Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/7/2024 10:49:50 AM EDT
Not looking for specific figures.. Just curious. I work for the county, Been here for almost 20 years.. GF is 13 years younger than me (im 43 this year) and makes more than I do. And will only continue to make more. I am basically capped with the 3-6% cola every year. While she got a 20% raise last year. It will take her 15-20 years to cap out. I guess Im ok with a sugar momma lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I earn roughly 5 times what my wife does.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Long time girlfriend makes about the same or a little more than I do on actual tax returns.

But I own a business so there is lots of other advantages. She’s basically in sales.

On paper she has potential to earn more but she’s happy at 6 figures and not working super hard so in the long run I’ll earn more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:58:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#3]
Wife earns more than me.  Helped her get through college and graduate school. She earns about double my salary, but self employed. I provide benefits.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#4]
90% of the income am I...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife makes more than I do by about 25%.  If I went back to my old line of work (from before we were together) I would make about 30% more than she does.  Neither of us want me to be on the road 10 months out of the year, so I stay in a job that lets me see her every day.  Some things are more important than money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Wife's business grosses more than mine, but I take home b/c I don't buy stupid shit for my business.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#8]
Divorced….I paid 8.7x in federal income tax this year compared to the amount of take home pay she brought in for all the 5 years we were married.

ETA…before y’all think I am some sort of wizard, she never head a full time job after the first year…. . She had a career that she could have made double what I do, she had no ambition.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife earns more than I do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I earn about double what she does. She's not quite at the cap for her position yet, but it wont be too long before she is. OTOH, I have a lot of room in my current career path.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
We are almost exactly 50/50
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Until two years ago, I made about 5 times more than her.

Now she makes all the money. Which has us living paycheck to paycheck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#13]
I make about $175K a year.

Let's just say my partner makes considerably more. Especially this last year now that she owns her own law firm and law academy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scopedope] [#14]
I make double what my wife’s makes. We are both in the top 5% of earners right now. She has more room to grow base pay wise. I’m at the top of the range. But I’m a few years out from retirement.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I make about 60% of our household income.

She has a bachelor's degree. I'm a community college dropout.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Let's just say my partner makes considerably more. Especially this last year now that she owns her own law firm and law academy.
View Quote

If we moved to a bigger city.. GF could be easily make roughly 4-5 times what I make... But I have a daughter who graduates in 2 years so we are staying put... For now
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife has always made more than me.  She had a higher FEP when we got married due to a nursing degree. (Future Earnings Potential). I was in the trades and switched up to a different trade in the AV industry.  Went to work for the State.  She eventually went back to school to become a CRNA.  
Her income is 4X mine before I retired.  

I did 29 years with the state and retired at 59.  On a pension that’s 50% of my pay, (could have been 60%, but I elected the lower option that keeps on paying her until death if I die first)  but I keep health insurance for us until we hit Medicare and then it becomes a supplemental policy.  

She’s on year 14 of her “new career”.  I told her I did 32 years after my career change and she has to do the same.  So she has to work full time until 73.

Yea, that’s not happening.  

Just last week she was talking shit to a friend joking around about my “tiny pension” I’m getting.  Told her to add the $100,000 + in medical bills it just covered for her double mastectomy and reconstruction that’s started and get back with me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:19:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CanaryCamaro] [#18]
Wife and I make a combined $225k. I make about 15% more than her, we both get a 3-5% raise each year.  She’s a nurse, I’m in the DoD arena.

I get larger bonuses than she does and my raises seem to be more than hers. I might go into mgmt which will be roughly a 20% raise for me but I’m still undecided.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#19]
For awhile a made a lot more than my wife.
Then she caught up.
Then she blew past me.
Then I just about caught up.

She probably makes about 6% more than I do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#20]
At times she made more.
At times I made more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Technically I make more than my wife.

As far as potential though, the nod goes to the wife. Stay at home moms that actually do their duties are worth a lot. Cooking, cleaning, child care, any other of the litany of tasks she completes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:21:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Southernman077] [#22]
I make a small bit more now, but she made more before that. I asked my wife to downsize her career a bit to have more home time. Masters degree be damned. No more flights, work laptops at home, and working on vacation, and 10 min commute to work. It was worth it. She was trying to value her life by her job, not by her family. The new grandchild helped.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Early in our relationship and then marriage, my wife earned more than me and then we decided to have children with her staying home. After the kids got to public school each after age 5, she returned to work and really got hosed for taking the time off and since then, we've gone back/forth. Recently, I was being poached by an ex-employer and my current raised me about 30%; it was ridiculous but I'll take it. She recently took a job with a multi-national company and I suspect will get some hefty raises/bonuses with time but it'll be hard to get past my current.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MVolkJ] [#24]
I make about twice what my wife does, and this is unlikely to change (she's a high school teacher).

I could make considerably more if I finished my degree, but I am lazy and don't really want to deal with extra responsibility at this point in my life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I make quite a bit more than her right now, but I maxed out my paygrade and still have at least 11 years to go

My wife could jump to another company and make more than me pretty quickly.  We both agree keeping our youngest out of full time day care is more important than that though so itll be a few years before she makes a change.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Toss up.  But I’d say probably skewed towards her.

If she opens a private practice and a surgery center, or multiple surgery centers and wellness centers - as a plastic surgeon she in theory can.

But owning a large regional business, there’s potential for me there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I earn 100% more than my wifey. Back when she worked decades ago, I made about 5x what she made.
She had a much more important job though after we got married.
She raised the kids and that was a much harder job in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#28]
My pension is more than her paycheck, but she only works 2 days a week now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

If we moved to a bigger city.. GF could be easily make roughly 4-5 times what I make... But I have a daughter who graduates in 2 years so we are staying put... For now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Sugar mommas 4 lyfe!

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife makes more sammitches than me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Me right now…But according to the Dave Ramsey thread….. my wife, a teacher, will be a millionaire!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#32]
The wife is 6 years younger than I am and makes about what I do now...but I am spooling down and she is still climbing the ladder.   At one point, I was earning about 3X what she did.  I suspect next year she will make more than I do, and I am perfectly OK with that.

Its her turn to put some money in the bank until she reaches retirement age... I'm done with the corporate shit-show, but do some consulting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife makes more than twice as much as me and has for many years. I dont really see it as a good thing overall.

She is frequently upset with me about how much money I can make and is extremely critical of me. Even 100k is not enough...

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Wife and it is not even close.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#35]
In an hourly rate comparison based on a 40 hour week earn a little over fifty percent more than her. She is hourly and I am salary.  She is within 20% of the maximum she is likely to find around here.  With my current role and responsibilities I am probably near the top of the scale unless I change employers or get promoted.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CharlesRyan:
My wife makes more than twice as much as me and has for many years. I dont really see it as a good thing overall.

She is frequently upset with me about how much money I can make and is extremely critical of me. Even 100k is not enough...

View Quote

Dude grow some balls. Tell her to shut the fuck up and if she divorces you at least you have your balls back.  Good god the shit that some of you put up with is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I bust my ass so that Mrs. DC2 doesn’t have to work and can focus on our daughter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#38]
My wife makes more than I do, but she has a side hustle.  If she didn’t have that, I would make more.  I need a good side hustle.  We’re the same in potential.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm retired, I currently make more. But my wife just finished her medical related graduate degree this past year. So she has the potential to start making more in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#40]
i own a business and make more than my gf

she has all the benefits tho, sooo...

she'll make about the same as i do when she gets an administrator position at the school she works at.  then i can retire
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#41]
It’s close but I’m salary and she is self employed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BourbonBeast] [#42]
My wife and I make almost the exact same amount of money, we are both about 6-7 years into our careers. However, she needed a masters in her field to earn that, and I only have a bachelors (engineering baby!). I started out at about 40% lower pay than where I am now 6 years ago, and have been promoted / given raises that amount to that 40% since then. In the same time frame her pay has gone up about 15-20%.

She works for the government, so her earnings have less potential compared to mine. She doesn’t get bonuses, or stock options, etc. I work for a private company.

We both turned 30 this year and life is fuckin’ good if I’m being honest with you. Northern Virginia earnings + mortgage at less than 3% all before you’re 30 fuckin rocks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#43]
When my wife was working, she always made more than me, but when you are 1 out of 300 who can do the job, there are perks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:55:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikencp226] [#44]
14.87:1
ETA: average over the last 20 years
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife makes almost 5x what I do.  I used to work in IT and did well but then I decided I wanted to become a nurse.  I make horrible life decisions...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#46]
Wife works part time right now so she can spend a lot of time taking care of our boys.

On an hourly basis, I make 3x what she does. Direct paycheck to paycheck comparison, I make 10x what she does.

Once the boys are older, she is going to try to go back to work full time and we have a few career options in mind. I'll still probably make 2x what she does though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Wife finally officially passed me about a year ago... she is leadership material and moving up pretty quickly, her last two bumps in pay were 20k and 30k, next one will be 30k+ and might come way sooner than I estimated.  I am slowly talking her into letting me be a house husband with a nice hobby fund.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#48]
My wife was making more than double my pay in 2019 after I took a pay cut to work for a startup business with a lot of potential. Wife became stay-at-home-mom in 2022, which was for the best but I've been the sole provider since then and up until late last year finances were getting very tight. My pay has grown to let us live comfortably now and our business makes $10m+ year in revenue and continues to grow. I became a minority equity owner, as well. It was worth the risk we took when we went down this path.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Austin4130] [#49]
I do, and probably will for the next 5-10 years but pretty maxed out in my niche other than potential bonuses.

If she would apply herself more to the managerial route, she could easily make director / VP one day for her large company and probably blow my salary out of the water.

She is pretty set on holding her position/pay level to keep it fairly low stress and do mom/housewife stuff though so we'll see where it goes...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I make roughly 50% more than my wife based on salary alone. She gets performance based quarterly bonuses which varies wildly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top