Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
We recommend them when they get to 6 years old at my shop.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 0100010:
6 or 7 years max for 4 wheel vehicle.
View Quote

What is it for a motorcycle?  I have seen someone killed because their MC blew a tire….his wife survived but her hand was hamburger…. Don’t recall if that was tire age or road debris though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:

You are incorrect.

This was a recently installed 12 year old tire… notice the carcass is still holding air while the entire tread has left the tire.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335094/IMG_0519_jpeg-3204835.JPG

View Quote

@TarzanT
Was that the initial factor in the crash?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#4]
I had one split along the circumference at 7 years old. They had good tread depth still, didnt look terribly dry rotted, and I did not realize they were that old (forgot I replaced 2 tires, others were 5 years old).

Car was parked outside pretty much all the time though. Rubber was rock hard. I also put some heat into them prior to it splitting.

5-6 years is my cutoff.  Sooner if they crack up or rubber feels hard.

I pulled the full size spare out a 20 year old car I bought. I was like "fuck yeah, pristine wheel and new tire".  Then I noticed how hard it was, 20 year old tire. No dry rot at all, bit no way would I have used it as more than a temp spare.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My Ford shop won't touch a tire over 8yrs old, but Ford got bit hard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

It's almost as if 12 years is within the 10-15 years he said
View Quote

That tire blew within a month of being installed.  The tire company that installed it violated their own policy of not servicing any tire over 6 years old.  So you’re ok with tires that can come apart when leaving the tire company?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tac556:

@TarzanT
Was that the initial factor in the crash?
View Quote

Yes.  The tire coming apart led to loss of control of the 4-Runner.  I was on the motorcycle that got hit when the rolling/tumbling Toyota crossed the median into oncoming traffic (me).

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

IMHO you just saved yourself a bad trailer accident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spidey07:
Originally Posted By rgaper:
Funny timing on this thread.  

I was looking at my boat (saltwater) trailer this week after a trip and despite the tires being in visually good shape, I noticed they were 2014 manufacture date... older than the boat.  I ordered a new pair and put them on tonight.

Coincidentally, our travel trailer is a 2019 and was dropped off at the dealer today for annual service for a "lifetime" warranty.  I asked about the tires and the service guy said they recommend 3 years on heavy use and 6 years on moderate use unless there is obvious damage or wear.  Most common issue resulting in failure within those guidelines is under inflation.  That's what I was told at least.

IMHO you just saved yourself a bad trailer accident.

I agree.  I've only had this boat 2 years and for its first year, it was in dry stack so I wasn't using the trailer but twice a year... to the marina in May and back from the marina in November.  I had my boat guy replace hubs and axle when I first got it and he said the tires were in good shape... shame on me, I never gave it a second thought.  

This year I'm trailering it for every launch and when I looked at the tire date code, I was horrified.  I almost always am alone or have my 8 year old son with me.  Tires are insanely inexpensive compared to any possible issue. $250 shipped for a pair of tires with galvanized wheels, got them in 2 days with free shipping.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]

That tire blew within a month of being installed.  The tire company that installed it violated their own policy of not servicing any tire over 6 years old.  So you’re ok with tires that can come apart when leaving the tire company?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

It's almost as if 12 years is within the 10-15 years he said

Where did I say that?

Maybe go back and read everything again more slowly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard that Discount Tire will not work on them if they are past a certain age, IDK I thought it was 6 years?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I ride every tire I have to the belts.  I hate buying tires.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
My 1995 Pathfinder still has the original spare tire on the tire carrier. I keep a spare tire cover on it and it looks like new, no dry rot, holds air fine. I did have to change the valve stem a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Zak406:
I ride every tire I have to the belts.  I hate buying tires.
View Quote

Weird. I LOVE new tires. Like a brand new car.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
NTSB says replace after 6 years
View Quote

My best buddy in the world (a mechanic) says the same.... Also when buying tires, DONT BUY OLD TIRES! They are ALL date coded...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I just wait until the sidewalls crack and leak air.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
No idea if (5) year old tires warrant replacement due to age. Perhaps have a tire shop that you use/trust check them out. Only thing I can think could be a concern would be soft sidewalls...
View Quote

Five years is the industry standard. I've known people (mostly elderly) that put less than a thousand miles a year on their vehicle. Same with those that drive a company car... their personal vehicle just sits in their drive way. Rubber has a shelf life.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
When they blow up while stationary.  I thought Biden was out front shooting off his shotgun.  Had maybe 6k miles on them. Close to eight years old.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Honestly, if she's bitching about tires, just replace them. It'll stop her complaining about the tires.

And they probably could stand to be replaced
View Quote

Maybe she could replace her own tires..equality and all
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]

You are incorrect.

This was a recently installed 12 year old tire… notice the carcass is still holding air while the entire tread has left the tire.

View Quote

Naw man. That sucks. I hate seeing wrecked 3rd gens. Makes my heart hurt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:47:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#20]
“It depends” is the answer you’ll get.

Depends on the speed rating.
Depends on the storage conditions.
Depends on the performance you want.
Depends on the PSI and load.

My 2018 Raptor just got new shoes. I bought it with 9000 miles on it in December 2022. Always stored in side.  Like new tires. It now has 40,000 miles on it and got new shoes a few hundred miles ago.

Original tires easily had 25% life left. But they started to perform horribly.  They were chopping and cupping very badly. Extremely loud highway noise.

The new tires are almost dead silent. Same brand. Same name. BFG KO2s.

Night and day difference.

Semi trucks it’s generally 5 years. Recaps can be as little as 2-3 years.  They sit outside.  Extremely high loads and PSI tires compared to passenger car tires.

Passenger car tires 7-10 years. Light truck tires (F350 and below) are on the lower end of that range before you start having performance issues.

Racing tires can be as low as 2 years - assuming you don’t burn them off first. The compounds harden and you lose a lot of performance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PoppinFresh:

NFPA 1911 dictates that we replace tires on Fire Department apparatus at 7 years.

I also don't drive a whole lot of distance and my tires "age out" before they wear out... I use the above reference for my POVs. The cost seems negligible versus the risk.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PoppinFresh:
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1911, Standard for the Inspection, Maintenance, Testing, and Retirement of In-Service Emergency Vehicles states the following: 8.3.6 Tires shall be replaced at least every seven years or more frequently when the tread wear exceeds the state or federal standards as determined by measuring with a tire depth gauge.

NFPA 1911 dictates that we replace tires on Fire Department apparatus at 7 years.

I also don't drive a whole lot of distance and my tires "age out" before they wear out... I use the above reference for my POVs. The cost seems negligible versus the risk.

I recently retired as a fire mechanic,  this was the schedule we used for our vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:48:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#22]
I just replaced the original tires on my 1993 Miata last year. Wasn't a single crack on them and no sign of dry rot. It was always stored inside and out of the sun. However, older tires had much more carbon [lamp] black in them which deters UV damage.

I have no illusions that the replacements are going to last even 1/4 the time.

The originals were Bridgestones.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Ain't worth fucking with. Tires are the only things that actually touch the ground. 6 years to date code if they look good. If not change that shit. I own like 5 air compressors.... nothing is under inflated, ever. Except when I'm wheeling. Then it's 10-18 psi and an air up afterwards.

I love some of the mentality out there on tires. 82k power stroke, big 5th wheel and and a high dollar boat aren't a problem, but the rubbers for all the shit is somehow.  So dumb....

Folks will run around in 70-90k$ suvs, while the fucking tires are damn near showing belts.... again, the only piece of safety equipment that actually touches the ground...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#24]
If you see a tire failing, it was already failing a year before you saw the signs.

Tires don't go bad on the outside where it's visible to you first. It takes a year from the time they're actually going bad and are dangerous before you can see outside signs. They go bad inside the tire first.

The belts will start to separate before you see it or feel it. The rubber will harden or crack on the inside of the tire before it starts on the outside. The adhesion between the tire and the tread section can fail before you can see it, and the entire tread section can come apart and fall off the car, before there are any outside visual signs.

30 years ago they were able to make tires where the rubber would last longer than the tire construction would. We sold tires that would last over 100,000 miles, Bridgestone Turanza Ts, they had a 100,000 miles warranty on them. The problem, was that while the rubber on the outside looked great, the rubber on the inside of the tire would fail first.

You didn't get any cues as to it going bad, they would just come apart all of a sudden, no warning. They ended up causing more trouble, wrecks etc, than they were worth, so Bridgestone quit making them after about 8 years. You had to stay on customers to come in a put on new tires on a schedule. It was hard to get people to let you sell them new tires when their old ones looked good.

A friend of mine, a traveling salesman for Stanley tools, put about 100,000 miles a year on his work car. He was out west, and went over 125,000. It was another 20,000 miles before he made it back home. When he got back he had a tire coming apart. He loved those tires, but we had to tell him not to go so long on them. After 100,000 miles, he needed to go ahead and trade them in wherever he was at. Those tires would fool you. They had very little wear on the outside, but inside they were coming apart.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#25]
My max is 7 years.

Earlier than that if there is sidewall cracking or noticeable loss of performance (hardened).

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Some of you guys are a little dramatic.
"time bombs"...
I'm still running my original Goodyear Wranglers on my '06 Rubicon and have no intention of changing them until the tread gets worn down.
Dry rot cracks in the sidewall would cause me some concern, but I consider it nothing to worry about if the cracks are in the tread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 0100010:
6 or 7 years max for 4 wheel vehicle.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#29]
6 years at the max.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Am I going to die?

replaced tires on my H1 in 2007 with BFG 02 MT at 27k truck has 44k now, truck is inside always drive it 4-6 times a month.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#31]
Originally Posted By Dano523:

This, since the rubber starts to harden, and worse yet, the cords in the tires stretch, to cause the tire to go out of round.

So learn to read the Cdot code date on the tires, to make sure the new tires going on are not few years old to start with, and when they hit the 6 year mark (where most tire manufacturers end their tire wear warrenty on the tires as well), time to change them.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/tire-info/tire-date-codes/

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dano523:
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
NTSB says replace after 6 years

This, since the rubber starts to harden, and worse yet, the cords in the tires stretch, to cause the tire to go out of round.

So learn to read the Cdot code date on the tires, to make sure the new tires going on are not few years old to start with, and when they hit the 6 year mark (where most tire manufacturers end their tire wear warrenty on the tires as well), time to change them.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/tire-info/tire-date-codes/

Once they gave the tire manufacturers a ''life'' date, longevity went to shit and manufacturers took out as much of the expensive anti UV materials as they possibly could. Hey, only has to last 6 years so F the public and we are legally covered................

UV stabilizers are almost always one of the most expensive additives for any product and every manufacturer looks for ways to cut the cost of it. The easiest of course is to use less of it but any changes always affects the ratio's and proper mixing and curing of the product, sometimes significantly.

Unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I have 2013 made tires on our farm Mazda b2300. Going to replace them in the next couple months Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I replace mine at the 6 year mark. I ride during the warmer months so the truck just sits. They get hard and lose traction in the wet/snow. The last set I replaced only had 30K on them and tons of tread left but were absolute crap when it rained.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I have been watching forensic files, and it appears that it common to replace them after disposing of a body somewhere remote. I'm not suggesting it. Just adding it to the mix.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#35]
The type of tire, weight of the vehicle, and storage conditions have nothing to do with the life of the tire.

It's like motor oil, just sitting in the garage causes damage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Local tire shop won't touch tires over 5 years old.  No patch, rotate, whatever.
Liability thing.
Don't forget spare tire.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Old tires, say over 6 years start to get hard and lose some of their grip when stopping, so your stopping distances get longer.

I was fanatical on high performance motorcycles, I always had fresh rubber.

If you are driving around town and never get over 40 MPH, I would go with the visual observation and know you have lost some stopping distance.  10 years, why not?

I had a motorhome start to blow tires at 6 years.

If you are driving 75 or over through the desert , or anywhere where the ambient temperature are hits 100, I would not let a tire get older than 6 years on anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#38]
6-10 years depending on how/where it was stored.

I'm running into this issue with our NC Miata. Tires are almost brand new but they're 6+ years old. They still seem ok for traction as it's been garage kept but i'm starting to keep an eye on them for signs of reduced traction.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By spearogun:
Performance tires wear out by age and or heat cycles. You can only get them up to high temps so many times before they get hard.

Ask Paul Walker if he wished that Porsche had new tires. The tires had plenty of tread but were old and hard.

My autocross race tires have gone through too many heat cycles and gotten hard. They have plenty of tread but don't get sticky any more when heated up. So even though they are wider than my street tires, they offer less traction and I can't push the car as hard because I know the car can break traction and slide easier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:37:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#40]
About two weeks ago I almost wrecked mine on old tires. I have the car for sale and was working on the tune so it wouldn't downshift and break the tires loose at speed. I was doing about 70 and rolled on the gas pretty hard, back tires broke loose (without down shifting), when I turned the wheel to straighten it out, the front tires started sliding. Twice during, I thought, damn that was close!, but I never did get a handle on it. It was like I was on ice. I eventually did a 360 before stopping. Fortunately I have a section of good straight road with no traffic I can do stupid shit on, but it got my attention.  The tires are 17 years old, I hardly ever run them, they are kept indoors deflated. They weren't dry rotted or worn, but they are hard as a rock. I now have new street tires. You can see the scuff here
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#41]

I had a set of Michelins start to literally come apart after about 6 years in the salt air/sun of the NC OBX.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#42]

You are incorrect.

View Quote

I had that same truck. I loved the green/tan combo. I miss it
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Continental says 10 years
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:05:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#44]
I replace them at 6 years no matter what.  I have had a 2 blowouts at 70mph due to age.  Both times beat the hell out of the truck bed.

I even replace my spare tire.

My current tires are 3 years old and already showing some light weather cracks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Does anybody replace their spares?  Spares are inside the vehicle so they are never exposed to the sun or other elements so you'd expect a longer shelf life.

When my mom stopped driving, she gave my son's fiancé her car.  It only had about 25K miles on it but the tires were 10 years old.  I replaced the tires before driving it out to her.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Good thread!

I have an old Jeep that I only drive on occasion, maybe 1000-1500 miles a years

It's stored in my basement shop, that is semi-climate controlled (heat and AC, but not kept like a normal living area (upper 50's to upper 70's)

The tires are 25 years old, but look fine.

Can you tell by looking at a tire if it has "dry rot"?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Tag for info.

I've always worn them out before they aged out
View Quote

Me as well. But......Ive got a 66 F250 I put a 4 new tires on in 2012ish. Its had maybe 2-3000 miles on it since then and is garaged.
Since i never really get over 60 Mph in it anymore and it doesn't see winters or even rain really, I'm struggling to make the call to replace them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#48]
During a recent rotate and balance at a national tire store, the salesman mentioned early dry rot to his tread depth measurement.  

This is on a two year old RAM 1500!

Thinking this might be turning into another sales tactic...

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:27:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#49]
Originally Posted By Phineas7:
Good thread!

I have an old Jeep that I only drive on occasion, maybe 1000-1500 miles a years

It's stored in my basement shop, that is semi-climate controlled (heat and AC, but not kept like a normal living area (upper 50's to upper 70's)

The tires are 25 years old, but look fine.

Can you tell by looking at a tire if it has "dry rot"?
View Quote
@Phineas7
See my post above. Those tires looked fine. They were hard as a rock and had zero grip. Very dangerous.

Since my "incident" I've learned softer rubber found in high performance tires will actually get harder than a more conventional tire will over time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#50]
I replace trailer tires every four years.  For some reason they always seem to dry out and crack faster than truck tires.  6 years on those.

Just replaced the one's on the boat trailer, no cracks on the side wall but VERY obvious cracks in between the tread blocks.  

My previously $78 tires are now $124. Thanks Biden.
Page / 3
Top Top