Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 10:28:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz]
What are your thoughts as to the current value/usefulness of IR point/illum in today's potential battlespace, as armed civilians in an uncertain world.  

Just to get the ball rolling.  As we discuss what are useful stds for a LAM, for armed civilians, how about it's place in your current T,T,P's.  Active IR pointers and illum have been used extensively in modern times, yet with the current proliferation of NV, is their value down-graded somewhat, and how does that effect what LAM you choose (and is "good enough") for your use.

I would also add that I am of the opinion that passive NV use is preferable to active, in the same way passive red dot sight use, is preferable to active white light, if at all possible.  But granted, in some instances additional illum may be required.   With this in mind, would using your RDS, in both spectrums, be the best technique, and using supplemental illum as required, again in either spectrum.  Not to say shit-can the lasers entirely, but is their usefulness down-graded in this day and age.  Could we get by with a RDS, "NV" height, and dual spectrum illum, of your choice.  

I know all the "experts" will say we slimy civilians are way out of our depth here, and this is all "derp" to them.  I am not listening to all that any more.  I think we are perfectly capable of figuring out things for ourselves.  As long as we are seriously training and developing our own T,T,P's.  Of course there is much overlap; of course they still have good advice to give.  But we aren't idiots and have to mindlessly copy them either.  As we have seen, many of them have ulterior motives for what they're pushing.  And of course many of them are preaching what they truly believe.  But that might not be exactly what you need.

I think how useful it might be needs to be discussed, right along side of how durable it needs to be.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deltastone] [#3]
Originally Posted By Diz:Active IR pointers and illum have been used extensively in modern times, yet with the current proliferation of NV, is their value down-graded somewhat, and how does that effect what LAM you choose (and is "good enough") for your use.

I would also add that I am of the opinion that passive NV use is preferable to active, in the same way passive red dot sight use, is preferable to active white light, if at all possible.  But granted, in some instances additional illum may be required.   With this in mind, would using your RDS, in both spectrums, be the best technique, and using supplemental illum as required, again in either spectrum.  Not to say shit-can the lasers entirely, but is their usefulness down-graded in this day and age.  Could we get by with a RDS, "NV" height, and dual spectrum illum, of your choice.
View Quote

I think one thing you are missing from your analysis is that you can't be completely passive. Firing your gun is going to be visually active under nods pretty much no matter what you do.

Even this video of a guy shooting suppressed .22 shows there is going to be some pretty substantial muzzle flash picked up by pretty much any NV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HmAQp5MQwg

What has changed since the old days is videos of guys running around Fallujah with their PEQ's on pretty much 24-7 since the other side didn't have any NV. With NV everywhere, yeah you can't do that anymore, but a laser is always going to be faster and quicker than trying to get your 14 behind that red dot.

A lot of discussion on whether lasers and passive and what not comes down to a lot of one way range theory - or even two way Airsoft range use where it is actually possible to be 100% completely passive at all times and that kind of leaks into the broader discussions - but at the end of the day when you pull that trigger there is going to be some sort of light coming off that rifle.

When you keep that in mind it might change how you weight the downsides of having that laser on your rail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Great discussion.  Yes there is a legit debate about which is faster, RDS or laser.  The other side of that is how much NV capability do you expect.  Illum is illum, and no matter what, it is sometimes required.  Much like Lowdown 6, I was trained by Vietnam vets, and when white lights came into play, it was like WTF!.  So now it becomes a discussion about urban vs rural warfare, or free-fire zones vs positive target ID.  So your ROE's come into play.

As far as muzzle flash, granted it is a factor.  However this was the primary reason I wanted cans; flash suppression vs noise suppression.  Even there it is signature reduction, not elimination, so I get that point.  But if nothing else, it keeps the flash out of your NODs.  

And this is perhaps a training scar for me.  The vast majority of my training time active duty was with blank firing devices, so I was not keying on muzzle flashes.  So much the same now with milsim/airsoft.  

In addition, I did see an interesting vid the other day from Grunt Proof, where he was demonstrating his technique for laser use, as a machine gunner, where he wasn't shouldering his weapon but firing from the hip.  Now we all remember how the all the experts told us that only hollywood shot from the hip, however, with night vision and lasers, this is a viable technique, especially with heavier weapons.  And for you real old timers, you remember this was the "final assault" position we were all taught when we all got on line and assaulted through the enemy position.  

So for sure two schools of thought, and two techniques to be used, vs all one way, or the other.  

Final thought, and this may be anathema to the current mantra of precision aiming, but, anyone whose been through any kind of infantry training was taught some form of area fire (aka "Drake" fire), where you have a certain zone or sector of fire to cover.  For example, in a night ambush, I would fire to my left limit, right limit, and then one up the middle.  Rinse and repeat.  Therefore, I was covering my sector of fire, even though no actual target was visible.  But the idea was your team was providing a wall of overlapping fires that would cover the area in front of you.  Yes, many of you today would think holy shit but that was how it was done.  Now you could argue, with today's lasers and illum, you can do better than that, but I would also argue that peer to peer, you might be right back where we started.  Which is true of many T,T,P's these days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Lotsa truth leaking out into the open here ha ha.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
interesting discussion, and I am under the "good enough" camp with my amazon IR laser/illum. I have real IR illumination and a way to shoot passively, too.

as a civilian outside hunting, I honestly can't imagine a situation where I would be justified shooting something/someone with either passive or active as the only option. It would have to be white light to ID friend or foe. In home defense, post-hurricane neighborhood watch, etc, there would still be a need to answer why you did what you did and likely a trial (potentially) around it. Shooting a dude from the dark in the dark cause he seemed like a bad guy wouldn't play in court anywhere I've ever lived.

That said, I want to know what's going on with the options so if there's really SHTF or something of that magnitude I'm more ready. I doubt it for my time. I doubt it will come to peer on peer where "anyone between here and that hill is bad so fire away" is going to happen.

For high speed, front line guys with different ROE? sure spend a fortune, train on it, go nuts. For a chubby dude in his 40s in the suburbs? Good to know but not a high priority need. If SHTF that bad I would likely end up a cook or medic instead because I have those skills and I'm not as fast on my feet as most elderly dogs.

That said, I have a single PVS-14 and I am better equipped for night work than 95% of the "gun people" I have ever met. Many don't even have real lights on their rifles or CCW regularly. So I think we see more people into NV/Thermal here cause we're all kinda into it, so it skews farther. Plus with IR security cameras literally everywhere and in people's pockets, shy of a complete grid down situation, the suburbs aren't as dark as you'd think.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:02:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#10]
"In the AAR I asked- "when you were engaging the role players, how many of you looked at your sights under that stress?"  Not a hand was raised."

In my informal force on force training, I narrowed this down to two separate scenarios ...

Reactive - when I suddenly and unexpectedly came into engagement at close range, I never used my sights.  I instinctively knew the fastest person to put rounds on target won.  Sights slow you down.  I was also doing this on the move.  If you stand still you die more often.

Proactive - when I engaged an unaware target, I always used my sights.  Time and surprise was on my side.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:23:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#11]
Wow. You know threads like these make up for the GD.  

On sights, do any of you (other than Robert) remember Seven Trees "Guttersnipe" sights?  Before, in the Stone Age, these guys cut down old S&W semi-autos into spiffy carry guns.  The sights were replaced with a slanted, grooved channel, or gutter if you will.  It was for close up encounters, where sighting, if any, consisted of lining up the "gutter" with your opponent.  It was a pure, up close, gunfighting tool.  Rumored to also have been used by USSS, among others.  This literally dragged S&W, kicking and screaming, into the compact gun market.  

On your estimate of the situation.  Yes, this is a thorny issue.  That's why I mentioned what your ROE's might be at the time.  That's a balancing act for sure.  In a perfect world, your local Sheriff might declare a temporary curfew and warn people not to go creeping around unnecessarily.  If someone is shot under these circumstances, the scales might tip in your favor.  But I know, wish in one hand, and shit in the other...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
Wow. You know threads like these make up for the GD.  

On sights, do any of you (other than Robert) remember Seven Trees "Guttersnipe" sights?  Before, in the Stone Age, these guys cut down old S&W semi-autos into spiffy carry guns.  The sights were replaced with a slanted, grooved channel, or gutter if you will.  It was for close up encounters, where sighting, if any, consisted of lining up the "gutter" with your opponent.  It was a pure, up close, gunfighting tool.  Rumored to also have been used by USSS, among others.  This literally dragged S&W, kicking and screaming, into the compact gun market.  

On your estimate of the situation.  Yes, this is a thorny issue.  That's why I mentioned what your ROE's might be at the time.  That's a balancing act for sure.  In a perfect world, your local Sheriff might declare a temporary curfew and warn people not to go creeping around unnecessarily.  If someone is shot under these circumstances, the scales might tip in your favor.  But I know, wish in one hand, and shit in the other...
View Quote

I remember guttersnipe and trench sights, and they still do a sig 365 with a version today. Truthfully sights and optics add options. If you actually train and practice you can shoot "well enough" without any sights at all and very quickly. I can run my AR to ~25+ yards on a paper plate sized target with no optics at all very quickly.10 yards or so with a pistol. If I have an extra split second a flash sight picture makes it even better by sighting down the slide or a glimpse of front sight post. If I have an extra from that, rudimentary irons get me better and out to farther distance. Same improvement while you add a dot, then an LPVO, then an IR laser, then a whatever the hell gizmo. More time and more options increase what I can do. If you don't have those gizmos and training then you don't have those options.

I'm in the camp that it's good to have options, but we should be training super low use cases minimally compared to everything else. Which is more likely, I need to draw my concealed carry gun on a dude at a gas station or I need to quitely snipe enemy combatants under NODs. I can tell you how many times i've done either of those.... guess which comes up more?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
In terms of signature reduction, something I have not ever seen discussed is the amount of glint or reflection that pops off a nvg when a laser or illuminator is aimed nearby form “downrange”.

It’s like spotlighting a damn deer at times

I’ve not seen a decent solution, but I wonder if killflash type devices could work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Passive aiming is the King in rural terrain. Anything outdoors and with space, for the most part, is going to be passive aiming now.   Now, there are always exceptions like trenches and so forth, but I personally would be very conservative about my use of IR light and lasers outdoors.  It's basically something you would treat like visible white light now.  The days of doing IR lassos and just dozens of guys running around with their IR lasers on steady are long gone.  China's digital night vision has changed the game and soon their analogy night vision (see Jerry 31s) are going to filter down to even the sandle wearing insurgents in third world shit holes.

For MOUT (urban landscapes) and CQB (inside buildings) though active aiming and IR illumination is still King.  It's the King of speed and it's the King of nonverbal communication/signaling.   You still need a high power unit for that stuff even though the distances are closer, because in MOUT or CQB you could be dealing with some pretty strong photonic barriers that you need to be able to punch through to see what lies within the darkness beyond or to aim. The ability to difuse and focus is also still really important.   MOUT can still present some long expanses of distance.  

So, I don't think that MFALs are now these entirely secondary things we can just live with or without.  

In terms of the need for them to be rugged, yeah they have to be rugged.  God forbid anything ever did really go down that U.S. civilians needed this stuff for community defense they're not going to have any logistical support or at least very little.  Anything goes down and that's it for it, there is no repair or replacement.   True, it's highly unlikely a civilian is going to need to parachute, fast rope, or combat dive, but smacking into the concrete, having branches wack things hard, falling off an ATV or motorcylce,  or banging something into a car dozens of times in a day is definitely the type of abuse that can mess up electronic components that aren't rugged enough.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:21:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Augee] [#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Appreciate the discussion! especially nuggets from JRE and TNVC
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Since I'm pretty sure I'm the one he is addressing, I'd like to respond to Auggie's comments.  On learning from Vietnam vets vs Fallujah vets.  Yes, that is a point I have been trying make.  I have an SF buddy who has been my beta tester for gear for some 20+ years now.  It was he who started me thinking down this path.  He was one of the first guys I know who pivoted from what he was doing T,T,P-wise and started interviewing me on what we were taught during the cold war for peer to peer conflict.  This was his idea that he brought to me, not me "chest-thumping" trying to be relevant again.  He would be the first to admit that for most G-WOT vets, after SF selection, or Ranger School, or whatever, they did not have as much time in jungles or thick woodlands patrolling and looking for enemy spoor.  Their experience was much more kinetic, offensive in nature.  

I respectfully disagree that if the Boog does happen, that folks will be imitating what straight line infantry has been doing for decades; that is an institutional approach that merely assumes we would be mimicking line infantry, or even law enforcement in our activities.  That assumption means you have to listen to the subject matter experts in the military-industrial complex.  Judging from what I've seen from our military as of late, they are the last persons I would be wanting advice from.  In fact, to turn that argument on it's head, they could well be the enemy trying to herd you into FEMA camps.  Yes, I have my tin-foil hat on firmly in place.  But fuck it, I don't care how that looks anymore.  I am war-gaming various scenarios and coming up with tactics to defeat them.  

In certain scenarios, we could well be the guerillas, not the line infantry sent by the regime to quell the unrest.  So why would we train as line infantry doing "presence patrols" and the like?  You would be training in raids and ambushes to disrupt the regime, not support it.  And yes, I know how crazy that sounds.  But based on what's happen, especially in the last four years, I don' t think anything is off the table.  

And no, I don't claim to have a crystal ball, and say for certain that scenario may happen.  It is but one of many.  But serves to illustrate why I don't think you can just blindly follow what the mainstream military or LE T,T,P's are teaching.  Case in point, I plan on being as far away from large urban centers as possible.  I will be operating in a very rural environment, with very different T,T,P's.  We will be lucky to have small 4-man teams.  If we are lucky, we will be operating as long range patrol and surveillance assets for our local town.  Looking for something wicked coming our way.  At least this would be one initial phase that would be likely.  

Going back to my SF bud, our discussions centered on how we operated differently during the cold war.  Things such as comms windows, and reporting procedures, when you could expect a rocket battery down your ass if DF'd.  Things such as operating independently for days at a time, without re-supply.  Things like walking around with your load out instead of being vehicle-centric.  Lots of that old Vietnam vet shit that we learned.  On top of that, we learned that you can't keep fighting the last war; many forward-thinking individuals had already pivoted to what we would be doing in a Northern NATO scenario.  And again, many individuals today are stuck in the G-WOT and not looking at what future conflicts may look like.  I think talking in terms of peer to peer is somewhat of a misnomer, in that nothing we might be doing, as slimy civilians, is going to approach any kind of parity with whatever group or opponents we may be facing.   So talking in terms of what conventional line infantry would be doing is miles away from what we might be doing.  At least initially.  Granted, and hopefully, we could be organized into company-sized units, or dare I dream, BN-sized units, that would then mimic what Auggie envisions.  The trick is to get from here to there.  So I wouldn't entirely discount what he is saying, merely to point out that POV doesn't entirely cover the range of options available.  

So in closing I would merely suggest, that what we are trying to say isn't just chest-thumping, or old vets talking shit; it is taking a hard look at what we might be up against and selecting the best T,T,T's, both old and new, to meet the challenges ahead.  That may or may not be what the mainstream community is teaching right now.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Augee] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#24]
Well, better have him vent his spleen and let the reader decide.  I have no night vison product, or associated equipment being sold that I have a vested interest in.  And I am not accusing Augie of anything, other working for a company that does.  It is again, up to the reader to reach his own conclusions.  Augie may be totally truthful and honest in all his opinions, and just happen to work for a site sponsor.  In fact, all their opinions may align so he's is just telling the word according to Augie.  He does present a strong case, and many may decide he is right.  

I think it's important that everyone has their say.  Even if it is a site sponsor, and even if the perception is they are throwing their weight around.  I think people are smart enough to see through that kind of thing.  

Again I do not have a crystal ball and I do not know what may come about.  But I do know that something very bad is more than likely coming.  And obviously, that varies with Augie's estimate of the situation.  So there is that.  Every one of you must take in the evidence, analyze, and come to likely courses of action.  Each according to his own conclusions.  Augie and I obviously disagree, but that is OK.  

He also makes a strong argument for a couple of products, they just happen sell, and in all likelihood would work just as well, if not better, than some products we have been discussing here.   I'll take that at face value and say, right on, there is another choice.  

He again is correct, in that SF led guerilla warfare is nothing more than basic infantry tactics modified for the troops, weapons, and equipment available.  So for sure some concepts are timeless; others are intrinsically linked to the terrain and situation.  I suppose the trick is then to know what T,T,P's are appropriate for your situation, and just as importantly, which are not.  

Another point to consider is based on his comments, it would appear that Augie has an urban-centric outlook, at least according to his comments about urban centers and the amount of folks living there.  While this is true, I must re-emphasize the point that I plan on being nowhere near them.  With this in mind, my T,T,P's may more closely resemble those taught decades ago, rather than those taught in the past few decades.  But even though, I still look at what T,T,P's have developed since Mogadishu, and how those can still be incorporated with the lessons of classic woodland/jungle patrol.  For instance, Combat Casualty Care has made immense advances.  And comms.  And small weapons.  Boots.  Load Bearing Equipment.  Not to mention CQB, even though my goal is to avoid it like the plague, it would still be useful have some knowledge of it, just in case.  

So on balance, I don't disagree with Augie all that much; only to say I have a much wider interest in what support equipment is available, be it foreign-made or domestic.  He can insult me all he likes.  It doesn't matter much if at all to me.  I bear him no ill will.  Again people can read all this shit and make up their own minds.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:54:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ47] [#25]
My $0.02, for what it's worth, is I try and treat NV like unaided shooting - I use passive whenever possible and if I need the active aiming or the augment of illumination, I use it. Easy peasy discussion. Time and place for everything.

Edit - to add in on whatever battle of cheap vs expensive is - I think that if you were preparing for any type of conflict on US soil, the boog or a foreign military invasion, having quality gear would be important. Especially if replacing the gear isn't possible. Either buy something that'll last, or risk not having it.

If boog, I always truly wonder just how many of the active military would stay and fight for whatever tyrant is in power. I assume based on my conversations I've had it would be a rather low percentage.

If foreign invasion, I've often wondered how much help the citizens would truly provide the effort in repelling a force, and how often US mil and civilians would accidentally have blue on blue scenarios.

Though that's not this discussion lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:38:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#26]
Let me ask you guys this "do you think it would be of greater value to have two or three mediocre MFALs or just one great one?"  What's better, having some logistical resupply depth or putting your eggs all in one sturdy basket?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]
The thing about the MFAL market is that there really isn't a lot of inbetween mid tier items.   VCSEL, which I think we can all agree is the new hotness for civilian legal MFALs is only at present found on very high price end MFALs like the MAWL or the RAID Xe.   Everything else in the civilian MFAL realm either performs poorly or is made overseas with serious deficiencies (bad mount, terrible coalignment, etc.).  

I really hope that Holosun and Zbolt can bring to market mid-tier VCSEL MFALs.  Essentially we need that BCM of MFALs and right now all we have are the Knights and M&P Sports.  

Buying up any of the Chinese MFALs is just a compromise, they're pretty far from ideal.  The Somogear mount stinks, in my opinion, the Invisible Sight EG had serious coalignment issues in 4MR Ranch's review (5 MOA divergence), and the high end IS takes half a year if you're lucky to get.   The options like Laserspeed are the size of the DBAL D2, which at that point what's the point when you can get a D2?   Somogear doesn't have a usable diffuser, you'd have to spend almost half of what you paid for it to get an aftermarket one to put on.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#29]
While everything you are saying is true, another factor, for me, is it's priority in the overall scheme of things, meaning if having a full service (viz, IR pointer and illum) LAM is not absolutely critical to the mission (in your own opinion), then perhaps you would consider using units that are less than perfect.  

Scenario #1: You decide to put all your eggs into one basket.  Build the best rifle system you can, and hope like hell nothing ever happens to it.  Depending on budget you might buy a domestic full service LAM.  

Scenario #2:  You decide you need at least one back-up rifle, so you build two to essentially the same std.  Now you have a spare.  Depending on budget you might still buy two full service units, or decide to buy 2 x lower quality.

Scenario #3:  You decide that having several rifles, let's say 4, cached around your AO makes the most sense.  So you build up 4 to roughly the same std.  Now you would probably consider a lower quality unit, just to cover all the bases.  Or in this case rails.

Everyone of these scenarios ASSumes you are on some kind of budget and can't just build top end everything.  Further it ASSumes that you are actually prepping for bad times and have to allocate money wisely to cover multiple budgets.  

Further it ASSumes that you have decided, in the scheme of things, that having something is better than having nothing.  You accept the risk that it may crap out on you.  That risk is less likely to cause mission failure than other factors, such as not having another fucking rifle available when required.  

And, at the end of the day, it factors in whether or not fighting under NV is a very likely scenario, and the use of a LAM would even be required.  This is of course one man's opinion, based on what he figures he might see.  Again you have to do this analysis for yourself and plan from there.  

Seeing that this is a NV forum, naturally we err on the side of buying more expensive shit, just cuz.  But when this is included with the whole scheme of things, perhaps it loses some importance.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#30]
Great points DIZ.

See, that's my weakness, I need to think in terms of overall preps and prioritize my budget allocation.  For example, I'm building up my Jeep Rubicon to be a proper overlander (not just for SHTF, but for recreational purposes) and so maybe it makes more sense to spring for the Warn Winch and to offset that cost go with a cheaper LAM/MFAL.   I can make do if the MFAL goes down, but that winch can absolutely not fail me, because when I need it I need it to work without fail.

I got too hung up on having to have everything be Tier One stuff prior to COVID and when COVID hit and we all initially had no idea how bad or not bad it was going to be it was a kind of sobering moment for me.  I was absolutely not where I wanted to be prep wise at that point even though I've been slowly buying things for years leading up to it.  Here I am more than four years later still trying to adjust and apply the lessons I learned about being prepared.

Honestly, I'll just say that I'm also old enough now to be past the point of caring about having Instagram approved stuff.  There is always going to be some dude with more high end stuff than me and I have to get past trying to keep up with the Tacticool Joneses.  The more I've seen those type of guys anyways over the years the more I realize they're rarely well rounded folks.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Well this is a new day for many of you guys that perhaps were on the fence about this prepping thing.  Recent events have open the eyes of a lot of folks that are not naturally inclined to be suspicious bastards like myself.  I have been around long enough to know this is a totally different country than when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's.  You younger guys don't have that longer view to compare to.  The new normal was just your every day.  

You bring up a very good analogy, in that failure of some items is a real deal killer, whereas others made degrade the mission but not necessarily cause it to fail.  And for sure, vehicle budgets can soak up as much money as weapons and equipment.

Recent events have caused me to re-double my efforts to get squared away, so instead of discussing NV (or anything else) in a vacuum, I am now hyper-focused on how it fits into the big picture.  That may or may not apply to all folks at this site.  But if it does, I offer any stray thoughts I have on these issues.  

And for sure, time is way past (IMHO) for a fashion show where we compare who has the fanciest doo-dads.  

I used to have to hold my nose to consider using anything combloc.  Then I finally got an AK and discovered there really is a utility to the thing, once you understand the philosophy behind it.  It's basically diametrically opposed to how we designed weapons.  But that didn't mean it wasn't valid.  In much the same vein, a chicom LAM might not be "up to snuff" as compared to a US one, but that doesn't mean it has no utility whatsoever.

There are many here who will argue that, and have various reasons for doing so.  I would suggest that having one US laser on your primary, and maybe some foreign made on back up rifles cached around your AO might be a good COA for many of us.   And that is probably part of the reason we sit here at the kiddy table discussing chinese products in a separate forum from the adults.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#32]
I go back and forth on it. NV is definitely more common than it used to be, so caution is warranted with active emissions. I also don't think NV has proliferated as much as people in the gun world think it has, it's still an incredibly expensive novelty for all but perhaps a half a percent of the population. An even smaller percentage can actually effectively use NV offensively.  I hate to say it but you can't really answer the question of "do I need it or not" with our current level of understanding of how "it" will happen.

The solution is to get as good as you can at both passive and active use. If you feel you don't want to spend what a "good" laser costs, then don't. I doubt that will be the decisive factor in your survival, in any case.
I also think it's a waste of money to buy bottom tier stuff that is going to break much easier than a higher end unit. I'm not trying to attack Augee, but I don't think a Inforce light is going to last for you as long as even something like a cheaper DBAL, based on the Inforces I have handled. That's again a choice you have to make; I prioritize durability over most anything else.

My other soap box: Frankly, the sloppy use of infrared emissions that GWOT created should have never been normalized to start with. It should have been treated like discharging a while light from the get go. There is a middle ground that is between "lasers are useless" and blasting IR emissions into the abyss openly to telegraph your location.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#33]
In most respects take the military out of the equation - peer to peer, any signal you are gone, and with TOT everyone in a 500m x 500m area may also be gone.  

If you keep it to specific case use then different levels of discussion can be had, but they are becoming more and more unique/specific.    

If you reduce it to civilian and LEO case use then its straightforward, the vast majority of people don't have access to quality NODS and IR systems so you become king of the hills your environment.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:25:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#34]
Hot damn.  That is probably one of the best responses I have ever read here.  There is a little truth on both sides of this argument.  Well said.  

You know, as I sit here and ponder the future, I think back to JW Rawles, who was a survival guru way back in the 90's.  That dude split for Idaho, and set up a retreat, in the mid-90's and has been "prepping" ever since.  He was one of the first to popularize the "American Redoubt" concept.  Now I wonder if the dude wasted his life sitting in his cabin waiting for the boog, or, was it still a good experience for him.

And then, what IS really gonna happen.  No one really knows.  If you do get ready, perhaps you are just setting up the next generation for success.  So would that still be considered worthwhile.  We may not know when something is going to happen, but I think at some point something is gonna happen.  

But point well spoken.  Even as we look at the possibility of employing NV, and lasers, having something up to a certain std is probably a good idea.  I will admit the form factor has been a factor for me.  And perhaps I should set that aside and make sure whatever it is I end up with will actually work better than good enough.  

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:26:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#35]
The "boog" etc is interesting and you raise a good point about the man in Idaho, did he waste his life, to many, they would say yes and yet only he and his family can answer that.  We're they happy and fulfilled, if the answer is yes to both they won the life lottery.  

In my view, "being prepared" is a mind set rather than a list of tools, its better that you have family action plans in case of fire, flood, home invasion etc a house in the woods is irrelevant if you can't get there in good order.  

In terms of lasers etc how many people known the MPBR of their firearm for a specific cartridge and if they zero at 50 with 223, how high is the point of impact at 100 and how low is at 200 and 300? for a given factory ammunition for their barrel length and twist rate.  Do they understand the limitations of their high priced BDC reticle and optic.  

There are good reasons why parallel zeros are used for lasers (or at least very long distance convergent) and yet you will hear people say they zeroed their laser at 25 so its good to go for 300 - in that case it doesn't matter if you have a $50 laser or $3500 laser. The drift being understanding what you have, being effective with it and having the mindset to get the right outcome trump the expense and amount of gear in most cases.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Man hard truths breaking out all over this place.  Well said mate.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:05:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#38]
Good point mate.  We have heard many stories about domestic and foreign lasers having issues.  Would be nice to have head to head comparisons, so you can't say brand "x" laser has this issue, when in fact a lot of other laser have that as well.  Case in point, zero shift under recoil.  I have had active duty guys with experience in these things tell me that a laser zero check is practically a pre-combat check.  So mother-fucking one laser about this, without acknowledging it is a common problem is mis-leading.

As  far as stds, for an armed civilian in a WROL-type scenario, my vote would be:
-usable pointer and illum, out to 100m
-zero-able, and stays zeroed, as much as they are able, for at least 5.56mm
-solid mount
-reasonably waterproof, at least in a steady rain
-reasonably durable, at least a 3ft drop on dirt
-o-ring batt box to prevent bounce

Obviously some units we have been discussing here are not quite there.  But the Holosuns are, (and will be), and others are very close.  I have chosen to field a few units that might not quite be there, but for cost considerations, R&D, etc. I'm OK with that.  You may not be.  Data point of one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#39]
First I must say this has been a great read.

I will come from a different angle and say there's definitely a use case for these cheaper options when it comes to hunting at night.  

Have just a few hours on a toughsoul IR Laser combo,  but it's right up there with my TLR2iR, which in and of itself is a pretty cheap option.  So far is held zero for about 200 rounds of 300BO and around 500 of .22

I will say I've switched almost to passive exclusively lately on pistols just to get more proficient with it.  I actually like it better during the seasons with more foliage as I get less splash and bounceback from IR, and I'm usually hunting smaller critters with pistols.

One thing I will comment on is thermal is still the game changer over NV in my experience.  I have some kills with NV, but HMT then transition to thermal scope is the easy button. Walking and stalking with NV is fun but much harder.

How all this would translate into force on force in the real world I'm not sure, and I don't pretend to be tier 1.  I do know if we had some type of scenario like discussed above creeping into our ranch would be difficult and if you had ill intentions we'd definitely take our hunting methods and adopt them to 2 legged critters.  

I've spent more time, nights, hell full weeks under NV and HMT than pretty much any other gun people I know.  
I even have a bunch of boating hours and have caught some damn nice trout with my helmet on.  

What I'm trying to say is you need to get out there and actually use your stuff.  You'll find out what works and what doesn't rather quickly.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top