Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DollopLobber:

You went to the most touristy and expensive place in the Yucatan Peninsula. Tulum is now a shithole tourist trap ruined by the hipster Instagram crowd. Go to Puerto Morelos and stay at the Amar Inn right off the beach. Ignore the chickenshits that never leave moms basement. There is zero data to suggest American tourists are not safe in Mexico.
View Quote

One thing I will say about Mexico, is nothing is standardized and you have to be careful not to get ripped off on things like taxis. We went fishing one morning.  Asked the taxi driver how much, he said $25. Okay whatever.  Next day took an Uber to almost the same place....like $7

When we tipped the boat people I handed the cash to the skipper expecting him to dole some out to the deck hand.  Fuck no, right in his pocket.  So we paid the kid to give a ride back to the resort.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By OSUBeaver:

One thing I will say about Mexico, is nothing is standardized and you have to be careful not to get ripped off on things like taxis. We went fishing one morning.  Asked the taxi driver how much, he said $25. Okay whatever.  Next day took an Uber to almost the same place....like $7

When we tipped the boat people I handed the cash to the skipper expecting him to dole some out to the deck hand.  Fuck no, right in his pocket.  So we paid the kid to give a ride back to the resort.
View Quote

Always take an Uber. Avoid using taxis at all costs in México.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:

I usually take one of my Invictas because they look expensive, keep perfect time, and I can easily hand them over if robbed. Honestly though, I do that whether I'm traveling abroad or within the US, unless I'm carrying semi-auto protection.

$32 during Amazon Days

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/615PRKt8QoL._AC_SY741_.jpg
View Quote

I'm wearing a lower cost Seiko. I have relatives who migjt be able to get me a carry permit (it's not impossible for foreigners, last I checked), but I don't think they would and I'm sure use of force laws down there suck. Plus all of my stuff is in a prohibted caliber, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]

You went to the most touristy and expensive place in the Yucatan Peninsula. Tulum is now a shithole tourist trap ruined by the hipster Instagram crowd. Go to Puerto Morelos and stay at the Amar Inn right off the beach. Ignore the chickenshits that never leave mom's basement. There is zero data to suggest American tourists are not safe in Mexico.
View Quote
The beach at Puerto Morales used to be stunningly beautiful.  Haven't been there for years. I'm sure the beach is still fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#5]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

Headed to Cabo in July.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dsmaccullen:
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can’t wait

Headed to Cabo in July.

You tourists can't understand how Mexico's make-believe gringo trap vacation spots are not representative of real life Mexico. Go vacation in the same location in Baja & report back, if you make it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

@azjogol

You don't need a passport for Rocky Point, or anywhere in Mexico within 200 miles of the border.

Just bring your state issued driver's license.  Birth certificate if you want to go overboard.  It's not a big deal at all.

If you're staying in American neighborhoods down there, it's probably Las Conchas which is very very safe and low key.

Eta:  your expired passport also works at the border
View Quote

@Your1Savior awesome! Thanks for the info!

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#7]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
To each his own, but spending $500 a day at a fancy hotel on a beach that I can't leave isn't really my idea of vacation because it removes the entire essence of vacation which for me involves travel, food, new experience, physical activities and conversations with people. People at work in hospitality industries can certainly be part of the people experience but I would feel unaccomplished if that was the sole source of people or if it were just party people.

Honestly, I think the surfers were on a real vacation. I think going to a resort is more like going to a shopping mall.

I find one of the best ways for me to enjoy a locality is by being with people from that locality. The explanations and the fact that I don't start out like a clueless, awkward kindergarten child with respect to local manners is helpful to me.

View Quote
You can leave the resort as much as you want.  And we did the first few trips.  Not at all trapped like on a sterile (except for norovirus and e-coli) cruise ship where if you get off you have to get back or get left.

Priced motels/hotels in popular tourist areas lately?  Just for a smallish room.  I stayed one night in the Fairfield Inn at Kodak TN Saturday before last.  Motorcycle trip.  $237.00 (I had a free night voucher or it would have been a small town mom and pop).  Add in the cost of 3 really good restaurant meals, snacks, and drinks.  Not far off resort pricing.  Check out the prices for a nice hotel near Yellowstone or GNP.  Just the room only can run more than a nice resort in Mexico.      

We take grandkids on trips.  We love off-the-interstate long road trips.  I take motorcycle trips, sometimes long, and sometimes take a grandkid along.  Going to Mexico for us, now that we've touristed around the area as much as we've wanted, is two weeks of chill out at a place where no kids are allowed.  Our vacation choice nowadays is not binary - go to the resort or go somewhere else.  We 'get both' since I'm retired and my wife has more paid leave accumulated than she can reasonably use before she retires.  Before I retired we went to Mexico every second or third year and on the off years we took the grandkids we were/are raising (was 3 and now down to 1) on a two-week vacation somewhere stateside.  We're still so busy that crashing for two weeks a year in Mexico is really, really nice.

Where we go doesn't get boring.  7 restaurants, 11 bars, 2 food trucks poolside, a snack bar, and a coffee shop.  46,000 sq ft main pool, 30,000 sq ft long and skinny pool fronting some of the buildings, and a small pool that is screened off from everything by tall hedges.  Lots of shady spots and trees.  Live entertainment and activities, considered to be one of the best or the best in Mexico, from early to late.   The place is big enough that you can find peace and quiet.  A lot of staff to talk to. Guests (18 to 80) from all over the world to talk to (mostly USA, Canada, and Western Europe). Not cheap enough to attract trashy people and not hoity toity enough to attract the snobby wealthy.  Sprawling and never crowded.  Effortless living.  First-time guests who stay for less than a week or so that we've talked to hate to leave and plan on coming back.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

You tourists can't understand how Mexico's make-believe gringo trap vacation spots are not representative of real life Mexico. Go vacation in the same location in Baja & report back, if you make it.
View Quote
Sorta like Disney World isn't representative of the USA.  Outside of Disney World the entire rest of the country is just like the poverty-stricken Mississippi Delta and backwoods Appalachia.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
Statistically, it is safer for American tourists in Mexico than Americans in general in the US.  And how many of the homicides of Americans were people screwing around with drugs?  IDK.

Stay out of sketchy places in both Mexico and here and you'll be safe.  There are certainly a lot more sketchy places in Mexico.  I wouldn't be trying to buy crack in West Dayton after midnight anymore than in a dark alley in Mexico.  For example, the shuttle people that run the trip from the resort we like to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen advise to stay on the 5-mile long pedestrian walkway 5th Avenue and the blocks between 5th and the beach, especially at night.  The danger mostly is robbery.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to follow that advice.  

"While it's true Mexico has a significantly higher homicide rate (28 per 100,000 people) than the United States (7 per 100,000 people), data suggests violence against American citizens remains rare.

In 2021, 75 U.S. citizens died by homicide in Mexico, according to the State Department. That represents a small fraction of the more than 28.8 million Americans who went to the country over the same time period. Using those figures, the murder rate of U.S. citizens in Mexico was around 0.26 per 100,000 visitors, significantly lower than the rate in the United States."

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/how-common-is-violence-against-americans-in-mexico/

View Quote
I'm a married, college-educated, white, male in his 50's, with annual household income in excess of $100K a year. I'm going to bet I'm safer here at home than I would be as a tourist in Mexico.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Mexico is the Wild West but only the criminals have guns, act responsibly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By runcible:

I'm a married, college-educated, white, male in his 50's, with annual household income in excess of $100K a year. I'm going to bet I'm safer here at home than I would be as a tourist in Mexico.

View Quote
Biden is dumping a lot of illegals on Florida.  A lot of them are criminals.  Give it a couple of years and Mexico will be safer.  The criminals will all be here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I'm curious as to how you know it's safe and what measure you are using for that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Originally Posted By beardog30:

Meh.  Went last year.  It was safe and fun.  There were areas we went I wouldn't go at night.  In fact we always stayed at the resort at night.  Good food, affordable prices, and a good safe time.  Don't do stupid shit and you're good.

I'm curious as to how you know it's safe and what measure you are using for that?

Because he stayed at a resort. Resorts have hired security and deals sorted out with the locals and such. It's as safe as it gets in the third world.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I see a pattern here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Originally Posted By VACaver:
My SIL wants us to have a family reunion somewhere in Mexico. My wife is pissed because I won't do it.

You don't even seem to know where in Mexico, but have already decided you won't do it. And, I'll bet you throw out your shoulder patting yourself on the back over how logical you are as opposed to driven by emotion.

I don't care where it is, I won't go to Mexico. I've been there enough times in the past to know I don't want to go again.

And save you snide comments. For some reason you seem to have a case of the ass with me and it's time to put you on ignore.

I see a pattern here.

Yeah, I see one alright.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#14]
You went to the most touristy and expensive place in the Yucatan Peninsula. Tulum is now a shithole tourist trap ruined by the hipster Instagram crowd. Go to Puerto Morelos and stay at the Amar Inn right off the beach. Ignore the chickenshits that never leave mom's basement. There is zero data to suggest American tourists are not safe in Mexico.
View All Quotes

Is that so?

Sorta like Disney World isn't representative of the USA.  Outside of Disney World the entire rest of the country is just like the poverty-stricken Mississippi Delta and backwoods Appalachia.

Indeed. Not all of the USA is low rent, but there's certainly plenty of it. The difference between here & Mexico is being a gringo in the 3rd world with no rights & no guns. No thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Oh I fully understand that sitting in a pool by the ocean with a margarita in my hand does not represent the “real” Mexico. But I don’t go for the “real” Mexico, I go for the drink and pools.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Headed to Cabo in July.
View All Quotes
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can’t wait

Headed to Cabo in July.

We go to Cancun several times a year. Absolutely love it. We travel off the resort and check out the history and culture.  It’s a beautiful country run by criminals.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By grampapaco:
We travel off the resort and check out the history and culture.  It’s a beautiful country run by criminals.
View Quote

-are you referring to Mexico or the country just north of it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hatidua:

-are you referring to Mexico or the country just north of it?
View Quote

Both. Final answer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a solution to all of this Mexican cartel crime shit.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#20]
You can leave the resort as much as you want.  And we did the first few trips.  Not at all trapped like on a sterile (except for norovirus and e-coli) cruise ship where if you get off you have to get back or get left.

Priced motels/hotels in popular tourist areas lately?  Just for a smallish room.  I stayed one night in the Fairfield Inn at Kodak TN Saturday before last.  Motorcycle trip.  $237.00 (I had a free night voucher or it would have been a small town mom and pop).  Add in the cost of 3 really good restaurant meals, snacks, and drinks.  Not far off resort pricing.  Check out the prices for a nice hotel near Yellowstone or GNP.  Just the room only can run more than a nice resort in Mexico.      

We take grandkids on trips.  We love off-the-interstate long road trips.  I take motorcycle trips, sometimes long, and sometimes take a grandkid along.  Going to Mexico for us, now that we've touristed around the area as much as we've wanted, is two weeks of chill out at a place where no kids are allowed.  Our vacation choice nowadays is not binary - go to the resort or go somewhere else.  We 'get both' since I'm retired and my wife has more paid leave accumulated than she can reasonably use before she retires.  Before I retired we went to Mexico every second or third year and on the off years we took the grandkids we were/are raising (was 3 and now down to 1) on a two-week vacation somewhere stateside.  We're still so busy that crashing for two weeks a year in Mexico is really, really nice.

Where we go doesn't get boring.  7 restaurants, 11 bars, 2 food trucks poolside, a snack bar, and a coffee shop.  46,000 sq ft main pool, 30,000 sq ft long and skinny pool fronting some of the buildings, and a small pool that is screened off from everything by tall hedges.  Lots of shady spots and trees.  Live entertainment and activities, considered to be one of the best or the best in Mexico, from early to late.   The place is big enough that you can find peace and quiet.  A lot of staff to talk to. Guests (18 to 80) from all over the world to talk to (mostly USA, Canada, and Western Europe). Not cheap enough to attract trashy people and not hoity toity enough to attract the snobby wealthy.  Sprawling and never crowded.  Effortless living.  First-time guests who stay for less than a week or so that we've talked to hate to leave and plan on coming back.  
View Quote
Yellowstone and other wild parks are vacation for us. We rent a Sprinter van. It's expensive, but the combination of transport/home allows us to explore and experience.

Just don't care about pools of various shapes, live entertainment, lawn chairs, food trucks, effortless living, lounging about.

I don't want service. I want travel. A resort doesn't count for me.

I know I'm on vacation when I wake up before dawn despite the fact that my flat feet are aching and  I can't wait to get back on them knowing that I got some places to see that will walk that ache off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.
View Quote

What does this have to do with the op?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By azjogol:
My client has 2 houses in the Rocky Point area right on the beach. They've invited the wife and I to go with them  several times, and from what I understand, the areas they have houses are mostly owned by Americans, but the locals are beyond friendly and stop what they're doing to help a gringo. The only reason I haven't gone is I no longer have a passport, however, I am considering getting my passport again so I can go and do some chilling and fishing.

View Quote

@azjogol
I just got back from a 4 day trip there yesterday- first time. I had a great time. It’s sketchy in parts but with even a little bit of common sense and cursory Spanish phrases folks that arnt pushy vendors are polite and happy to interact with you (take your green backs).

It’s a good experience. It was weird to lay down my safety blanket for a week and go somewhere that I would never go without it. Folks do it every day. You’re not going somewhere asking for trouble, you’re just going somewhere riskier than normal with no back up plan.

Be polite and act like a guest in someone else’s house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got back from a cruise in Mexico. Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Mazatlan. Amazing as always and never felt unsafe.

Going to Cancun in July and staying at the Marriot. Really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m in Mexico right now for a work trip. I vacationed in Cancun last summer with my family. Cancun was great. We left the resort once and had private transportation arranged. Never felt unsafe.  Our vendors here hold no punches that basically any city in Mexico has a certain amount of danger. Not just for tourists but for anyone. They have been stopped on the highway and robbed before. I don’t plan to make it a habit coming down here for work and it’s really a shame. This family treats us like royalty while here and it’s a gorgeous area in the mountains.  It’s weird. I never feel u safe but it’s just a little unsettling all the time knowing the possibility exists. They said the government is so involved with the cartel that it will continue to get worse. They also said that when trump was president there was pressure to clean up the government in an effort to drive more us business to the country. They said it is going downhill since trump.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Blackout here where I'm at in Mexico, so here I am sitting in the dark, lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By John91498:
Just got back from a cruise in Mexico. Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Mazatlan. Amazing as always and never felt unsafe.

Going to Cancun in July and staying at the Marriot. Really looking forward to it.
View Quote

I'm sure a lot of people who got robbed, kidnapped, &/or murdered in MX "felt" safe right before things went into the weeds. Situational threat assessments are best not made based on "feelz".
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:18:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#27]
I live in small town IN and always have.  In highschool a classmate got beat pretty bad because another classmate wanted his "starter jacket" back in the day when those were thing.  Spent a few days in the hospital sort of beating.  Over a jacket.  

The idea of avoiding a place because someone got killed.....  I am sure there have been plenty of murders in your town.  I am equally sure plenty of people have been murdered in my small town over the years, over stupid shit. I am sure of this because humans kill humans in every place on the planet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.
I live in small town IN and always have.  In highschool a classmate got beat pretty bad because another classmate wanted his "starter jacket" back in the day when those were thing.  Spent a few days in the hospital sort of beating.  Over a jacket.  

The idea of avoiding a place because someone got killed.....  I am sure there have been plenty of murders in your town.  I am equally sure plenty of people have been murdered in my small town over the years, over stupid shit. I am sure of this because humans kill humans in every place on the planet.

Um, there actually are statistically significant differences in the murder (and other crime) rates in certain parts of Mexico and Chicago, compared to the average small town.

Now you can argue that, with a little caution your likelihood of being murdered is still very low, but to equate average small town with Mexico or Chicago is simply not true.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#28]
As much as I love where we go in Mexico there is another type of days on end trip I like a lot better.  My wife doesn't ride with me so I don't get away more than a few several-day rides a year with the occasional longer trip.  I still like to ride long, hard, and fast (phrasing).   Got rid of the Goldwing in my avatar since it was too sedate and porky.  Sunday before last.  The bulge on my hip isn't fat.  I was packin OWB.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I might have to go there for work at the end of the year. I'm dreading it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:52:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#30]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
I might have to go there for work at the end of the year. I'm dreading it.
View Quote
Beats going to India for work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#31]
It's true. Trump was making all of North America Great Again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

True that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Mexico City is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.
View Quote

I wouldn't vacation in Chicago either. I lived in the suburbs and worked in the city for many years. I know what kind of scumbags live there. I try to stay out of big cities altogether, especially if they're managed by democrats.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Well at least you can carry in the US. Most of it anyways.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Any self defense advantage possibly gained by procuring defensive items from the types of people who have them "easily and readily" is more than offset by the reality of interacting with the types of people providing such items "easily and readily."

Some of you have seriously skewed ideas of risk management.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By miseses:
Rules for Mexico

1) Never drive.  If you must ride, dual sport so you can ride around roadblocks.  Never stop for anyone but official checkpoints, which might rob you but won't kill you.   Use collectivos in town or contract buses for long distance.

2) Fake wallet with $20-40 inside.  ID inside the fake wallet is an expired driver license or expired passport card.  Real cash or whatever gets hidden somewhere, hopefully you won't get stripped butt naked.  Last time I was robbed they only checked my baggage and patted me down but they didn't check for false bottoms in shoes etc.  They only found $100 which was enough to satisfy them and move on.

3) The federal police at the border are vigilant and you should not carry weapons through the border.  However once inside Mexico absolutely any defensive items can be purchased easily and readily.  IF someone is going to take your life, make them work for it.

Any self defense advantage possibly gained by procuring defensive items from the types of people who have them "easily and readily" is more than offset by the reality of interacting with the types of people providing such items "easily and readily."

Some of you have seriously skewed ideas of risk management.

Black market guns in a back alley sure I see your point, can you not buy knives at a store though?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
Mexico is the Wild West but only the criminals have guns, act responsibly.
View Quote

Not true at all. The locals have armed themselves too.

There are legal ways to own guns and non-military calibers, but some areas will still arm themselves for protection.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
There is a solution to all of this Mexican cartel crime shit.  
View Quote

There is no Cartel that wants attention. Carjacking isn't cartel work and is some street thug junk. Cartels do not want to interfere with the money making tourism industry.

Look at how the cartels have turned over guys for shootings as a peace offerings when the shootings went against the acceptable norms. Like our gang stuff here..... that no one wants to talk about.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
View Quote

So just like CA
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By UV18:

So just like CA
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UV18:

So just like CA

It's actually been a while now.

I forgot how loud people are here and how early it all starts. Must suck to be a graveyard shift worker here, lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#41]

It's actually been a while now.

I forgot how loud people are here and how early it all starts. Must suck to be a graveyard shift worker here, lol.
View Quote

Yep. Some places are super busy and there is no sleeping in. Up and to work is the norm. Concrete structures do a great job of echoing the sound too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BoogieCookie:
I just spent 10 days in Cozumel, I didn't die.
View Quote

How do you know? You might be dead, and you just don't know it.

Hell, maybe we're all dead, which would explain all the crazy stuff going on around the world, maybe we all ended up in the bad place.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By miseses:

I mean one has to ask the question -- is getting robbed of $100 every few weeks worse than getting robbed of 30% of your paycheck.

The US government arguably is a more burdensome and violent robber than the municipal police and cartels.  And I would argue the right to bear arms is much stronger in Mexico, seeing as basically anyone who wants automatic weapons can have them.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Posted above that I’m in Mexico for work right now. I was in Kanpur India in October. I’d come back to Mexico several times a year before going back to Kanpur. Absolute disgusting hell hole everywhere you look. I mentioned not feeling unsafe in Mexico. I never felt safe in India at all. It was always uncomfortable. On top of that it’s the absolute rudest culture I have ever been around.  No one gives the slightest shit about an ounce of courtesy. It was absolutely miserable. At least Mexicans are a polite culture in general…at least where I am.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#45]
We should send an armored division to vacation in Mexico for a few months.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:46:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DollopLobber] [#46]

Is that so?
View All Quotes

Is that so?

Did you even read the article? It said 75 out of 28 million tourists died. That ain't shit. Listening to you guys is like listening to the Europeans I talked to in Mexico City who won't visit the U.S. because they're sure they will be gunned down by a white supremist with an assault weapon.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:55:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DollopLobber] [#47]

View Quote

What you're saying is like saying my trip to Charleston in a few weeks to the French Quarter downtown is not representative of life in South Carolina and that I should go to the shithole of North Charleston and report back. The point is, don't go to sketchy places regardless of the country. Mexico is full of safe, wonderful places to visit and plenty of places to avoid.

And no, I don't go to resorts. I rent a car and drive and stay in small privately owned places. I've been all over the Yucatan Peninsula with zero issues. The people have been nothing but kind. Far more courteous and kind than here at home.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Did you even read the article? It said 75 out of 28 million tourists died. That ain't shit. Listening to you guys is like listening to the Europeans I talked to in Mexico City who won't visit the U.S. because they're sure they will be gunned down by a white supremist with an assault weapon.

View Quote

Did you read it? 28/100K (MX) vs 7/100K (US) = 4x greater odds of getting KIAed in MX. Just the facts, ma'am.

Looking at the sheer stupidity of American government & its courting of the criminal element, I don't blame any foreigners for avoiding America, because it is getting bad here. But at least we citizens can still be armed, unlike Mexico, where you're SOL.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Oh I fully understand that sitting in a pool by the ocean with a margarita in my hand does not represent the “real” Mexico. But I don’t go for the “real” Mexico, I go for the drink and pools.
View All Quotes

I go for the fishing and the people. Have made friends with many locals over the years down there.
And before the "You can go fishing here in the US" crowd. Find me a place I can drop a line in 500', less than a half mile offshore, or get to a 6000' trench in less than 20 miles from shore for $200/day.
That's for the boat, not pp.
I'm not an Arfcom millionaire so I go where I can get the most bang for my buck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Ain't that the truth!
Page / 5
Top Top