Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:18:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#1]
Modern employers like a bank of strong procedures for everything.  Therein lies legal protection, transparency,  a means to terminate, accreditation, DEI/ESG documentation, etc...

They don't care that it is a meritocracy killer and is death to initiative, unless said initiative is gaming the system.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
"Employees", lol, lmao even

[cries in single-member llc]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:18:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#3]
Yes, but in a slightly different way. I worked for a contract engineering/design firm and our primary client was a very large corporation. We would hire upper executives' worthless sons and sons-in-law who couldn't get or hold a job anywhere else. Doing so guaranteed the execs would send lucrative contracts our way. We all had to take them on our projects and they wouldn't/couldn't do shit. What they would do was hopelessly fucked up and would have to be re-done, so we gave them make-work tasks.

But our firm did make money, and lots of it. We were often given rush projects with unlimited overtime, too. 50, 60, even 70 hour weeks were the rule of the day. We would even offer the worthless ones a little overtime, usual a few hours on a Saturday -- which they invariably turned down.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.  I don’t going over and above for no good reason.  I went from doing 300% of my workload to 110%.  It’s been nice.  I also get 2 hours a day back with my kids.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fttam:
Ask any of my union guys.

After a while everyone just does the bare minimum.
View Quote
When I first started working I'd almost kill myself trying to do the best I could. Then over time you figure out that no one else is doing that and they get the same pay you do. Bare minimum and just enough to not get fired. Of course the worse workers are the ones who have it easier. If management thinks you care the least little bit they are on you 24/7 about shit that you have no control over.

Had a guy who would wash his hands, use the restroom, wash his hands again, go into the breakroom get what to drink, sit down, THEN start his 15 min break. The guy who did my job on the other line took a few days vacation so I floated back and forth to cover. The line would start back up and everyone but him would be back at their stations. Well the line to assembly got empty so I noticed he wasn't there I went and told him "you need to get back to work dude". He said I wasn't his boss so I said Okey Dokey! 3rd shift plant manager came in a huff to see why the line had went empty. I told him "so-n-so" hasn't come back from break yet. He went and got him and was chewing his ass left and right. His defense was why didn't I just load the line till he got done with his break. I said I was doing my job that I got paid for on top of covering for the guy on vacation and I damn sure didn't make enough to do his job too just because he thought he was special.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the wrong picture for that meme.  Not sure what picture it should be but I'm not gonna bro handshake with a useless piece of shit after I've been working all day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

Yes.

But I worked an overtime shift to help somebody out right around Christmas.

Our timekeeper totally fucked up inputting my time.  I was shorted 4 hours of OT.  That's $300.

They still haven't fixed it.  It is creeping up on 5 months.

Sooo .guess what?  now I am one of the lazy shitbirds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

Yes.

But I worked an overtime shift to help somebody out right around Christmas.

Our timekeeper totally fucked up inputting my time.  I was shorted 4 hours of OT.  That's $300.

They still haven't fixed it.  It is creeping up on 5 months.

Sooo .guess what?  now I am one of the lazy shitbirds.
Timekeeper didn't want to get in trouble and never told anyone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been retired for 7 years now, but my entire career was an a degreed engineer working in the corporate world, and the companies I worked for were not union.

That meant that compensation was determined, for the most part, by individual performance.   (And when I was a manager, I used that performance directly as a gauge as to what a subordinate would be paid.)

Yeah, there were slackers, and there were some real go-getters.  In the long run, the slackers were paid less, and the go-getters got more money and/or were promoted.

Nowadays, with DEI and all that government mandated bullshit, I am not certain if the system still works the way I described above.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
of course.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Ask any of my union guys.

After a while everyone just does the bare minimum.
View Quote

Sadly that is exactly what unions encourage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
Timekeeper didn't want to get in trouble and never told anyone.
View Quote

Yeah, she said she submitted whatever electronic form to corporate payroll.

But that wouldn’t be the first time a salaried person there has lied to me.

Of course my latest email reminder to her….I never got a reply back.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Somewhat.

Production based so < successful gets fired, everyone above that is good to go but we do have production based bonuses. That's only one time bonuses though, the salary is entirely based on years of service.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:57:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#14]
Sure, every place I worked.

It simply doesn't pay (literally) to be a rockstar employee and go above and beyond.

Success is rewarded - with more work.

Becoming indispensable - means they'll never promote you because they want you in your current role.

You never want to be the low performer though, nicely in the middle (meets expectations on your annual review) is the sweet spot.

The key to success is not to maximize your value to the company, but to maximize the skills you develop for yourself. Learn everything you can and use those new skills to get a new job (with a bigger paycheck) somewhere else. Rinse and repeat every three years or so, until you reach a point where you are comfortable with the job and the pay.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep.

Last year when reviews came around I had physical numbers to show the new boss .

I did 4X the work of his boy and 2X the work of our other idiot . I suggested that my raise should reflect this information .

I was told he wasn’t allowed to do that ,  but he could adjust the bonus to reflect it.

Now bonuses are great and all but it’s a one time thing , raises are forever .

I then suggested that this could result in similar work production of the lazy fuck .

His response :

I’m beyond frustrated at our department since the new guy took over
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm the highest medically credentialed Technologist ( 5 year degree w 16 month residency and a maxed out full laboratory credentials) in my section.

several non credentialed people working there as well as people with 2 year credentials. ( including my manager)

I've been asked on 3 different occasions to stop signing my medical credentials on my signature on official documents because people with lower or no credentials in the section complain about it.

I'm like ... "No, you are insane for asking".
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#17]
I work at a place that involves a union, a fortune 500 company, and the federal government.

And they all fight tooth and nail for golf scoring on happy employees.

So yeah pretty familiar.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
No. No idea what my fellow employees make and as far as I know they know nothing about my compensation.

I tend to make my job look easy but everyone else there knows they could not do it, simply because they do not know how.

I have a habit of being very efficient with everything I do, and when I try to share that with others it gets mixed responses from "thanks for showing me that" to "well yeah, that's easier for YOU because you understand it".
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top