Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/6/2024 3:29:13 PM EDT
https://news.yahoo.com/mexican-authorities-thieves-killed-2-194354645.html

3 bodies in Mexican well identified as Australian and American surfers killed for truck's tires

"Thieves apparently killed the three, who were on a surfing trip to Mexico’s Baja peninsula, to steal their truck because they wanted the tires. They then allegedly got rid of the bodies by dumping them in a well near the coast."

"The well was located some 4 miles (6 kilometers) from where the foreigners were killed, and also contained a fourth cadaver that had been there much longer."

"The thieves then allegedly went to what she called “a site that is extremely hard to get to” and allegedly dumped the bodies into a well they apparently were familiar with. "

----------------

TL;DR

Unfortunately, reconsider vacationing in Mexico.

If you're not Mexican, you stick up like a sore thumb.

Even in "Extremely hard to get to places",  still scumbags will find you.

Also. it makes it "extremely hard" for first responders to save your ass.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
One was my friend from high school. Sad shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Gnarly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.
View Quote

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can’t wait
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
People in the US and most western countries don't understand how cheap life is in the rest of the world.  Also hope nobody was drinking out of that well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#7]
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.
View Quote
I live in small town IN and always have.  In highschool a classmate got beat pretty bad because another classmate wanted his "starter jacket" back in the day when those were thing.  Spent a few days in the hospital sort of beating.  Over a jacket.  

The idea of avoiding a place because someone got killed.....  I am sure there have been plenty of murders in your town.  I am equally sure plenty of people have been murdered in my small town over the years, over stupid shit. I am sure of this because humans kill humans in every place on the planet.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely don't drink the water.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Cabo in June.

CANT WAIT!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#11]
Rules for Mexico

1) Never drive.  If you must ride, dual sport so you can ride around roadblocks.  Never stop for anyone but official checkpoints, which might rob you but won't kill you.   Use collectivos in town or contract buses for long distance.

2) Fake wallet with $20-40 inside.  ID inside the fake wallet is an expired driver license or expired passport card.  Real cash or whatever gets hidden somewhere, hopefully you won't get stripped butt naked.  Last time I was robbed they only checked my baggage and patted me down but they didn't check for false bottoms in shoes etc.  They only found $100 which was enough to satisfy them and move on.

3) The federal police at the border are vigilant and you should not carry weapons through the border.  However once inside Mexico absolutely any defensive items can be purchased easily and readily.  IF someone is going to take your life, make them work for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dsmaccullen:
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can’t wait
View Quote

Headed to Cabo in July.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]
went once.  dont care to ever go back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I don't vacation in Chicago either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By miseses:
3) The federal police at the border are vigilant and you should not carry weapons through the border.  However once inside Mexico absolutely any defensive items can be purchased easily and readily.  IF someone is going to take your life, make them work for it.
View Quote

I've been searched for weapons by Mexican military, a good 30 miles inside Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I just spent 10 days in Cozumel, I didn't die.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in small town IN and always have.  In highschool a classmate got beat pretty bad because another classmate wanted his "starter jacket" back in the day when those were thing.  Spent a few days in the hospital sort of beating.  Over a jacket.  

The idea of avoiding a place because someone got killed.....  I am sure there have been plenty of murders in your town.  I am equally sure plenty of people have been murdered in my small town over the years, over stupid shit. I am sure of this because humans kill humans in every place on the planet.

View Quote

Mexico has become particularly violent. Several years ago the TJ murder rate was like 132/100k, vs San Diego 1.9/100k.

Growing up we had three murders in my home town, all by Mexicans crossing illegally.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:08:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#18]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

I don't vacation in Chicago either.
View Quote
And sort of, neither did the people in the article from the OP.

By that, I mean that the vast, vast majority of people who "vacation" in Mexico stay in a five star mega resorts on beach front property.  Or at least in well known and safe areas that are uber tourist and cookie cutter experiences.

They spend their days lounging pool side while regge music pumps through speakers hidden in perfectly groomed palm bushes.  They get served frozen blended drinks by local workers who are sweating through their white polo shirts and khaki shorts.  They spend their nights eating steak while the ocean laps quietly 100 foot away, at a beach front on resort restaurant.  Then they are going to go back to their 5 star air conditioned room with the king sized bed and fuck their wife.

At most, their adventures might be a paid excursion through a known vendor for a snorkle trip or a local culture tour bus.  

The article says these guys went to some remote beach in a truck they rented and decided to go surfing.  That sounds awesome....but it is also not "vacationing", as the vast majority go to Mexico and do.  

I would absolutely recommend one and not the other.  They are COMPLETELY different types of vacations and risks, but the news article isn't going to make that distinction and neither are threads like this one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

In all fairness I ain't going to vacation in Chicago either
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
11 people were killed in Chicago last week alone and I bet most of them looked identical to the people doing the killing.

I'll take my chances in Mexico as a gringo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, fuck that. We used to drive down a couple times a year but we haven’t been back in 20ish years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#22]
Vacation and Third World are two things that I do not think of as working well together.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fastluck13:
Yeah, fuck that. We used to drive down a couple times a year but we haven’t been back in 20ish years.
View Quote

We used to eat in Tecate once a week. And went throughout Baja often.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Last October I drove from San Diego to the Valle de Guadalupe just a bit north east of Ensenada.

I rented the most junky old Toyota the rental place had and still kept my head on a swivel. Had money for bribes in case the police pulled me over. Did not do anything flashy or that would otherwise attract attention beyond my CA plated rental.

The roads off the main highways in MX are usually shitty, and you simply have to be more aware of your surroundings there and try your best to not be noticeable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#25]
Originally Posted By DonS:

Mexico has become particularly violent. Several years ago the TJ murder rate was like 132/100k, vs San Diego 1.9/100k.

Growing up we had three murders in my home town, all by Mexicans crossing illegally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DonS:

Still, I've spent my fair share of time in both TJ and Chicago.  I'd much rather be in El Centro of TJ than El Centro of Chicago.  

During daytime in any business district of TJ you likely won't see any violence.  When I have ventured into sketchy areas people were super nice and just pointed me the best way to get through.  Contrast to Chicago where violent, angry bums have accosted me on the El or parks on several occasions.

I think it TJ you would mostly have to go looking for trouble, whereas in Chicago it comes to you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#26]
And sort of, neither did the people in the article from the OP.

By that, I mean that the vast, vast majority of people who "vacation" in Mexico stay in a five star mega resorts on beach front property.  Or at least in well known and safe areas that are uber tourist and cookie cutter experiences.

They spend their days lounging pool side while regge music pumps through speakers hidden in perfectly groomed palm bushes.  They get served frozen blended drinks by local workers who are sweating through their white polo shirts and khaki shorts.  They spend their nights eating steak while the ocean laps quietly 100 foot away, at a beach front on resort restaurant.  Then they are going to go back to their 5 star air conditioned room with the king sized bed and fuck their wife.

At most, their adventures might be a paid excursion through a known vendor for a snorkle trip or a local culture tour bus.  

The article says these guys went to some remote beach in a truck they rented and decided to go surfing.  That sounds awesome....but it is also not "vacationing", as the vast majority go to Mexico and do.  

I would absolutely recommend one and not the other.  They are COMPLETELY different types of vacations and risks, but the news article isn't going to make that distinction and neither are threads like this one.
View Quote

I've never been on one of those vacations. I spent lots of time in remote areas in Baja, often prospecting with my father. It was awesome in the 70s and 80s. It was changing in the 90s and we started encountering federal police in remote locations (they wore civilian clothes and could have been cartels for all I would know). In the 2000s we started to encounter Mexican military at checkpoints or on patrol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Rules for Mexico

1) Never drive.  If you must ride, dual sport so you can ride around roadblocks.  Never stop for anyone but official checkpoints, which might rob you but won't kill you.   Use collectivos in town or contract buses for long distance.

2) Fake wallet with $20-40 inside.  ID inside the fake wallet is an expired driver license or expired passport card.  Real cash or whatever gets hidden somewhere, hopefully you won't get stripped butt naked.  Last time I was robbed they only checked my baggage and patted me down but they didn't check for false bottoms in shoes etc.  They only found $100 which was enough to satisfy them and move on.

View Quote

How about no.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#28]
Originally Posted By GeistACWM:

How about no.
View Quote

I mean one has to ask the question -- is getting robbed of $100 every few weeks worse than getting robbed of 30% of your paycheck.

The US government arguably is a more burdensome and violent robber than the municipal police and cartels.  And I would argue the right to bear arms is much stronger in Mexico, seeing as basically anyone who wants automatic weapons can have them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Staying way the fuck away from Mexico isn't a recent thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]

I mean one has to ask the question -- is getting robbed of $100 every few weeks worse than getting robbed of 30% of your paycheck.

The US government arguably is a more burdensome and violent robber than the municipal police and cartels.  And I would argue the right to bear arms is much stronger in Mexico, seeing as basically anyone who wants automatic weapons can have them.
View Quote

We'll miss you......
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:
Cabo in June.

CANT WAIT!
View Quote

just got back!! it was wonderful!! can’t wait to go back next year!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BoogieCookie:
View Quote
But how do you know for sure?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#33]
Visit third world shithole country, expect third world shithole results.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

GD: Impossible!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#35]
View All Quotes

I avoid Chicago too

I spent a month and a half in Playa a couple of years ago and grew up in Mexico as a kid.

But it's not a place I recommend anyone go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#36]
My family and I go to Baja all the time in our GX460 (no need to worry about taking a shit vehicle). Never a problem. But we speak Spanish, know where to go, how to act, etc.

We'll also be vacationing again in Cancun this August.

I suppose it can be dangerous if you go the bad places and act like an ass hat. Is it as safe as mom's basement, probably not. But it's fun for us.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I doubt OP would advocate going anywhere near that shit hole, either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_] [#38]
Baja below Rosarito has been somewhat sketchy for a while. Around 2010ish (hard to remember so long ago), most people started choosing other places to go, at least in the SD surf crowd. Before, $20 bucks to a Federali to fix a broken taillight, or whatever was about the worst that happened. Next came robberies at gun point. Then rape at gunpoint. Then people started dying.

Too bad, great uncrowded surf, but those guys knew what they were getting into, especially if they went down there with a shiny truck like it looks like they might have.

There was an account on Instagram "Demoler" that gave great updates on Mexico's cartel violence, but it's been quiet for a while. Most months there are around 2,000 confirmed deaths, and quite a few missing people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Rules for Mexico

View Quote

Any self defense advantage possibly gained by procuring defensive items from the types of people who have them "easily and readily" is more than offset by the reality of interacting with the types of people providing such items "easily and readily."

Some of you have seriously skewed ideas of risk management.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BoogieCookie:  I just spent 10 days in Cozumel, I didn't die.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Who was advocating to vacation in Shitcago? Your point is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#42]
There’s some sketchy areas here in the states where people end up dead plus we’re allowing said 3rd worlders who would kill you for less in droves.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FannyPackZach:
One was my friend from high school. Sad shit.
View Quote

Damn, really?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
We go to Barcelo in Riviera Maya, the resort is at least a mile in length and you never have any need to leave it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Went to a Cancun resort last year , Santos , kind of a shithole
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Also don't vacation in Chicago. Great point.
I for one never will again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:

By all means. Start hanging out in Mexico, Mr. Mellencamp. See how that goes for you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Rules for Mexico

View Quote

"Last time I was robbed."

So there were at least two times to have a first and a last.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
People in the US and most western countries don't understand how cheap life is in the rest of the world.  Also hope nobody was drinking out of that well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Rules for Mexico

At a certain point, you'd think he'd re-evaluate his approach.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top