BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 7:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I for one weigh every charge I throw. It takes longer but is worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texcl] [#3]
I use ball powder if I can, it meters better. If I can’t do that I use short cut powder. My wife bought me a Lyman brass smith meter and man, it meters cfe223 and CFE blk perfectly for me. Benchmark is pretty good too but the CFE powders I hardly weigh anymore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OP.

I'll add that I like to throw 10 charges for small calibers, and 5 for larger (like -06 and 308), and average that weight.

Seems to help keep me from chasing my tail so much.

After setting the measure, I'll throw 3x10 charges confirming each one.

After every 50 (tray full), I check the measure. Literally the one time I didn't do it, I had to pour 100 shells because the final check was way off. That was rather annoying, but God only knows how much ended up in those cases when I weighed 10 charges and the beam pegged out.

Also, heeding your advice, I have started charging my cases by the tray, and visually verifying each one. On the 45s, I will deliberately throw a double *and keep it in my hand until dumped* as a visual reference. Anything that looks off gets dumped and rethrown. I usually have two or 3 trays on the bench, and check each one as they get charged. Before anyone gets a bullet, they all get checked again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
View Quote

That is suboptimal with a progressive press.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent thread! Thank you
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
Thanks OP.

I'll add that I like to throw 10 charges for small calibers, and 5 for larger (like -06 and 308), and average that weight.

Seems to help keep me from chasing my tail so much.

After setting the measure, I'll throw 3x10 charges confirming each one.

After every 50 (tray full), I check the measure. Literally the one time I didn't do it, I had to pour 100 shells because the final check was way off. That was rather annoying, but God only knows how much ended up in those cases when I weighed 10 charges and the beam pegged out.

Also, heeding your advice, I have started charging my cases by the tray, and visually verifying each one. On the 45s, I will deliberately throw a double *and keep it in my hand until dumped* as a visual reference. Anything that looks off gets dumped and rethrown. I usually have two or 3 trays on the bench, and check each one as they get charged. Before anyone gets a bullet, they all get checked again.
View Quote

Good technique.

I will throw ten (small) powder charges and weigh them.   This will magnify 10x in theory the unmeasurable amount after the first digit to the right of the decimal.  Lets you tweak just a hair more to get your average on target.  Probably has little effect on paper but makes me feel good.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Ugh.......

I own a Harrell's powder measure and a Redding BR-30 and try to be as consistent as possible when throwing charges. I develop loads that allow for variation in throw weight without harming accuracy on target. For 600 yards and further tournament ammo I will weigh charges, but anything shorter than that I consider a waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a powder baffle in my RCBS Uniflow, and I use it for ball and flake powders.  For extruded powders, I have found the very inexpensive Lee Perfect Powder Measure does an excellent job (don't let it's "cheap" feel fool you!).

I also use a consistent movement of the charging mechanism and determine the average of 5 to 10 charges to determine the throw weight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I also use a powder baffle in my Uniflow

Once I fill it with powder, I’ll throw and weigh 5-10 charges til I’m satisfied it’s dumping consistent charges.  After that, I’ll check weight on the scale after every 15-20 charges thrown just to make sure nothing is off

Consistency with how I handle the measure was key.

For example when I throw a charge, I’ll make sure the handle stops with a solid *clack* at the bottom and then I’ll wait about a half second pause, then smoothly lift and make sure it seats with a  *clack* again at the top so the powder drops back in the cylinder.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I use your same technique Dryflash....
Fill hopper 2/3 to 3/4 full...
Firm taps/smacks on the side of the hopper to get it it settle.... eyeball it when it stops moving
Dump 5 or so charges into a pan and dump pan back into hopper
Start doing charge tuning
Once set, I verify with 3 or 4 weighed charges... it if checks out, I start filling cases!

If I am doing load workups, I'll weigh each charge.

-ZA
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the baffle and consistent lever throw. My bulk 300 ham’r loads which I weight every 10th or 20th load shoot sub moa so must not be too much of a variance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:03:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eight_Ring] [#15]
Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Do you have any thoughts about vibration to assist in the optimal settling of powder in a hopper?

I have started to use an $8.00 aquarium aerator taped to the outside of my RCBS and Dillon hopper--mostly when using stick powders like IMR 4895 or IMR 4064.  LINK...

I let it run for five minutes or so before I begin dropping powder.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:

Do you have any thoughts about vibration to assist in the optimal settling of powder in a hopper?

I have started to use an $8.00 aquarium aerator taped to the outside of my RCBS and Dillon hopper--mostly when using stick powders like IMR 4895 or IMR 4064.  LINK...

Thoughts?
View Quote

I got a buddy that recommended that very thing when I told him I began loading Unique.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Ugh.......

I own a Harrell's powder measure and a Redding BR-30 and try to be as consistent as possible when throwing charges. I develop loads that allow for variation in throw weight without harming accuracy on target. For 600 yards and further tournament ammo I will weigh charges, but anything shorter than that I consider a waste of time.
View Quote

Does your BR30 have a baffle in it? I bought one used and it didn't come with a baffle and I wondered if it was a necessity.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:

Thoughts?
View Quote

Old kids toys have yeilded lots of little vibratory DC motors. Perfect size for rubber banding on a measure with a 9v
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Are you using a digital scale? The variance of each weigh can throw your thrown charges.

You could be measuring right but your scale will be .1gr off, so you add or reduce the charge thinking you are now spot on but in fact deleted .1gr or added .1gr to an originally perfect thrown charge.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
@dryflash3
Does the wax on the PM keep the rust at bay? Assuming you have semi humid conditions like Houston.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#24]
<removed> Way off topic for this forum. No idea why you thought this was a good idea?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top