Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2024 12:48:09 PM EDT
I am putting together a reloading bench. The base is built, glued and screwed and braced. I have a piece of maple from a bowling alley for the top but have not yet attached the top. For some cartridges I use a Harrell's press and hand dies. It that mounts to the top with an integral clamp which needs about 4" of overhang. I will also be using a 550 and occasionally a Rockchucker. I have Ultramounts for both. Any reason to have more than  4" of overhang on the front?

Any other ideas how to mount the presses? Maybe something modular?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
Inline fabrication  makes quick change mounting platforms in three different heights. I use a medium height which I use for a press, trimmer, and vice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think that 4” of overhang would be plenty.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure the rear 2 bolts on a mounting system don't end up where a base support is located. Should be fine with Inline Fab mount with a 4" over hang according to these templates: https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

I used a Lee bench mount system and a rockchucker fits, just barely. 550 would probably need a larger mounting system.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steelworker:
I would think that 4” of overhang would be plenty.  

View Quote

10-4
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Just make sure the rear 2 bolts on a mounting system don't end up where a base support is located.
View Quote

This is a good point, figure out what equipment you're going to mount before deciding about the top, since you can. E.g. Might you ever mount a basic vise to this bench to hold stuff while you work on it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top