Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 5/7/2024 1:33:27 PM EDT
https://www.xda-developers.com/reasons-people-moving-windows-11-back-to-windows-10

Windows 10 reaches 70% market share as Windows 11 keeps declining

Recently, StatCounter posted a chart showing that Windows 10's market share is growing, while Windows 11's is shrinking. This flies in the face of what Microsoft has planned, especially given how Windows 10's end-of-life date is looming in the distance. As such, I wanted to do some research into the topic; did StatCounter's statistics get things wrong? Or are people downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10? While there's no way to state without a doubt that people are downgrading, I did find people with pain points with Windows 11 that might be contributing to the system's downfall.
View Quote

Some argue that Windows 11 still offers little to no benefits for upgrading, especially in light of Microsoft killing some of the system's unique features, such as Windows Subsystem for Android. Add to that the ever-increasing number of ads, some of which are quite shameless, and you get an operating system that has a hard time winning hearts and minds and retaining its customers.

Later this month, Microsoft will showcase new AI features for Windows 11, which could become the first solid reason to leave Windows 10 behind. However, rumors indicate some of the most exciting parts will not be available on existing hardware. Therefore, customers who do not plan to upgrade their PCs simply have no reason to stay with Windows 11.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's because windows 11 sucks balls.  Pop up ads and they still haven't fixed the taskbar.  Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I went from Windows 7 to Windows 11.  I used a few machines with Windows 8 and they were HORRIBLE!  I bet $50 that a lot of Indians were involved in that GUI - what a mess!

I don't find W11 that objectionable, not enough knowledge to compare to 10.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I just want my Windows XP back
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two computers with Windows 11 and one with Windows 10 (not upgradable).
I far and away prefer Windows 11 and I wish I could upgrade my other computer.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Microsoft Windows Vista Startup Sound

Ive been on windows 11 for a couple of years, no issues with it and it's optimized for gaming.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I just dove into windows 11 and i'm less than thrilled about it.  I haven't found anything it does better than 10, and plenty it does worse.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t really believe the statistics.

As part of my daily job, I get to see a lot of tooling that detects and reports my operating system (Windows 11 Pro) between browser agents and command line tooling.  It’s probably 50/50 split as whether or not something reports it as Windows 10 or 11.  The worst offenders are the browsers.

Most third party stats are generated from browsers hitting trackers in websites.  They’re not good data in the slightest for this particular nugget.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Win 11 sucks
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My CPU and Win11 don't mesh or whatever, so I haven't used it yet. Are you telling me that an operating system has fucking ads?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JackalnHyde] [#10]
Windows 7 was my perfect Windows OS, just needed to have another service patch.

Windows 10 provides more functionality than 11, they continue to dumb the OS down. Probably go full-time Linux soon and Windows only when needed.

But that being said Windows 11 isn't terrible, it's just kind of blah in its features.

Originally Posted By Tras:
My CPU and Win11 don't mesh or whatever, so I haven't used it yet. Are you telling me that an operating system has fucking ads?
View Quote

Both windows 10 and 11 can have ads, I think... but I usually disable all the telemetry crap they started. It will only get worse. Also Win 11 requiring TPM and lack of compatibility with somewhat older but still relevant CPUs is just dumb imo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]
We are just now starting to shift all our machines over to 11. The gov't has figured out how to optimize the settings to get rid of most of the ads.

We also just updated our software program to be W11 compatible, wasn't too painful.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:
View Quote

Classic Shell FTW
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: klinc] [#13]
Originally Posted By JackalnHyde:
Windows 7 was my perfect Windows OS, just needed to have another service patch.

Windows 10 provides more functionality than 11, they continue to dumb the OS down. Probably go full-time Linux soon and Windows only when needed.

But that being said Windows 11 isn't terrible, it's just kind of blah in its features.

Both windows 10 and 11 can have ads, I think... but I usually disable all the telemetry crap they started. It will only get worse. Also Win 11 requiring TPM and lack of compatibility with somewhat older but still relevant CPUs is just dumb imo.
View Quote

Mine too... You can take an old machine and throw a SSD in it and it will work fine for Windows 10 and even 11 but Microsoft wants to force hardware upgrades on everyone for... reasons.

Years ago I knew there would come a time where hardware still functions fine but software (that still functions fine on said hardware minus self imposed limitations) will force upgrades and here we are.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn’t care for 11, until I moved the start button back to the left corner where it belongs, and I changed it to use the windows 10 context menus when I right-click something (aka the “More Options…” second menu, which should be the first and only one).

After I made those two changes, W11 is way better than it was and generally works fine.  But without those two changes, it was painful.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed any.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#16]
View Quote

Yeah, but you can turn them off.
Personally, I haven't seen any ads on my W11 yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I love that everytime I get a windows update my homepage automatically becomes yahoo.

Nobody under the age of 60 uses fucking yahoo
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

I don't think I've ever noticed any.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Depends on the version. 11 Business and 11 Enterprise don't have any of that shit. I'm on 11 Enterprise and have never seen an ad. They also get rid of the pre-installed 3rd party apps.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Windows 10 has generally been pretty awesome.

My work laptop has Windows 11, and it's fine as most of the funny business is handled by corporate IT.

I have no interest in migrating my personal machines off Windows 10 until they are end of security support. I have no incentive to do so, I don't want to use my Microsoft account to log in to my local machine, and a few of them aren't compatible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

Depends on the version. 11 Business and 11 Enterprise don't have any of that shit. I'm on 11 Enterprise and have never seen an ad. They also get rid of the pre-installed 3rd party apps.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

I use Windows 11 Home and I haven't seen any ads - yet.
Windows 10 also had ads in the Start Menu exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:01:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#21]
I've had no problems with Win11 Pro or Home. I turned off the telemetry stuff and currently running a 12600K and my wife is running a 13600K. No ads, either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]
There's hardly any difference between 10 and 11 under the hood except for a few security things.

You can make 11 look like 10 with a few taskbar adjustments.

Windows 10 goes end of life Oct of 2025.
You can still upgrade to Windows 11 from 10 for free.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

This x1000.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#25]
The next major release will be called "Windows 10 Classic."

ETA the last time I toured the Combat Information Center (CIC) on a US Navy shop, XP was still in use there.  It's been several years so that may no longer be true, but at the time XP was no longer supported for regular users.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm slowly allowing Windows 11 to infiltrate new machines at work.  Why?  Because I know Microsoft will shove it up my ass at some point really soon...

Fucking hate Microsoft...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]
It has been saying for years my machine doesn't meet the requirements to upgrade to Windows 11. *Shrug*
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I still have an xp box. I kept it because microsnot fucked us older gamers. I had several tc files for Battlefield ‘42, the original COD, and Doom3. Those won’t even load on 10. Most of my “new” OS is Ubuntu. I can run a few of my older games under WINE.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

"Suggested Content" is how they phrase it.

One reason I have a 3rd party menu bar is that I pin the applications I want to it. If you use the built in tiles, MS likes to sneak in apps from their store before the thing You're actually looking for.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Every other windows version sucks.

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
The next major release will be called "Windows 10 Classic."

ETA the last time I toured the Combat Information Center (CIC) on a US Navy shop, XP was still in use there.  It's been several years so that may no longer be true, but at the time XP was no longer supported for regular users.
View Quote

Just like Coke Classic.

I hear Windows 98 was great. I think it got its name from satisfying 98% of the users needs. It was just a coincidence it came out in 1998.

I don’t know why people are complaining about Windows 11. I probably don’t have enough apps on my machine for it to be ignoring to me.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

Just like Coke Classic.

I hear Windows 98 was great. I think it got its name from satisfying 98% of the users needs. It was just a coincidence it came out in 1998.

I don’t know why people are complaining about Windows 11. I probably don’t have enough apps on my machine for it to be ignoring to me.

View Quote

I have PTSD with being a system admin during the Win 95/98 era...  Users expected me to "fix" their computers when they crashed...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#34]
The Win 11 license supports downgrading to 10, if you are inclined to do so. Last new PC I bought with 11 got a new drive and 10 installed right after I took it out of the box and had everything activated and documented. All the 11 drivers worked fine on 10.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I've not had any issues with Windows 11 but I was a late adopter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#36]
"it's the last windows ever"
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't imagine being that big a computer nerd that I'd go back an OS version for small reasons.  Win11 has been fine for me on my work and personal computers.  *shrug*

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:25:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#38]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

Yeah, but you can turn them off.
Personally, I haven't seen any ads on my W11 yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/sma1_jpg-3208012.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/SMA2_jpg-3208013.JPG

View Quote

Unless I missread that, it is not turning off all ads, its turning off personalized ads.

So let me get this straight?  I'm supposed to buy the OS AND they get to push ads?

Fuck.    Off.

ETA: As others hinted at its always been every other release that is good.  If you are on the good one you can be sure the next version will suck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:

I have PTSD with being a system admin during the Win 95/98 era...  Users expected me to "fix" their computers when they crashed...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
Originally Posted By Bat15:

Just like Coke Classic.

I am thankful we were supporting applications running on DEC systems. VT terminals with the occasional clones. Being a DEC OEM, we did very little support for the clones. Basically we asked if it was plugged in and turned on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
I have two computers with Windows 11 and one with Windows 10 (not upgradable).
I far and away prefer Windows 11 and I wish I could upgrade my other computer.

View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: st0newall] [#41]
windows 2022 server datacenter master race checking in (runs on two dell laptops). its basically windows 11 with all the crap and helper things removed. actually more efficient than win11.

and it retains the old style taskbar.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I upgraded to windows 11…

Then my computer started shutting down randomly…

And then I downloaded the latest patch at the time…and it stopped shutting down..:

So I don’t know???

Maybe my computer is a POS or windows 11 is a POS. Get both?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#43]
Win11 was the straw on the camel's back that finally convinced me to go all-Linux. It's been disheartening to watch the best OS platform decay into a cesspool of confusing/inconsistent GUIs, ads/telemetry, and forced cloud accounts.

Funny enough, a lot of Windows software now works better on Linux than it does on Windows. Wine/Mono have gotten really, really good since Valve got involved. I'm down to about 2 - 3 Windows applications that actually require Windows.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Every other windows version since 3.1 has been good while the ones in between have sucked.
View Quote
2000 and XP were both good. NT3.51 and 4, if you count the NT side before they merged.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
I love that everytime I get a windows update my homepage automatically becomes yahoo.

Nobody under the age of 60 uses fucking yahoo
View Quote

I'm under 60 and use yahoo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By memsu:

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad
View Quote

Except 10 is only good if you didn't have 7 or xp.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:51:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#49]
Originally Posted By memsu:

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad
View Quote

Win 12 (good if the trend holds) is rumored to be out late this Fall -
Just stay on 10 until 12 comes out, after 10 is close to EOS in late 2025 and skip Win 11 (bad).
Its sort been this way for a while, you could sometimes skip the bad version and go to a newer good version.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Computer security is not sexy and goes un-noticed but is never the less very important.  The reason for upgrading your hardware for Windows 11 is for hardware based computer security.  Yes; Microsoft has an annoying habit of changing the name of features and how to do things but it is very easy to type into a search engine "how to do "X" on Windows 11.  Turning off annoying features is similarly solved.

Not upgrading your O/S is the computer equivalent of "defunding" the police".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Top Top