Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I was at the boys club in the early 80's, i was probably 11, in the wood shop. A kid behind me put his hand diagonally across the table saw blade. Blood went every where.

The docs re-attached it. He got full use back. It looked odd, but it worked. Old school docs save the day. I think the tendons on top of the hand were still intact.

The club changed the rules after that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BTccw:
I just dragged a table saw home.

Am I going to die?
View Quote

Only if you are a dumbass. A table saw is as safe as its operator.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
My grandfather chopped the tips of 3 fingers off in his cabinet shop on the table saw.  He threw the tips in a glass of ice and wrapped his fingers in duct tape and worked the couple of hours he had left of the day.  He took the finger tips home and had my grandmother sew them back on.  Needless to say it didn't work.  People who lived through the depression were a different breed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:24:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#4]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
Hobart mixer. The bigger brother commercial version of KitchenAid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KingRat:
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
What is this amazing thing
Hobart mixer. The bigger brother commercial version of KitchenAid.
and if you are stupid, they can kill you AND serve you up for dinner.  We'll, the big ones can, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:
If you cut one off with a miter saw they can put it back on https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493363/IMG_3488_jpeg-3204078.JPG
View Quote

A customer of mine had a similar accident. We were discussing media room options in his home when he accidentally caught the hook on the end of the 'pin' coming out of the end of his finger on a chair back. He looked like he was going to pass out. It took him about 10 minutes before he could continue. He wound up buying a nice media room setup from me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I investigate work related accidents and fatalities for big insurance companies

SAWSTOP

mic_drop...BOOM

"but it costs sooo much"

If it saves just one trip to the ER, it's paid for itself
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Power tools will bite you if you are inattentive. I can't see the video but may dad had a serious run-in with a table saw and had to have surgery to repair several fingers. A good friend had to have the tendons and nerves repaired in his left hand because he got careless with a chop saw. Buffers can be very dangerous also. I had to have a tendon and nerves repaired on my right thumb because the buffer grabbed the headlight rings I was polishing.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By racerpk11:

It's about to happen for new saws.  Won't be long.  The only good news is that most of the SawStop patents have expired, and the "important" patent - I think the 840 patent - would be released to the public if the final rule is adopted per the SawStop folks.  That patent is what has stopped many competitors from making something similar in the last 20years.  Poor Bosch tried but lost in patent infringement lawsuits.  

I've got CPSC issues after the furniture tip-over rulings from last year - not a fan of that group.  I'm a furniture manufacturer and probably need 4 new table saws soon, hopefully they can last long enough to get something that isn't SawStop but has the same technology.  Luckily after 23 years we've only had a few small accidents but would still be good to have that reduced risk.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
No dumbass. Capitalism is when you make a better product and everybody buys it because they want it.

The faggot that owns the saw stop patent went to congress to try and make it mandatory that every table saw manufacturer would be required to buy his product in order to sell saws in the USA.  And it still might happen, which is bullshit.

It's about to happen for new saws.  Won't be long.  The only good news is that most of the SawStop patents have expired, and the "important" patent - I think the 840 patent - would be released to the public if the final rule is adopted per the SawStop folks.  That patent is what has stopped many competitors from making something similar in the last 20years.  Poor Bosch tried but lost in patent infringement lawsuits.  

I've got CPSC issues after the furniture tip-over rulings from last year - not a fan of that group.  I'm a furniture manufacturer and probably need 4 new table saws soon, hopefully they can last long enough to get something that isn't SawStop but has the same technology.  Luckily after 23 years we've only had a few small accidents but would still be good to have that reduced risk.

Because of the forthcoming ruling I'll bet you'll see insurance companies forcing manufacturers to change their saws out including panel saws. I didn't realize several panel saws already have similar technology, had a sales rep come through shortly after the CPSC hearing and we talked about this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Getting a body part twisted up in a lathe is actually a bit more frightening then getting something cut off with a saw, to me at least.

That big 3 phase motor gives zero fucks that your arm is now part of the rotating mass.

eta:
I use this regularly now, and it is unforgiving. Zero safety stops, full torque all the time. Anything that goes in is
getting turned to mush. if your hand got caught in the dough hook ... oh fuck that would be bad.

https://i.postimg.cc/Cx5bjk5X/0.jpg
View Quote

I worked at DQ as a young lad.  Getting hair in a blizzard mixer that doesn't have the guard on it was our primary danger.  Sometimes we use a towel to wipe down the spindle while running and it would get ripped out of the dumb kids hands. Plenty of videos of hair in mixing machines.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Getting a body part twisted up in a lathe is actually a bit more frightening then getting something cut off with a saw, to me at least.

That big 3 phase motor gives zero fucks that your arm is now part of the rotating mass.

eta:
I use this regularly now, and it is unforgiving. Zero safety stops, full torque all the time. Anything that goes in is
getting turned to mush. if your hand got caught in the dough hook ... oh fuck that would be bad.

View Quote

I participated in a death investigation tied to a dough mixer.

The Navy dough mixer is the next size or two up from this one. The bowl was about 20 gallons I would guess and the electric motor was a good low torque nearly a horse power. There were two safety switches that needed to be pressed to get the dough hooks doing their thing so the kid jammed a broom handle on one of the buttons to free the other one to fold the dough. The hooks caught on part of the guys shirt and tore his chest open very slowly exposing bone and flesh.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]
9th grade shop class we got to see David Eaton get his hair caught in the drill press

Another kid saw it happen next to him and grabbed David by the shoulders and ripped him free before it got to bone

David got out of the hospital a few days later. He was the ONLY kid at BA Intermediate High who got to wear a baseball cap in class all day and didn't even have to take it off for the Pledge of Allegiance each morning for the rest of the year
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I worked briefly in a garment manufacturing plant as a graphic designer.
They used computer controlled water jets to cut thick stacks of fabric.
The guy running it on night shift cut off part of a finger 2 times on 2 separate occasions...
the kicker was you are not supposed to have body parts any wear near the cutter when it was running...

A chick I worked with had a brother who had a foot slip and go under a mower and lose a toe... twice.... (one on each foot)

Local place that makes wood pellets out of sawdust. Guy working there was on top of grinder kicking in chunks slipped and got a mangled foot 2 different times...

People are unlucky and stupid....

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
She should use that saw to trim those ears.  But they probably make for good hand holds. Kinda like pistol grips.
View Quote

"Like a taxicab driving down the road with the doors open" Grandad used to say, now I see what he meant.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVqa7j6jG0Q
View Quote

Bitch knew it was against the law for women to read...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#15]
My dad worked in big wood shops for most of his life.

He says the jointer is what scared him the most. It was the cause of most injuries and he saw a few of them. You won't be sewing anything back on after the jointer is done with it.

Bandsaw was second.

Tablesaw, he couldn't recall anyone being hurt from one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By simplemitch:

Fuck Sawstop with a sideways cactus.
Those slimy commie fucks tried to lobby to make that shit a REQUIREMENT on ALL saws.
If you feel you need/want that feature, fine, go buy one, but don’t try to force your shit on everybody with unnecessary legal burden and increased cost particularly just to give yourself the market advantage.

I’d bet $50 that hotdog went straight in their asses after filming that.
View Quote

I owned a sawstop back when I was doing some work on my house.  It was my choice to buy it...I hate when people force shit on me.  Once I was done with my big project, I sold it, and bought a cheaper contractor saw to keep that meets my needs.  THAT SAID:

The days of saws without these safety features are numbered.  It's not going to be the government that mandates it, it will be insurance companies.  And you won't be able to insure a woodworking business without it.  

Sure - hobbists will still be able to use these until it just doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to keep making them.  But by then the majority of the manufactuerers who make those types of saws will have either gone out of business or discontinued those models.  

AND FWIW - there is other saw blade stopping technology in europe other than sawstop.  They don't hold the only patents.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
No dumbass. Capitalism is when you make a better product and everybody buys it because they want it.

The faggot that owns the saw stop patent went to congress to try and make it mandatory that every table saw manufacturer would be required to buy his product in order to sell saws in the USA.  And it still might happen, which is bullshit.

It's great tech and people should have the option to buy it if they so choose.  People should also have the option to pay 25% less and opt out of a safety feature that can be 99% mitigated with proper technique and paying attention to what you're doing.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
They would do a lot better if they started making retrofit kits for other saws.  I'd buy one for my Unisaw, but I can't justify spending $4K on a saw to replace the saw that I already have and works great.
View Quote

Yeah, my Unisaw is awesome, I have a hard time justifying the upgrade for a hobby saw.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#19]
Got dispatched to a call for "guy has a cut on his hand, won't stop bleeding". That's all the details we got.

Roll up, I hop out and walk to the open garage door. It looked like a f'in murder scene in there. Table saw in the middle of the garage, covered in blood. Dude is sitting on a stool with a bloody rag wrapped around his hand clutched to his chest.

I tell him I gotta take a look and see what's going on. Peel back the rag, "OH HOLY SHIT". Dude amputated half his hand.
Attachment Attached File

As I'm wrapping the wound and trying to control the bleeding, I'm like "brother, I know you're a tough SOB, but fuck dude, when you call 911, tell them the extent of whats going on, this is not a "cut on your hand", you cut your f'in hand off"

We found the rest of the hand on the floor by the table saw. Ziplocked, taped to his chest, and off you go to the ER.

They reattached it I heard. Dunno if it works, but they reattached it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I had the "steel kiss" from a table saw blade on two fingers of my one hand years ago, when remodeling my kitchen. I left the blood splatters on my garage floor as a reminder to be more careful in the future.

Happens to the best of us.

My one former boss used to say that you needed to get rid of any tool that had "tasted blood" because they then developed a thirst for it. I still have the saw though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
As much as I'd like a SawStop, I have a DeWalt jobsite table saw and I treat it with respect.  There's a mentality you have to have, to treat each cut as if this is the one something is going to happen.  I've started many tricky cuts that felt unsafe for some reason, and stopped and figured out a better way to do it.  Push sticks/blocks are my best friends.  I expect a kickback each time, so I stand off to the side (it's only happened once, on a very thin sliver that was cut off, and it went right by me).

It's not that I want a SawStop particularly for the safety feature, but I'd take any cabinet grade table saw for the accuracy.  There are other good brands out there, SawStop is not the only one, or even the best one.

I don't like the coming mandate because protecting us from table saw injuries is not the government's job.  But the government doesn't do their job anymore, they are too busy figuring out ways to control every aspect of our lives.  The extra cost of the saws is just going to be passed to customers, in a time when everything is already becoming more expensive daily.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#22]
I remember the day my father ran back into the house holding his hand and yelling for help. He got himself really good on the table saw, but didn't lose his finger. Years later when I started getting into hobby woodworking, I threw that old Craftsman table saw to the curb. It just brings back that horrific memory.

I use the Grr-ripper 3D Pushblock for anything on the table saw and I'm still very careful.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#23]
I worked in a pallet factory just out of high school. Oh the stories. I pierced a guy's ear with a nail gun from six feet away.

I used to ROUTINELY fall asleep running the radial arm saw. Undiagnosed Narcolepsy is a real bitch. I still have all my fingers, at least at this time. I still stop and count 'em from time to time, just to make sure I'm not dreaming that I still have them all.

I watched a guy get pierced by a kick back from a gang saw cutting lath. Those knots would go through and the moisture would turn to steam and BOOM.

Adam Allen stopped a table saw blade with his finger in High School while it was spinning down. Inertia is a bitch, too.

And those of you talking about band saws...I worked with a guy at UMKC that managed to cut a goodly portion into his thumb with a band saw, and he was a grown-ass man that serviced CNC equipment for a living. He was just being an idiot, and he well practiced at that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#24]
That sucks.  Easy to do.  Easier than most realize.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#25]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
I'm eternally grateful for my 7th grade woodshop teacher for drilling power tool safety into me.

OTOH his assessment of the danger of a vertical bandsaw was a bit exaggerated.  I got out of that class thinking that it was called a "banned saw" because only the advanced 9th graders were allowed to use it.
View Quote
I bought a shaper and a 16" radial arm saw from a school auction because they were considered too scary to use in shop class.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

Oh no! A business wants to sell their product! Capitalism = Communism!!!  I hate profits!!!  America!!

Are you this angry over airbags and antilock brakes?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By watgar:
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-29-2015/y2JHH3.gif

Yup, sawstop ftw

Been working in a cabinet shop for 10 years, and still got all my fingers...

*Knocks on wood*

Those slimy commie fucks tried to lobby to make that shit a REQUIREMENT on ALL saws.
If you feel you need/want that feature, fine, go buy one, but don’t try to force your shit on everybody with unnecessary legal burden and increased cost particularly just to give yourself the market advantage.

Oh no! A business wants to sell their product! Capitalism = Communism!!!  I hate profits!!!  America!!

Making legislation forcing people by law to buy your product isn't capitalism.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I wasn’t thrilled about that either. I did a little woodwork years ago when they came out. So the shop bought one. It wasn’t as strong torque wise as our old one. And got set off more than once accidentally. Like trimming a piece that had a pin nail in it. If a finger happens to touch the pin nail as the blade clips it, boom, the saw goes off.
They are a good idea and have saved fingers for sure. And for school woodworking, a very good thing to have. But an industrial shop needs to have the option.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#29]
The poor girl is going to have to buy a car now because she can only hitch hike in one direction.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Kickback and lack of focus is what gets most people in trouble, a piece of wood flying back at you at 100 miles an hour can really do a lot of damage. When a tablesaw kicks a piece of wood back, it can also drag your hand across the blade faster than you realize. 20 years ago I was given a craftsman tablesaw with no guards or riving knife, after a couple of kickbacks I realized there was a problem. after quite a bit of reading and talking to a few experience cabinetmakers  I had come to the conclusion that keeping your blade aligned properly and your fence aligned properly will mitigate kickbacks and of course using push sticks will keep your hands away from the blade. Proper machine maintenance and set up, proper techniques, and proper focus will prevent most accidents, but nothing is 100%.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#31]
fuckin TL:DR?

I am not listening to B list drew berrymore ramble for an hour
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By midcap:
fuckin TL:DR?

I am not listening to B list drew berrymore ramble for an hour
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I can relate to this
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I knew a guy what was a carpenter for 50+ years. As a favor on one Saturday morning he was helping a friend trim a condo lobby and chopped his right thumb off with his table saw.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SRM:
I can relate to this
View Quote

Appropriate avatar
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By midmo:

LOL my shop teacher must have moved to your AO or something.  Same emphasis on safety (well, and also hand sanding ), same distrust of band saws.  Took me years as a 'serious hobbyist' woodworker to confront the beast head on, and came away with digits intact.  Now mine's got a 1.5hp motor upgrade, 3/4" blade and a riser block so I can resaw 12" stuff.

That's not to say the thing won't lop off a finger or two before you even know they're gone, though.  Push stick is mandatory.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midmo:
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
I'm eternally grateful for my 7th grade woodshop teacher for drilling power tool safety into me.

OTOH his assessment of the danger of a vertical bandsaw was a bit exaggerated.  I got out of that class thinking that it was called a "banned saw" because only the advanced 9th graders were allowed to use it.

LOL my shop teacher must have moved to your AO or something.  Same emphasis on safety (well, and also hand sanding ), same distrust of band saws.  Took me years as a 'serious hobbyist' woodworker to confront the beast head on, and came away with digits intact.  Now mine's got a 1.5hp motor upgrade, 3/4" blade and a riser block so I can resaw 12" stuff.

That's not to say the thing won't lop off a finger or two before you even know they're gone, though.  Push stick is mandatory.
I have a couple push sticks for my table saw (Jet 10: 1 3/4 hp) but I like this the best:

Well worth the $40-$50 it costs to the full upgrade version.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:
Originally Posted By watgar:
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-29-2015/y2JHH3.gif

Yup, sawstop ftw

Been working in a cabinet shop for 10 years, and still got all my fingers...

*Knocks on wood*

If you feel you need/want that feature, fine, go buy one, but don't try to force your shit on everybody with unnecessary legal burden and increased cost particularly just to give yourself the market advantage.

I'd bet $50 that hotdog went straight in their asses after filming that.

No shit.  Talk about missing the point.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Am I going to die?
View Quote
No, but there's a good chance of losing a finger or five.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I was using a skill saw to rip some wood when it kicked back on me, the saw crawled up my arm putting indentations in my shirt, but never drew blood.   I had to sit down for a few minutes when that happened,
View Quote

I had one kick and catch the leg of my shorts one day, scared the crap out of me. That was the last day we used pinned guards on our jobsites
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#40]
Originally Posted By Paul:

I participated in a death investigation tied to a dough mixer.

The Navy dough mixer is the next size or two up from this one. The bowl was about 20 gallons I would guess and the electric motor was a good low torque nearly a horse power. There were two safety switches that needed to be pressed to get the dough hooks doing their thing so the kid jammed a broom handle on one of the buttons to free the other one to fold the dough. The hooks caught on part of the guys shirt and tore his chest open very slowly exposing bone and flesh.

View Quote
That is horrifying.

New ones have e-stop buttons and safety guards, but I'm willing to bet most people take them off for "convenience".

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SRM:
I can relate to this
View Quote
Story time!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#42]
The two pieces of equipment I take a great deal of care with are tractor PTO's and table saws.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a wood shop teacher in hs that lost 2 finger teaching on the table saw.

When my grade got to him there was this kid (who unsurprisingly got busted for trying to rob rite aid of pills) who would go up to said teacher and say “give me three Craig”. Instead of give me 5.   Kid was a dick but it was funny at the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#44]

eta:

View Quote

My neighbor has a jar on a shelf in his shop which contains a big ball of hair that was his beard a few years back. Bent over a little too close to his metal lathe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Am I going to die?
View Quote

Naw, just a few sacrificial body parts….
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I was a pro cabinet maker for 15 years, and still have all my fingers. The safety measures I taught myself, didn't really learn them in high school shop class, nor the shops I worked at. I did get told by a couple wood vets to assume that any tool is actively looking to hurt you. That was good advice.

Keep in mind the path of tooling, and think about how it could possibly go wrong.
I have some pretty solid safety techniques deeply engrained, but the thing that I always keep in mind is to not get complacent.

Knowing you know stuff isn't the same as actively keeping your soft bits out of the way of cutting tools.

Oh, and keep a well stocked first aid kit close at hand. It has a tourniquet in it, correct?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#47]
To this day, table saws scare the shit out of me. I still use mine but fuck o hate when I do
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EDDIECRUM] [#48]
I had a stroke in 2019 and I had a great wood working shop. Six months later I found out I had a brain tumor and it was removed in a 10 hour surgery.

It took me about a year to recover but I was still having some mild vertigo. I decided I wanted to get back to wood working and decided to make some

small  seats for my grandkids that would convert into a set of steps to brush their teeth. I was pushing some white oak through my bandsaw and the

vertigo hit me and I started falling into saw. I turned off the power and looked at my hands. I said God gave me 10 talented fingers and brains enough

to know I wanted to die with 10 fingers. Sold all of my equipment and have all of my fingers.  

Attachment Attached File

Had enough oak cut to make a couple of benches and that was the end of my wood working.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Don’t forget about the SafTHammer folks, who ended up buying S&W.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Do you remember the vitriol over airbags?

Here’s a quote from Road and Track in the mid 80s:

“I will not own or operate a motor vehicle with several pounds of fused explosives ready to go off in my face”

Page / 3
Top Top