Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/13/2024 2:53:01 PM EDT
Having a tough time deciding between these two.  For my 11.5" 5.56 AR
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:06:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#1]
I really like my Explorr 224 and the 300.  But why aren't you comparing the Ferox to the Recce 5K?  I think that's a more apples to apples comparison (I own both, but haven't shot the Ferox yet).
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Both are quality cans.  I personally choose GA due to success with other cans of theirs I own and dealing with the brand.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blacktoothgrin] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
 But why aren't you comparing the Ferox to the Recce 5K?  I think that's a more apples to apples comparison
View Quote

How so?  IIRC the reece was kind of heavy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no experience with the Ferox, but the taper-mounted Explorr 224 is my favorite centerfire can of the 10ish that I have.  The flash performance is excellent, it sounds 95%+ as good as my Recce 5 mod 4, you can get taper mounts for basically everything, and it weighs LESS THAN TEN FLIPPING OUNCES.  If the Ferox manages to outperform it (would need to hear to believe), great, but the Explorr sets an awfully high bar.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Folks seem to really like the Explorr, and I'm leaning that way, if I can ever find one in stock.

When you say taper mount, you're not talking about the HUB version right?  Those are two different models?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:52:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

How so?  IIRC the reece was kind of heavy.
View Quote
I'm not recommending either. Just saying they are both worth looking at.  I own both and am glad to have them, but that said, if I could only keep one 5.56 can, it would be my Explorer.  It's about the same size as these, but considerably lighter and durable enough for anything I need a can for.

Ferox:

Weight 12.5oz
Length 5.9"
Width 1.63"

Recce 5K:

Weight 13.7oz
Length 5.8"
Width 1.5"

https://energeticarms.com/ferox-556mm-silencer/

https://www.griffinarmament.com/recce-5k-suppressor/

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#7]
Folks seem to really like the Explorr, and I'm leaning that way, if I can ever find one in stock.

When you say taper mount, you're not talking about the HUB version right?  Those are two different models?
View Quote
Yes. There is a Hub version Explorr (though it comes with a Plan A adapter) and one with an integrated Plan A taper mount. The one with the built in mount is much lighter at 9 oz. I got my Hub version down to 10.5 oz with an Ecco Ti Plan A adapter. Both versions come with a Plan A EZ Brake as well (as does the Recce 5K).

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The Recce 5K is definitely lower backpressure than a standard suppressor, but not a true flow-through. I’m very interested in the Ferox, hoping I’ll get to review one later this year!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got an Explorr utility mount pending and my next purchase will be a Ferox.

So in true arfcom fashion, get both.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Lotta love for the Explorr
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Lotta love for the Explorr
View Quote

It's a great can. Light weight. Sounds good. Low back pressure. Good warranty from a mature company that should be around a long while.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kedminster:
Both great cans but I am a little (unfairly?) biased towards the Ferox! That being said I am glad to answer any questions you might have and appreciate you considering us for your next purchase.

Karl Edminster
Not-necessarily-neutral-opinion-guy
Energetic Armament
View Quote

Thanks for participating in discussions.

Do you have any pictures or video of the Ferox being shot in low light that demonstrates the muzzle flash?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kedminster:
Both great cans but I am a little (unfairly?) biased towards the Ferox! That being said I am glad to answer any questions you might have and appreciate you considering us for your next purchase.

Karl Edminster
Not-necessarily-neutral-opinion-guy
Energetic Armament
View Quote

Thanks for answering my PM.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Top Top