Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 5/16/2024 7:57:58 AM EDT
I'm interested in the new Anaconda, are the frames forged like the previous generation?

That would make it stronger than the Redhawks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you cast stainless steel? I would say they are forged, but couldn't find it on their website anywhere.

Complete lack of specs.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:

Can you cast stainless steel? I would say they are forged, but couldn't find it on their website anywhere.

Complete lack of specs.

View Quote

Ruger has no problem casting stainless steel.  I don't know about the Colts though.  I don't see it as a big problem though.  I suspect either one will last more rounds than the average owner fires.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
Originally Posted By grendelbane: I suspect either one will last more rounds than the average owner fires.
View Quote

Fair to say. However, for the premium price new Colt revolvers sell for, I would want them to be forged.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I just saw a few new Colt revolvers announced and wanted to check on the 3” Viper. As per Colt, forged stainless steel…..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
A guy on another forum (so take it for what it's worth but he appears legit) who says he works for Colt said this: Colt no longer forges their own frames in house but they buy the material, have it shipped to the forging company. Colt owns the dies. Then finishes the raw forgings in house.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#6]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
A guy on another forum (so take it for what it's worth but he appears legit) who says he works for Colt said this: Colt no longer forges their own frames in house but they buy the material, have it shipped to the forging company. Colt owns the dies. Then finishes the raw forgings in house.
View Quote

They did a similar thing with their AR15 lowers, even before CZ acquired them.
CMT (among others) would forge and, I believe, machine the lowers, and Colt would QC and rollmark them.

It really doesn't make sense for a gun manufacturer to have to keep a foundry on site.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Most gun companies contract out the raw forging process.
It's too expensive to do in-house, and too dangerous.

What Colt gets from the forging operation looks like a vaguely gun shaped lump of metal that looks like a kid made a clay gun.
This is similar to what Colt gets.............

As is well known, almost no maker does forgings for AR rifles, they all buy from specialty forges and do the machining in-house.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:14:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slvrktman] [#8]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Complete lack of specs.

View Quote

All Ruger firearms are investment cast…right? Never understood why they are so pricey!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#9]
Originally Posted By Slvrktman:

All Ruger firearms are investment cast…right? Never understood why they are so pricey!
View Quote

Yep, and they are proud of that fact too.

Ruger saw the need for quality investment castings

They are not cheap either, like you said. A new stainless SP101 is $919 msrp.

It's why I buy used surplus police revolvers.Just bought my daughter a police surplus stainless SP101 for $400. "just as good' as new after a good cleaning, complete disassembly and parts check.

As far as Colts, I prefer the 70s Police revolvers, like the mint 4" .357 Lawman I picked up for ~$600. Action is like butter. Ain't paying no $1000 for any wheelgun, cast or forged.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as Colts, I prefer the 70s Police revolvers, like the mint 4" .357 Lawman I picked up for ~$600. Action is like butter. Ain't paying no $1000 for any wheelgun, cast or forged.  
View Quote

So you prefer your frames forged, but don't mind sintered parts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:

So you prefer your frames forged, but don't mind sintered parts.
View Quote

I hate sintered steel and MIM.
Which revolver manufacturer doesn't do that for their small parts?

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top