1.5hp motor upgrade, 3/4" blade and a riser block so I can resaw 12" stuff.

That's not to say the thing won't lop off a finger or two before you even know they're gone, though.  Push stick is mandatory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By grinning_bob:

I grew around these things as my dad was a baker.  Never realized how dangerous they were  

I used to scrape the bowls when I was a kid.  Sometimes it was even running.

I wonder how we all lived.
View Quote
You should see the ones aboard the old battleships. 8ft tall with a 4-5ft dia bowl.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

Oh no! A business wants to sell their product! Capitalism = Communism!!!  I hate profits!!!  America!!

Are you this angry over airbags and antilock brakes?
View Quote
No dumbass. Capitalism is when you make a better product and everybody buys it because they want it.

The faggot that owns the saw stop patent went to congress to try and make it mandatory that every table saw manufacturer would be required to buy his product in order to sell saws in the USA.  And it still might happen, which is bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
No dumbass. Capitalism is when you make a better product and everybody buys it because they want it.

The faggot that owns the saw stop patent went to congress to try and make it mandatory that every table saw manufacturer would be required to buy his product in order to sell saws in the USA.  And it still might happen, which is bullshit.
View Quote

It's about to happen for new saws.  Won't be long.  The only good news is that most of the SawStop patents have expired, and the "important" patent - I think the 840 patent - would be released to the public if the final rule is adopted per the SawStop folks.  That patent is what has stopped many competitors from making something similar in the last 20years.  Poor Bosch tried but lost in patent infringement lawsuits.  

I've got CPSC issues after the furniture tip-over rulings from last year - not a fan of that group.  I'm a furniture manufacturer and probably need 4 new table saws soon, hopefully they can last long enough to get something that isn't SawStop but has the same technology.  Luckily after 23 years we've only had a few small accidents but would still be good to have that reduced risk.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:

View Quote
LOL and amen.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I think those Saw Stop assemblies are genius.  I don't use a table saw very much, but if I did I would replace my saw with something compatible to the Saw Stop.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#50]

eta:

View Quote

Hello, I would like to make a reservation for two...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top