Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Can you please point me to a highly depreciated C8?
View Quote

Historically the last few generations of corvette do plummet and don’t generally hold their value well. It’s an overproduced car not a true limited production run. Will the C8 be different? Not sure yet the market hasn’t spoken. The other reason I didn’t get a Z06 when I bought my Viper was that I didn’t want a car I saw everywhere, and was known for the value dropping off sharply.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

Disagree. Your statement is flat out wrong.

Now that if you said  

You're not taking a modern supercar anywhere near its limits legally on the street no matter what transmission it has in it.

Some people out there do push the limits of what their cars are capable on the highway. Just because you're afraid to doesn't mean others are. Example. The cannon ball run record holders.
View Quote
Even that, most roads don't provide the opportunity to approach the limits, legally or not. The differences between paddles and stick show up in the 1/4 and on very technical road courses that require a lot of shifting.  With clean aggressive surfaces well maintained surfaces.

Most roads aren't that. A cannon ball deal is speed, but no way you'd be stretching the limits of a Z06 and not die.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
OP and his pals

https://www.corvsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Old-2.jpg
View Quote

AI hands make me sad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Silas:
No manual, no thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No manual, no thanks.

Originally Posted By Veprk762:
It has manual mode.  

Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:
Paddles are not the same as a third pedal and a stick.

Originally Posted By Hyperformer:
You’re right, it’s slower.

You're wrong.  Like, really, really, stupidly wrong.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Now that if you said…

You're not taking a modern supercar anywhere near its limits legally on the street no matter what transmission it has in it.

Some people out there do push the limits of what their cars are capable on the highway. Just because you’re afraid to doesn’t mean others are. Example. The cannon ball run record holders.
View Quote

How about he changes it to "You're stupid if you take a modern supercar anywhere near its limits on the street no matter what transmission it has in it.".  Will that work for you?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Old school manuals are fun to drive, but not competitive anymore against modern auto's and DCT's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Historically the last few generations of corvette do plummet and don’t generally hold their value well. It’s an overproduced car not a true limited production run. Will the C8 be different? Not sure yet the market hasn’t spoken. The other reason I didn’t get a Z06 when I bought my Viper was that I didn’t want a car I saw everywhere, and was known for the value dropping off sharply.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:
Can you please point me to a highly depreciated C8?

Interesting. I am old enough that by the time a C8 falls enough to be within my grasp, I may no longer be driving. For the record, I do not own white sneakers or jean shorts.

I am also not sure about how the used car market is going to shape up anymore. I play at looking at used C7 Corvettes and have noticed a little softening, but not a whole heck of a lot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#8]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Even that, most roads don't provide the opportunity to approach the limits, legally or not. The differences between paddles and stick show up in the 1/4 and on very technical road courses that require a lot of shifting.  With clean aggressive surfaces well maintained surfaces.

Most roads aren't that.
A cannon ball deal is speed, but no way you'd be stretching the limits of a Z06 and not die.
View Quote

Since buying my C5, I have noticed this a lot.  Very few roads around me are smooth enough to really open it up.  A mundane bump at 75 mph can unsettle the car at 120 mph.  

After I pay off my C5, I'll look at the used market for C7s or C8s.  I bought my C5 b/c it was inexpensive, had low miles (43k), and got good gas mileage (29 mpg).  I assumed it would be fun to drive, but didn't realize how much fun.  My commute to and from work is not just bearable, but fun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Vette hates are always drawn to these threads.

I had a C7 I bought when I got back from Kuwait a long time ago. I trusted that car and beat some guys with much more expensive machines. I'd love to have one of these newer vettes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OUSooner:

And I'll still choose the manual 10 out of 10 times.
View Quote

What manual are you currently driving?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
As a multiple Z06 owner, I approve of this thread!   I'm on a list for a C8Z, just waiting my turn.  Won't do the ADM thing

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
Old school manuals are fun to drive, but not competitive anymore against modern auto's and DCT's.
View Quote

True, but many like myself are not looking to be competitive, just have fun driving a sports car. Manual trans is a must-have for me in a sports car. Been shopping C5, C6 and C7 manuals for a while now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kcobean:
As a multiple Z06 owner, I approve of this thread!   I'm on a list for a C8Z, just waiting my turn.  Won't do the ADM thing

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_7354_jpg-3207149.JPG
View Quote
That C7 is

It's also a monster
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:

I agree. The Cobra and Ford GT40 after.

I’d buy a 911 first, but, I did get white NB’s for Christmas…
View Quote

Cobra was produced in UK, modified by Shelby

Original GT40's made in UK and modified by Shelby.  Modern GT40's produced in Canada
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
They look good but $150k for a Corvette is wayyy too much money. The depreciation on that versus like a Porsche is akin to lighting money on fire.
View Quote

That hasn't proven true on Z06's.  They hold their value quite well, actually.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By D_J:

This may be the dumbest "car fact" ever posted on arfcom.
View Quote
My 7500 lb truck must be as stable as all hell
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Now that if you said…

Some people out there do push the limits of what their cars are capable on the highway. Just because you’re afraid to doesn’t mean others are. Example. The cannon ball run record holders.
View Quote

He's not wrong. Even Brock Yates saw how advancing performance was getting seriously unsafe and quit the cannonball, and that was decades ago. Modern supercars? You've got to be kidding. The only performance metric you might get near is top speed on a long, straight, remote road with great pavement. You ain't getting even remotely close in any other metric, especially cornering. There are damn few drivers that could get that to the real limit on a track, and no most of you guys here can't. Trained track drivers with some experience might, without that not a chance. A C8 Z06 can't be driven at the limit on the street, its limits are just way too high for that. Folks need to stop with this nonsense and get back to reality.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762SR25] [#21]

View Quote

Who the hell buys a new car as an investment?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

Why have an obsolete transmission to make a Supercar go slower?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:
No manual, no thanks.

Why have an obsolete transmission to make a Supercar go slower?

yes shifting is slower than modern twin clutches. and yes its what f1 racecars use. but some like the simplicity and old-skool of a clutched car. i mean the potential of a z06 is completely lost until you hit a racetrack. if i bought a c8 and you could get it with a clutch i absolutely would go that route. sure you could beat me with your twin-clutch with cars like these its about the experience, not the technology.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#23]
Originally Posted By D_J:

99% of the world can't exploit the limits of a supercar whether it has a manual or PDK/DCT transmission.
View Quote

Truth. People talk a big game, until you ask them the last time they were on a racetrack and they reply with some dumb shit like there are too many rules and they really opened 'er up on the county road and take the corners at double the advisory speed signs.

Last week I got to drive a 992 GT3, C8, McLaren 570 GT4 and Ferrari 488 Challenge car on a racetrack.  Talk about a little over my head.... all of them will go faster around the track than a average novice Joe (Me) can process and stick to the racing line.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
as a corvette owner. as well as EV,

I'm disappointed in the Z06

150K for a car that can BARELY beat a model 3 performance (40k$). and forget about a plaid its a full second faster. (80k$)

Corvette sounds/looks/feels better I know but c'mon. At the end of the day your buying it because its supposed to be FAST , no different than buying a hellcat was suppose to be. yet a 40k$ family sedan is faster?

I'm losing faith in ICE
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I wish I'd kept my 2009 ACR, but I got the competitive shooting bug and it was just sitting in my garage.  I should have let it sit there because they're worth more today than they cost new.  That said, I love my Z06 and all the refinement.  You don't see Z06's all that often and i think we'll see even fewer C8Z's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Carpangler:

150K for a car that can BARELY beat a model 3 performance (40k$). and forget about a plaid its a full second faster. (80k$)

Corvette sounds/looks/feels better I know but c'mon. At the end of the day your buying it because its supposed to be FAST , no different than buying a hellcat was suppose to be. yet a 40k$ family sedan is faster?

I'm losing faith in ICE
View Quote
Yeah, if this isn't a troll...

Try hustling a model 3 around corners.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kcobean:

I wish I'd kept my 2009 ACR, but I got the competitive shooting bug and it was just sitting in my garage.  I should have let it sit there because they're worth more today than they cost new.  That said, I love my Z06 and all the refinement.  You don't see Z06's all that often and i think we'll see even fewer C8Z's.
View Quote
Yeah ACRs were a special car. I wouldn't want one, but I wouldn't mind getting to drive one once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm losing faith in ICE
View Quote

lolwut?  The list of cars that the C8Z can't beat is short, especially when the steering wheel is involved.  Yeah the plaid is faster, but Teslas are soulless crap.  You can buy a no-option 1LZ coupe for around $110k, so Bang for the Buck there is no better car out there than a C8Z.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Yeah, if this isn't a troll...

Try hustling a model 3 around corners.
View Quote

sure sure i get it. its a better track car.

99.9% of corvettes never see a track.

on the streets you aren't "bussin corners" your at a red light and look over and see Karen in her Model X with her 5 kids blow your doors off when it goes green.

But yes. the corvette takes corners faster lol GG
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm too old; and I don't like going fast anymore.

Very cool car.

At this stage in my life, I'd rather get an LC500 for that money.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm losing faith in ICE
View Quote

Have fun driving your hair dryer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Very cool car OP.  I hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

I think a lot of people (not saying you) don't understand driving a car truly fast is not that easy if you don't do it all the time.  Example below.  Whoever signed off on letting that jackass in the vette drive by himself needs kicked in the nuts:

Your Typical Corvette Driver at a Track Day [Subaru BRZ POV @ Pocono Raceway]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By injun-ear:
I'm too old; and I don't like going fast anymore.

Very cool car.

At this stage in my life, I'd rather get an LC500 for that money.
View Quote

The LC500 is an amazing car. No, it's not really fast, but who cares? It's gorgeous, the cabin is ridiculously plush and comfy, and the V8 sounds glorious.

The ones they did in Structural Blue are just jaw-droppingly beautiful cars.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#34]

sure sure i get it. its a better track car.

99.9% of corvettes never see a track.

on the streets you aren't "bussin corners" your at a red light and look over and see Karen in her Model X with her 5 kids blow your doors off when it goes green.

But yes. the corvette takes corners faster lol GG
View Quote
Listen Dom, I know it's all ride or die on the way home from the store...but people that love cars aren't all the stop light to stop light crowd
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#35]
Originally Posted By 762SR25:

Who the hell buys a new car as an investment?
View Quote

Porsche GT, Ferrari and Lamborghini owners would like to have a chat with you.

Some new cars go up. But you have to have the bigger money to and know what you’re doing.

I also know a handful of used cars that have gone up considerably. NSX and Vipers have had a pretty good rise.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#36]

I'm losing faith in ICE
View Quote

I see you're in Virginia. If you actually own a Corvette and an EV, and aren't just using Daddy's computer when he's not around, get your ass to VIR. You'll see which car is faster. Spend a few hours learning how to drive, really drive, and you won't be worrying about Karen and her kids and her model 3.

Better yet, start with one of these.

Attachment Attached File

After a year of learning, you might just appreciate the Vette and what it's capable of doing (assuming it's a C4 or later model).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Life is short and your golden years are going to be flying by.
I woke up in a hospital bed in 2021 and when I got out, I went to my local Chevrolet dealership and got on the waiting list in June of'22.
While you folks are complaining about the cost, resale value , stick shifts and everything else, I am driving My 2023 C-8 LT2 Z-51 Coupe.
I am going to be 62 this Summer and I'll wear white tennis shoes and jean shorts every day if I want to.
If you really want to check out an amazing car, Corvette C-8 is the ticket and the Z-06 is the ultimate USA supercar by far.
I went to Kentucky and drove Mine home last year, best thing I have done in a very long time.
Go get your 'Vette, they are more high performance than most people realize.
I have 5,000 miles on mine and it is a truly amazing car.
The American workers in Bowling Green are doing Gods work producing a C-8 every 8 minutes, I stood there and saw it happen before My very eyes.
Go get one, do it now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jettcity1:
Life is short and your golden years are going to be flying by.
I woke up in a hospital bed in 2021 and when I got out, I went to my local Chevrolet dealership and got on the waiting list in June of'22.
While you folks are complaining about the cost, resale value , stick shifts and everything else, I am driving My 2023 C-8 LT2 Z-51 Coupe.
I am going to be 62 this Summer and I'll wear white tennis shoes and jean shorts every day if I want to.
If you really want to check out an amazing car, Corvette C-8 is the ticket and the Z-06 is the ultimate USA supercar by far.
I went to Kentucky and drove Mine home last year, best thing I have done in a very long time.
Go get your 'Vette, they are more high performance than most people realize.
I have 5,000 miles on mine and it is a truly amazing car.
The American workers in Bowling Green are doing Gods work producing a C-8 every 8 minutes, I stood there and saw it happen before My very eyes.
Go get one, do it now.
View Quote

You are a Smart Man.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#39]

With a clutch?
View All Quotes
No manual, no thanks.

It has manual mode.

With a clutch?

Two, actually.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I think at its price point there's nothing out there better than the C8 let alone, Z06 version.

With that being said, even though I can afford one, I cannot buy one. I do not think I would have a drivers license very long. I am admitting I have no self control.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#41]
No manual, no thanks.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#42]

When I win the lotto, I won't tell anyone but there will be signs...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gtdhw] [#43]
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:

It's fucking retarded but this is GD.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:
Originally Posted By Square66:
It’s amazing the lengths people will go to in order to justify why handicapping a new car with a manual transmission is somehow a good idea.

It's fucking retarded but this is GD.

If I was looking to buy a supercar for a nice weather/weekend tootle-around car, I’d 100% want to be able to “drive” that machine, not be pulled around in it. Those faster auto shifts mean jack shit unless one is actually a track used car (when yeah, auto is king). Just like most bro-dozers never leave the pavement, the high majority of supercars are sunny-day low mile cars bought, owned, & sold for collector investment only. For those low miles of street time, I would only consider manual. Auto in a car like that, would just be beyond boring cruising around in IMO. I would never even entertain the thought of owning an automatic fast car, unless it had track purposes. Which is also why I like older manuals. Every newer one that I’ve driven is so nanny-assisted that it might as well be an auto.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

I guess you are ignoring the Ford Gt in 2 generations
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I consider it the first real American production supercar.  It's badass.

My first thought....totally ignoring the Ford GT.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I am.  Because they are fuckin ugly.
View All Quotes

I am.  Because they are fuckin ugly.

Lol...supermarket is defined by performance, not your subjective view of looks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#46]

With a clutch?
View All Quotes
No manual, no thanks.

It has manual mode.

With a clutch?

It has 2, actually. It's a DCT, think of it as an electronically operated manual. For performance, it's far superior. If you want a Sunday car to row through the gears on the parkway and act sporty, probably not the car for you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:14:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#48]
The amount of fucking candy ass liberals on here is astounding. Absolutely astounding.

“If I had a car like that I wouldn’t have my license for long”

Jesus fucking Christ. Do you have zero intellect or ability to drive? You literally sound like the neomarxist liberal. “If I had a gun I’d end up shooting people.” Or. “There’s going to be blood in the streets” you sissy’s should go out on your man thing and sit infront of a gloryhole in a random gay bar men’s room and go for a new record.

Even the best supercar you can enjoy the insane 0-60 with out issue. It’s almost as bad as you anti gun people who want to measure every gun as if you’re an ATF informant. Fuck the ATF, fuck Joe Biden and fuck anyone who supports communism and is anti freedom.

Burn rubber, shoot machine guns, fuck your woman like your a god and celebrate who you could be. Not the candyass that you are, we all know you’re nothing till you do something spectacular. Open a bottle of premium scotch. Quit being poor. Buy a new car, then bang your woman over the hood of it. Without a condom as God intended. Celebrate life. Attend a APC hike. Shoot 1000 yards and learn to be proficient. No one starts perfect. We get there with practice. Raise good children. If you have no children. Be the freedom loving roll model to kids that need one.

If you don’t chew big red gum… well. You know the rest.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I consider it the first real American production supercar.  It's badass.
View Quote

What would you consider the Ford GT to be?
Page / 5
Top Top