Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Best running shoes ~$250 (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2024 10:28:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Action45]
I need a new pair of running shoes. If you think $250 is insane just move along, this thread isn’t for you. I mostly jog on sidewalks and get foot pain occasionally from a prior break, so I don’t mind spending a little more. Past few pairs in the $125-150 range have been lackluster.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What have you been using?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a firm believer in protecting my joints.  I am currently training for my 3rd ultramarathon, and I love these Asics Gel-Nimbus 26
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:34:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Action45] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
What have you been using?
View Quote

Last purchase was a pair of ASICS. Can’t even remember which ones & I just pitched them yesterday because the soles were beat. Found them on sale randomly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The biggest thing is tracking your miles per pair.  I switch my shoes out every 250-300 miles.  

I also try to have more than one pair, and rotate them between runs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Action45] [#5]
Originally Posted By livfreely:
The biggest thing is tracking your miles per pair.  I switch my shoes out every 250-300 miles.  

View Quote

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I definitely ran this last pair into the ground. I’m down to buy a couple pairs if I really like them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:39:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: luscioman] [#6]
I have wide feet which I didn't realize before. I use Brooks and Hookas for running. Avg is $150. Key is rotating shoes. Also at least for you first pair goto a running shoe store. That is how I found inhad wide feet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been really happy with my brooks glycerin 21's (about $160).  I also concur with tracking your miles and replace as needed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#8]
Wife runs a lot, she’s been all Altra for a several years. Best you can get is a really wide spectrum, you won’t run a race shoe in the rain even if you’re willing to suck up the $300 cost every 100 miles.

I run when I have to. Can’t do the super cushy stuff, I’m on my first pair of Asics and get along with them just fine.

Go to a running store. A real running store.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Action45:

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I definitely ran this last pair into the ground. I’m down to buy a couple pairs if I really like them.
View Quote

And I’m sure you felt more “pain” towards the end.  I have learned when my knees feel it, the shoes must go.  That’s why, for me, I stick with the switch out every 250-300 miles.  With my stride/gate I tend to wear out the outer edges quicker.  

As mentioned, use your local running shoe store, and have your feet “tested”.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're shopping in that price range then I'm assuming you're looking for a racing shoe and the Nike Alphafly 3 or Aspics Metaspeed Paris models are where it's at.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Brooks has always been the best for me and go with slightly larger shoe as foot swells. I have run with both Ghosts and Glycerin models over the years. The Hokas is gaining some bigger fan base these days and I tried them when they first came out and did not care for them.

Also , a running store can help with " how you run " and recommend a model also based on your type of run.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
I track my running shoes in garming connect soon as i hit 275 miles order a new pair and then the old pair become walking around the yard shoes or lawn mowing shoes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:51:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Action45] [#13]
Originally Posted By luscioman:
I have wide feet which I didn't realize before. I use Brooks and Hookas for running. Avg is $150. Key is rotating shoes. Also at least for you first pair goto a running shoe store. That is how I found inhad wide feet.
View Quote

I’ll check both, I have wide feet as well. I probably need to just take the time to visit a legit running shoe store. I think it will be worth the time
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I need a new pair of running shoes. If you think $250 is insane just move along, this thread isn’t for you. I mostly jog on sidewalks and get foot pain occasionally from a prior break, so I don’t mind spending a little more. Past few pairs in the $125-150 range have been lackluster.
View Quote

Go to your local running geek store---not Dick's or Academy---and talk to their staff.  Often it's the owner.  They'll ask you a gazillion questions and get you in exactly the right shoe.

It won't be cheap.  Especially if they nail you for insoles too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:52:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ugagrad06] [#15]
Have you been fitted?  Know your style matches your gait?

I tried on a pair of Altra super shoes and didn’t like em. Especially when you compare the $250 price with the lack of durability with those $250 super shoes.

Since I’m zero drop - I use a 130$ pair of altra escalante 4 for road and a $170 trail shoe from them.

Wide toe box. Comfy with good support. Zero drop for my running style.

My therapist hates on cloud but I have some friends that love them.

I do 6 miles 2x a week and then 10+ miles once a week as a part of triathlon training.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:52:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#16]
I used Inov-8 when I did crossfit.

But, yeah, the suggestions about going to your local serious running store are valid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Shoes should be based on YOUR feet. Generic recommendations are worthless. Go to your local running store, get fitted, and all your pains go away when your shoes dont fight you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Brooks Ghost line.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Brooks fan over here. I need a new pair but I use the ghosts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been running in ASICS Gel-Nimbus since the 12s. I will be buying the 26 this month. I put about 500 miles on them and retire them from running. Old pairs are walkers, lawn mowing shoes, mud races if donate after... I keep two pair for running and switch between them based on distance and weather for that day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
We sent my son to basic training w/ a pair of Nikes, I don't recall the model, but they weren't cheap.  He switched to Hokas and said it's a huge difference, and that his feet don't feel fatigued after their longer runs like they used to.  He ran the three mile in 19:20, so he's doing something right for a kid that never ran much in his life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scopedope] [#23]
Best shoes,

That’s  a very personal decision. How do you run, how often do you run, do you run distance, what types of support do you need?

All of the top running shoe makers have a shoe in that price range.  I run 30-50 miles per week. I have different shoes that I rotate (5 pairs). I get ~400 miles out of shoes. My sweet spot for shoes, that are neutral and provide long distance support is ~$170 per pair.

I own Saucony, NB, Hoka, Brookes, ASICS. I’ve tried others.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:25:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator] [#24]
Just get last year's closeouts for < $100.

But, I have been in ghosts and adrenalines the past two seasons. I've been running competitively for almost 30 years, and while I'd appreciate fitting help from our local running store, it's run by commies, and I can figure out what fits my stride almost as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:41:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#25]
I’ve been extremely satisfied with my Altra running shoes. They’re expensive but worth it.

I went to a dedicated running shop and got fitted - they said “you should wear Altra shoes”. So that’s what I did and it worked out. Bottom line is you should go get fitted at a running store.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I took my wife to Fleet Feet, don't know if you have one around near you but it was a good choice. They got her the right sneakers and arch supports. She's got the Asics Kayano and loves them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#27]
HOKA Skyward X
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Oof.  

How does walking wear compare to running?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Buy a new pair, and then spend $250 on BPC-157 and collagen.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BeachGunner:
I've been really happy with my brooks glycerin 21's (about $160).  I also concur with tracking your miles and replace as needed.
View Quote

Love this shoe!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I hate running on pavement, usually rock Salomon or Brooks trail running shoes

Cascadia GTX

Salomon Sense Ride and change them before they get too worn. (I didn't like their thicker soled Ultras)

I find the trail running shoes to have firm, but protected soles that offer a good mix versus street which are too cushy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Stop damaging your knees, You really need an app like Strava to track mileage and warn you at 250 miles.  I have shoes that still look brand new but the cushioning is gone.

Do you need neutral or stability shoes?  Light, medium, or maximum cushioning? Only with that knowledge can you narrow down which shoe is right.

The best running shoes require thousands dollars of multiple types in rotation at all times. No serious runner has only one pair of shoes, unless they are planning on soon becoming an injured ex-runner.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#33]

I’ll check both, I have wide feet as well. I probably need to just take the time to visit a legit running shoe store. I think it will be worth the time
View Quote

DO THIS!!!
Also, buy two pairs of the shoes.

Hola, ASICS, brooks, Altra, on Cloud, and maybe one or two other brands will be what you end up getting into.   Run on a treadmill IDENTICAL to how you do a normal run.  Don’t half ass jog it because you’re in a store.  Do a real normal run so they can see how you actually run for 6 minutes.  

Paging @CommanderKeen to tell you the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Gator:

Oof.  

View Quote

Walking is going to put less stress on the cushion.  You’re not jumping on the shoe.  You’re transitioning smoothly.  It’s like sleeping on a bed vs jumping in it.  You roll in/out not launch yourself from the top rope.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Not all shoes are created equally. Some will be dead by 200 miles. Others like Nike Pegasus will go for 500-600 miles. Plenty of reports from owners online that note the longevity of Nike Pegasus shoes. Again ymmv, but heavier duty shoes will last longer than lightweight shoes meant for race day (blow through those in 200-250 miles).
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Absolutely!

I always bought and wore medium width shoes as that's what I'd always bought and wore. It wasn't until I got a proper fitting that I was told I have wide feet. And after buying and wearing wide shoes, my feet no longer hurting so much that I wanted to chop them off at the end of the day. Before, they'd start hurting after about an hour. Now, I can go for MUCH longer on my feet before I feel anything.

I currently wear HOKA Bondi 8, but I also have a pair of Asics GEL-Kayano 29 that are really comfortable. I also wear custom orthotic insoles from Sheep Feet. And they made the single biggest difference in how my feet feel at the end of the day. As far as cost, they were more than the shoes, but I can transfer them to other shoes if needed. And they're well worth the price.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Oof.  

View Quote
Strava and probably other running apps count the miles the same. Running puts more pressure on the cushion, but walking puts just as many crush cycles.  I haven't seen any study on it, but after years of casual observation I think the apps have it right. Mileage is mileage, especially on a shoe designed for running. Time is also a factor in cushion lifespan which deteriorates over time. Once a shoe is two years old it is probably best to toss it, unless you are extremely familiar with the model and willing to take the risk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scopedope] [#38]
Originally Posted By TangoFoxtrot:
Strava and probably other running apps count the miles the same. Running puts more pressure on the cushion, but walking puts just as many crush cycles.  I haven't seen any study on it, but after years of casual observation I think the apps have it right. Mileage is mileage, especially on a shoe designed for running. Time is also a factor in cushion lifespan which deteriorates over time. Once a shoe is two years old it is probably best to toss it, unless you are extremely familiar with the model and willing to take the risk.
View Quote

I use Garmin, I tack walking and running. Miles are miles. My running shoes are only used for training, until I decommission them. I currently have 5 pair in rotation. Different shoes have different milage rating to you’ll see between 250-400 miles.

I usually cycle thru shoes twice a year. Depending on miles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:37:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#39]
What distance?  What is your jog pace?

Use the brooks and Hoka sites to figure out what kind of shoe you need.  I have about 15 different pairs of running shoes, all for different things.  I’d say my Hoka Cliftons are my best medium distance jogging shoe, but I don’t like them for anything else, especially on the light side of jog-walk.  My ghosts are great for really slow jogs/fast walk or shorter distance.  Race day my New Balance supercomps for anything 10k or under, but hate them for anything else.

I’m a wide so I’m also limited.

Or…you need to find your shoe.  They have very specific purposes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Definitely find a good shop that can guide you.   Lots of good shoes out there.....it's a matter of finding options that fit you and your use.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#41]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
I hate running on pavement, usually rock Salomon or Brooks trail running shoes

Cascadia GTX

Salomon Sense Ride and change them before they get too worn. (I didn't like their thicker soled Ultras)

I find the trail running shoes to have firm, but protected soles that offer a good mix versus street which are too cushy.
View Quote

Why would you recommend GTX first though?  Comparatively so to non-GTX Cascadias, they are extremely hot to run in.  I've been a long time user of Cascadias by the way, excellent trail running/hiking/stair climbing shoe.  The plate on the 17's, everything about the 17's make them perfect hiking/trail shoes.

But what they are NOT is a good pavement jogging shoe.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Have you tried on cloud?? Do recommend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#43]
The "best" pair of running shoes is going to be person specific, but for me it is the Brooks Ghost.  I have been wearing them for years, and they've been great.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Fit is everything, followed closely by running style and preferences.

What might be the best shoe for someone else could be a terrible choice for you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By S1W:
Fit is everything, followed closely by running style and preferences.

What might be the best shoe for someone else could be a terrible choice for you.
View Quote

Exactly this.  Go try them on, don’t buy based on what someone with different shaped feet and running style says on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#46]

View Quote

This, I love my brooks adrennaline GTS, BUT they only last 200-250 miles per pair, and then toast. if im doing 15 miles a week, that is every 4 months , means I'm spending 500 bucks a year on running shoes. Though after they are dead they make ok lifting shoes.

I rotate mine in tiers from "running" shoe tier, to "gym shoe" to "garage/lawn work shoe". A shoe cannot go back up tiers.

I didnt know how much differenace a correctly sized shoe would make until I got some. It is worth it to go to a speciality store vs box store. (think of it like going to bass pro to get your first AR, vs speciality store, you might pay a little more but you will understand what you are getting, and they will usually encourage you to try them in store before you buy)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Choosing a pair of running shoes is like choosing the right handgun/rifle . . . it is a very personal choice.

The best advice in this thread is you should go to the local dedicated running store (not a chain like Dick's) and let them fit you and examine your stride, etc.  Once you have selected a shoe and discover it works for you, then you can buy at a substantial discount "old stock" pairs that are brand new but are in colors that are six months old . . . most of the major manufacturers come out with color updates every six months to a year.  

My kids ran cross country and track through college so I bought a lot of running shoes over the years.  Each pair of shoes lasted about 350-400 miles . . . some more, some less.  I always bought the first pair of the new season at the local running store to support them.  Other shoes were purchased online through discounters as described above.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
First, foot type? Flat, high arch?

You said you broke your foot in the past. Orthotics?

Where you have broken your foot in the past, it might be best to go to a athletic foot doctor that deals with running and prior injuries. Possibly one that runs.

Once upon a time many moons ago when I was in the Army at Fort Drum and running at least 25 to 30 miles a week, I got a tear in the tendon of my foot.

Luckily, the foot doctor that spotted the tear was a runner as well. Was put in a cast that day. Anyway, having a doctor that runs and understands sports injuries, goes a long ways to getting the correct treatment.

As far as running shoes go, I have a low arch, almost flat foot. New Balance was the answer for me. If you know your foot type, then start there. Most running shoes come in different weights and support according to foot type.

If you go to their websites they should list shoes by foot type.  If you find something that works well for you then get a few pairs. IME, Shoe companies change models too often.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oof.  

Oof indeed... I'm walking 5+ miles a day.  2 years?  Try two months then.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#50]
How do you run? Heal striker? Mid? Forefoot?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Best running shoes ~$250 (Page 1 of 2)
Top Top