Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 12:24:32 AM EDT
Friend gave me quite a bit of what he is saying is Commercial #5 Powder.

I’d like to load it for some light 45auto with 230 grain slugs.

It’s not marked so I am a little worried especially since I’m not seeing much load data.

I was thinking of starting at 3.0 grains of this stuff and working my way up.

I can’t imagine any powder exploding my pistol with just 3 grains?  I’m thinking worst case would be lodged bullet in barrel but better than over charge?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#1]
A quick google search shows it was briefly sold by American Reloading about 10 years ago. You could call them and ask for data. I don't see any actual data listed in my quick 2 minute search, but I found a forum where a guy had a 45 acp, 230gr TMJ-RN, 5gr Commercial #5, 1.25" OAL, and looked to be getting about 850 fps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
A quick google search shows it was briefly sold by American Reloading about 10 years ago. You could call them and ask for data. I don't see any actual data listed in my quick 2 minute search, but I found a forum where a guy had a 45 acp, 230gr TMJ-RN, 5gr Commercial #5, 1.25" OAL, and looked to be getting about 850 fps.
View Quote

Ok thanks that’s a good idea.

As far as safety issues I should be ok with such a light load right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Glock4140:

Ok thanks that’s a good idea.

As far as safety issues I should be ok with such a light load right?
View Quote

Driving a 230 grain bullet @ 850 fps in .45acp is not a light load!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Driving a 230 grain bullet @ 850 fps in .45acp is not a light load!
View Quote

I meant 3.1 grains of this #5 powder?  Just thinking 3.1 of anything shouldn’t be dangerous right?  

Then work up from there?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn’t think 3.1 grains of anything would be dangerous right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn’t think 3.1 grains of anything would be dangerous right?
View Quote

I just checked all the likely suspects on Hodgdon's site and the lowest start load for a 230 was 3.5 grains, Clays

So, it would appear that 3.1 should be safe, SHOULD be
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I just checked all the likely suspects on Hodgdon's site and the lowest start load for a 230 was 3.5 grains, Clays

So, it would appear that 3.1 should be safe, SHOULD be
View Quote

Thanks.  It’s sooo light for 45 I couldn’t imagine anything would blow up my gun
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m fully expecting a lodged bullet which is fine better than the alternative
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I doubt it's going to stick a bullet unless it doesn't ignite at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m alive

3.1 grains of powder, 200 grain SWC turned out to be a very accurate round.  Cycled my rock island 3.5”

Also tried 3.5 grains and 3.8 behind a 230 grain slug.

Both light shooting rounds.  Not sure if it would cycle a full size 1911 slide but I’ll try that next trip.

I’m thinking I’ll go with 3.5 grains with 230 grain slug next time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#11]
I've loaded AA#5 at 7.0gr with 230 LRN. Max charge on Hornady 4 ed. Min charge is 6.0gr.

The stuff you have must be a faster burning than AA#5...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
I've loaded AA#5 at 7.0gr with 230 LRN. Max charge on Hornady 4 ed. Min charge is 6.0gr.

The stuff you have must be a faster burning than AA#5...
View Quote

because I was only using 3 grains and the pistol cycled?

Do you think it will cycle in a full size 1911?  Or am I over thinking?  Maybe the spring on the compact is heavier to make up for slide weight?

Maybe I’ll crank out a few more reloads and test again.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#14]
You really need a chronograph
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I have reloading data for 230g 45 acp using Maxxim CSB #5. I am pretty sure commercial #5 and CSB #5 are the same powder as I've heard my CSB #5 referred to as Commercial #5 by many reloaders.

I can share my data but you would need to confirm the powder is the same before using it.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
You really need a chronograph
View Quote

Honestly I don't know how a person can do without one.  It doesn't have to be state of the art, I use a $100 Beta Chrony
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:46:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#17]
because I was only using 3 grains and the pistol cycled?

Do you think it will cycle in a full size 1911?  Or am I over thinking?  Maybe the spring on the compact is heavier to make up for slide weight?

Maybe I’ll crank out a few more reloads and test again.
View Quote

I would chronograph the load as mentioned. Otherwise your left guessing.

If it were me:
- Try to find load data for that specific powder.

- If not, load a ladder up to 6gr in 0.5gr increments. Not sure if you want hot loads. If not, don't even try to go there. If it works with 3 gr and you like the way it shoots, stick with a load that's comfortable for you too shoot.

There's a thing called the 45 flinch. Lighter loads will help you avoid that. If your gun cycles that's all that really matters until you want to shoot further distances and need to aim high for your rounds to drop into the bullseye.

I used to watch my reloads drop when shooting a gov 45 at a 2" pipe 50 yds down range. Elevation was off, but windage was good.

- Compare recoil to off the shelf ammo. Should be able to feel if the difference and judge for yourself how much hotter the factory loads are compared to the reload. I did that for years before investing in a chrono.

I'd expect a compact should handle full charge weight loads. Yes the spring weight makes up the difference for the slide weight variation. You can also change spring weights, but that's off   your topic...

ETA: Just reread your first post that you want to load light, so you might just as well stick with a load that you've already proven works in your pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top