Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 12:16:42 PM EDT
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/05/06/special-forces-training-shuts-down-after-soldier-accidentally-shot-live-ammo-machine-gun.html?amp

All live weapon training for the Army's Special Forces units, and most of the elements that support them, will be shut down for much of this week due to a safety stand-down -- after a soldier was accidentally shot during a training event, the service confirmed to Military.com.
View Quote

Wonder if it's a Baldwin moment?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#2]
Stuff like this happens, sadly.

Had a dude in Infantry Squad/Team live-fire certification get shot in the ass back about a decade or so ago. It normally comes from inexperience, or in this case, complacency and lack of secondary checks.

ETA: There are Ammunition Point procedures and regulations that must be adhered to for safe operations, but running the Ammo Point at a range tends to be a detail not treated particularly serious by those assigned to it. Usually, it turns into a exercise of hand receipt control and not the proper control and safety of ammunition distribution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:29:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#3]
Negligent but it happens. Doesn't make it okay but in a large enough sample fuck ups will occur.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Baldwin didn’t shoot anyone. He only pointed a loaded gun at someone and pulled the trigger.  Somehow the gun functioned correctly and just went off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Baldwin didn’t shoot anyone. He only pointed a loaded gun at someone and pulled the trigger.  Somehow the gun functioned correctly and just went off.
View Quote

Thanks for the correction. I thought they used those blank adapters when using blanks. You know, the yellow things that fit over the barrel?

IDK. I qualified with a .22 at basic. It was still a M16, but it had the adapter kit. 249 out of 260, iirc. Missed the ribbon by one point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks. That thread has much more information than this one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh, It's all fun and games until your unit acquires own ship.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It happens more often than we think.  I was in line at the armory in Okinawa years ago when someone was turning in a M60.  We use to hand weapons over to the armorer in the cage butt first.  Story was the bolt went forward and bang.  I was outside and just heard the bang.   Marine turning the weapon in didn't survive.  I was working guard duty when guys were practicing quick draws in the booth.  Bang into the leg and this was only in one 6 month deployment when we use to carry empty chambers.  I can't image what goes on now.  David
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Are they the only ones professional enough?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Echd:
Negligent but it happens. Doesn't make it okay but in a large enough sample fuck ups will occur.
View Quote

This
Top Top