BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I kinda lost interest in season 2…
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent! I was super skeptical when the show was announced, but that guy knows how to entertain. Even my wife who had zero interest in the premise is hooked. But she also loves the OG Top Gear and Grand Tour.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
It seems the council doesn't like him.
View Quote

They want to remain their sleepy little town, even if it harms the local farmers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
Excellent! I was super skeptical when the show was announced, but that guy knows how to entertain. Even my wife who had zero interest in the premise is hooked. But she also loves the OG Top Gear and Grand Tour.
View Quote

There are definately some scripted bits, but there is also raw emotion too.  He's done a lot to show the plight of the farmers there who have to survive without Amazon and BBC money.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:24:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#6]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

No its supposed to be over after this season, because of his comments on Harry and Meghan.

Then his his wife came out recently and said next season was coming. Clarkson is a cash cow. Amazon would be insane to drop him, but you have to let time pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RustyKnifeUSMC:
Best news today. I was under the impression that the series was permanently over after the last season.

No its supposed to be over after this season, because of his comments on Harry and Meghan.

Then his his wife came out recently and said next season was coming. Clarkson is a cash cow. Amazon would be insane to drop him, but you have to let time pass.

Jezza already announced that there is another season.

eta:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0Q__PUNquj/
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:57:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BobP] [#7]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

Yes, why would you want to bring economic prosperity to the area and help the local businesses stay afloat.  Fuck those hard working poors.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobP:

Some don't like his celebrity, some didn't like him blowing up the house.
They really don't like the attention their little corner of the world receives with him there.

Yes, why would you want to bring economic prosperity to the area and help the local businesses stay afloat.  Fuck those hard working poors.

They are more concerned about sticking it to him than understanding how it could help the surrounding farmers. They should be closely working with him instead of fighting him. They could help all of the farmers in the area, instead they are getting demonized very publicly.

He's the modern version of they saying that you can't fight those who buy ink by the gallon.

The fact the council considers the shop an entertainment center is very telling what they think of him
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#8]
Jeremy: "I'm making you farm manager"

Caleb: "You're fired"

I don't think there's any other show that can at the same time make me laugh so hard and be so fucking pissed off.

ETA: I was a couple of hours from Diddly Squat a few weeks ago but they were closed
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

I don't think there's any other show that can at the same time make me laugh so hard and be so fucking pissed off.

ETA: I was a couple of hours from Diddly Squat a few weeks ago but they were closed
View Quote

The crew in the background laughing after Caleb described his plan to...whatever he said instead of analyze was good.

And it was very subtle, but Charlie's facial expresion as Jeremy described his jam cooking was hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jm0502:
I'm upset about pepper.
View Quote

Me too. I'm not looking forward to the 4th episode after reading these comments.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Is Clarkson the UK version of orange man bad?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I like his constantly telling the dogs to do something and them absolutely ignoring him.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobP] [#13]

I agree, I've pulled calves by hand. I had a cow give birth far from the barn. The calf's feet got stuck inside and it died, by the time we found her, mom wasn't going to make it either, blood everywhere and she couldn't stand. Out comes the old 30/30 from the tractor seat and that was that.

I meant we didn't get to name them when we were kids. By the age of 12 I understood why.

Thank God we never had a fire, but we did burn several dead animals because the vet said it might be a better idea than the backhoe. So yeah I know that smell well.
View All Quotes

Yep, never name your food. If you aren't used to butchering and dead animals, it can get difficult.

Some don't care, I really enjoyed Wilber's pork chops. But I grew up watching chickens being butchered and saw the rendering truck pick up dead cattle. One uncle worked at Wilson's meat packing and other at Hormel. I understood naming was for identification.  I wasn't naming a pet.

My dad also has a backhoe, so I buried a lot of dead animals for the farmers. There's nothing like burying over 100 piglets after a barn fire. Let them cure in the summer heat for a week while waiting for the insurance adjuster. You'll either swear off meat, or naming livestock becomes no big deal.

I agree, I've pulled calves by hand. I had a cow give birth far from the barn. The calf's feet got stuck inside and it died, by the time we found her, mom wasn't going to make it either, blood everywhere and she couldn't stand. Out comes the old 30/30 from the tractor seat and that was that.

I meant we didn't get to name them when we were kids. By the age of 12 I understood why.

Thank God we never had a fire, but we did burn several dead animals because the vet said it might be a better idea than the backhoe. So yeah I know that smell well.

I got familiar with dead animals at an early age, burying them for neighbors was part of my dad's business. Many a night we parked the backhoe downwind, well away from the house. It really wouldn't have been as bad but it usually took the insurance adjusters several days to approve disposal. I once buried a sow which had to weigh over 800 pounds. It was severely bloated and when it slid into the burial hole, it popped. That sound and smell is still with me.

The Clarkson's reaction to the piglet problem is understandable for the first year raising pigs. They are slowly learning to not get too attached, but it takes time. I don't think it's possible to be completely emotionally detached from the animals and be a good farmer.

Back to the show,
I wonder what it cost him for the loan and return of the blackberry picker?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]

I got familiar with dead animals at an early age, burying them for neighbors was part of my dad's business. Many a night we parked the backhoe downwind, well away from the house. It really wouldn't have been as bad but it usually took the insurance adjusters several days to approve disposal. I once buried a sow which had to weigh over 800 pounds. It was severely bloated and when it slid into the burial hole, it popped. That sound and smell is still with me.

The Clarkson's reaction to the piglet problem is understandable for the first year raising pigs. They are slowly learning to not get too attached, but it takes time. I don't think it's possible to be completely emotionally detached from the animals and be a good farmer.

Back to the show,
View All Quotes

Yep, never name your food. If you aren't used to butchering and dead animals, it can get difficult.

Some don't care, I really enjoyed Wilber's pork chops. But I grew up watching chickens being butchered and saw the rendering truck pick up dead cattle. One uncle worked at Wilson's meat packing and other at Hormel. I understood naming was for identification.  I wasn't naming a pet.

My dad also has a backhoe, so I buried a lot of dead animals for the farmers. There's nothing like burying over 100 piglets after a barn fire. Let them cure in the summer heat for a week while waiting for the insurance adjuster. You'll either swear off meat, or naming livestock becomes no big deal.

Back to the show,
They fucked up both the wall and the picker.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:

View All Quotes

Back to the show,

Yeah, it looked like a brand new picker, and now it has to go in for repairs. Repairing that fence looks extremely time consuming.
That was really expensive.

That tree was also a head scratcher. Why did he need to get it upright?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm 2 episodes in - always think I'll put in on in the background and do things but end up watching and (mostly) laughing. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
My parents, retired farmers, love this show, yesterday my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Hit me like a bag of bricks but he has a positive outlook so I will too. Fuck cancer.

eta: my dad turns 70 this year. I'm adopted but both my grandfathers had it and they lived into their 80's and 90's but you just never know with the big C.
View Quote

I hope your dad is able to beat it.

Prostate cancer got my grandfather, but he'd had it a few times and it just kept coming back.

It's generally a very beatable cancer as long as it's caught early enough.

Try not to let it get to you too much, but that's easier said than done. Whatever you do, don't treat your old man any different, he already thinks about it enough, so try and get him out to do things as much as possible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:45:30 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

We've had a homestead/farm for 20 years now, and I will fully admit that raising pigs was the hardest of all the animals we've raised to eat.

They all had such cool personalities, but they also kept me on my toes, if you go down in the pig pen, you're food.

I had to take my wife for a drive when the truck came to put them down and take them to the butcher shop, and after all that the butcher ruined all 4 pigs, then went out of business.

Cows didn't bother me, I did those myself, same with the chickens and ducks. I'd like to raise some buffalo, but we'd have to do all new fencing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I knew Amazon would cave, like you said he's just damn good at what he does.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#20]
It was okay.  Not quite as funny as the first season.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

View Quote

Those two really look like they're having fun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
I kinda lost interest in season 2…
View Quote

S3E1 is very boring. Not sure I can finish this season if I cannot get through the first episode.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
View Quote

The left have loved to hate a Jeremy for decades. But it’s not as fervent as TDS
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
Excellent.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

Jezza already announced that there is another season.

eta:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0Q__PUNquj/
View Quote

Great news, as I said someone back tracked
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Pretty close. For sure in that little hamlet. The higher ups despise him.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Back to the show,
View Quote

Been there done all that. I know that smell too.

As far as the blackberry picker.  8 to 10k is my guess.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Yeah, it looked like a brand new picker, and now it has to go in for repairs. Repairing that fence looks extremely time consuming.
That was really expensive.

That tree was also a head scratcher. Why did he need to get it upright?
View Quote

I figure they popped the tap root straightening it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh shit!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I have an idea..Bring him to TX!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:36:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagoth-Ur] [#31]

They are more concerned about sticking it to him than understanding how it could help the surrounding farmers. They should be closely working with him instead of fighting him. They could help all of the farmers in the area, instead they are getting demonized very publicly.

He's the modern version of they saying that you can't fight those who buy ink by the gallon.

The fact the council considers the shop an entertainment center is very telling what they think of him
View Quote

Can’t fight with people who buy ink by the gallon?
You also shouldn’t fight with people who buy ANFO buy the ton.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#32]
These shows fascinate me.  It seems like whenever he gets ahead, the council issues some edict, it rains too much, it rains too little, the tractor breaks, and so on.  I imagine some of this is scripted or arranged, but I suspect it is based in truth.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#34]
He should have just picked his blackberries by hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I don't even see HOW that was supposed to work. The tractor pulling it would not allow the bushes to go down the middle of the picker without getting run over
The picker itself needed to be self-powered and drivable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

And it would seem the feeling is mutual!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Some don't like his celebrity, some didn't like him blowing up the house.
They really don't like the attention their little corner of the world receives with him there.

They want nice looking play farms around their town so they can enjoy the view on their Sunday drives.

Working farms are annoying and dirty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Osprey61] [#38]

View Quote

Oh, it extends way beyond the Cotswolds. There's a large and very vocal segment of the UK population that hate the man with a real fervor. You should read the comments in the tabloids some time, there's been some real ugly stuff.

Despite a ton of charity work and the world's #1 television show, Jeremy has never been on the Honors List and probably never will be. He's savaged most of Britain's politicians, their policies, and the royal family enough to insure that.

Lots of the destruction and foolishness are just reality TV. There's zero real concern about cost and profit or loss on that farm. Prime needs content, and had no idea Clarkson's Farm would turn into a run-away hit that would actually impact the laws and regulations on farming in the UK. The people who dropped off that very expensive blackberry picker knew damn well he was going to run it down a stone hedgerow, and didn't give a damn. I'm sure they were standing there when he did it, and took it back to salvage what remained.

I think this season is awesome. It needed some gravitas to balance out the clown show. The BBC has always paid poverty wages. Clarkson said Prime's reps wrote a figure on a napkin at a lunch in L.A. for The Grand Tour that dropped his jaw. TGT was okay, and well received, but CF is a monster. He's making insane money, I just hope it doesn't fuck up Caleb's life. Jeremy came from money (his family owned Paddington Bear), Caleb and co. are just ordinary people caught up in a phenomenon that must be slightly bewildering to them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#39]
Originally Posted By memsu:
I can't believe the locals hate his restaurant.

He's using stuff from the farms all around helping them out. Seems like people would be ok with that.

I hope he finds a way to totally screw over the town government.
View Quote

The Cotswold isn't Kansas, even Iowa. It's a lot more like Napa. Tourism (look at the Michelin Guide) is as or maybe more important than ag.

It's an area with lot of well heeled land owners, actual working farms, and pretentious locals (some generational, often recent arrivals which you heard in the show - some big dollar celebs)  who bristle at the encroachment of monied outsiders. So you get a lot of weird tension, amongst competing interests, which results in things like this empowered by the special status the area was granted in the 60s, at all the

https://www.cotswold.gov.uk/communities-and-leisure/support-for-communities/community-right-to-bid/

Least  it's not become a National Park. . . Yet.

As Osprey mentions, Jeremy is a polarizing, and often inflammatory and quite intentionally confrontational, public figure.  But it's his schtick and the formula has served him well. Until it doesn't. Which then just becomes fodder for better story telling.

The great news is his income isn't dependent on any of the small output the farm goods bring in. The show itself and his continued notoriety is the real value - and the goal in any event.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I totally understand the locals fighting anything that changes their lives.  They chose to live as they did for a reason.  They are just fine being poor or hard working and don't welcome new prosperity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

The Cotswold isn't Kansas, even Iowa. It's a lot more like Napa. Tourism (look at the Michelin Guide) is as or maybe more important than ag.

It's an area with lot of well heeled land owners, actual working farms, and pretentious locals (some generational, often recent arrivals which you heard in the show - some big dollar celebs)  who bristle at the encroachment of monied outsiders. So you get a lot of weird tension, amongst competing interests, which results in things like this empowered by the special status the area was granted in the 60s, at all the

https://www.cotswold.gov.uk/communities-and-leisure/support-for-communities/community-right-to-bid/

As Osprey mentions, Jeremy is a polarizing, and often inflammatory and quite intentionally confrontational, public figure.  But it's his schtick and the formula has served him well. Until it doesn't. Which then just becomes fodder for better story telling.

The great news is his income isn't dependent on any of the small output the farm goods bring in. The show itself and his continued notoriety is the real value - and the goal in any event.  

View Quote

His income isn’t dependent on the farming, but it can’t just be a financial chest wound either.  He does seem to honestly care about the plight of the other local farmers that don’t have another income stream to hold them afloat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:
I totally understand the locals fighting anything that changes their lives.  They chose to live as they did for a reason.  They are just fine being poor or hard working and don't welcome new prosperity.
View Quote

The council certainly seems fine with other people being poor as long as it doesn’t effect them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Didn't Amazon cancel clackson last year for a mean tweet?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Asylum9:
Didn't Amazon cancel clackson last year for a mean tweet?
View Quote

This season was already in the can so they released it.  Then time, and money, healed the wounds and they are doing season four.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Episode 2 with the pig sex was some of the funniest tv I have seen in years.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Clarkson is a master showman.  He knows how to entertain.  He knows how to make what would normally be a boring show very entertaining.

The money the farm loses or makes is nothing compared to the money that Clarkson and Amazon are making out of this show.  He could give a shit if his blackberries make any money or not.

It is scripted and financed reality TV that is amusing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PCB66:
Clarkson is a master showman.  He knows how to entertain.  He knows how to make what would normally be a boring show very entertaining.

The money the farm loses or makes is nothing compared to the money that Clarkson and Amazon are making out of this show.  He could give a shit if his blackberries make any money or not.

View Quote

Get back to us on how they scripted episode four.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#48]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

His income isn't dependent on the farming, but it can't just be a financial chest wound either.  He does seem to honestly care about the plight of the other local farmers that don't have another income stream to hold them afloat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

His income isn't dependent on the farming, but it can't just be a financial chest wound either.  He does seem to honestly care about the plight of the other local farmers that don't have another income stream to hold them afloat.

He's become a likable, persistently disgruntled media  character and I do think sympathetic to local farmers. Within reason. Industrial scale farming is pretty rare in the UK , but increasing. Tho there's much resistance from all political stripes and corners to this. How welcome would a 750 breeding sow op be adjacent to Diddly Squat - and how do you think JC would respond. Not that it would be allowed within the confines of AONB borders. As noted in the show tho, the little tip up top is outside.

Jeremy moved to Teh Cotswolds to have a Country Gentry life, not farm per se. There's  much less restrictive locales if farming was mainly his interest, tho it is integral to the show. No farming no show. I've seen the tension that develops between lifetime townies, monied new arrivals, hobby ranchers, Amish, professional farmers, developers, and local, state and federal govt. It's no different there, except there's more Michelin starred restaurants in Teh Cotswolds than some (really most) multi-state regions in the US. There's a couple in Cheltenham proper itself. That should be a clue to how the area is actually operating. (Beehive is more my speed but I'm not a gastronome - it's still a bit fu-fu)

Attachment Attached File

NMP - but gives an idea

It's like poster child idyllic.

https://www.cotswolds.com/

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PCB66:

I don't think it's highly scripted, but there is a rough outline. It's obvious they have tasks for him to attempt and fail at. While he's a newer farmer, but he's been a businessman for years. How did he handle the farm with the prior farm manager, did he not control costs then?

The berry production is one example. It wouldn't make for great television if he planned everything out and didn't make repeated errors. He has done similar food production in the past, yet couldn't follow a simple recipe? He didn't know where the oven was?
The whole bit, about pulling up the tree and not having a clue what it cost, seems very scripted

This season he is showing improvement in several areas of farming, but some blunders are odd.
Not having the pen setup until the last moment reeked of typical reality TV crunch time/panic mode.

Some are 'normal'. The bit about the setting up of the pig huts and using two ends without doors is one I've seen personally. I've seen farmers put up a temporary fence without using a string several times, especially if it's only in use for a few weeks. The gate thing is funny, I've seen that exact thing because people will get an gate, but miscalculate the space needed for the hardware to hang it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey y’all, please set subtitles to English and post results.
Page / 4
Top Top