Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2024 12:01:34 PM EDT
My wife drives a 2013 Sorento with around 160ish-k miles. It has torn CV boots and bushings on the lower control arms that are falling apart.  Right now the tie rods ends, sway bar links, shock/strut are showing their age but still in service.  The question is, if I am going to blow the front apart to do the lower control arms (they come with new ball joints) and the CV shafts (I also need to do pads and rotors), should I do the rest while I am in there? It would be a couple hundred in parts and prob an extra 1-2 hrs per side of my time. Or do I just do what needs done?

While we plan to get her a new car in a couple years, I would just keep her car and drive it myself.

The shop would cost me several+ grand for the full job, the first quote I got for just the lower control arms was $1200.  I can get it done for well less than 1k in parts and then paying for an alignment.  Obviously my time will cost.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If I’m tearing it apart, I’m fixing it all. I try to fix shit so I don’t have to deal with it again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's going to be a couple years before you replace it, just do it all now, other wise when you start driving it that's when it will all go to hell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bmw20:
If I’m tearing it apart, I’m fixing it all. I try to fix shit so I don’t have to deal with it again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it all now while apart
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I needed new leaf springs for an Xterra I had.

Anything I took off I replaced with new.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote to get it done now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have to ask this you probably shouldn't be allowed to touch your own vehicle
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
How willing are you to tear it all apart again in a few months or a year to fix the stuff you didn't get on the first go-around?

That's a question only you can answer.

Personally I find that the disassembly to get the broken parts out is typically the hardest part of the job and I prefer not to do it twice if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
There's no way those components are still good at that mileage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you want to take everything you already have apart now 3 times over ?
I know I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
Do you want to take everything you already have apart now 3 times over ?
I know I wouldn't.
View Quote

Exactly.

If it’s coming apart, it’s getting fixed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I very very rarely do not fix everything I touch when I'm in doing a job. Just pulled a motor to replace it in an F150 and replaced the steering shaft, power steering lines, PS lines, rustproofed the engine bay etc.  

Unless I'm selling it quickly or if it's in great shape, I'll replace/repair while i"m in there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Just do what needs to be done now, when it comes time to put the other stuff on, then you can install the stuff that was leftover/forgot to put on the first time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Do it all and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Do it all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Do it all now.

I told my son to change out the ignition coils when he did my spark plugs.  He didn't.  Guess what shot craps two days later?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't go above and beyond normal maintenance items (like sensors, or wiring connectors), the chinese stuff they're selling now is worse than your used parts.

But I'd 100% do everything maintenance related.  Are the struts and hubs stock?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Do it all at once. My wife's 2001 Cherokee whistled like banshee due to the manifold gasket and leaked oil because, well, Jeep 4 liter. Since I had to pull the intake and exhaust manifold off to replace the one-piece gasket, I did the the oil pan gasket, the rear main seal, the oil filter elbow gasket, and the rocker cover gasket all at once because the engine was completely open anyway.

Thing hasn't leaked a drop of oil in 5 years, it's frightening.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're keeping it, then fix it right.

If keeping less than a year, just fix the broken parts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
If you have to ask this you probably shouldn't be allowed to touch your own vehicle
View Quote

Intardasting....
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Yeah, pretty much.  But sometimes it's good to get confirmation.  Looks like Ill do it all.

We are in the position right now where I can have a 3rd vehicle for here to drive.  So I can clear out some space in the garage and take a couple days to get it done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#24]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
I needed new leaf springs for an Xterra I had.

Anything I took off I replaced with new.
View Quote

Much easier to put new parts back together, and since the old parts are going into the garbage, you’re free to take destructive shortcuts. Like cutting off threaded ends, etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Do it now so you’re not back under your car in 6 months kicking yourself for not doing before.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Di it now, or do it later. If you're already tearing it all apart now, why not just go ahead and replace it all while you have it apart? Otherwise, you know you'll be doing it all again, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Yup. If it's out take care of it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
The 4 most expensive words to car guys are "while you're at it".

Those words can turn a $100 job into a $2k project real fast.  Just weigh the costs and double labor and how long you could expect to kick the can down the road and decide if its worth it.

For your purposes, I would probably end up doing it all at once.  For some of those other "while you're at it" situations, you absolutely could bolt it all back together and ride on the old parts another 30k miles before they need replaced.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#29]
How is this even a question?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#30]
In before the "my time is worth more than money" crowd says, "I just have the dealer replace whatever they say is bad, and whatever fails next time."
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Get it done now. Could be more expensive in the future and require more downtime.
Keep the receipts and place in your folder showing all the maintenance/repairs you've done to help get top dollar when selling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Trade it in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The best plan would be to trade it in; before or after fixing, either way is fine depending how much value you need out of it.

Dumping money into a 160k mile Kia is not my idea of a smart financial decision, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
In before the "my time is worth more than money" crowd says, "I just have the dealer replace whatever they say is bad, and whatever fails next time."
View Quote

My time is valuable and limited, but dropping 4k on repairs for a vehicle worth 6k....that is worth my time to spend a couple of hours a night to work on it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
Get it done now. Could be more expensive in the future and require more downtime.
Keep the receipts and place in your folder showing all the maintenance/repairs you've done to help get top dollar when selling.
View Quote
I just show the potential buyer my door full of RockAuto magnets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I definitely have a bunch of those from vehicles over the years.  But now I buy more from Amazon, A1, and others.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#37]
If I'm tearing it apart, I'm fixing it all. I try to fix shit so I don't have to deal with it again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

My time is valuable and limited, but dropping 4k on repairs for a vehicle worth 6k....that is worth my time to spend a couple of hours a night to work on it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

The math changes when you have back or knee problems.  I was ready to change all of the front end things on my 2008 RAM, and I had all the right tools.  I decided it was not worth the pain.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:16:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H1Mech] [#40]
I’m normally OCD with maintenance. I spent $7k in OEM parts and about a week of personal time off work to overhaul the suspension, A/C, timing belt, cooling system, brakes, etc in my 300k mile LX. But I plan on driving it another 300k miles. I wouldn’t bother throwing money into a Kia that’s over 10 years old and approaching 200k miles. I’d take my dad’s “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” approach and just do the bare minimum as needed.

Just my .02 as a mechanic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I am an EXTREMELY firm believer in doing it once, and doing it right when it comes to auto repairs on a vehicle you intend to keep for any length of time (over 6 months).

The labor of digging into the front end to add in the other parts the second time is probably close to the same as doing the job once.  That reason alone would motivate me to get it all done at one time.     If it was me, it would be my luck that when those other parts finally give up the ghost, I will have OTHER projects that need doing at the same time, and now I am in a rush to get it done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve never regretted doing the “while I’m in there” stuff. The converse isn’t true.

I may have hated it at the time but I feel like it’s the right thing to do and worth it after the fact.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By H1Mech:
I’m normally OCD with maintenance. I spent $7k in OEM parts and about a week of personal time off work to overhaul the suspension, A/C, timing belt, cooling system, brakes, etc in my 300k mile LX. But I plan on driving it another 300k miles. I wouldn’t bother throwing money into a Kia that’s over 10 years old and approaching 200k miles. I’d take my dad’s “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” approach and just do the bare minimum as needed.

Just my .02 as a mechanic.
View Quote

This is really my concern.  This is our 2nd Kia.  The first was a fantastic cost of ownership.  This one I bought new and has been paid for for over 7yrs.

We have the V6 model and not the troubled 4clyinder.  So far this car has been great and the motor and transmission strong.  I don't not want to buy a new car right now.  But I do have back of the mind concerns putting time and money into it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a disposable POS drive the wheels off, then scrap it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#46]

All while you have it apart.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Save yourself the pain of going in again, probably on some cold, rainy, miserable day, with something important you should have been doing.  Do it all now, it will pay you back in labor and headache saved.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Do it all, both sides.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Do it all, no sense in taking it apart again.  Even if you only drive it 30k more miles you will have gotten your money back.  I am doing the exact same thing on my daughter’s car for an exacta $300 the whole front suspension will be rebuilt and I won’t get a call when she is away at school.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top