Do you own a gun OP?
View Quote

FPNI 😂
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:45:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yobo:
It’s a serious question.
I know a kid who is “ slow” and he loves guns and knows a lot about guns…he likes to play shooting video games.  He said he wants to buy a Glock 17.  I heard he was oxygen deprived during birth and had some developmental issues.  When I talk to him it’s like I’m talking to 8 or 9 y/o but you wouldn’t know it by his appearance.  He “finished” high school couple years ago.
I wouldn’t feel comfortable if he had it was carrying a loaded Glock
View Quote

See post 37 on the previous page, tell us the answer to the underlined question in red.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a serious question.
I know a kid who is " slow" and he loves guns and knows a lot about guns he likes to play shooting video games.  He said he wants to buy a Glock 17.  I heard he was oxygen deprived during birth and had some developmental issues.  When I talk to him it's like I'm talking to 8 or 9 y/o but you wouldn't know it by his appearance.  He "finished" high school couple years ago.
I wouldn't feel comfortable if he had it was carrying a loaded Glock
View Quote
Rights are not defined by you (or anyone else) "feeling" anything.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
How is babby formed??
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you new to GD?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
The average IQ is 100.  That's how the IQ scale is set.

85 iq is about 15 percentile, ie. 15% of the population has an IQ of 85 or lower.

OP needs to work on his IQ.
View Quote

Actually IQ of 85 to 115 is considered normal and makes up more than two-third of population.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Guns are scary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

See post 37 on the previous page, tell us the answer to the underlined question in red.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It’s a serious question.
I know a kid who is “ slow” and he loves guns and knows a lot about guns…he likes to play shooting video games.  He said he wants to buy a Glock 17.  I heard he was oxygen deprived during birth and had some developmental issues.  When I talk to him it’s like I’m talking to 8 or 9 y/o but you wouldn’t know it by his appearance.  He “finished” high school couple years ago.

I don’t know the answer to that question but considering his parents are in complete denial to his condition I don’t think he was ever formally evaluated
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Do you own a gun OP?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Given the behavior of many gun owners at public ranges… yes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#11]

I don't know the answer to that question but considering his parents are in complete denial to his condition I don't think he was ever formally evaluated
View All Quotes
It's a serious question.
I know a kid who is " slow" and he loves guns and knows a lot about guns he likes to play shooting video games.  He said he wants to buy a Glock 17.  I heard he was oxygen deprived during birth and had some developmental issues.  When I talk to him it's like I'm talking to 8 or 9 y/o but you wouldn't know it by his appearance.  He "finished" high school couple years ago.
I wouldn't feel comfortable if he had it was carrying a loaded Glock

I don't know the answer to that question but considering his parents are in complete denial to his condition I don't think he was ever formally evaluated

The key words are "adjudicated" and "committed".  Those are legal terms that describe actions that can only be done by a court of law, i.e. a judge or a panel of judges.  Specifics vary by state, but generally they are very high bars to cross.

ETA a low IQ score doesn't cause any legal sanction to happen automatically.  Being adjudicated as mentally incompetent or committed involuntarily are both based on demonstrated behaviors, and are irrespective of intelligence.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
What are military recruiting standards now 60?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#14]
Can a person with below normal IQ buy gun?  I believe  Below normal is less than 85 on IQ test.  
Let’s say someone who is 23 y/o with nothing to prevent him from buying a gun except he has mental capacity of 8 or 9 y/o child due to medical issue.
Can he legally buy a gun?
View Quote

I certainly hope so. This describes a significant percentage of my customers when I was an FFL.

ETA: In all seriousness, Low intelligence could be a disqualifier but it would require a determination by a court, board, commission or other lawful authority. Read the instructions included as part of every 4473 form:

Question 21.g. Adjudicated as a Mental Defective: A determination by a court,
board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked
subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is
a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or
manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court
in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found
not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes. It isn't a prohibited factor on that alone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4ger] [#16]
First FFL I ever worked for in 2008, I had a guy walk in and say he'd like to buy a revolver.

I showed him one and he said ok.

When he began filling out the 4473, he used a magnifying glass about an inch off the page.

Turns out he was legally blind.

I called NICS and they approved it.

So yes, me not being a medical professional, I am not going to diagnose someone as mentally unable to buy a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#17]

Actually IQ of 85 to 115 is considered normal and makes up more than two-third of population.
View Quote

Sadly, this is true and is a real problem.
Dullards will be the death of this great country.

Is this now a GD IQ thread? Because those are always awesome..
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I know a security guard he seems kinda dumb you have to really explain things to him he won't just get it. He has AK's, pistols, AR's etc...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#20]
They just steal them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Half the gun owners in the USA have below normal IQ for gun owners in the USA.
View Quote

I believe it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#22]

That's all well and good but you are assuming that the dumb guy knows what the word "adjudicated" means.
That's kind of the point of the thread...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Asking for a friend OP..?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Can a person with below normal IQ buy gun?  I believe  Below normal is less than 85 on IQ test.  
Let's say someone who is 23 y/o with nothing to prevent him from buying a gun except he has mental capacity of 8 or 9 y/o child due to medical issue.
View Quote
23 year old functioning at the level of a 9 year old is not even in the same galaxy as a person with an IQ in the low 80's.  The former would probably have a legally appointed caretaker and the latter you probably encounter regularly, without ever knowing it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Let’s say someone who is 23 y/o with nothing to prevent him from buying a gun except he has mental capacity of 8 or 9 y/o child due to medical issue.
View Quote

Absolutely, I've got quite a few myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
First FFL I ever worked for in 2008, I had a guy walk in and say he'd like to buy a revolver.

When he began filling out the 4473, he used a magnifying glass about an inch off the page.

So yes, me not being a medical professional, I am not going to diagnose someone as mentally unable to buy a firearm.
View Quote

The issue of people who are legally blind owning and carrying firearms was the subject of a long cascade of troll and counter-troll posts on a certain leftist forum several years ago.  It was hysterical.

Federal law says nothing about a vision test for purchasing a firearm.  I'm not aware of any state that requires a vision test merely to own one.  In my state and county, to get a CCW permit there is a mandatory live-fire test that I doubt that a legally blind person could pass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Do you own a gun OP?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
A person with dementia can be president. So sure thing
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I think about this question every time someone posts one of those videos with the soon-to-be-deceased yelling at the guy with the gun, "Fuck you! What are you going to do, shoot me!!?" They research at this point indicates that at a certain intelligence level people are unable to process abstract thought and have little conception of consequence. Those people have no business owning a firearm.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

If the Medical people did their job his mental health issues would show up on the background check. If they didn't, that it is up to the seller to use some common sense. Pass or fail the background check, it is legal for the seller to use common sense.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
Yes, because The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution says "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
View Quote

A mentally disabled person would be disqualified from the militia. Notice the term, "well regulated."
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#33]
OP be:  " />
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#34]
It’s a serious question.
View Quote

You should probably do a preemptive report on him to be safe.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#35]
You just have to be smart enough to fill out the paperwork correctly...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I've bought several guns, and I have a below normal IQ. So I'd say yes, as long as you can answer the question about mental institutions with a "NO".
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#37]
What mental health issues disqualify you from owning a gun?

This includes:
Someone who was found insane by a court in a criminal case.
Someone who can't stand trial due to incompetence.
Someone who was found not guilty due to lack of mental responsibility.
Someone who was involuntarily committed to an institution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

English?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By chupacabras:
Not potty.
View Quote

Clearly I missed some epic thread, as I frequently see "not potty" appear in threads on here. Dare I ask, what is the "not potty" origin story?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Can they complete and pass the 4473?

If yes then also yes
View Quote

I could have done that when I was 8 years with no problem, except the age limit.

Hell, 51 years later I am not all that much smarter and I have done it over 200 times.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
I buy gun all time
View Quote

why waste time say lot word when few word do trick
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Here are the questions OP.

See for yourself.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#43]
A dozen people already quoted “idiocracy “

I’d imagine an IQ of 80 would be fairly “normal” and outside a test or trained background it might be difficult to define . It ain’t “budding rocket scientist” but it also is t “window licker”. Thing is once you get 30 points of separation between people in a conversation it becomes fairly easily apparent. An IQ below 70 is  mentally challenged line as I understand it, and an iq of 100 is the mean. A conversation between two individuals at those levels would resemble Forrest Gump, the actual conversation and a analysis of
Events would be different but the ability to relay facts would be also similar.

I listened to a Down’s syndrome man describe the events of a murder he witnessed. 100% factual, but not realizing the greater implications.   Went kinda like this
” , (lawyer), Was she making any noises when you saw this?
(Downs guy), yes she was screaming “help me”then she screamed different , and stopped and went still.”
“Is that when the police car came?”
“ yes that was when the police car came”
“How many people got out of the police car?”
“2”
What did they do ?
“They went to the guy and talked to him for a second and then handcuffed him like on tv”

As a witness the guy was flawless in relating what he had seen but I think had limited understanding of what those facts meant. I like to think it spared him from knowing his care taker wasn’t ever going to make him Mac and cheese with hotdogs like he liked.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
My ex wife’s traded and she flies planes
Now…
View Quote

"traded" ?
This thread is rather illuminating..
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Let's say someone who is 23 y/o with nothing to prevent him from buying a gun except he has mental capacity of 8 or 9 y/o child due to medical issue.
View Quote
Probably not if their honest on the 4473.

What are you looking to buy though?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#47]
But not voting
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Is he institutionalized per actual due process for actual crime? That is the only case where the answer = no gun.

Any other circumstances are a violation of 2a.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

The issue of people who are legally blind owning and carrying firearms was the subject of a long cascade of troll and counter-troll posts on a certain leftist forum several years ago.  It was hysterical.

Federal law says nothing about a vision test for purchasing a firearm.  I'm not aware of any state that requires a vision test merely to own one.  In my state and county, to get a CCW permit there is a mandatory live-fire test that I doubt that a legally blind person could pass.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
Originally Posted By M4ger:

@California_Kid

I've watched a legally blind person pass the live fire test to get a carry permit and, as the instructor who watched him do it, I signed his certificate.

The state standard was 48 rounds fired at varying distances from 3, 7, and 15 yards. In order to pass, the state required 70% of the shots hit a man-sized silhouette target. For sake of ease with the math, every instructor I know of had students shoot 50 rounds, so 35 of the 50 had to hit the target. IIRC, the state required 18 rounds each at 3 and 7 yards, and 12 rounds at 15 yards. The extra two rounds were fired at 3 yards where I worked. So, a student could miss every round at 15 yards and still pass, provided 35 of the 38 rounds fired at 3 and 7 yards hit the target.

This particular student could see the target as a blob, but couldn't make out details on it. He could see the front sight, though, and scored above the minimum passing requirement of 70%.

Over the years, I saw plenty of shooters with perfect site shoot worse than he did, including many who couldn't hit 35 out of 50. Heck, I saw shooters miss at 3 yards.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#50]
OP is asking for a friend
Page / 3
Top Top