Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2024 11:10:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: john_ar]
how can i machine a ar 15 lower with a manual mill not a cnc ? i cant find anything about manual machining of gun parts does someone know?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Any machinist can do it. Youtube milling tutorials.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: john_ar] [#2]
can you suggest any video for 0% lower
?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: john_ar] [#4]
Thanks is it from scratch or 80%?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:24:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
CLICK ME
View Quote

This book is for a "from scratch" lower.  But, if you have an 80%, just skip the parts that don't apply.

You can search "Machining an 80% lower receiver", and a lot of websites will pop up.

Or, look at the pinned discussions two or three topics up in "Links-to-80-threads-if-you-re-interested-in-building-80-receivers...click here"
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By john_ar:
Thanks is it from scratch or 80%?

View Quote

C'mon now. Make a bit of effort.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dex223:

This book is for a "from scratch" lower.  But, if you have an 80%, just skip the parts that don't apply.

View Quote

You cheated and actually looked, didn't you?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Did they have CNCs back in the 1960s?  Somehow they machined these things for decades.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Did they have CNCs back in the 1960s?
View Quote

Actually, yes.

Not commonplace though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Did they have CNCs back in the 1960s?  Somehow they machined these things for decades.
View Quote

Back in the day most shops used several machines to do what a CNC can do now.  Each machine did a task, and the piece was moved to the next.  Not nearly as efficient as CNC, but just as accurate with proper setups.  To perform all functions on a single machine would be massively time consuming due to all the setup, and then you had better be running at least a half dozen at a time because....Murphy
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#12]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Back in the day most shops used several machines to do what a CNC can do now.  Each machine did a task, and the piece was moved to the next.  Not nearly as efficient as CNC, but just as accurate with proper setups.  To perform all functions on a single machine would be massively time consuming due to all the setup, and then you had better be running at least a half dozen at a time because....Murphy
View Quote

Right.  But that wasn't the question.  The question is can you, or how can you, machine one without a CNC.  It had nothing to do with how time consuming the setups were or optimizing production runs by machining 8 lowers at once.

Somewhere around here, there's an old timey video of a firearms factory producing stuff on machines even before they had advanced enough to get electricity or air to each station.  IIRC, they were using a system of belts to transmit power all around the factory to each worker.  Then the machine at each station used belts, pulleys, and a clutch to tap off whatever power they needed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#13]

Right.  But that wasn't the question.  The question is can you, or how can you, machine one without a CNC.  It had nothing to do with how time consuming the setups were or optimizing production runs by machining 8 lowers at once.

Somewhere around here, there's an old timey video of a firearms factory producing stuff on machines even before they had advanced enough to get electricity or air to each station.  IIRC, they were using a system of belts to transmit power all around the factory to each worker.  Then the machine at each station used belts, pulleys, and a clutch to tap off whatever power they needed.
View Quote

Can you say guns of Khyber Pass ?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#14]

Actually, yes.

Not commonplace though.
View Quote

CNC = Computer Numerically Controlled.

In the 1960s most automated machine were run with a paper tape, or punch-cards, so actually analog control.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#15]

View Quote

If you calculate in the time and efforts required to make a 3D model, program the code, and load in the machine, get the set-ups right and adjust all the tool stick-outs, I can transform an 80% chunk of aluminum into a lower faster.

Takes about two hours on a manual mill, including a smoke break.  As long I have a well thought-out machining drawing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn’t try a 0% unless you have some serious practice.  Get a jig and pull up a YouTube video. And take your time. Cut a little at a time.  Hardest thing, for me, was getting the right depth of the cuts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

In the 1960s most automated machine were run with a paper tape, or punch-cards, so actually analog control.

https://www.shopfloorautomations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/NC-Machine-Punch-Tape.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXvyRd3JY4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Actually, yes.

Not commonplace though.

https://www.shopfloorautomations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/NC-Machine-Punch-Tape.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXvyRd3JY4

Yeah, NC predates CNC.

NC utilized coded punch tapes. Late '60s saw the into of actual CNC.

Hell, guys finish out 80 percent lowers with nothing more than a drill press. A manual milling machine should be like uptown.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

In the 1940's nine primary contractors made more than 6.1 million Caliber .30 M1 carbines using manual machines.    The parts on every one of these  M1 Carbine rifles interchanged with every other M1 Carbine rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:

In the 1940's nine primary contractors made more than 6.1 million Caliber .30 M1 carbines using manual machines.    The parts on every one of these  M1 Carbine rifles interchanged with every other M1 Carbine rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:

When "skilled trades" actually meant something.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]

When "skilled trades" actually meant something.
View Quote

And the blueprints were all drawn by hand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems to me like one of those "if you have to ask" kind of questions. Take a class, learn to use your machinery, you'll know when you're ready. Or just jump in and go for it, Paki kids with no shoes do it
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Somewhere out there on the interwebs you’ll find a pdf file about machining an AR lower from a raw forging, authored by the late Ray Vin, may he rest in peace. Go find it. It will teach you everything you need to know.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#23]
CLICK ME
View Quote

Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
Somewhere out there on the interwebs you’ll find a pdf file about machining an AR lower from a raw forging, authored by the late Ray Vin, may he rest in peace. Go find it. It will teach you everything you need to know.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
For those of us who don't have a Scribd account, here is an Internet Archive link.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dex223:

Yes...I did, almost 10 years ago!  I've been using it (and other sources) ever since.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
i have made an undisclosed number with a WEN desktop milling machine.  after some practice you can actually get good at it and even make factory quality.  dont expect that to happen on your first tho

i put a number of comments in the 80% milling thread related to my experiences
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Raw Forging Completed on Mini-mill

Damn, that was over 9 years ago.  I used the Ray-Vin guide.  I still have a hard copy.  I just shot that lower the other day, it is my dedicated can cannon lower now.  

Lots of good info here too. 80% milling thread
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]

If you calculate in the time and efforts required to make a 3D model, program the code, and load in the machine, get the set-ups right and adjust all the tool stick-outs, I can transform an 80% chunk of aluminum into a lower faster.

Takes about two hours on a manual mill, including a smoke break.  As long I have a well thought-out machining drawing.
View Quote

In fairness, my milling skills are not often used but my CNC skills I use at least once a week. Presuming  a forging and not a raw block, you don't even need a 3d model. It's all 2.5d.

Reality is, CNC only really shines if you're making more than one. It also is pretty trick for making custom roll marks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:

In fairness, my milling skills are not often used but my CNC skills I use at least once a week. Presuming  a forging and not a raw block, you don't even need a 3d model. It's all 2.5d.

Reality is, CNC only really shines if you're making more than one. It also is pretty trick for making custom roll marks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Just make it per plan.

I guess I don't understand. Does the OP believe he can swing by a forum ask how to do it and just pull it off? Does he have any experience. I would be surprised if EVERY journeyman machinist could make one first effort. Now surely job shop guys could pull it off but some journeyman that just monitors some big part day in and day out might have some problems. That would be like saying if a guy is a welder he can weld nuclear pipe. There are a dozen critical dimensions and relationships of those dimensions.

If he has to ask...

Anyway, I wish the OP the best.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top