Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2024 8:05:43 AM EDT
Me and my wife both have maxed out Ibonds and I've been wondering if it would be smart to take that money out before the 5yr mark and reinvest it into our Fidelity acct? I am currently in FZROX and FXAIX with a list of others to look into that have done really well for my Mom when she inherited my GPa's account, but I just don't know if that would worth it.

I know I would have to pay tax on the IBond gains, but so far I think thats been just under 2k for each account. I feel like I could make more by parking it in Fidelity for the next 3y instead of waiting 3y to get to the 5y no penalty mark with the IBonds. Thoughts from the hive?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Hodgi_:
Me and my wife both have maxed out Ibonds and I've been wondering if it would be smart to take that money out before the 5yr mark and reinvest it into our Fidelity acct?

I know I would have to pay tax on the IBond gains, but so far I think thats been just under 2k for each account. I feel like I could make more by parking it in Fidelity for the next 3y instead of waiting 3y to get to the 5y no penalty mark with the IBonds. Thoughts from the hive?
View Quote

What do you mean by "maxed out" ibonds?  
If they're about 2 years old are they 0% fixed rate?  
$2k profit in 2 years at a 2022 rate means the face value of the bonds is in the $15-20k range?

If they're about 2 years old then most of that $2k profit came when they were new and earning 7-9%, now they're earning about 4%.  That 4% is not significantly beating inflation, depending on where/how you live that 4% might be less than inflation.

Rough math, but if they are $20k face value then losing 3 months of 5% interest means you'll give up a few hundred dollars of interest by cashing them in now.  

Why did you buy them?  Were you sucked in by the high initial interest rate that was due to the high china-flu inflation?  
If you otherwise like the bonds, an option could be to sell them and buy new I bonds, the current fixed rate is 1.3 so selling them to buy new would give you a significantly higher interest rate for as long as you keep the bonds.

At the end of the day, if they do have a 0% fixed rate then their maximum interest rate will always be equal to inflation and I would likely sell them.  
If their fixed rate is non-zero then I would re-evaluate, but best case for 2-ish year old I bonds is the fixed rate is well under 1% and I would still most likely cash them in.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

What do you mean by "maxed out" ibonds?  
If they're about 2 years old are they 0% fixed rate?  
$2k profit in 2 years at a 2022 rate means the face value of the bonds is in the $15-20k range?

If they're about 2 years old then most of that $2k profit came when they were new and earning 7-9%, now they're earning about 4%.  That 4% is not significantly beating inflation, depending on where/how you live that 4% might be less than inflation.

Rough math, but if they are $20k face value then losing 3 months of 5% interest means you'll give up a few hundred dollars of interest by cashing them in now.  

Why did you buy them?  Were you sucked in by the high initial interest rate that was due to the high china-flu inflation?  
If you otherwise like the bonds, an option could be to sell them and buy new I bonds, the current fixed rate is 1.3 so selling them to buy new would give you a significantly higher interest rate for as long as you keep the bonds.

At the end of the day, if they do have a 0% fixed rate then their maximum interest rate will always be equal to inflation and I would likely sell them.  
If their fixed rate is non-zero then I would re-evaluate, but best case for 2-ish year old I bonds is the fixed rate is well under 1% and I would still most likely cash them in.

View Quote

you can hold a maximum of 10k/person in electronic IBonds. Both me and my wife have 10k. I got them initially b/c the rate was like 9.6% and outside my retirement and savings, i had no money in anything else earning interest.
but now that i have accounts open thru fidelity, i feel like i could earn a better return in fidelity even after losing the 3months of earned interest and having to pay the tax on what they earned.

Basically im looking for reassurance that my thought process is sound, and i'm not overlooking something, as i am pretty new to actively managing my own investments.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hodgi_:
Both me and my wife have 10k..... I got them initially b/c the rate was like 9.6% and outside my retirement and savings,
View Quote

If you started at 9.6% two years ago then your fixed rate is 0 and you're currently getting 4%, correct?
In that case I would cash them in now rather than wait for the 5 year mark.  

3 months of 4% on $20k is about $200 in interest that you'll lose by cashing in now.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you think you can get a better rate or return elsewhere....eject.   You can calculate the penalty....it's not that much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I had bought two sets of them at $10,000 each for my parents when they were at 9.6%.  Dad passed in January so I went to cash them in.  Once he passed I was forced into the manual redemption process and will be lucky to get my mom TBE pay my this year.  This was learned after sitting on hold for 2 + hours.
Also found out I could cash moms in electronically and have payment I. 2 business days.  So I choose that route for hers.
The customer service at Treasury sucks in a very big way.
Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wrong. I had just under 2k from both bonds, not 2k on each. Not sure how much the final 3 months of interest was but it was currently under 4 so i ejected.
I don't think the gains tax will be too much, so i will have made a little money. But I think it will be much better invested thru my other brokerage accts. Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top