User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Misha…since this is used to be a gun forum I read that as Mishaco.
View Quote

I watch a lot of automotive stuff on YouTube, so I know of the Nürburgring Misha.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I would like to see The Gottliebs bring the Big Red Camero over to try the Ring
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting that.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
DAMN! I had no idea that Sabine had passed. That's a bummer. I liked her.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of GM engineers can run the ring. Where other companies pay a race car driver to run their times GM has engineers to do it.
They can drive to.

Nürburgring lap: 2014 Camaro Z28
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:19:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Had to be GT3 RS.  GT2 RS tries to kill you at the limit.
View Quote

992 GT3RS and “possibly GT3” (992 from last year).
He liked the Porsche brakes better, and recommended Z06 get better buckets cause of G’s.
He’s a great driver and does great reviews.
They ran Cup2R’s and set camber at -3, other than that, factory carbons and pads - he recommended better pads which of course I’m sure race pads would help.

He almost torpedo’d a BMW around the 10min mark (looked like he wanted to pass on right, but BMW moved over to right so he could pass on left) good thing those brakes work good, he might have a nugget in his pants lol. Running the Ring fast in normal traffic has to be a huge pain in the ass. He was passing everything like it was standing still.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude can drive and that car is a fucking machine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Frankly surprised the NHSA hasn't mandated a national 40MPH creeper mode activated when the tire pressure warning system shows a discrepancy.

I'm sure their working on this legislation as we speak.

Kudos to GM. The price point/performance ratio is a game changer.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Amazing. C8s rock, and IMO have changed the auto world for the better. Get some Chevy!
View Quote

Yeah, they really do. Amazing cars for sure.

What some of us miss though is what the 'Vette used to be, but is no more. Most past Corvette generations were probably the best "real world" sports cars there ever were, with great handling, performance, and a ton of baggage capacity for road trips. Ever travel with a woman? You need a LOT of space. They were also not priced out of reality for most drivers. The C7 was really the last of it's kind, and there really is nothing that fills that role anymore. To me the Corvette is no more, the C8 is really something different entirely. I absolutely love what even my old C5 is, and in a month we're going to take it on a tour up the Blueridge Parkway. It is perfect for that and will be a ton of fun, no matter how slow it goes around the 'ring.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Yeah, if I had the money and space, I'd definitely have a nice C7 too. IMHO they were kind of a pinnacle in traditional Vette styling.
View Quote

Agreed. And judging from current C7 pricing we're not alone!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
The Nürburgring is too legit. Unequivocally the most badasss racetrack to ever exist. Also, one of the oldest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Nicely done. I’m happy 2 of my cars are supposedly capable in the sub 7:20 times. Under 7:00 is cooking
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Car looked to me, 100% Stable, everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

He is a pro.  He races GT4 endurance now along with SuperGT and Jimmy in a BMW put together by Black Falcon.  They have done well, with podiums but have also run into car failures.
View Quote

I thought he looked familiar. I'm subscribed to Steve's (Super GT) channel and watched his Nürburgring videos a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:12:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#19]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
View Quote

I think I only heard tire scrubbing a few times even. There was one time it seemed to start breaking loose just the tiniest bit but he powered it back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By xd341:
A sub 7 minute lap is getting after it in a street car.
View Quote

It sure is.  The Gen 4 Viper did the full ring in 7:22 back in 2008 and for awhile that was a new record.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I thought the same.  The aero on the C8Z/Z07 works.  Lots of downforce from that rear wing and the dive planes contribute to the front.  

GM nailed the hell out of it with this car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:33:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#22]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Quoted for the record
View Quote

I THINK he means sub 7, second lab, IE first lap would be over 7 (cold tires) ,  second might be under 7(warm tires). Im hoping to get a fancy car some day.

is that 1.5G of lateral at some points in the video!?!?!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Damn, I was hoping this was going to be the legally blind gun reviewer and FFL, that would have been a hoot of a video.
View Quote

Yeah, I like him
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#24]
The Porsche GT2/3 is still the king of track-focused street cars but it's close.  Most reviewers who've pushed the Porsches and the new Z06 to their max say the same.

For the price of the Porsche, you can buy 2 max-optioned Z06's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Got it up to 160ish MPH at one point.

The C8 is on my bucket list
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

I THINK he means sub 7, second lab, IE first lap would be over 7 (cold tires) ,  second might be under 7(warm tires). Im hoping to get a fancy car some day.

is that 1.5G of lateral at some points in the video!?!?!
View Quote

It is. I know the accuracy of those can be considered suspect, but even if it’s off by .2 that’s still incredible. With the speeds he’s holding through turns I’d bet on it being accurate though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

It is. I know the accuracy of those can be considered suspect, but even if it's off by .2 that's still incredible. With the speeds he's holding through turns I'd bet on it being accurate though.
View Quote
There is a difference between momentary and sustained too, skid pad numbers are lower speed, lacking down force and sustained.  I could see a Z06 at triple digits pulling 1.5 for a second or two.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#28]

I think I only heard tire scrubbing a few times even. There was one time it seemed to start breaking loose just the tiniest bit but he powered it back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Street tires will squeal a lot louder than track tires. These weren’t the stock tires - they were the Cup2R’s.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

Street tires will squeal a lot louder than track tires. These weren't the stock tires - they were the Cup2R's.
View Quote
I thought he said it would be better on cup2Rs? Not sure what the stockers are...cup2s probably.

I'm not sure they weren't talking more than we could hear, too many lovely engine sounds to tell.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Damn, I was hoping this was going to be the legally blind gun reviewer and FFL, that would have been a hoot of a video.
View Quote

That was my first thought too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:44:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#31]
I think Misha is the current record holder for laps of the Ring.

He literally hammers other people’s car daily, 4 to 5 a day.

You can tell because different car episodes have him in the same clothes and he often mentions that this is car X for the day.

He wrecked his personal GR86 last year and it was rebuilt by  “Gapped?” I think.

I watch his channel more than I should.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#32]
What is the story on APEX letting him go?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
There is a difference between momentary and sustained too, skid pad numbers are lower speed, lacking down force and sustained.  I could see a Z06 at triple digits pulling 1.5 for a second or two.
View All Quotes

It is. I know the accuracy of those can be considered suspect, but even if it's off by .2 that's still incredible. With the speeds he's holding through turns I'd bet on it being accurate though.

I think it’s DJ and I that have pulled 1.5’s on track - both with streetable track tires not slicks. This was my 992 911S last year. I’m heading out to the first track day opener tomorrow
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

I think it's DJ and I that have pulled 1.5's on track - both with streetable track tires not slicks. This was my 992 911S last year. I'm heading out to the first track day opener tomorrow
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_4148_png-3203859.JPG
View Quote
beautiful cars.

I don't doubt it and I don't doubt the Z06 is capable as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#35]
beautiful cars.

I don't doubt it and I don't doubt the Z06 is capable as well.
View Quote

Oh it is for sure - especially if going to pull sub 7min Ring times lol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#36]
What is the story on APEX letting him go?
View Quote

I think Robert just closed Apex. Misha was going to buy it, but then decided to just keep doing the YouTube thing and not take on the headaches that made Robert want to quit running it. That’s my recollection from piecing together info from the video Robert made, and the interview Misha did on a podcast.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

I think Robert just closed Apex. Misha was going to buy it, but then decided to just keep doing the YouTube thing and not take on the headaches that made Robert want to quit running it. That’s my recollection from piecing together info from the video Robert made, and the interview Misha did on a podcast.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#39]
The only problem with the C8…is getting one, at least at MSRP.

I’ve been bumped to 2025 so the question becomes which will be easier to get, Z06/7 or an E-Ray?
View Quote

What model are you after? 1LT Stingrays are MSRP around here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#40]
The only problem with the C8…is getting one, at least at MSRP.

I’ve been bumped to 2025 so the question becomes which will be easier to get, Z06/7 or an E-Ray?
View Quote

They’re out there. Might not be able to order one, but there are people who are bailing on their orders. Metro dealer allegedly had one on the lot about a month back for MSRP. I was really surprised to see the ad running for several weeks.

I got tired of waiting and bought something else.

ETA: assumed Z06, but BlackTaco raised a valid question.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't have $100K+ laying around but for what you get, these seem like a tremendous bargain.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#42]
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:
I don't have $100K+ laying around but for what you get, these seem like a tremendous bargain.
View Quote

Compared to the price of every other factory car that comes close in performance, yes.  The Z06 is a remarkable bargain: half or 1/3 the cost of its competitors.

The C7 Z06 was no slouch either when compared to Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, and Porsche but it didn't have the super car look or track performance, just the power.  The C8 has it all except the feeling of superiority that comes from owning an exotic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

Compared to the price of every other factory car that comes close in performance, yes.  The Z06 is a remarkable bargain: half or 1/3 the cost of its competitors.

The C7 Z06 was no slouch either when compared to Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, and Porsche but it didn't have the super car look or track performance, just the power.  The C8 has it all except the feeling of superiority that comes from owning an exotic.
View Quote
C5 Z06 was 90% of what a front engine corvette could be, C6 was 95%, C7 was like 105%...they stretched that a little too far. She could get a little hairy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Spot on.  

I am not a fan of Chevy.  Even the bowtie symbol looks like shit, then the C8 comes along...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#45]
C5 Z06 was 90% of what a front engine corvette could be, C6 was 95%, C7 was like 105%...they stretched that a little too far. She could get a little hairy.
View All Quotes

It's unfortunate that the C5 and C6 had the interior quality of a $20k car.  The C7 was better but the C8 really nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#46]
If you sim race. ACC added the 24hr Ring for PC and consoles.

It is way harder to race in ACC than it is in GT7.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#47]
View Quote

There’s a video floating around where a GM engineer says they could have got more out of the FR layout, they just hit a plateau where cost would increase substantially. There was talk of AWD, turbos, and electric front drives.  

Everything we see today is thanks to Cadillac. GM poured tons of money into the C6 development as they wanted a Cadillac street fighter, AKA the XLR. That was also when the mid engine development began as they intended to make a mid engine Cadillac super car. Then they hit bankruptcy.

They went so wild with the C6 engineering that the C7 is still one of GM’s lowest development cost platforms they’ve ever made. They just did some tweaks here and there, and the C7 was ready. Development cost for the C7 was less than they spent developing the new version of the Ecotec 4 cylinder motors. $275 million. For comparison, the Chevy Cruze cost them almost $1B to develop.

The mid engine prototype they were developing for Cadillac lived through all of it somehow. Not only was it performing better than the FR cars, it was practically ready for production halfway through the C7 life cycle, and it was cheaper than building a new FR layout.

I still think this is one of the coolest prototypes ever. There are no known pictures of the first prototypes, but this is the one from 2014 famously known as the Blackjack. It’s a Holden Ute body with a C6 cockpit, Cadillac prototype suspension parts, and a transmission ripped straight out of a Porsche. It’s crazy to think this Australian mid engined truck was intended to become a Cadillac only supercar at one point. Instead it gave birth to the C8.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#48]

It's unfortunate that the C5 and C6 had the interior quality of a $20k car.  The C7 was better but the C8 really nailed it.
View Quote
They spent the modest price on performance, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#49]

There's a video floating around where a GM engineer says they could have got more out of the FR layout, they just hit a plateau where cost would increase substantially. There was talk of AWD, turbos, and electric front drives.  

Everything we see today is thanks to Cadillac. GM poured tons of money into the C6 development as they wanted a Cadillac street fighter, AKA the XLR. That was also when the mid engine development began as they intended to make a mid engine Cadillac super car. Then they hit bankruptcy.

They went so wild with the C6 engineering that the C7 is still one of GM's lowest development cost platforms they've ever made. They just did some tweaks here and there, and the C7 was ready. Development cost for the C7 was less than they spent developing the new version of the Ecotec 4 cylinder motors. $275 million. For comparison, the Chevy Cruze cost them almost $1B to develop.

The mid engine prototype they were developing for Cadillac lived through all of it somehow. Not only was it performing better than the FR cars, it was practically ready for production halfway through the C7 life cycle, and it was cheaper than building a new FR layout.

I still think this is one of the coolest prototypes ever. There are no known pictures of the first prototypes, but this is the one from 2014 famously known as the Blackjack. It's a Holden Ute body with a C6 cockpit, Cadillac prototype suspension parts, and a transmission ripped straight out of a Porsche. It's crazy to think this car was intended to become a Cadillac only model at one point.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3411_jpeg-3204667.JPG

View All Quotes

There's a video floating around where a GM engineer says they could have got more out of the FR layout, they just hit a plateau where cost would increase substantially. There was talk of AWD, turbos, and electric front drives.  

They went so wild with the C6 engineering that the C7 is still one of GM's lowest development cost platforms they've ever made. They just did some tweaks here and there, and the C7 was ready. Development cost for the C7 was less than they spent developing the new version of the Ecotec 4 cylinder motors. $275 million. For comparison, the Chevy Cruze cost them almost $1B to develop.

I still think this is one of the coolest prototypes ever. There are no known pictures of the first prototypes, but this is the one from 2014 famously known as the Blackjack. It's a Holden Ute body with a C6 cockpit, Cadillac prototype suspension parts, and a transmission ripped straight out of a Porsche. It's crazy to think this car was intended to become a Cadillac only model at one point.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3411_jpeg-3204667.JPG

GM has a long history of engineers and program managers that were genuine car guys. They dreamed up nutty shit that car guys would dream up, begged borrowed and stole the resources they needed and basically ran development like one of us would.  At least in the early stages, then corporate would see the potential and things get funded.  That story fits the mold of GM car guys pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
that was fun to watch
Page / 3
Top Top