Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#1]
Cool thread op.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:
FWIW - Those Ukrainian salt mines where almost all of the "Russian capture" Mauser rifles and many other ComBloc/Russian guns were exported from?   Recent pictures showed crate after crate of Thompson SMGs.

Each Sherman sent to USSR had three Thompsons on board.  Removed and replaced with Soviet SMGs as no other gun in their inventory used the .45 cartridge.

The mines have changed hands at least twice in the current conflict and again the Thompsons went unused due to lack of correct ammo.
View Quote

After Soledar was taken Prigozhin appeared on videos showing crates of Thompsons and Maxims packed in cosmoline that were kept in the salt mines.  I've seen pictures of Russians carrying Thompsons but the Maxims appear to be more heavily used.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Papaw:

An Arfcom gentleman recommended a great reference book to me, "Sherman Tanks Of The Red Army" by Peter Samsonov.

We gave the Reds over 4000 M4A2's, the GM 6046 diesel variant. The later 76mm variants were especially popular.
View Quote

The tank featured in Fury was an Easy 8 rolling coal.  My guess it was one given to the UK.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Best French tank of WWII might spark more debate:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Too lazy to post pics of the best British, Canadian, Australian, Polish, Czech, Indian, Brazilian, New Zealand or Chinese tanks of the war.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
No.  The transmission works on the Sherman.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
That's not a Panther
No.  The transmission works on the Sherman.

The finals were the weak link on Panthers, there were upgrades made. Seasoned tankers kept their Panthers going the issue was most Panther crews were poorly trained and got panicked quickly over stressing the finals, breaking them and leaving the tank immobile.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

I've been to that salt mine near Soledar, Ukraine. I used to work at Tenn Guns Int'l  for a few years. Went to inspect M91/30's for import.
The stuff in that mine was awesome.  It was like a WW2 museum.

Each time we bought 10k-15k 91/30's, we bought 5.5 million rds of 54r. Then we were allowed to buy 5,000 k98's.

The German stuff in storage there a gun enthusiasts wet dream.
View All Quotes
FWIW - Those Ukrainian salt mines where almost all of the "Russian capture" Mauser rifles and many other ComBloc/Russian guns were exported from?   Recent pictures showed crate after crate of Thompson SMGs.

Each Sherman sent to USSR had three Thompsons on board.  Removed and replaced with Soviet SMGs as no other gun in their inventory used the .45 cartridge.

The mines have changed hands at least twice in the current conflict and again the Thompsons went unused due to lack of correct ammo.

I've been to that salt mine near Soledar, Ukraine. I used to work at Tenn Guns Int'l  for a few years. Went to inspect M91/30's for import.
The stuff in that mine was awesome.  It was like a WW2 museum.

Each time we bought 10k-15k 91/30's, we bought 5.5 million rds of 54r. Then we were allowed to buy 5,000 k98's.

The German stuff in storage there a gun enthusiasts wet dream.

I wonder LW much is left?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Those were the Salad days..I remember them well.    WTH didn’t you buy those Thompsons when you had the chance?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

What was the unit price at that point?

Arsenal rebuild 91/30's were about $18.00. Century was buying the battlefield pick ups at around $10 I think it was.
The 54r I seem to remember came up to be about 2 cents per round.

The k98's were around $50 or so. May have been a little bit more.
Employee prices were the landed to our dock price, that was all the import documentation and customs inspections plus 12% I think it was plus background check and Tenn taxes.

Those were the Salad days..I remember them well.    WTH didn’t you buy those Thompsons when you had the chance?

A few came in as parts kits.
An 07/SOT I briefly knew in Utah rebuilt at least one from three torch cuts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Since they were lend/lease they could be returned to the US and sold through the CMP to fund the war effort.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

The tank featured in Fury was an Easy 8 rolling coal.  My guess it was one given to the UK.
View Quote

Correct. We gave the Soviets some as well, they arrived in time to be used in Manchuria in '45.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
M4 Sherman (75mm M72) vs Tiger I (Armor Penetration)
[img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]

The 75 mm could penetrate the the tiger….. at 3 feet.

So whos going left?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By crusaderf8u:
But that’s not a Stuart, lol. Sorry, M-3/M-5s were always my favorite WW2 tanks. Read to much Haunted Tank comics and Brazen Chariots.
View Quote

Loved both Haunted Tank and Brazen Chariots. Sherman is still the best though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
Sleazy 8 was better but we probably didn't hand those out.
View Quote

They kicked T-34 ass in Korea.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_0U5thy31o
View Quote

LOL!!😂 That was awesome
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Wow. Haven't heard of The Haunted Tank comic in years. It was my favorite for a really long time.
View Quote

My favorite also, I was always at the store every month waiting for the new issue to be put out.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Fun fact - "Kelly's Heros" was filmed in "Communist"  Yugoslavia in part because the Yugoslavians agreed to let the American film crew use some of their WW2 vehicles like the Sherman's, M-3 / M-5 half-tracks, jeeps that the US provides as Military Aid after the Tito - Stalin split.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Tazaroo:

LOL!!😂 That was awesome
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tazaroo:
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_0U5thy31o

LOL!!😂 That was awesome

That is freaking hilarious.  It's like a dream I sometimes have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh boy, here we go with a WW2 tank debate. Lol.

I think there is a good argument for Sherman..especially since it fought in every hostile environment imaginable... Arctic, Desert, Jungle, Woodland.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Wow. Haven't heard of The Haunted Tank comic in years. It was my favorite for a really long time.
View Quote

Agreed. Haunted Tank even made it into two animated DC cartoons; bought them both on Xbox Live years ago lol.

The Haunted Tank appears in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode "Menace of the Madniks!", voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
An original version of the Haunted Tank, General Tucker, appears in a self-titled episode of Teen Titans Go!, voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bolboda:

Loved both Haunted Tank and Brazen Chariots. Sherman is still the best though.
View Quote

Well, I did say my favorite. But hard to seriously argue that the Sherman wasn’t the best all around tank of WW2.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#22]
M4 was the ultimate tank
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By planovet:

My favorite also, I was always at the store every month waiting for the new issue to be put out.

https://tombrevoorthome.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/tumblr_oxu0eiZZPX1ta3x9ro1_1280.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planovet:

https://tombrevoorthome.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/tumblr_oxu0eiZZPX1ta3x9ro1_1280.jpg
Been trying to find my Haunted Tank comics along with my Sgt.Rock,Weird Warfare and others.

Missing in the house or storage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
That is not a T-34
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
That is not a T-34
View Quote

Correct. Because the T-34 was not the best tank.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

the T34 was not a cheap to build tank.

it was an expensive tank that was built inexpensively by cutting corners. taking out all rubber, heat treating everything incorrectly. spalling and tranny breaks, and horribly uncomfortable tankers sitting on apple boxes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:
Originally Posted By Wolfy42:

Is a POS, its best quality was it was easy to build and many built.

Quantity has a quality of its own as they say.

There is just one metal piece per track link keeping the whole track on.  A metal wedge pushed the track back as it traversed.

Tranny was more cranky than a tranny called by a wrong pronoun.

Many more suckages.

the T34 was not a cheap to build tank.

it was an expensive tank that was built inexpensively by cutting corners. taking out all rubber, heat treating everything incorrectly. spalling and tranny breaks, and horribly uncomfortable tankers sitting on apple boxes.

If you haven't seen his videos, the Chieftain on Youtube does some cool videos on various vehicles, with plenty of info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JbJuXE3JE
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top