Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fredegar:
My wife was making more than double my pay in 2019 after I took a pay cut to work for a startup business with a lot of potential. Wife became stay-at-home-mom in 2022, which was for the best but I've been the sole provider since then and up until late last year finances were getting very tight. My pay has grown to let us live comfortably now and our business makes $10m+ year in revenue and continues to grow. I became a minority equity owner, as well. It was worth the risk we took when we went down this path.
View Quote

Fuck yeah dude, glad it paid off!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife makes about double what I do.

I'm no slouch, my income is pretty damn good for my area, and very very stable. Her career just has a much higher ceiling, and she kicks ass at it. Combined we're like 95th percentile household income, and still have plenty of our careers left.

We structured our life to be able to make ends meet on my income though. We'd definitely need to make some major cuts, but we'd be able to keep the house, keep the lights on, and keep food on the table, if push came to shove. So we joke that her income is just a very nice bonus that allows us to live more than comfortable, and still be socking it away for early retirement.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife will always have better potential because she is brilliant.

Her salary is about 20% over mine.

When I ran my own business, we made roughly the same but I was working 30+ more hours
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife makes about 20% more than I do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
We both have the same job title and years of experience.  She has a better work ethic, but I know how to do some things she doesn't.  We're pretty closely matched, but she could earn more by working nights and weekends that I don't want to work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
I make about $175K a year.

Let's just say my partner makes considerably more. Especially this last year now that she owns her own law firm and law academy.
View Quote
Jesus.  I think I do ok in life then yall make me feel dirt poor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
About $17,000-18,000 more than she does. She is a nurse
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The stock and larger bonus are what really pushes my wife past me.  Doesn't really matter, we're a team.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread has a serious lean, in that far more guys say their wife makes more than them.  I wonder what that means or says.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife. She’s a dentist and I was a teacher. I’m a millionaire now and retired but she’s still working.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
This thread has a serious lean, in that far more guys say their wife makes more than them.  I wonder what that means or says.
View Quote

I outkicked my coverage when landing the GF.. Im a once divorced moron who heads the probation dept for the county.. She is a highly intelligent attorney who works for the state.. And could easily transition to a much higher salary if she wanted.. But she currently likes locking criminals up... I think this thread shows that alot of guys were graced by gods hands in relation to landing their women lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I make just a bit more than my wife on the whole. She's in commercial energy sales and her base is well below mine, but she kicks ass, and her commission largely makes up the difference. I'd say on any given year, she could make +/- $10k from my salary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish that she made more than me.

When I was busting my ass getting an education and building a career, she was playing at life.  She has no education beyond barely graduating high school, and no appreciable skills.

I was young and stupid when we met, and chose poorly.  FML
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#14]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

I outkicked my coverage when landing the GF.. Im a once divorced moron who heads the probation dept for the county.. She is a highly intelligent attorney who works for the state.. And could easily transition to a much higher salary if she wanted.. But she currently likes locking criminals up... I think this thread shows that alot of guys were graced by gods hands in relation to landing their women lol
View Quote
I see the opposite honestly.  Competition is good but in this thread, it is not a healthy spread. "We" are getting our asses kicked.  I am sure that says something not good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I make three times what my wife does but she’s a local government employee so she gets to retire at 51. I on the other hand will be working until at least 60 depending on the market
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#16]
I met my wife when I was a poor young jarhead.  She owned her own 3/4 ton truck and her own V-8 street rod.  She was wealthy in my young opinion and had a great job.

Within a few years I was making more than her and ended up making almost triple at the time she retired.  Funny how things work out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to make 5-6 times more, now I make 20 times more.   She’s a great wife, I’m a good earner.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife and I both work for the same organization but she's a level above me and makes about 20% more in salary than I do. However, if I add in my mil retirement and VA, I make 40% more than she does, bottom line.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I see the opposite honestly.  Competition is good but in this thread, it is not a healthy spread. "We" are getting our asses kicked.  I am sure that says something not good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

I wouldn't say I'm getting my ass kicked.

I'm very happy with my level of income, and I enjoy my work. I could provide for both of us if I needed to. And very much faced that possibility when she left her old firm a couple years ago to start her own practice.

She enjoys her work and practicing the new areas of law opening up in crypto, AI, internet privacy, etc. It just happens to also pay quite well.

Not seeing an issue here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Wife's a teacher. She has all the degrees and seniority, so she's effectively capped. I make around 50% more than she does (if you annualize her salary.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#21]
To give you an idea, my wife went part time three years before she retired.  That matched my police salary at MY retirement.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm very happy with my level of income, and I enjoy my work. I could provide for both of us if I needed to. And very much faced that possibility when she left her old firm a couple years ago to start her own practice.

She enjoys her work and practicing the new areas of law opening up in crypto, AI, internet privacy, etc. It just happens to also pay quite well.

View Quote
You don't see a pattern in this thread?  That pattern of instead at least being equal, most responses saying their wife makes more than them, at least a thing of interest if not concern about...why?

I do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
You don't see a pattern in this thread?  That pattern of instead at least being equal, most responses saying their wife makes more than them, at least a thing of interest if not concern about...why?

I do.
View All Quotes

I do.

I see my partner and I as equals. Not sure what to tell you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Base vs base I make a little more than double. With my ot and her commission bonuses I made about triple. She’s new with the company, won rookie sales associate of the year last year, she has potential to make a lot of money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
She had a career that she could have made double what I do, she had no ambition.
View Quote
I think I married your ex.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#26]

View Quote
Yet in terms of your income, you are not.  That's the actual reality of it. You are seeing something that is not true.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting question.

My wife got started into her educational career late as I was doing the military thing. Now that I’m retired, but working a military contractor gig, she’s been steadily moving up and is currently an assistant principal and about a year out from completing her doctorate. She makes less, but much, much more potential down the road. She's about 8-9 years from where she could retire (and do something different if she wants).

That said, I joke (well, it’s actually true) that my wife, soon to have her doctorate, easily works twice as hard as me and makes only half as much as me. I’m still milking my former potential!

ROCK6  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Wife unit makes about twice what I do.  Wouldn't be surprised if she ends up making 3x more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I make more hourly. She makes more yearly because she puts in more time than I do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife makes more than I do.  I might have the potential to earn more but I already put in too many hours at the shop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I make more and probably have more potential , unless she decides to go full bore on a OF job!

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
When we first got together, I was an E3 and she worked for a brokerage firm in Manhattan, you can guess who made insane amounts of money out of the two

Fast forward, I am now an SME/consultant in a very specialized field, I do alright.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#33]
My S/O and I are both electricians,
and because we've bonded,
I'd say we have equal potential.

(Cue pirate chimpanzee drum meme)

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#34]
Yet in terms of your income, you are not.  That's the actual reality of it. You are seeing something that is not true.  
View All Quotes

I'm also going to be getting a pension for the rest of my life and have health insurance covered. She will not. Who cares.

Why be so concerned about money when comparing people?

ETA: I am happy with my success and level of income. Why should I even care what she makes?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife works for a pharmaceutical company.
Makes 3x what I make as a firefighter. If you include her bonus and share option it’s 4x what I make.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Current fwb is 10 years younger, makes about the same as me (same job).

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]

I do.
View Quote

As I said earlier, my wife makes about 6% more than I do.  

Her potential is also higher because she is younger than me, and far more driven (she sometimes bites off more than she can chew).

But it is all situational.
Both of our base salaries are +$100K, and since we are a team, good for her.   I would prefer she not continue to try to advance because it means more hours and stress.  You get to a point where an additional $15K a year for a promotion isn't worth it.   Heck, there is a position opening up that I would be really qualified for, would be a promotion, and would shoot me past my wife salary wise.  I probably won't apply for it.  Not worth the stress.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#38]

I'm also going to be getting a pension for the rest of my life and have health insurance covered. She will not. Who cares.

ETA: I am happy with my success and level of income. Why should I even care what she makes?
View Quote
If you don't care, then you don't.  But...that is the exact topic of this thread. So we are gonna talk about it in here.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#39]
If you don't care, then you don't.  But...that is the exact topic of this thread. So we are gonna talk about it in here.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I mean more of... why should I be concerned, worried, or insecure about what she makes, if I'm content with what I make?

Am I somehow less of a person because someone else makes more money than I do.

I hope that makes sense, lol.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#40]

Yeah, I mean more of... why should I be concerned, worried, or insecure about what she makes, If I'm content with what I make?

I hope taht makes sense, lol.
View Quote

Traditionally there is a "glass ceiling" in which males have generally made more than females in the work place. Based on this thread at least...that has not equalized. It has become unequal, in the other direction.

It's certainly interesting information. I think it's a little strange to ask why care about that.

If things were the other way and you said "why care that men make more than women", you would be crucified on social media....  I think it's most certainly fair or understandable to care...when the case is the opposite, too.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Traditionally there is a "glass ceiling" in which males have generally made more than females in the work place. Based on this thread at least...that has not equalized. It has become unequal, in the other direction.

It's certainly interesting information. I think it's a little strange to ask why care about that.

If things were the other way and you said "why care that men make more than women", you would be crucified on social media....  I think it's most certainly fair or understand able to care...when the case is the opposite, too.

View All Quotes

Yeah, I mean more of... why should I be concerned, worried, or insecure about what she makes, If I'm content with what I make?

I hope taht makes sense, lol.

If things were the other way and you said "why care that men make more than women", you would be crucified on social media....  I think it's most certainly fair or understand able to care...when the case is the opposite, too.

In this particular case, I just see it as, in general, attorneys make more than engineers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#42]

In this particular case, I just see it as, in general, attorneys make more than engineers.
View Quote
I agree with you but your data is not alone.  My post and point, was that there seems to be a pattern in this thread.  You are one of many.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I make many times more money than my wife.  I work, she stays at home and raises our children.

I would further argue that her job is both more demanding and more important than mine.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Wife doesn't work, but stays home to homeschool our 3 kids. What I make is what we have.

She has worked and excelled in client relations and management type roles so even though I have certifications and a time-in-the-field advantage, I think she has the potential to surpass me quickly if she decided to pursue such a position.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I bring in 100% of our income.  Wife used to do lots of volunteer work but I have always been the income generator.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
My wife earns more than I do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I mad $400 a year more than her before overtime after overtime I was like $25000 more than her.

Now my base is $4000 a year higher than her.

We do all right.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Wage gap not adding up in this thread.  I need to talk to Rachael Maddow about this one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#49]
Our base pay is within 6% of each other and she just recently started making more base than I do in the last two months.

I'm an engineer(in sales) and she's an attorney(works for the state, yay).

I'm eligible for a 40% bonus yearly and typically hit that number so I make more after bonus.

She just made director level and I'm hoping after a few more years of saving the world she'll go in house council somewhere and they will pay for us to have a country club membership...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I currently make more. She could be making a lot more, but she went part time to be SAHM. Her mom retires next spring, then its off to the races...
Page / 3
Top Top