Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 4:36:34 PM EDT
My son is headed there beginning in September.  We are excited for him, but the wife is also nervous.

Could use some insights from any parents here on what to expect.  

Thank in advance,

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trio] [#1]
My wife and I are both graduates.  But I was the second graduating class of full 4 year TJHSST, and my wife was third, so it’s been a long time. Our oldest som chose not to go because of the sacrifice he would have made in other aspects of his life (he eventually played basketball at the University of Florida, and now is in the process of going to med school)

So…if you want to PM me I’m happy to answer any questions I can as a grad who has paid a fair amount of attention to the comings and goings at TJ.

Generic advice?   Remember it’s a bunch of “first place” kids.   Most of those kids are the best and smartest where they’re coming from, and have a hard time if they’re an “average” Jefferson student.   When you’ve always been number 1 and now you’re number 200, kids struggle with that.

Keep perspective.  The incidents of mental health can be high because of the stress of the course load and the need to achieve.  The worst student at Jefferson would likely be in the running to be valedictorian at their base school.  Try to remember that.  And that it’s still high school.  There is so much ahead of them, that no “tragedy” is that tragic in high school…even one like Jefferson.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
PM inbound.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#3]
Although TJ has had some woke bs shenanigans forced
upon them, it's still the gold standard of high schools in
this nation.

I lost a lot of my talented Korean friends to TJ when we
graduated from middle school in '86.  

ETA - I have zero family that attended TJ.

The only person that went was me... to play in a freshman football game in '86.

I have the utmost respect for TJ students.  The woke staff now... not at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top