Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/7/2024 9:49:41 AM EDT
LVP is better than hardwood flooring.

It's trash and there's nothing luxury about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#1]
LVP is better for dogs kids and water.

It’s worse for looks and feel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#2]
I don't think anybody ever called it luxury. (I know it's  in the name, but I mean nobody's actually flexing with LVP.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UTex86:

View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
A Pex line from my water heater output had a seem in it and a small leak developed and went unnoticed all night. The end of the Pex line had been bent and should have been removed by the builder 10.5 years ago, but it wasn't and now I have an insurance claim. I will not be replacing the hardwood floors. Tile or LVP.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
I don't think anybody ever called it luxury. (I know it's  in the name, but I mean nobody's actually flexing with LVP.)
View Quote

I think you underestimate suburban women.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
LVP is great for what it is. I put it downstairs a few years ago and still looks new with kids, pets, and life. Of course it feels different than legit wood floors but it’s held up and still looks great. In about 3 more years I’ll be able to put down real wood flooring as the kids are getting older
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I just built my house last year and all but 2 rooms in the house have hardwood.  I love the look and the feel but man oh man the scuffing and scratching is driving me nuts.  Even had a hardener applied when they finished them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I put basically the commercial grade in my kitchen.  No hardwood for me in a kitchen or bathroom.  My parents had their dishwasher leak, their kitchen floor is still warped from the water on the hardwood.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:05:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#11]
It's what I'll use next time i do a hard surface floor. Easy as hell to install and tear out and holds up better.

Sure a real wood floor looks slightly better (many lvps are very close) but once it's scratched to shit the lvp looks better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#12]
We refloored our house a couple years ago with Pergo Outlast+, which is a waterproof laminate product.  I have big dogs and kids, so durability was a huge factor.  The floors look great and still don't have a single scratch, even with 100 pound dogs running down the hall and up and down the stairs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:08:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1245xx] [#13]
I had top 2 floors and stairs done last week with the lpv.  2 dogs and 1 cat.  Don’t know about long term, but so far it’s great.  We had carpet on the top floor, but had it ripped out and replaced with this stuff.  Takes a little getting use to, but it beats the crap out of having to shampoo the carpets once or twice a year.
Edit-lpv put over hardwoods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:13:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#14]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
A Pex line from my water heater output had a seem in it and a small leak developed and went unnoticed all night. The end of the Pex line had been bent and should have been removed by the builder 10.5 years ago, but it wasn't and now I have an insurance claim. I will not be replacing the hardwood floors. Tile or LVP.
View Quote

Tile that looks like hardwood for the win

To me the worst part of tile is dropping something heavy and it might crack.  Some of this is how well it is installed, which brings the second problem of having a level surface of either concrete or reinforced surface (second story) to put it on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#15]
17 dogs and a cat, yeah, LVP in this house. I laid hardwood in the last house but at that time it was one dog and a cat, no kids and looked fucking fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll never have a wood or carpet floor again.  LVP, tile or polished concrete for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Everything on the main floor is hardwood. I like , it looks good and wears well.

If I built a new house today it would be LVP.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MedMan91:
LVP is great for what it is. I put it downstairs a few years ago and still looks new with kids, pets, and life. Of course it feels different than legit wood floors but it’s held up and still looks great. In about 3 more years I’ll be able to put down real wood flooring as the kids are getting older
View Quote

In our old house we had all the carpet ripped out and replaced with LVP. The carpet was about 10 years old and looked like crap (builder grade stuff). A year or so later when we went to sell the house, we were told that's one of the reasons the buyers liked our house (that, and the sliding barn doors that I built and replaced the laundry nook doors with)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:24:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#19]
There is nothing luxury about vinyl.  

I have 100% porcelain tile in my ranch house.  Although I don't call it luxury ceramic, it it is most certainly more luxury than bullshit vinyl stuck on mdf planks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Old house had real wood floors.  

Spent a lot of sweat equity redoing them.  They were beautiful but so f’in delicate.

Everything scratches them.  Drop anything on them and it’ll leave a dent.  

Will never, ever bother with real wood floors again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Spent a lot of sweat equity redoing them.  They were beautiful but so f'in delicate.

Everything scratches them.  Drop anything on them and it'll leave a dent.  

View Quote
230gr LRN dropped from bench height will put a nice ding on polyurethane coated hardwood.  If I ever replace that flooring, I want to do a textured rubber sheet like some gyms have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#22]
LVP is good for kitchens and bathrooms where water intrusion is a higher risk. And while some of the styles are a LOT better than when it first hit the market, I still prefer actual hardwood floors over anything else.

And now, story time...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:
LVP is good for kitchens and bathrooms where water intrusion is a higher risk. And while some of the styles are a LOT better than when it first hit the market, I still prefer actual hardwood floors over anything else.

And now, story time...

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Aside from the wall weirdness, some kind of assessment/tax avoidance for a residence vs a farm or shop structure?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#24]
We have it in the bar area of our finished basement and in the laundry room, it is fine for that. I would not be happy with it in the main living areas vs our hardwoods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I live in the PNW and have dogs.
It's almost a requirement.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
You're correct, but look at the real trash we use for walls and ceilings.  Paper laminated over soft plaster made from calcium sulfate compound.

View Quote

All of that has several purposes.  Do you have any idea how well it works for retarding and suppressing fires?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]

It's worse for looks and feel.
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#29]
My hardwood did not have a problem with scratches. The solution was I had then refinished with the same stuff they use on basketball courts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Stained concrete >
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

To me the worst part of tile is dropping something heavy and it might crack.  Some of this is how well it is installed, which brings the second problem of having a level surface of either concrete or reinforced surface (second story) to put it on.
View Quote

I should have included tile in the poll, it's better especially in hot climates.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
I'll never have a wood or carpet floor again.  LVP, tile or polished concrete for me.
View Quote

This. As soon as we're able, we're taking the carpet out of our house and re-doing the floors. Dogs, having sandy soil, and my wife's gardening habits mean a lot of debris gets tracked in the front/back doors.

I don't care about "fine/luxury" flooring, I just want some shit that won't trap dog hair and the occasional accidental spill anymore.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By -Kyuss-:
17 dogs and a cat, yeah, LVP in this house. I laid hardwood in the last house but at that time it was one dog and a cat, no kids and looked fucking fantastic.
View Quote

WTF .gif

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:52:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#34]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#35]
We chose our flooring to live/walk on, not to impress people with finer sensibilities than our own.

And I don't say that to criticize those of you with said sensibilities. I'm just saying - the LVP stuff we chose - twice now, once when we built then again when we renovated - meets our needs well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I am going to replace the even cheaper fake wood flooring in my basement office with some.  I track in snow and grit.  On the floors above?  Oak. Real Oak.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:58:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#37]
Lvp install.. it's ok. I would have preferred actual oak but the cost differential was substantial. But for the second home I was not prepared to drop that kind of coin.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

You have 17 dogs?  JFC..
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I’m not hard on my floors. No pets. I did engineered hardwood in the current house, but I’m going back to good old red oak site finished in the next joint.

Vinyl is garbage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#40]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

WTF .gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

WTF .gif

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Just sounds like a typical barndominium minus any external frills IMO

And now, story time...

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I had hickory put in.  Harder than oak.  It helps keep scratches away and looks good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Spent a lot of sweat equity redoing them.  They were beautiful but so f’in delicate.

Everything scratches them.  Drop anything on them and it’ll leave a dent.  

View Quote

We have real wood floors throughout the house, except for the bathrooms.  Live in the country, work in ag, track in all sorts of stuff.  

To me, that's one of the beauties of real wood...just like a beautiful walnut gunstock, it carries the daily wear & tear with elegance.  No one in my circles expects wood floors to look like the day they were installed decades later, but they still look nice the way they are.  They were made to walk on, after all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:12:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#46]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

View Quote

Yes,  I have some tile in the foyer by the basement door.  There is a hairline crack across 3 or four tiles which I suspect coincide with the poured basement floor settling with a crack.  There are a few other cracks in the unfinished basement portions.  The builders here weren’t that good and seem to have been thrifty at the urging of the first owner.  The longer I have owned this place the more dumbshit and short cuts for cost savings.  I am the buy once cry one over build it type.  I built the garage and I had the builder rebar the shit out of it against his thoughts but I was guided by a friend who does commercial work.  Seeing I was on fill (which I also had tamped like it was a federal construction project dam footing) I wanted everything in my favor.  8 years no cracks on the uncut 32x50’ haunched slab.

The door and window trim was done by idiots.  I always said I was going to redo it but have yet to do so.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

Aside from the wall weirdness, some kind of assessment/tax avoidance for a residence vs a farm or shop structure?
View Quote

Not sure. I never asked him about it. He seemed a bit standoffish in that regard (as am I) so I never pressed. I do know the property was a decent amount (over 100 acres) and the structure was WAY off the road. He showed us a satellite image of the actual property and there was a ton of trees between the house and the road with a long, winding drive. Granted we knew the address due to the measurement quote and the install, but I'm not one to pry so I never looked up exactly where it is.

And in the satellite images it looked like most of the properties around there were the same; lots of acreage with single structures on them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#48]

And now, story time...

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
I'd live in that.  I'd also have magnetic antenna mounts on the roof with 15-30' towers.  And half the building would be a shop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Funny, I was thinking about starting a thread asking about impressions on LVP.

My new house will be completed early next month, and aside from the bathrooms and laundry room, it's all LVP. No carpet anywhere.

I have no pets, and will have an 11 year old step son. I suspect we won't have any wear-and-tear issues. The planking looks good and should be durable. I like it a lot.

My older sister and husband had their house refloored about 15 years ago with some dark brown looks-like-wood tile. I like it, but the dark color they went with makes lint and dust show up really easily. You'd have to vacuum every damn day to avoid it. The LVP I went with is a lighter brown wood appearance.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#50]
There can be only one!

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top