User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#1]
OP's your title is ... confusing.

I think you meant:

Gen Z complains that companies expect premium performance for min wage pay
---------------------
ETA: I guess the parents of the person who put the video up never bothered to tell them that minimum wage jobs are hard and require you to bust your butt off.

That's how starter jobs ARE.

You don't have anything of high value that's rare to offer, so you have to make up for it with other things... like working obscenely hard and always being there.

We are failing at teaching our kids basic life lessons.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
From my experience, if you bust your ass and show initiative and prove yourself, you get promoted to better paying jobs.
Gen Z thinks they get to come in the door and be senior management on day 1.
View Quote

I've personally experienced the exact opposite. Outwork everyone only to watch nepotism or DEI unfold.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#3]
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

I've personally experienced the exact opposite. Outwork everyone only to watch nepotism or DEI unfold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hostile1:
From my experience, if you bust your ass and show initiative and prove yourself, you get promoted to better paying jobs.

Both things happen.

When things are working normally and as they should, those who work the hardest tend to move up. Hard work and competence usually equates to advancing.

When the people running the place are corrupt, the stuff you mentioned happens.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
$7.25 an hour is not a survivable wage in 2024.
View All Quotes

so don't be a bagger at a grocery store.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:

Back in my day min wage jobs were NOT meant to be survivable.  I work those jobs a a high schooler and in college to get extra money. I got an education and then got paid a living wage which got better over the years as I become more worth it.   What kind of absolute moron thinks slinging burgers should be a wage that gets you a house and you can raise kids on?  
View Quote
I didn't say a house and kids. I said survivable. $7.25 an hour isn't enough to afford food, a car payment, and split rent and utilities with a roommate, which is the bare minimum you need to function without having any savings for upwards mobility or a retirement fund.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:

I’m not living high on the hog at $57 per hour…
View Quote

I don’t eat pork.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Boomas should be billed by the hour by their company for every user error IT call they make
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Not my experience.

Dipshits get promoted, workers are kept in their position to actually get shit done. Best example was this dingus from california that was the epitome of “Those who cannot do, teach.” Complete friggin’ idiot, promoted all the way up to superintendent, relying entirely on the expertise of the foremen to get there.

Retards in the office bring in new people from outside to fill upper management positions rather than promoting from within, and they specifically hire the rejects from other companies.

When the CEO retired, they brought in some other jackass from california to run the place, and that MBA fucktard has nickle and dimed the place half to death.

It’s a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#10]
Originally Posted By JMD:

In my experience if you bust your ass, show initiative  and prove yourself to the right people you get better paying jobs or promotions

If you aren’t seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

I am a gen x and that has been my experience in both private and public sector.
View All Quotes

In my experience if you bust your ass, show initiative  and prove yourself to the right people you get better paying jobs or promotions

If you aren’t seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

Saw this alot..................if you had a sponsor, or knew someone, or kissed the right ass then you were golden.............otherwise you arent going anywhere
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Now days many companies just see that you bust your ass for the shit they pay and keep using you that way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
The whole idea of “stick with the company and get promoted to earn more” has been complete bs in my experience. The only meaningful way my income has increased has been jumping companies every couple years.
View Quote

@eagarminuteman

Huh, I guess I'm not surprised to see you here.

That's been my experience as well. I think it's getting close to time for me to bounce.

-AB
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Now days many companies just see that you bust your ass for the      they pay and keep using you that way.
View All Quotes
Now days many companies just see that you bust your ass for the      they pay and keep using you that way.
That's not new.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Not my experience.

Dipshits get promoted, workers are kept in their position to actually get shit done. Best example was this dingus from california that was the epitome of “Those who cannot do, teach.” Complete friggin’ idiot, promoted all the way up to superintendent, relying entirely on the expertise of the foremen to get there.

Retards in the office bring in new people from outside to fill upper management positions rather than promoting from within, and they specifically hire the rejects from other companies.

When the CEO retired, they brought in some other jackass from california to run the place, and that MBA fucktard has nickle and dimed the place half to death.

It’s a fucking joke.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

The only time I made minimum wage was when I was a teenager living at home with my parents working my first job.  Minimum wage jobs aren’t for people trying to run a household.  It’s for kids first starting out and maybe bored retirees who just want something to do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:31:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoonerBorn] [#17]

If you aren't seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

View Quote
Networking has always been the top reason you get paid more than your peers.  Hard work helps though.  The more intelligent younger workers have realized this but aren't sticking with the same company, they are switching every few years and getting paid more each time mostly at a much higher rate than if they stayed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

It used to be that way but now you have to leave and go to a new company to be promoted. My brother once quit a job for lack of a promised promotion and they were shocked at how expensive replacing him was. Oops.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

It used to be that way but now you have to leave and go to a new company to be promoted. My brother once quit a job for lack of a promised promotion and they were shocked at how expensive replacing him was. Oops.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

I really wonder what changed to make things this way.

Having to hire outside is risky and expensive and you never really know what you're going to get, something has to have come in to make these places percive that the risks are worth it.

Have a friend that's an electrician and he reports the same thing to me - nobody advances. You have to quit and go to another place to advance.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
fuck no.
View Quote

Yeah but I can hope. Speaking of, picked up mah new steel toe boots for the mine on Monday. Damn boots cost too much.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By macman37:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

These days I think you would have to negotiate your wage DOWN to get $7.25 as a bagger.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

The only time I made minimum wage was when I was a teenager living at home with my parents working my first job.  Minimum wage jobs aren't for people trying to run a household.  It's for kids first starting out and maybe bored retirees who just want something to do.
View Quote
You don't get to decide that, the market does. Boomers will have heart attacks when Trump deports the 20 million and burger flippers make $20 an hour.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I didn't say a house and kids. I said survivable. $7.25 an hour isn't enough to afford food, a car payment, and split rent and utilities with a roommate, which is the bare minimum you need to function without having any savings for upwards mobility or a retirement fund.
View Quote

In spite of what our many basement dwelling members believe, taking public transportation is still survivable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#24]
The whole idea of “stick with the company and get promoted to earn more” has been complete bs in my experience. The only meaningful way my income has increased has been jumping companies every couple years.
View Quote

This.  Hell even in government the best way to move up is switching to other agencies/departments.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Gen Zers I know all got six figure jobs out of the military in their 20s.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:13:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CTYC313] [#27]
Originally Posted By migradog:

And AI will make those taking the orders for the burger flippers obsolete.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

The only time I made minimum wage was when I was a teenager living at home with my parents working my first job.  Minimum wage jobs aren't for people trying to run a household.  It's for kids first starting out and maybe bored retirees who just want something to do.
You don't get to decide that, the market does. Boomers will have heart attacks when Trump deports the 20 million and burger flippers make $20 an hour.

And robots will make most of the flippers obsolete soon enough considering they're making about that much already.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

Most places I've worked at busting your ass and proving yourself just meant more work. Promotion was typically unrelated to busting your ass. Just because someone is a hard worker doesn't mean they're management material, and in many cases that's the only path for increased pay.
View Quote
The fastest way to a raise is usually quitting your job for a better paying one.  The shop I work at now is the only shop I have ever worked at that just keeps giving me raises for doing a good job so I continue to do my best. If they stopped giving me raises and the cost of living keeps going up and someone else is offering more I'll leave if they won't give me a raise.

What most people don't realize is they are fucking themselves living check to check.  Yes you should enjoy life but not until you have at least six months to a year of savings.   Once you have that you can quit a job whenever you feel like it to upgrade without worry.  If you don't like the new place you can quit again.

Tons of people I have known in life always spent before saving and were unable to risk a few weeks with thout pay going for a new job or too scared to demand a raise with an ultimatum because they would be in deep shit if fired.    

If you have no savings deliver pizza on weekends and nights for a few months and get some savings so you can take risks for more income.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
That's up to consumers. I can imagine possible backlash to it. Certain crowds want a physical person they can bitch at.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Cush?  Really?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376732/IMG_2984_jpeg-3207138.JPG
View Quote

A lot of people fall i to that trap.  Poor suckers.  Never were taught "To the talent, the tools"
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:20:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

This.  Hell even in government the best way to move up is switching to other agencies/departments.
View Quote

This is correct.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Now days many companies just see that you bust your ass for the shit they pay and keep using you that way.
View Quote

Correct. I've worked while sick, and done 7 days a week or more. It got me a thanks, yet I still get eyerolls when I skin out of work early on a Friday.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

If you're a mid 20's Gen Z making $7.25 an hour, your income wage isn't your problem.

That minimum wage is for the enterprising young high school kid doing the high school work programs earning money at a local Chick-fil-A learning the basics of worth ethics, customer service, and how to be a responsible employee, maybe even prove your value by getting into a supervisory role. Hell, one young student from my wife's old school earned Chick-fil-A's scholarship, joined the National Guard, attended a nearby junior college/military academy, got her ARNG commission, and accepted into a nursing-degree program.

The minimum wage is only minimum if you're life goals are stuck on "minimal".

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Minimum wage laws only introduce an artificial price floor, but even if it were abolished now, you would find practically no workers willing to show up for less than $7.25, outside of border hoppers maybe.
View Quote

And why is that? It's called taxpayer subsidies and handouts from the government creating an artificial sense of self-worth. Take that shit away where people have to work for dinner, they'll get off their ass. It's only minimum wage for minimum (very young, unskilled) effort and many are too damn lazy and spoiled to even put in the minimum effort.

I say this as a one who grew up in a migrant, Hispanic community working as young as 14 years old in the fields alongside them and later in warehouses all through high school and drying hops in the summer during college breaks. Get off your ass, prove your value in your performance and dependability, and then start talking about your wage rate.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#35]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:44:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#36]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

I really wonder what changed to make things this way.
View Quote

Me too,

I would guess it often has to do with the fact that management does not actually make the company money, just optimizes the normal output.

If you want to take any risk with hiring outside employees, you have less of a chance of going under (in the short term) from shit management then you do having a void in actual production.

Obviously in the long run a company is going to be more successful if they hire knowledgeable employees internally, but somewhere around the 90's our country moved away from the focus on physical gdp production and shifted more into investment and speculation gdp.

Because of this many companies now focus on being productive on a quarterly basis to make sure their stock price does not drop. And that does not even encompass the problem of massive company mergers crushing competition over the years and forcing a unitary management state that does nothing but loot and pillage the middle class.

I'm sure for the people in the higher pay bracket connected through fancy positions can actually bust ass and get promoted, and im happy the system works as intended on the higher scale. But my view as someone on the floor welding, who does bust ass, shows initiative and good relations, the system in many companies has been set up to treat the worker as a necessary inconvenience, rather than a helpful asset.

I love this country, and capitalism. I understand some of this is an inherent trait and beats the alternative, but it seems that all the old timers I talk to on shop floors all agree something started going wrong on the ground level around the 90's. Denying this problem is what polarizes people away to go to communism.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

Then be worth more to the company than a $7.25hr worker. Hell when I first started working, it was $2.25 an hour. I've never had a minimum wage job. Ever. My first job in the early 80s was $12.00hr. I was 16 years old. You have to sell yourself to the company, from the minute you walk in that door for the interview. You have to convince them that you're valuable to them, more valuable than anyone in your position. Then you have to be more valuable, and seek opportunities to move up, constantly, and as soon as an opportunity arises. You have to be the best at whatever your job is, tro make it worth the company's while to move you up or pay you more.

If you want to know how hard / smart you work, take a purely commission based sales job. You'll find out fast if you're a self motivator. That means if you don't sell product, you don't get paid, at all. I sold cars for 8 years purely on sales based commission pay. If I didn't sell, I didn't get a dime. We didn't have draw where if you didn't sell you got $200 that week. We got nothing.

I made a good living at it. Not everybody is cut out for sales, or likes sales work. Find out what you're good at, and do that, the best you can do it. And work at it, keep improving. Keep motivated. you can make great money doing what you  love.

Just stop begging and whining that you're not paid what someone who's been at your job for a decade longer than you is making. If you're worth that, and you show the company that, you'll get paid that. They're not shy about paying it if someone else is making it. Make them want to pay you more.  You're not worth it just because you show up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Work hard get piled on more work. The lazy bullshitters typically get promoted fastest.

My rate has went down since 2020 and covid and is only just now rebounding and slightly looking better. Yet I canm be model employee number 1 and the pay scale is no different for Joe blow with a fresh certification and poor work ethic.

I have ended up with a slight bump into lead man pay which is a few bucks but it comes with more responsibility and work load and honestly isn't worth it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Winkychevelle:
Work hard get piled on more work. The lazy bullshitters typically get promoted fastest.

My rate has went down since 2020 and covid and is only just now rebounding and slightly looking better. Yet I canm be model employee number 1 and the pay scale is no different for Joe blow with a fresh certification and poor work ethic.

I have ended up with a slight bump into lead man pay which is a few bucks but it comes with more responsibility and work load and honestly isn't worth it.

View Quote

This is where you need to shop for a new employer.  If they are willing to let your wage stagnate while bringing in fresh blood at a similar wage, this shows that they do not appreciate your experience.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Bro you're about 6 years behind.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
Then be worth more to the company than a $7.25hr worker. Hell when I first started working, it was $2.25 an hour. I've never had a minimum wage job. Ever. My first job in the early 80s was $12.00hr. I was 16 years old.
View Quote

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=12&year1=198501&year2=202403

Tag, you're it. You're the new meme. It's a canon event, you can't do anything about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

It all started changing in the late 80's early 90's.
Nowadays, do what's in your best interest and look out for yourself, because they sure aren't going to do it.
Those days are long gone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:

Back in my day min wage jobs were NOT meant to be survivable.  I work those jobs a a high schooler and in college to get extra money. I got an education and then got paid a living wage which got better over the years as I become more worth it.   What kind of absolute moron thinks slinging burgers should be a wage that gets you a house and you can raise kids on?  
View Quote

A Dimocrat votimh moron.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

I’ve been working since I was 15 and have literally never been paid minimum wage
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
Am I in before Boomers ruined it?
View Quote

Damn Boomers ruined it for everyone, go pull yourself up by your bootstraps.....

Government/leftist that are talking about Min wage not being livable are the same people who are pushing for UBI and living wages.

They know people who take minimum wage jobs tend to be illegals and low skilled workers and making menial work pay "livable" means they want a permanent underclass who won't strive to achieve.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#46]
That's up to consumers. I can imagine possible backlash to it. Certain crowds want a physical person they can bitch at.
View Quote

After inflation makes their retirement as worthless as my current salary, they won't be able to afford macdonalds anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#47]
First two posts nail it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TheRX7Project:
I don't know how my subordinates are managing at $20/hr. I'm not living high on the hog at $30.
View Quote

Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:

I’m not living high on the hog at $57 per hour…
View Quote

This was just a conversation I was having recently.  I make $41/hr with a modest house, car, etc.  I have no idea how so many people my age and younger and buying sxs's, campers, etc.  I thought I was doing ok at that $41/hr but damn...guess not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By brandon_:

This was just a conversation I was having recently.  I make $41/hr with a modest house, car, etc.  I have no idea how so many people my age and younger and buying sxs's, campers, etc.  I thought I was doing ok at that $41/hr but damn...guess not.
View Quote

You gotta get off that W2 and be more polite and detail oriented.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By maxima2:
You work = you get paid.

You work hard, do a good job, and show interest and ready to do more = you get promoted and paid more.

Never was a secret and always been that way.

Want special treatment and fast promotions you didn't work for or earn? = go work for your Mom and Dad.

View Quote

Out of touch
Page / 4
Top Top