Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 9:28:18 AM EDT
Thought I’d see what everyone’s preference was for 10mm carry ammo. Social setting not the Alaskan bush. Currently have a couple boxes of each: 155gr barnes double tap, Factory XTP 180gr and 155, 200gr HST/punch and a couple hundred rounds of critical duty. Want to consolidate on one to stock up more of then duplicate a lead bullet loading to train with. Any and all recommendations are welcome. As of now I’ve been carrying critical duty. Mostly because I have the most of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:52:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: intheburbs] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
I haven't played much with 10mm recently, but Doubletap was always my preferred.  Georgia Arms' canned heat for decent and spicy range ammo.  Buffalo Bore was my backup.  Lots of folks like Underwood nowadays, too.

For my woods carry gun, I've always stuck with Double Tap because they're the only ones who offer a 230-grain hardcast bullet in 10mm.  Makes my G20 kinda heavy, but I never felt undergunned carrying 15+1 of those bad boys.

Click here DT 230-gr

ETA: For regular carry, I'd probably go with something like THIS

But I'm too much of a girly-man to carry a 20/29 as my EDC.  Woods gun?  Absofuckinglutely.  Normal/EDC?  I'm going with my 9mm pistol.  Muzzle blast from the spicy stuff is on the stout side, especially out of a 29.  I really wouldn't want to fire that thing without hearing protection, especially indoors (shopping mall, supermarket, etc).

View Quote

I’m personally not a fan of underwood though I do like Buffalo Bore. I carried a G29 for awhile made for a nice carry gun have a 20 in the safe but now that I’ve got a delta I find carrying 10mm more and more. I’ll check out the double tap also, the loading I have is there 155gr barnes at something like 1400fps
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I like 180 DoubleTap or Underwood and if I can find it Winchester 175 Silvertips. I plan to try some of the AAC 180 with XTP bullets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I like 180 DoubleTap or Underwood and if I can find it Winchester 175 Silvertips. I plan to try some of the AAC 180 with XTP bullets.
View Quote

I’ve been looking at silvertips looks like a fairly respectable loading
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
1911 full size single stack.
Personal protection. Underwood 200gr eXtreme terminal performance. 1250 fps

Range
Whatever I can find. Currently Freedom Munitions 180gr flat nose.
And their 200gr Xdef @1100fps around the farm to dispatch critters.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The Grizzly Cartridge 200 grainers are FEARSOME as are the Double Tap 180s.  The 200gr that I tried from DT was really under powered
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Just be aware that some of the boutique loadings might be driving the bullet too fast for proper expansion/penetration.  Again, it's been a while, but I remember seeing Youtube videos showing that some of the lighter 10mm bullets, 150 and lighter, when driven too fast were fragmenting on impact instead of expanding and penetrating.  I have a 135-grain loading from Doubletap, and it claims 1600 fps out of a G20 for 767 ft-lbs of energy.  I don't use that as carry ammo, I just love the snap and the blast it makes.  It usually attracts spectators at the range who don't expect such noises from a Glock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

I’m personally not a fan of underwood though I do like Buffalo Bore. I carried a G29 for awhile made for a nice carry gun have a 20 in the safe but now that I’ve got a delta I find carrying 10mm more and more. I’ll check out the double tap also, the loading I have is there 155gr barnes at something like 1400fps

Just be aware that some of the boutique loadings might be driving the bullet too fast for proper expansion/penetration.  Again, it's been a while, but I remember seeing Youtube videos showing that some of the lighter 10mm bullets, 150 and lighter, when driven too fast were fragmenting on impact instead of expanding and penetrating.  I have a 135-grain loading from Doubletap, and it claims 1600 fps out of a G20 for 767 ft-lbs of energy.  I don't use that as carry ammo, I just love the snap and the blast it makes.  It usually attracts spectators at the range who don't expect such noises from a Glock.

Yes a lot aren’t tailored to those speeds. Which is partially why I believe things like the HST/CD work well they don’t have the speed but they are engineering the bullet to perform at what they’re giving it. I’d like to see both at the old norma speeds 1200 for a 200gr HST and 1300 for the 175 CD
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#9]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
The Grizzly Cartridge 200 grainers are FEARSOME as are the Double Tap 180s.  The 200gr that I tried from DT was really under powered
View Quote

Yep, for "heavy & fast" in 10mm, the Grizz Cartridge guys make good loads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#10]

Yes a lot aren’t tailored to those speeds. Which is partially why I believe things like the HST/CD work well they don’t have the speed but they are engineering the bullet to perform at what they’re giving it. I’d like to see both at the old norma speeds 1200 for a 200gr HST and 1300 for the 175 CD
View All Quotes

Federal's 10mm HST load is 'box-flap' rated at 1130fps m.v. (assuming that's from a 5" test barrel). For Federal, that's actually an increase in velocity from the old FBI-Lite days of 1050fps for a 200grn JHP.

Some of Federal's other 200grn 10mm ammo is hotter than that, @1200fps, but those loads appear to be directed to "woods" and hunting applications.  Check out Midway for the reviews.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Federal's 10mm HST load is 'box-flap' rated at 1130fps m.v. (assuming that's from a 5" test barrel). For Federal, that's actually an increase in velocity from the old FBI-Lite days of 1050fps for a 200grn JHP.

Some of Federal's other 200grn 10mm ammo is hotter than that, @1200fps, but those loads appear to be directed to "woods" and hunting applications.  Check out Midway for the reviews.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Suppose I need to go hit the range with the chrono and see what I get
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Winchester Defender.

It's a pretty stout load and the name is a plus if ever needed for self defense.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
200gr HST and 115gr Underwood loaded Lehigh XD.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:
Winchester Defender.

It's a pretty stout load and the name is a plus if ever needed for self defense.
View Quote

Looks like a reasonable choice performance numbers wise.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#15]
Win PDX1 (now Defender) 180 gr @ 1240 fps does it.

Also Hornady 180 XTP @ 1275 fps.

Basically 180 gr at 12xx fps is the prime combo of performance/POI vs recoil to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Federal 180Gn VHP
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:
Win PDX1 (now Defender) 180 gr @ 1240 fps does it.
Also Hornady 180 XTP @ 1275 fps.
Basically 180 gr at 12xx fps is the prime combo of performance/POI vs recoil to me.
View Quote

Agree with this as to the 180grn bullet weight.

While my carry preference is for the 200grn weight in a JHP, I wouldn’t hesitate to load up with Hornady’s 180grn XTP @ 1275fps. I’ve run through several boxes of it. It’s very accurate and controllable.

Top Top