User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yobo:
It's a serious question.
I know a kid who is " slow" and he loves guns and knows a lot about guns he likes to play shooting video games.  He said he wants to buy a Glock 17.  I heard he was oxygen deprived during birth and had some developmental issues.  When I talk to him it's like I'm talking to 8 or 9 y/o but you wouldn't know it by his appearance.  He "finished" high school couple years ago.
I wouldn't feel comfortable if he had it was carrying a loaded Glock
View Quote

I don't feel comfortable that drugs are pervasive and voter ID isn't.  But that said, my personal comfort isn't a basis for regulating citizens.

I'm uncomfortable with lots of things. Some of them are even really dangerous. Deadly even.  Doesn't give me or anyone else the platform to deprive another citizen of their rights.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#2]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

@California_Kid

I've watched a legally blind person pass the live fire test to get a carry permit and, as the instructor who watched him do it, I signed his certificate.

The state standard was 48 rounds fired at varying distances from 3, 7, and 15 yards. In order to pass, the state required 70% of the shots hit a man-sized silhouette target. For sake of ease with the math, every instructor I know of had students shoot 50 rounds, so 35 of the 50 had to hit the target. IIRC, the state required 18 rounds each at 3 and 7 yards, and 12 rounds at 15 yards. The extra two rounds were fired at 3 yards where I worked. So, a student could miss every round at 15 yards and still pass, provided 35 of the 38 rounds fired at 3 and 7 yards hit the target.

This particular student could see the target as a blob, but couldn't make out details on it. He could see the front sight, though, and scored above the minimum passing requirement of 70%.

Over the years, I saw plenty of shooters with perfect site shoot worse than he did, including many who couldn't hit 35 out of 50. Heck, I saw shooters miss at 3 yards.
View Quote

So question.

If said blind dude pulls a concealed carry and shoots the wrong person.

Aren't you now liable? I would think you would get sued into oblivion about this and be all over the news as the "Reckless gun instructor gave blind man concealed carry license."

Not saying that dude doesn't have a right to defend himself. I'm just thinking about this scenario.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
A guy I work with has a Sig P320 and a Spikes Tactical AR. He bought them both from an FFL. He is all the proof I need.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
IDK.  Do any of the democrat congress trash buy guns?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
Why do you hate the letter A?
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#6]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

So question.

If said blind dude pulls a concealed carry and shoots the person.

Aren't you now liable? I would think you would get sued into oblivion about this and be all over the news as the "Reckless gun instructor gives blind man concealed carry."

Not saying that dude doesn't have a right to defend himself. I'm just thinking about this scenario.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

@California_Kid

I've watched a legally blind person pass the live fire test to get a carry permit and, as the instructor who watched him do it, I signed his certificate.

The state standard was 48 rounds fired at varying distances from 3, 7, and 15 yards. In order to pass, the state required 70% of the shots hit a man-sized silhouette target. For sake of ease with the math, every instructor I know of had students shoot 50 rounds, so 35 of the 50 had to hit the target. IIRC, the state required 18 rounds each at 3 and 7 yards, and 12 rounds at 15 yards. The extra two rounds were fired at 3 yards where I worked. So, a student could miss every round at 15 yards and still pass, provided 35 of the 38 rounds fired at 3 and 7 yards hit the target.

This particular student could see the target as a blob, but couldn't make out details on it. He could see the front sight, though, and scored above the minimum passing requirement of 70%.

Over the years, I saw plenty of shooters with perfect site shoot worse than he did, including many who couldn't hit 35 out of 50. Heck, I saw shooters miss at 3 yards.

So question.

If said blind dude pulls a concealed carry and shoots the person.

Aren't you now liable? I would think you would get sued into oblivion about this and be all over the news as the "Reckless gun instructor gives blind man concealed carry."

I would testify that he met the state-mandated requirements, just the same as any other student and did not demonstrate any unsafe behaviors in class which would cause me to have reason to deny him a permit. Threat identification was not a part of the state requirements for a certificate of course completion, only the passing of a written exam and shooting test. If the state wants to impose a requirement that permit applicants have a minimum required ability to see, they would need to write that into the state law and require a doctor's note certifying that the applicant passed an eye exam as part of the application process.

Besides, I'm no eye doctor. The only reason I have to believe he was legally blind was he told me. His actions in class demonstrated that he could pass a written exam and put 35 holes in a paper target. Without training to identify sight-related medical issues, how am I to judge a person and deny them a Constitutionally protected right?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

The issue of people who are legally blind owning and carrying firearms was the subject of a long cascade of troll and counter-troll posts on a certain leftist forum several years ago.  It was hysterical.

Federal law says nothing about a vision test for purchasing a firearm.  I'm not aware of any state that requires a vision test merely to own one.  In my state and county, to get a CCW permit there is a mandatory live-fire test that I doubt that a legally blind person could pass.
View Quote

I am 'legally blind' in one eye, and have been since my early teens.

I'm almost there in the other eye. It's pretty bad too.

But it's completely correctable with optics - glasses, contacts, and, one of the reasons I fell in love with shooting as a kid: riflescopes.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Sales of derringers are indicative that they can.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
I know a security guard he seems kinda dumb you have to really explain things to him he won't just get it. He has AK's, pistols, AR's etc...
View Quote

A fellow officer. Seriously, the stuff I saw in my first firearms class was scary scary, to say the least.

Of course, in those days, training was not what it is now.

Still, there's that whole, running to the sound of the gunfire thing, there. Uh, might want to call it in first. Secondly, flanking is because.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

But it's completely correctable with optics - glasses, contacts, and, one of the reasons I fell in love with shooting as a kid: riflescopes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

The issue of people who are legally blind owning and carrying firearms was the subject of a long cascade of troll and counter-troll posts on a certain leftist forum several years ago.  It was hysterical.

Federal law says nothing about a vision test for purchasing a firearm.  I'm not aware of any state that requires a vision test merely to own one.  In my state and county, to get a CCW permit there is a mandatory live-fire test that I doubt that a legally blind person could pass.

I have amblyopia and have been legally blind in my right eye since birth.  In order to get a regular Driver License, I had to have my opthalmologist write a letter to the state in support of my application back in 1973.  (That requirement is no longer in existence in CA.)  My left ("good") eye is heavily near-sighted and astigmatic, but correctable to about 20/20.  So I shoot long guns left-handed, and handguns right-handed but crossed over.  Right-handed bolt rifles are a major PITA for me to shoot, which is why I started buying semiautos.

Among things I cannot do are getting any kind of license for flying aircraft, and getting a commercial license to drive a truck or bus.  My vision gave me no chance of getting admitted to the US Naval Academy.  But my vision problems presented no issue for getting a CCW permit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
If he has not been adjudicated mentally defective he can purchase firearms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Obviously.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Knew a teacher that also taught hunters safety.

Had one student whom he knows well from the school system in his hunters safety class.  This kid was a little ‘slow’ if you will and personally he would never trust this kid with a firearm.  That said this kid successfully passed the requirements to obtain his hunters safety certificate.

Was a moral conundrum  

View Quote

Had to take mine this year even though I've had Hunter's Safety and a Hunting license sine I was 8.  

I can safely say that there were at least 2 people in that course with IQ less than 85.  One had his "Mommy" calling to check up on him every 20 minutes.  I knew it was his Mommy because he answered the phone "HEY MOMMY".
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
proof…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#15]
FULL METAL JACKET BATHROOM SCENE By #mikemerone
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
If a person with a below average IQ couldn't own a gun, there would be no Marine Corp Infantry.  And all the crayons would be uneaten.

Fun Fact; Half the people you meet are below average IQ.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#17]
Legally has been covered already. However, an FFL, or anyone for that matter, might get sued for negligent entrustment if the low IQ buyer commits/attempts a crime/suicide or has an accident with the firearm purchased.  I would not sell to someone I suspected was not competent enough to handle the responsibility of firearms ownership.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By miseses:
I believe not only will they give you a gun, but a badge too.  ATF, or maybe CBP officer, would be a great place to apply for employment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you been to a gun show?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Half the gun owners in the USA have below normal IQ for gun owners in the USA.
View Quote

Unless there are a lot of high IQs or low IQs skewing the average left or right.

What’s the MEDIAN value?

That’s the actual value dividing IQ into two halves.

You assume that the IQ distribution of gun owners is a normal distribution and is representative of the overall IQ distribution of the general population.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have been to a public range you know the answer to that question.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Unless that person has been adjudicated mentally defective, I can’t see that person being prohibited on the basis of intellect.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-10] [#24]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Can a person with below normal IQ buy gun?  I believe  Below normal is less than 85 on IQ test.  
Let’s say someone who is 23 y/o with nothing to prevent him from buying a gun except he has mental capacity of 8 or 9 y/o child due to medical issue.
Can he legally buy a gun?
View Quote

I hear a BUT…….
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s a serious question.
I know a kid who is “ slow” and he loves guns and knows a lot about guns…he likes to play shooting video games.  He said he wants to buy a Glock 17.  I heard he was oxygen deprived during birth and had some developmental issues.  When I talk to him it’s like I’m talking to 8 or 9 y/o but you wouldn’t know it by his appearance.  He “finished” high school couple years ago.
I wouldn’t feel comfortable if he had it was carrying a loaded Glock
View Quote

Again with the missing a.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
Plenty of tards out there living kick ass lives
View Quote

Dr. Lexus says "yes"!

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
The average IQ is 100.  That's how the IQ scale is set.

85 iq is about 15 percentile, ie. 15% of the population has an IQ of 85 or lower.

OP needs to work on his IQ.
View Quote

Is it the average? Or is it the median?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]
From my experience trying to buy guns on gunbroker.com:

Yes; they can buy guns and will try and sell them as well...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#30]
This place wouldn't exist if you couldn't.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#31]
There are nations where the average IQ is below 75, which is where there is significant limitation in intellectual functioning.

Those nations are often sold arms by U.S. defense contractors under export licenses issued by the U.S. Government.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Can a person with below normal IQ buy gun?  I believe  Below normal is less than 85 on IQ test.  
Let’s say someone who is 23 y/o with nothing to prevent him from buying a gun except he has mental capacity of 8 or 9 y/o child due to medical issue.
Can he legally buy a gun?
View Quote

Hunter Biden can....
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top