Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 11:36:28 AM EDT
Just acquired one of these and I don’t really know much about these rifles. This one is New production built  in the last year and never fired. I  want to set it up to run my Sandman S or Harvester on it.

What are the options needed to get these suppressed and are there any needed GI parts that should be used to replace the SA parts as far as reliability / performance?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M60-E4] [#1]
Did some small swaps today. Added a new GI recoil Spring and a GI stock. I cleaned it pretty good and added a nice coat of BOL and let it cure. May add another…..

I much prefer the GI stocks feel compared to the newer stock that can on the rifle. Feels thinner and more ergonomic.

Before ….

After…..

Ordered an adapter and a gas block to move my front sight to. Plan on running my Harvester with a Cherry Bomb or my Sandman S. Hopefully everything lines up
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 6:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#2]
You already got the first thing, a threaded muzzle adapter.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I own the exact same rifle, and from a reliability standpoint I have not found a single thing I think should be replaced. Just maintain it, it will work. Springfield M1A parts are good.

The only other thing most do to run a suppressor is to adjust the gas system. Some claim to run them as-is with no problems, but I see no reason to do that. There's two common ways to do this, maybe a third. The first is to install an adjustable gas plug. Unfortunately Schuster is the only one I'm aware of, and they have some kind of family crisis that has stopped production for now.

The other method is to cross drill your gas spindle. I think that's the more sensible option as doing this limits the gas that goes to the gas system in the first place. Typically this spindle is an on-off valve. All you are doing is using the "off" position and drilling it with a smaller hole than the standard "on" position. This way you have a system that you can choose low or high mode, and it can be adjusted with only the rim of a cartridge. I feel like this is the most sensible option.

A kind of third option is to buy on a spindle with replaceable jets. https://shootingsight.com/?product=m14-spindle-valve-jets This is like the original on/off valve, so if you want to go back to original, you have to pull that spindle out, and put the original back in.

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
One last little bit of opinion. I am not a fan of that scout scope setup at all it's so tall, and way far forward. I found a pistol scope was the only thing I had that could work on it. It didn't take me long before I ditched it. It is the one part on the rifle I think you will benefit from replacing. If you really want a forward mounted scope, the Ultimak rail is a much better design. There's a ton of options for more traditional mounts depending on what you want. I am a big fan of the Bassett picatinny mount, it's crazy how simple and easy it is to mount. It's better than QD scope rings.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Can’t say I disagree with you on the current scout setup. Not a huge fan of the optic mount and the lack of being able to use the iron sights thru it.

This rifle may find itself part of the Iron Sight Mafia
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing wrong with that either. Mine sees mostly iron sight use. It is nice having a scope for easier load testing at the range though. That's where the Bassett really shines. You put it on in 15 seconds, shoot, take it off, in 15 more seconds, and you are back to the iron master race.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:58:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M60-E4] [#7]
Got my new gas/sight block on and my KeyMo Muzzle Break mount and Sandman S. I’m waiting on the cross/tapped spindle and getting to my LGS to make sure all is lined up prior to testing it out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top