Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2023 6:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04]
I was looking to upgrade from my beater Konus Konuspot 65 15-45x65mm scope that I bought 2nd hand from the EE. It's fine for what it is, but I want somethin' mo' betta!

After doing some lookin' and talking to some dude named Scott out of Camera Land in New York, lol, I was steered toward this the Athlon Ares models:

Athlon OpticsAres G2 15-45x65 UHD

Athlon OpticsAres G2 UHD 20-60x85

With the above in mind, do any of you guys have any experience with the two above models? Or with Athlon in general??

Muchas gracias, for any info!

Oh, yeah, and I almost forgot. I wanna use the spotting scope for shooting at steel out to 600 yards.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Just butting in ... You don't need a spotting scope for steel; you could use something like a flashing target hit indicator.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-products-from-hornady-hit-target-indicator-mobilis-single-door-safe-and-5-7x28-ammo/

MagnetoSpeed T1000 Target Hit Indicator

Caldwell Flash Bang target hit indicators
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Can you not see steel impacts out to 600 yards with your scope? Or are you using it to spot for someone else?
View Quote

Using it to spot for other people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#5]

Given the shorter range and easier packing with size I would go with the 15-45x but have no experience with Athlon.

Another to look at is the Bushnell. It has a reticle in it to call corrections easier.

https://www.bushnell.com/additional-products/view-all-spotting-scopes/legend-tactical---t-series-spotting-scope-15-45x60/BU-781545ED.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:

Using it to spot for other people.

Given the shorter range and easier packing with size I would go with the 15-45x but have no experience with Athlon.

Another to look at is the Bushnell. It has a reticle in it to call corrections easier.

https://www.bushnell.com/additional-products/view-all-spotting-scopes/legend-tactical---t-series-spotting-scope-15-45x60/BU-781545ED.html

Hmm, that’s a nice compact spotter. Do you know how good the glass is? In a majority of the reviews, the Athlon Ares was noted for having good glass and punching above it’s weight. It performed well when pitted against more expensive spotters.

Athlon also has a model with a mil reticle.

Okay, so, in order to clarify, I want a better quality spotter to help spot other shooters, and have others spot me. I have access to a shooting spot that goes out to 800 yards, but don’t frequent that spot as much as the 600 yard range.

Do you think that that the 45x Athlon spotter would work out 800 yards for just spotting duties? On a review I saw on-line, some guy was digiscoping deer out to 900 yards and it was pretty damn clear.

Do you guys think this guy is bullshitting?

Athlon Ares UHD with phone skope

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Any other feedback?
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can afford a spotter with a FFP reticle, go that route. I'd suggest buying as much magnification as you can so long as you are still getting quality glass.. Calling impacts on paper with 223 and 308 at 600 yards, even with 60x will be hard. Steel impacts you can  just look for movement and oftentimes the impact will clear enough paint off that you can easily spot the impact on the plate. Alternatively you can put clay pigeons out, they don't self reset but they show impact really well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:57:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, for sure, I’m not expecting to see holes on paper at distance, but due hope to see impacts on steel and misses kicking up dirt around the steel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get the best glass that has the most power, you don't have to max it out, but its nice to know its there if you need it, while a lower power is more compact, smaller lens will not produce as good of an image as a larger will with the same quality of glass..Nothing is more useless than an underpowered scope...It does nothing good....
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my shooting partners recently purchased an Athlon Ares G2 20-60 spotter... can't beat the value.  Side by side with a Vortex Viper 20-60 and a Razor 20-60, all 3 are about equal... the Razor is disappointing, probably why they've been on sale at $750 lately but Vortex Viper & Athlon Ares work just as well.  Our range only goes to 350y so that's as far I've looked thru any of the above spotters.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#11]
Originally Posted By CPTmorgan:
One of my shooting partners recently purchased an Athlon Ares G2 20-60 spotter... can't beat the value.  Side by side with a Vortex Viper 20-60 and a Razor 20-60, all 3 are about equal... the Razor is disappointing, probably why they've been on sale at $750 lately but Vortex Viper & Athlon Ares work just as well.  Our range only goes to 350y so that's as far I've looked thru any of the above spotters.
View Quote

Thank you for the feedback based on actual comparisons against other spotters.

I am just looking for a spotter that will let us see impacts on steel (plate moving) and splash around the steel when missing. I do not expect to see holes on paper and do not expect to see where exactly on the plate shots were landing. I just want something better than the Konus Konuspot spotter that I got off the EE for a good price but don’t want to spend $1000 plus on a spotter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top