Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 1:10:20 PM EDT
I just got one of these yesterday, and so far I can tell it is definitely going to save me a lot of time and aggravation vs hand tricking when I'm trying to load a quantity of extruded powder rifle rounds.
My only gripe so far:

If I set it to say, 40gr, and let it roll, when it gets to the very end, it seems like it is still stepping the tube a little too frequently, and therefore it doesn't have much time to "settle" between steps.  What seems to be happening is it will register 40gr based on the momentum of the powder falling, then register done, and then immediately click back to 39.9 once the scale has truly settled.  Rechecking the weight after that will often come up to 39.9.

Messing with the timing settings, I can get it to slow down the fast part of the trickle sooner, but that doesn't really help at all; just makes it take longer overall.  What I was hoping one of the settings would do is space out the last 2-3 motor steps significantly further apart so it would have time to settle more right at the end and hopefully land on the exact right number more often... is there a trick to doing that which I'm missing?

Overall it is still within .1 which is the advertised accuracy of the unit so I guess I can't really complain per se.  I guess hand trickling the last .1 is also an option and would still be 95% better than what I was doing before.
What do other users of this unit think?

*Yes I know the "real solution" is likely to buy the $2k top end model; that isn't happening right now though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at page 7 of the user manual.  There is a section entitled "Trickle Speed" and "Adjusting Trickle Start Time" that will help.  Also make sure that the "Speed" (press the [Speed] button) is set to "Slow".  These two things pretty much eliminated that problem for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess hand trickling the last .1
View Quote

1/10th is not worth the effort.  If I can drop any powder within 1/10th I call it good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCNick] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SACraig:
Look at page 7 of the user manual.  There is a section entitled "Trickle Speed" and "Adjusting Trickle Start Time" that will help.  Also make sure that the "Speed" (press the [Speed] button) is set to "Slow".  These two things pretty much eliminated that problem for me.
View Quote

Not sure how I blew past this part of the manual, but this definitely seems like an improvement (got to hold "enter" and "8" to toggle that on this model so not blatantly obvious)... I just ran 25 charges and only one looked to come out a tick under.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely give a good try soon incase you want to return it. I hope it's a lot better than the old one. The old auto charge could be outrun by a 3 legged turtle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I'm 100% keeping it.  Even if it's off .1 occasionally, it is going to get a workout every time I'm working up a new powder or using stick powders in general.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top