Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 9:47:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
He’s technically not wrong as the potential exists, but there needs to be some caveats and qualifiers as he is massively overstating and mis representing the issue.

1) size matters.

I’ve shot 9mm revolvers for a decade or so, and have not encountered the issue. All of my 9mm revolvers are steel frame, and only one is J framed size, a Taurus 905.  I generally stick to 115 gr or 124 gr loads in that smaller, lighter revolver.

It’s not clear on the linked article whether it’s a Ruger LCR or an SP101 that had the issue.  In my experience with the slightly larger and 5 oz heavier than a J frame sized Ruger SP101, the more or less K framed sized AL9, and L frame comparable Speed Six, I have found that 115, 124 and 147 gr ammunition in both hand loaded and factory loaded form has worked fine.

It’s worth pointing out that .45 ACP also doesn’t use a crimp as like the 9mm Luger it head spaces on the case mouth.  It has significant recoil and significantly heavier bullets. However bullets migrating forward under recoil and locking the cylinder isn’t a problem.  That’s almost certainly due to the heavier weight of these larger revolvers and the positive effects it has on reducing recoil velocity.

The take away here and the qualification that should be made is that 9mm is potentially problematic in lightweight revolver, and an alloy frame is a bad idea in that regard. That’s why you won’t find them in that frame material.  The steel frame Taurus 905 weighs in at 21 oz empty and I’d call that the floor, based on my personal experience.   The Ruger LCR is 4 oz lighter and IMHO that’s pushing the limits for use with full power self defense loads.

2) The ammo matters.

The article refers to 115 gr ball ammunition from a well known manufacturer.  Remington, Federal and CCI all sell 115 gr FMJ 9mm ammunition and while they are all well known manufacturers, none of those are what I would rank as high quality 9mm ammunition.   The article doesn’t name a manufacturer.  Personally, I would avoid CCI blazer aluminum cased ammunition due to the potential for reduced neck tension.

Farnham cites some ammunition makers including a warning “not for use in revolvers”, but again doesn’t say who.  I have hollow point self defense loads from Remington, Winchester, and Hornady as well as FMJ loads from Remington, Winchester, CCI (brass case), PMC, RWS and Sellier and Bellot and cannot find any such warning.

3) It’s not a problem unique to 9mm.

I also avoid alloy frame .357 Mag revolvers but do have a couple steel J frame .357s (2.125” and 3”) as well as a couple Kimber K6 revolvers (2” and 3”), and a 3” SP101.  I have had issues with bullet migration in those revolvers as well as in some 2 1/2” and 3” K frame revolvers.

Consequently it’s always been my policy and recommendation to fire at least 50 rounds of your intended self defense load through your revolver before carrying it.  More importantly, part of this proving process is two mark and then load a round in the cylinder, then fire the entire cylinder except that round, and then rinse and repeat with that same round two more cylinders. That subjects that round to 12-15 recoil cycles.  I’ll repeat that tooth two more rounds.  If none of those three rounds grow any longer then bullet migration is extremely unlikely.

There are some .357 Mag factory loads that won’t pass this test, even though those rounds are crimped.

Yet no one is suggesting not to use a .357 Mag revolver due to bullet migration concerns.  Instead they recommend testing the revolver and ammo combination for this potential issue.

If you remove the bias against 9mm revolvers n general expressed by many folks, the same recommendation can and should be made for a 9mm revolver.

—-

It’s worth noting that when using 9mm and moon clips you will never encounter issues such as getting a rim caught under an ejector star during a reload, preventing the crane from going back into the cylinder until you carefully pick the case out from under the ejector star.

The short 9mm Luger case in a revolver also effectively means any ejector rod is “full length” and creates much more positive ejection. That can be a big issue with the shorter ejector rods used in some short barrel .357 Magnum revolvers.

9mm reloads with moon clips are also faster than with .38 or .357 and a speed loader.

Yet apparently we are supposed to ignore those clear advantages and avoid 9mm revolvers due to a theoretical potential for bullet migration that is in the real world no greater than is the case for .357 Magnum.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for spelling his last name right!

There's a reason 9mm never became commonplace in revolvers.

I find it hard to argue with him, as his small arms knowledge is vast. Peruse his archived quips on his website if you have some down time, the man knows a lot about small arms.

I'm going to try and train with him this year.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
He’s technically not wrong as the potential exists, but there needs to be some caveats and qualifiers as he is massively overstating and mis representing the issue.

1) size matters.

I’ve shot 9mm revolvers for a decade or so, and have not encountered the issue. All of my 9mm revolvers are steel frame, and only one is J framed size, a Taurus 905.  I generally stick to 115 gr or 124 gr loads in that smaller, lighter revolver.

It’s not clear on the linked article whether it’s a Ruger LCR or an SP101 that had the issue.  In my experience with the slightly larger and 5 oz heavier than a J frame sized Ruger SP101, the more or less K framed sized AL9, and L frame comparable Speed Six, I have found that 115, 124 and 147 gr ammunition in both hand loaded and factory loaded form has worked fine.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/A4E21E86-C558-48D0-91DE-5009926FFF12.jpeg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

It’s worth pointing out that .45 ACP also doesn’t use a crimp as like the 9mm Luger it head spaces on the case mouth.  It has significant recoil and significantly heavier bullets. However bullets migrating forward under recoil and locking the cylinder isn’t a problem.  That’s almost certainly due to the heavier weight of these larger revolvers and the positive effects it has on reducing recoil velocity.

The take away here and the qualification that should be made is that 9mm is potentially problematic in lightweight revolver, and an alloy frame is a bad idea in that regard. That’s why you won’t find them in that frame material.  The steel frame Taurus 905 weighs in at 21 oz empty and I’d call that the floor, based on my personal experience.   The Ruger LCR is 4 oz lighter and IMHO that’s pushing the limits for use with full power self defense loads.

2) The ammo matters.

The article refers to 115 gr ball ammunition from a well known manufacturer.  Remington, Federal and CCI all sell 115 gr FMJ 9mm ammunition and while they are all well known manufacturers, none of those are what I would rank as high quality 9mm ammunition.   The article doesn’t name a manufacturer.  Personally, I would avoid CCI blazer aluminum cased ammunition due to the potential for reduced neck tension.

Farnham cites some ammunition makers including a warning “not for use in revolvers”, but again doesn’t say who.  I have hollow point self defense loads from Remington, Winchester, and Hornady as well as FMJ loads from Remington, Winchester, CCI (brass case), PMC, RWS and Sellier and Bellot and cannot find any such warning.

3) It’s not a problem unique to 9mm.

I also avoid alloy frame .357 Mag revolvers but do have a couple steel J frame .357s (2.125” and 3”) as well as a couple Kimber K6 revolvers (2” and 3”), and a 3” SP101.  I have had issues with bullet migration in those revolvers as well as in some 2 1/2” and 3” K frame revolvers.

Consequently it’s always been my policy and recommendation to fire at least 50 rounds of your intended self defense load through your revolver before carrying it.  More importantly, part of this proving process is two mark and then load a round in the cylinder, then fire the entire cylinder except that round, and then rinse and repeat with that same round two more cylinders. That subjects that round to 12-15 recoil cycles.  I’ll repeat that tooth two more rounds.  If none of those three rounds grow any longer then bullet migration is extremely unlikely.

There are some .357 Mag factory loads that won’t pass this test, even though those rounds are crimped.

Yet no one is suggesting not to use a .357 Mag revolver due to bullet migration concerns.  Instead they recommend testing the revolver and ammo combination for this potential issue.

If you remove the bias against 9mm revolvers n general expressed by many folks, the same recommendation can and should be made for a 9mm revolver.

—-

It’s worth noting that when using 9mm and moon clips you will never encounter issues such as getting a rim caught under an ejector star during a reload, preventing the crane from going back into the cylinder until you carefully pick the case out from under the ejector star.

The short 9mm Luger case in a revolver also effectively means any ejector rod is “full length” and creates much more positive ejection. That can be a big issue with the shorter ejector rods used in some short barrel .357 Magnum revolvers.

9mm reloads with moon clips are also faster than with .38 or .357 and a speed loader.

Yet apparently we are supposed to ignore those clear advantages and avoid 9mm revolvers due to a theoretical potential for bullet migration that is in the real world no greater than is the case for .357 Magnum.

I agree with everything in this post 'cept the "full length" ejection.
Measure, measure a whole bunch of revolvers, measure tens of thousands of reliable revolvers and get back with how many deliver a Full length ejection stroke.
Hmmmmmm.

And, in the revolvers that DO offer full length ejection, run a thousand rounds and figure the "rim under star" malfunctions and get back to me.
I have a large database of ejector lengths squirreled away and "partial ejection" is "totally reliable" especially if you let gravity assist

But every other word he wrote is straight up thruth.

So it looks like click bait to me or at the minimum, someone who encountered an issue with ONE aluminum frame revolver with ONE ammo source. Lightweight revolvers have some good points but your ammo has to meet the test. Do the work and carry on.

View Quote

Measure, measure a whole bunch of revolvers, measure tens of thousands of reliable revolvers and get back with how many deliver a Full length ejection stroke.
Hmmmmmm.

And, in the revolvers that DO offer full length ejection, run a thousand rounds and figure the "rim under star" malfunctions and get back to me.
I have a large database of ejector lengths squirreled away and "partial ejection" is "totally reliable" especially if you let gravity assist

So it looks like click bait to me or at the minimum, someone who encountered an issue with ONE aluminum frame revolver with ONE ammo source. Lightweight revolvers have some good points but your ammo has to meet the test. Do the work and carry on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
It’s worth pointing out that .45 ACP also doesn’t use a crimp as like the 9mm Luger it head spaces on the case mouth.
View Quote

Where did this bit of B.S. come from?
They use a taper crimp but we all know that already.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of LCRs in 9mm. I have checked them for bullet pull. I have not seen any with the ammunition I use (various standard pressure 115, 124, and 147 grain FMJ and Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain for defense). I won't say there is none because I didn't bring calipers to the range, but I shot 50 rounds of the G2 147s, fire 4, check the 5th against a round out of the box that hadn't been loaded, and there was not a noticeable difference. The same was true with standard pressure ball ammo. I shot a cylinder full of 124 grain +P Gold Dot the last time I went to the range. I didn't check it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had some bullet pull. The recoil on those was as unpleasant at the .357 Magnum version of the LCR with full power loads. I shoot mostly 147s in mine for practice because they shoot to the sights and recoil is more like a .38 Special.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Some months ago I picked up an LCR 9, I've only run 500 +/- rd's but have had no issues with bullet pull, just a few 115gr as I mostly stock / shoot 124's.
I've checked a few rounds here and there, #5 in the cylinder with no noticeable length change by comparison, brands include American Eagle, Lawman, S&B, Norma and HST's.
When I carry it which isn't all that often it's full of 147gr HST which shoot to the sights as do 147 gr Lawman and are comfortable to shoot, 124gr S&B shoot fairly close, I've read
in what I consider good sources that the federal 147's are least likely to have pull issues plus the shot cycle to me anyway, is more subdued then the 115's and 124's
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:34:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#7]
Originally Posted By Neogirevik1:
Thank you for correctly spelling his last name right!

There's a reason 9mm never became commonplace in revolvers.

I find it hard to argue with him, as his small arms knowledge is vast. Peruse his archived quips on his website if you have some down time, the man knows a lot about small arms.

I'm going to try and train with him this year.
View Quote

Not a problem. Oh, and FIFY
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:43:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#8]
Originally Posted By HomeAtLast:

Where did this bit of B.S. come from?
They use a taper crimp but we all know that already.
View Quote

in the context of he linked article he’s talking about the roll crimp being used on rimmed revolver rounds. A roll crimp is specifically used as an adequate roll crimp will prevent bullet migration under recoil, which is one of the key reliability issues in heavy recoiling revolvers.

Roll crimps cannot be used on rimless rounds like the 9mm Luger and the .45 ACP as they headspace on the case mouth.

But sure, knock yourself out. Read the entire fucking post and then come off like a pedantic asshole focusing on taper crimp rather than crimp as used and intended in the article.  

“We” all know the difference between the two crimps and where they are used.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

Hmmmmmm.

View Quote

A “Full length” ejector rod has traditionally been defined as the length of the .38 Special case and for S&W revolvers that’s the metric they use, with most revolvers with 3” or longer barrels accommodating a “full length” ejector rod.

That clearly means that the average .357 Magnum won’t have an ejector rod long enough to fully eject the case with just slow finger pressure.

Gravity can help a .357 drop that last .125” clear of the cylinder, but rapid operation of the ejector rod is a better bet.

Where having less than full length ejection (even with a full length ejector rod) can be a big problem is with max loaded .357 magnum rounds in some revolvers where the ejection with those loads can be sticky.   A Universal or Stress Fire reload is certainly more effective at ensuring clean ejection than an FBI reload, particularly with a 2 1/2” revolver with a shorter than standard .38 Special “full length” ejector rod, that will leave more than 1/4” of the case still in the chamber at full ejector rod stroke.

The points here are three fold:

1) With the short 9mm case, and a revolver with a “full length” (for a .38 Special) ejector rod, the cases are pushed well clear of the chambers by the ejector rod and would have to levitate there is space in order to end up under the ejector star.

2) even with 9mm revolvers like the Taurus 905 where the ejector rod is not full length by .38 Special standards and is only just full length for the 9mm Luger, the ejection is still “full length”; and

3) With all the cartridges captive in the moon clip, none of them can become trapped under the ejector star.

——

How often does a cartridge case get caught under an ejector star?  I’ve had it happen twice with K frame revolvers. It’s not a quick jam to clear, even when you are not receiving fire.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Non issue, but I suppose he needed something to write about.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#11]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
View Quote

I measure every revolver that goes thru here and of course all of mine.

The only revolver I own that will eject past the full length of the empty case is a 1950's K-22. It has had a number of cases under the star, and requires a upward tilt of the barrel when ejecting to avoid that.
It will also completely eject a loaded case, those WILL fall into a "case under star" without an elevated barrel every time.

This is a gun used by all of my kids to learn DA trigger, and as a training tool for the same purpose. So the kids of course quickly learn to avoid the problem.

If you start measuring the ejection stroke of a large number of DA revolvers, it can be enlightening.

We shoot thousands of rounds thru DA's every year, I carry one every day. I have no desire and have never found any need for what the web calls a "full length" ejector, it doesn't bother me a bit if someone else desires that but good luck finding it in the real world.

The longer you make the rod, the more prone it is to bending, specially in awkward position like laying on your side to shoot under a barricade and needing to reload from that position.

As I said, I keep a list of every revolver possible so, if people want to measure and post for various guns, I'm interested

ETA: standing, on a square range, in nice weather, it's a problem that will probably never happen with good technique.
      Being in a hurry, in the dark, in a weird position behind cover, little things can crop up that some people will never experience on a range.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#12]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
View Quote

I've been on this forum 5 years longer than you but you have over 20 times the number of posts I have.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but it does argue against your judgement that I'm just "needing something to write about".

I try mightily to only comment on topics I have a serious amount of personal experience with, or my friends and family have experience in that I've observed. Even then, I keep quiet many times.

@John-in-austin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top