Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Painting Rifle question. (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a beater rifle or extra handguard laying around use it for practice.  The first squeeze of the nozzle is the hardest.  Once you get past that it gets easier and you just might start looking for more stuff to paint.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
As I'm sure has been said, just start a spraying and let it happen.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, don't use Krylon, it's trash. Rustoleum is way better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Rustoleum camo paint is the way. Personally, I paint the optic and light too. Tape off the muzzle, trigger, buttpad (paint on rubber isn't ideal), glass, all that.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
loads of ugly guns here op, let me help turn the tide

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Step 1: gather local foliage.

Step 2: mask off areas that you don't want paint on (optic lenses, iron sight apertures and posts, light lenses, put a foam ear plug in the muzzle). A few coats of paint on the buffer tube will tighten up the stock if yours is rattly, so remove it if you want.

Step 3: hose it down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner or denatured alcohol (I use the latter on plastic stuff).

Step 4: imbibe beverage of choice until euphoria ensues.

Step 5: paint in alternating diagonal stripes using light colors.

Step 6: throw foliage on rifle.

Step 7: paint in alternating diagonal stripes using all colors.

Step 8: remove foliage, and repeat steps 6-7 until desired pattern is achieved.

If you want it to look worn, wear it yourself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The top one is the look that I really like. I'd need to add some green and brown given I'm in the south but it looks really sweet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tct1000:
loads of ugly guns here op, let me help turn the tide

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271151/arp_jpg-3207564.JPG

View Quote
That looks good to be honest. Really captures that painted over a couple of times.

I guess that's really what I want in a look for at least 1 of them. That was black, painted OD for one war, painted White for UN mission, painted black or OD then tan for Iraq, and is now wearing off because don't know what color stuff will need to be next.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm actually respraying a couple guns thursday. I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#12]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Only 3 I've done...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79569/1000001432_jpg-3207491.JPG
Rattle can, pine straw method.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Only 3 I've done...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79569/1000001432_jpg-3207491.JPG
Rattle can, pine straw method.

Nice job on the Beretta. That looks professionally done.

Originally Posted By Inimicalone:
As I'm sure has been said, just start a spraying and let it happen.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228016/Message_1656776978701-2439143.jpg

That had to take a lot of time to do. Nice job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I paint everything.  Painter's tape for what I don't want paint on.

Use acetone to clear oils off on metal but don't use it on rubber or plastic.  Those get rubbing alcohol.

Macro patters FTW.  Micro patterns may look cool up close but they just blur at a distance.  You want pattern disruption.

For a dusty or less stencil look dust it with a distant mist.  

Warming the parts up helps.  Don't spray in high humidity.  Use ultra flat paint like what Rapco sells.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
The top one is the look that I really like. I'd need to add some green and brown given I'm in the south but it looks really sweet.
View Quote

Just need some Rustoleum camo paint, a few years and a few thousand rounds of use and you'll get it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Have a drink and just do it.
View Quote

That's my policy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#16]

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#18]
To me, the sponge is not the neatest but to me the most effective.   I think it's far harder for the eye to pick up a shape.

Definitely like the Rhodesian brushstroke and the copperhead patterns I have seen but think that sponge in paints to match your area works best.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
The bottom one is the only painted rifle I have.  I did no surface prep whatsoever and used Rustoleum camo spray paint.  It's not durable at all and wears easily and quickly.  I didn't lay the paint on heavily.  Just enough to cover the black.

https://i.imgur.com/EbkniGs.jpeg
View Quote

That's basically how I did mine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Escape_from_NY] [#20]

The maestro of camouflage painting joins the conversation! I’ve said it before but I’ll repeat myself and say that you sir, have talent.

Almost without exception the camo painted rifles posted online are amateurish at best and I’ll readily admit that I could do no better. Your work is consistently impressive.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
Pat Rogers, one of the better carbine instructors, has a video that covers the topic pretty well.  For those that don't know Pat's history, he retired from NYPD and the US Marine Corps.  In the Corps he was a Warrant Officer and taught infantry tacics and close quarters battle.

https://op4guy.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-paint-your-carbine-by-pat-rogers.html

Dang it, the link doesn't show the photos.

I wnet back to the Light Fighter FORUM and found a good link.

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/geeks-and-guns-i-e-how-i-painted-my-colt-and-lived-to-tell-about-it
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Do it, OP

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And get some child labor involved if you have the chance

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Tape off lenses and adjustment marks. No prep. Paint.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#25]
In general, every rifle looks better painted.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:
In general, every rifle looks better painted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I didn't have anything but Deep Forest Green and a can of black so I got some coming tomorrow. Got 3 or 4 Sand and Khaki cans, 2 Earth Brown, 2  Black and 2 Army Green.

Since it's raining today I said "fuck it", but not out loud where I'd get fussed at for cursing, and put a coat of Green on my 9mm AR just to see how it goes. Taped off the buffer tube, trigger, and ejection port because no dust cover. Taped over the lens on the beater red dot that's on it and didn't clean jack!  It actually looks pretty good just green. Gonna try some woodlandish look on it when the other paint gets here.  Now I got to decide if I want green for a base or Sand/Khakia like I thought.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't have anything but Deep Forest Green and a can of black so I got some coming tomorrow. Got 3 or 4 Sand and Khaki cans, 2 Earth Brown, 2  Black and 2 Army Green.

Since it's raining today I said "fuck it", but not out loud where I'd get fussed at for cursing, and put a coat of Green on my 9mm AR just to see how it goes. Taped off the buffer tube, trigger, and ejection port because no dust cover. Taped over the lens on the beater red dot that's on it and didn't clean jack!  It actually looks pretty good just green. Gonna try some woodlandish look on it when the other paint gets here.  Now I got to decide if I want green for a base or Sand/Khakia like I thought.
View Quote

I’ve never cleaned or degreased a rifle prior to paint. Figure it’s going to get dinged up anyway, so no reason to worry about perfect adhesion or consistency.

I tape off the trigger, front sight post/rear sight aperture, muzzle (unless I’m painting with a suppressor on), the lenses of any lights or IR lasers, and any scope adjustment data on windage and elevation knobs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

@ZF-1

What the fuck is that thing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a spray painted rifle after 1 year and 2 months. Looks like hardcore wear, but that is just from holding it and taking it places normally. going to need a new coat
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#31]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
This is a spray painted rifle after 1 year and 2 months. Looks like hardcore wear, but that is just from holding it and taking it places normally. going to need a new coat
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/rifle_paint_jpg-3209114.JPG
View Quote
What you need to do is stop pussy footin' around and paint those optics.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#32]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
What you need to do is stop pussy footin' around and paint those optics.
View Quote

But the 50 shades of peanut butter are so nice .  I was afraid to paint the optics but its probably  time when it gets  a new coat. That stuff wipes off easy with acetone anyway
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

But the 50 shades of peanut butter are so nice .  I was afraid to paint the optics but its probably  time when it gets  a new coat. That stuff wipes off easy with acetone anyway
View Quote

It looks fantastic as is, bro.  I’d leave it.  

No fuckin’ way I’d paint the Iray.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

It looks fantastic as is, bro.  I’d leave it.  

No fuckin’ way I’d paint the Iray.
View Quote

Thanks, yeah too many buttons and small crevices on the iray for sure. I had avoided painting the nightforce stack because supposedly that voids the NF warranty
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I’ve never cleaned or degreased a rifle prior to paint. Figure it’s going to get dinged up anyway, so no reason to worry about perfect adhesion or consistency.

I tape off the trigger, front sight post/rear sight aperture, muzzle (unless I’m painting with a suppressor on), the lenses of any lights or IR lasers, and any scope adjustment data on windage and elevation knobs.
View Quote

I honestly don’t know, but what’s the deal with taping off the muzzle?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Light coats multiple coats.

I think I’ve thought I knew what based color I wanted the first two times.  I got it right the third time. Just spray of you don’t like it spray again.

If you want it durable do alumihyde
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Dish soap, spray and rinse

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Good job OP.  Post it up when you finish the first one!

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#40]
After my 3rd attempt of trying to get it perfect with tape, I went the sponge route.  

" />
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tc2129:

View All Quotes

Figure I don't want anything getting into the actual rifling of the barrel. Don't care about a little overspray making its way inside a suppressor.

Probably a non-issue, as the first few rounds would get rid of it, but I don't see it is a time saver to not tape it off, and all risk if getting shit in the barrel leads to accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#42]
You don't need degreaser. You don't need stencils. Spray it. If you don't like it, spray it again.

People make this overly complicated.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Figure I don't want anything getting into the actual rifling of the barrel. Don't care about a little overspray making its way inside a suppressor.

Probably a non-issue, as the first few rounds would get rid of it, but I don't see it is a time saver to not tape it off, and all risk if getting shit in the barrel leads to accuracy issues.
View All Quotes

I've never cleaned or degreased a rifle prior to paint. Figure it's going to get dinged up anyway, so no reason to worry about perfect adhesion or consistency.

I tape off the trigger, front sight post/rear sight aperture, muzzle (unless I'm painting with a suppressor on), the lenses of any lights or IR lasers, and any scope adjustment data on windage and elevation knobs.

I honestly don't know, but what's the deal with taping off the muzzle?

I figured it was just something to do with can lock up and not wanting any paint on the threads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok here is my practice attempt on my 9mm AR. Tried a pass with a mess bag and did not like the "snake skin" look.

I just painted it all green for the base coat and then hit it with some Earth Brown, Tan, and Army Green. It looks better in person.

https://imgur.com/a/etywzbU

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#45]
The less you prep and care the better it comes out in my experience.

I spent 25min painting mine no degrease no taping off except optic lense and let her eat
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#46]
You’re over thinking this. Get three beers in you, four if you’re a big fucker, and find some green and brown paint. Next what you want to do is spray that paint on the rifle. The beer will serve as inspirational lubricant for what pattern is chosen. After it dries and you sober up, if you don’t like the pattern then repeat the process or get over it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#47]
As most others have said, wipe off any obvious oil/grease then either heat the gun by setting it in the sun or with a heat gun, make sure your paint is warm, tape off the glass and any indicator marks you need, stick a paper towel or rag in the  magwell, tape the suppressor mount (no need to tape other muzzle devices), close the dust cover and get to work.  For the love of all that is holy, paint your optics, bipods, etc- your rifle looks goofy with a black optic sitting on top and if you put it down in your environment and walk away you'll see how it makes the gun stick out.  If you want to accelerate wear patterns, put on some chemical resistant gloves, spray brake/carb/whatever cleaner on the gloves then handle the rifle as you normally would including hitting any high points that would normally see wear.  

If you're curious what works best in your area, try a couple test sprays on a piece of cardboard stick it in the woods you normally hunt in, and start walking away from it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
The less you prep and care the better it comes out in my experience.

I spent 25min painting mine no degrease no taping off except optic lense and let her eat
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#49]
I figured it was just something to do with can lock up and not wanting any paint on the threads.
View All Quotes

I've never cleaned or degreased a rifle prior to paint. Figure it's going to get dinged up anyway, so no reason to worry about perfect adhesion or consistency.

I tape off the trigger, front sight post/rear sight aperture, muzzle (unless I'm painting with a suppressor on), the lenses of any lights or IR lasers, and any scope adjustment data on windage and elevation knobs.

I honestly don't know, but what's the deal with taping off the muzzle?

If I was painting a gun with a suppressor mount on the muzzle, but without the can mounted, I’d definitely keep paint off the mount. I’ve only painted guns with a can on the end or an A2 flash hider. Didn’t tape up either of those.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Rustoleum was used on this one.  Still need to paint the suppressor...too much rain/humidity lately.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Painting Rifle question. (Page 2 of 3)
Top Top