BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xd341:
GM has a long history of engineers and program managers that were genuine car guys. They dreamed up nutty shit that car guys would dream up, begged borrowed and stole the resources they needed and basically ran development like one of us would.  At least in the early stages, then corporate would see the potential and things get funded.  That story fits the mold of GM car guys pretty well.
View Quote

My favorite GM vehicle ever only existed because they could steal parts from other brands.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
Bad ass car and sounds awesome. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to go buy lottery tickets
View Quote

This right here^^^^ That thing can go!  Nothing on the track was even close. Going past those bikes like nothing. Do want!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

My favorite GM vehicle ever only existed because they could steal parts from other brands.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3414_jpeg-3204706.JPG
View Quote
The GNX was actually faster than the corvette of the era, violating GMs policy, same with the various COPO Camaros.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m totally lazy and assume he posted video with telemetry backing a sub 7 run?

Z06 is amazing but most of the sub 7 stuff has shit tons of downforce
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The GNX was actually faster than the corvette of the era, violating GMs policy, same with the various COPO Camaros.
View Quote

Yep. It’s average man supercar fighters that always got my blood pumping from GM. The COPO’s, Baldwin Motion’s, GNX, Turbo Trans Am, Syclone and Typhoon, CTS-V, Z28 and ZL1 Camaros, and with how hard the C8 Z06 punches it’d be dumb not to include it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks OP! Cool video
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
ZR1 is in the pipeline.

Rumor is that unless they reduce displacement, the 5.5L motor will be cross plane configuration to maintain reliability with added power from the twin turbos.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#8]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
ZR1 is in the pipeline.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/chevrolet-corvette-zr1-002-copy-65259f61eedc2.jpg

Rumor is that unless they reduce displacement, the 5.5L motor will be cross plane configuration to maintain reliability with added power from the twin turbos.
View Quote
I could see it having a cross plane but if it does it probably won't be the 5.5.  That motor is highly specialized to be an 8500 rpm flat plane.  I doubt they would just drop a cross plane crank in the same engine.  I'm not sure it would make it any more reliable anyway. Flat plane cranks are very strong.

My guess is it's the 5.5 flat plane with turbos.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#9]
I could see it having a cross plane but if it does it probably won't be the 5.5.  That motor is highly specialized to be an 8500 rpm flat plane.  I doubt they would just drop a cross plane crank in the same engine.  I'm not sure it would make it any more reliable anyway. Flat plane cranks are very strong.

View Quote

Hard to tell anything as they have extra mufflers on it because GM is yet again testing on open days. Guessing they do that so no one can benchmark it in a good car.

In any event there are a couple times he gets on it coming out of the corners and that thing looks like a sling shot. Most of the video is just data cruising and they don’t seem to be really going after it.
2025 Chevrolet C8 Corvette ZR1 Prototype Starts Testing At The Nürburgring With Stunning Sound
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I spent a weekend beating on a C8 Stingray. Awesome car. Z06 must be a missile.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#11]

View Quote

The issue with the flat plane is greater vibration magnitude, amplified by speed &/or load. Ferrari cut back the 488 TT motor to 3.7L to mitigate the problem.

Yamaha went with cross plane order in the R1 specifically to eliminate torque fluctuation from the previous 180° flat plane motor which smoothed its power delivery & helped mitigate traction loss specifically at lean angle. Different issue, but same underlying problem. With flat planes, the pistons effectively stop when they top & bottom out simultaneously, which sends a vibration pulse that travels down the drivetrain, & it rises exponentially with increased piston compression force &/or crank speed.

FP TT V8 is my ICE performance grail engine, so I hope it will happen & work reliably. Curtain is supposed to drop this summer, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FloridaMan11b:

Same lol..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FloridaMan11b:
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Damn, I was hoping this was going to be the legally blind gun reviewer and FFL, that would have been a hoot of a video.

Same lol..

I can imagine a Chappel Show skit already.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

The issue with the flat plane is greater vibration magnitude, amplified by speed &/or load. Ferrari cut back the 488 TT motor to 3.7L to mitigate the problem.

Yamaha went with cross plane order in the R1 specifically to eliminate torque fluctuation from the previous 180  flat plane motor which smoothed its power delivery & helped mitigate traction loss specifically at lean angle. Different issue, but same underlying problem. With flat planes, the pistons effectively stop when they top & bottom out simultaneously, which sends a vibration pulse that travels down the drivetrain, & it rises exponentially with increased piston compression force &/or crank speed.

FP TT V8 is my ICE performance grail engine, so I hope it will happen & work reliably. Curtain is supposed to drop this summer, so we'll see.
View Quote
Putting turbos on a flat plane doesn't change the mass of the rotating assembly and therefor the harmonics.  Harmonics are a problem with all flat planes. They seem to have it under control in the Z06.

GM, despite its reputation for being a low cost builder often does expensive things in engines to achieve a goal.  The 5.5L is the highest horsepower NA V8 put in a production car...ever.  

That clip sounds like a flat plane exhaling through turbos to me but who knows? You can do tricks with exhaust to make them sound however you want.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#14]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top