Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 11:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench]
So, what doesn’t matter?

This is not a religious or spiritual thread.  This is more of a technical thread.

There are things lots of people worry about that you don’t think matter much. (Like the old school thought that you must change your oil every 3k miles or you can’t swim after eating…..)

The hope of this thread is to find people that know what they are talking about that might dispel some things many of us believe….that we probably should not (or at least as much as we do)

We have so many subject matter experts here. Perhaps we can learn some stuff…and probably watch a few train wrecks.

The TLDR is, perhaps you KNOW something that most people worry about and they shouldn’t.

Good luck and may G-d have mercy on us all…!

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Your fleshlight doesn't need to be stored in a Faraday cage in case of nuclear war.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What don’t you want?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything matters to someone.

Though clearly as a civilization we passed the point where knowing it all leads to madness quite some time ago.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It Just Doesn't Matter! - Meatballs (6/9) Movie CLIP (1979) HD
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Consequential knowledge is what really matters.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It doesn’t matter! In fact in a few seconds you won’t even BE matter
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Three things I could not care less about:
1) Global warming,
2) Personal pronouns, and
3) White guilt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Almost everything we buy insurance for and try to protect against has a much lower risk than dying in a car crash. Well, except for actual car insurance.  

Whenever my wife is worried about the kids doing this or that "dangerous" activity, I tell her driving them to school is more dangerous, because statistically, it is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I read mosquitoes perform no useful function and can be eliminated without fear of repercussions
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Almost everything we buy insurance for and try to protect against has a much lower risk than dying in a car crash. Well, except for actual car insurance.  

Whenever my wife is worried about the kids doing this or that "dangerous" activity, I tell her driving them to school is more dangerous, because statistically, it is.
View Quote

Statistics aren't a measure of personal risk, tho.  

You can mitigate risk in all kinds of ways that decrease your chances of mishap far below that statistical average.

It why I chuckle and roll my eyes when people cite statistics about owning guns and being shot in the home
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:22:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#11]
Quicksand is way down at the bottom of the list of things that matter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody actually committed suicide on Black Tuesday, or at least because of it.

Anyone who thinks they know how to tie shoes is incorrect unless they're familiar with the Turquoise Turtle. If that seems like a nonsense term to you, you don't actually know how to tie your shoes; you just think you do.

Manhole covers are traditionally round in shape because that's the only shape that cannot possibly fall into its own hole.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]
White glove cleaning firearms doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:

Manhole covers are traditionally round in shape because that's the only shape that cannot possibly fall into its own hole.
View Quote

Not an expert, but I'd debate this one as questionable. The real reason is that the circle has the closest ratio of lip to cover, so you get the most hole for the lid you use. You could make a triangular manhole that can't fall in by just extending the lip more and more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Handgun caliber doesn't matter.  Shot placement does.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:35:26 AM EDT
[#16]
The ultimate fate of the universe (heat death).
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Swervin:

Not an expert, but I'd debate this one as questionable. The real reason is that the circle has the closest ratio of lip to cover, so you get the most hole for the lid you use. You could make a triangular manhole that can't fall in by just extending the lip more and more.
View Quote

Normally, I would join you in your request to debate the issue you mention, but then I realize..."it just doesn't matter"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:24:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Military small arms are mostly for mental comfort and building Espirit De Corps. Belt feds and larger along with explosive weapons like artillery and mortars do astronomically more of the actual killing. At the end of the day in a standard conflict a rifle is a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Tyler was right: the things you own end up owning you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#20]
From the Master teacher…

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#21]
GFIs
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:

More hole for your lip. Nice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:13:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Frosty] [#23]
Sunk and fixed costs.  

They just don’t matter. I’ve seen very senior  executives get this wrong once in a while.

For people with less experience they can do the calculations they can hear the reasoning and still don’t believe it.

When random sampling you don’t need to force the same distribution as the previous sample. If you try to you will bias your results. If you have to it is a flaw in your sampling method. My experience is 90% of people get it. The 10% can’t understand it and sometimes have degrees in statistics.  CLT baby

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#24]
People over value averages. I won’t say they don’t matter but people overestimate how much they matter.

For instance would you rather make an average profit of  $100 on 1 or $10 on 1000000000?  

If the average profit of your last few widgets is 0 you may be the best or worst manager in the world.

Even maximizing ROI or ROI thresholds can be wrong.    If I have fixed $$ ROI is fine. However, once we throw borrowing in,  ROI for individual decisions starts breaking down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Statistics aren't a measure of personal risk, tho.  

You can mitigate risk in all kinds of ways that decrease your chances of mishap far below that statistical average.

It why I chuckle and roll my eyes when people cite statistics about owning guns and being shot in the home
View Quote
A guy asked me why carry a handgun when the need to use it is such a small risk.

I told him; Your life is a percentage, my life is binary.

The risk of fire in a modern home is minuscule but I have three fire extinguishers.  And I did use one once.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#26]
What does matter is perspective.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:
White glove cleaning firearms doesn’t matter.
View Quote

*angry boomer noises.

(My dad does that)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#30]
On a synchronous motor or generator, the polarity of the two leads feeding the wound rotor coils does not matter.  That is, the DC current could go either way and it will still work just fine.
Top Top